Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
re: Evil Corp

I don't even think Evil Corp is actually a single massive company but rather, a name for every multinational company out there. Elliot sees that they're all connected by some form or other and so just groups them all as one big entity.

In the same way I don't think F Society is the name of the mysterious hacker group that Eliot sees. He just sees what they're doing and summarises it as 'gently caress society'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, E Corp is supposed to be one big multinational conglomerate. They mention that the security firm he works for gets most of their business from them.

I think that's my point though. Elliot is crazy and we don't even know if half the characters he sees or talks to are even really there.

He's a completely unreliable narrator until we get that Fight Club moment at the end of the season/series.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The show is legitimately good (although not really your typical USA material). Haven't really seen much discussion of it here but does anyone else think they're telegraphing that F Society or at least Mr Robot not being real a bit too hard?

Just in the last episode we had

• Slater/Darlene again not interacting with any other human beings.
  • Elliot looking at the two paintings of the same farm.
  • Elliot being comfortable with Slater's touch but nobody else's
  • Elliot needing to get high before he can 'see' F Society again

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ukle posted:

Going to spoiler tag this, even though its just supposition.

This is seems to be Fight Hack Club.

Elliot and Mr. Robot are the same person there were many clues previously but in this episode their were a few solid hints that Mr. Robot doesn't exist and is just a figment of Elliot's insanity. E.g. Darlene going to his apartment for instructions, Mr Robot appearing at Elliot's office yet nobody seemingly able to see him. The whole take down Evil Corp plan is all Elliot's.

We've been talking about this for a while and I think we have yet to see Mr Robot do anything real or be directly acknowledged by another person. I though Darlene was fake as well since she was the one who always prompted Elliot to do something but I guess this episode kind of disproved that.

Between the scene with the homeless guy and the BDSM it seems like USA has started to muscle into HBO territory.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure she used her cheating boyfriend's badge to get in.

Wouldn't they have video surveillance though in the building though?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

adrenaline_junket posted:

The dinner party was probably the most bizarre part of the episode. I know that the theme of the episode was finding people's vulnerabilities, but what is Wellick planning to achieve with the wife of the future CTO?

My guess is he will string her into an affair (or perhaps a prize for his wife), then use it to put pressure on the other guy to bailout of accepting E-corp's CTO offer.

In a gross kind of way, I found him challenging her on the toilet to be kind of sexy. Especially when she responded in kind and gave him a beaver shot. She knows what's up, and was perhaps hoping to have lured wellick away with her toilet remark?

I got the sense that the wife was the real power behind the couple. After all, she was the one who arranged the position for her husband and she knew exactly what kind of person Wellick was the minute he barged in on her in the toilet.

I think she's going to end up being Wellick's partner in crime and sell her husband for a position at ECorp.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm more surprised Microsoft chose to advertise on this show.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Daddy Robot and the Family Society.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

:psyduck:

waht

fresh gently caress was
this

Ooookay but...didn't Angela mention Elliot's dad legit being dead, though?

If Robot Dad is real then he would have had to fake his own death.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

adrenaline_junket posted:

This was probably the craziest part of the whole episode! Are we supposed to believe that his wife aborted their child with a meat skewer just to get him away from the cops?

She didn't abort the child, she was due to give birth soon and so broke her own water to induce the birth earlier to save him from being questioned.

Doctors and midwives do it all the time for a variety of reasons.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

VDay posted:

What if Elliot is actually the dog and he's been pissing and making GBS threads all over his apartment this whole time?!?!

Elliot's the fish and he's just bored. All these problems could have been resolved if somebody could have bothered to move the goddamn fishbowl.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Calling it now but his psychiatrist is the one knocking on the door.

Tyrell is either dead or locked up somewhere given that there's no way he'd disappear for days without letting his wife know.

The husband from the pilot has no idea where Elliot lives and the police aren't going to give a poo poo about it since they have bigger things to focus on.

im gay posted:

Is BD Wong/Old Dude the bad guys now setting up a new world economy?

I assume with all the different nationalities there, it's some Illuminati type poo poo.

BD Wong made the comment about Nero wanting to see it all burn down so I think he's just a member of the illuminati/super 1%er who's sick of all the other illuminatis and wanted to see everything just fall apart.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Agreed.

There is a lot more going with the CEO. He is completely secure in his position despite overseeing the biggest financial catastrophe in history. He knows about Eliot, is a member of that Illuminati group and is acquainted with White Rose. Even if/when E Corp recovers, it's going to be a shell of its former self, which will likely have a severe financial cost to the CEO, but he is not terribly concerned with the situation. The hack seems to have benefited him - most likely in covering up some other nefarious activity - probably the work of his Illuminati friends. The people at that gathering would have likely lost billions in the fallout from this hack, and no one gave him so much as a dirty look.

He's completely secure in his position because as he said, he's still the head of the world's largest and most powerful company. Sure they've lost access to all their data for now and billions of dollars on the stock exchange but massive multi conglomerates like E Corp don't just die overnight. He still has more resources available than most countries and given the size of E Corp, will probably eventually get bailed out by taxpayers once things have calmed down.

The people at the gathering might have lost a shitload of money but it's not exactly the end of the world for them given how much more they own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
To be fair, goons can be pretty bad at watching TV. I mean, what is this, the local?

• Locked thread