Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
E01 callback speculation:

Did Mr. Robot arrange with Ray for Rome to be killed? Was that the deal Mr. Robot made with Ray that Elliot can't remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Re: above spoilered speculation

On further consideration, I'm starting to feel that Elliot drawing the line of "I/we is/aren't killing anyone" is what manifested "our" presence in the first place. In S01, Elliot was able to make Mr. Robot back off from his homicidal plans. So if Mr. Robot is now killing people (or having them killed), that sort of undermines a lot of Elliot's gestalt.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

crowoutofcontext posted:

There is a vaguely telling scene in the E4 promo where [suff happens that is speculated upon]

A neat idea, but it immediately occurs to me that Mr. Robot would not at all hesitate to cheat (by being in, and therefore able to read, Elliot's mind) to win the match.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

empty baggie posted:

Yeah, I remember back in grade school when my friends and I were just starting to learn the game, and we would stalemate all the time. Granted, we only really knew the very basics of the game and had little knowledge of any sort of strategy, but it seemed to happen quite frequently at the time.

Stalemates, or draws? Draws are relatively common, but a stalemate is a special kind of draw in which no legal move can be made and is not a checkmate. They're really rare to encounter in noncontrived situations.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
:suspense:

This episode, holy drat.

..that's my hot take, I guess.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

The show is real and we're watching a documentary, and its events occur in real time.

I like this theory.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of think that a lot of what we're seeing this late in the season is that - like Mr. Robot keeps alluding to - Darlene is not up to the task of leading fsociety.

Even going back to the "give me your phone" scene from really early on, she's been shown to be gradually letting things slip out of control, and now it's all coming to a head. The dropped tape with her face and fingerprints on it; getting careless about Madame Executioner coming home; bribing the guy at the animal shelter with the presumptively traceable eCoin from the wallet of the person she'd just killed..

Darlene's getting sloppy and/or overwhelmed, and things are falling apart.

I kind of suspect that the remainder of S2 will be at least partially about everything coming down around her ears, and that one of S3's arcs might be Elliot getting her out of the pile of poo poo that's about to rain down upon her.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Darlene is the Daenerys of MR Robot

Nah, unlike Danerys, Darlene is actually doing things. And her arc is seeming to take fewer than three seasons to show any progress.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the FBI. Holy poo poo that was creepy as gently caress. This episode is very tense.

That was the NAEA, not the FBI.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

What is that?

The National Atomic Energy Agency. In charge of everything nuclear.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Annual Prophet posted:

I was a little confused by the statement at the beginning that the viewer now knows the whole story. Was there a straight up recollection sequence with Wellick? I thought that and the immediate aftermath of the hack were still open questions - maybe I missed a piece of an episode?

I think it's more that Elliot was filling us in on everything he knows. He (and therefore, we) clearly doesn't know some things that only his alter ego is privy to.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but why was Mr Robot feeling sick? That's what tipped me off that maybe the Mr Robot we are seeing isn't the actual Mr Robot?

I have a feeling these are filed under "things yet to be revealed".

Hollismason posted:

I dunno it's weird Elliot is crazy and a unreliable narrator.

Uh... Welcome to Mr. Robot.

e:

DopeGhoti posted:

The National Atomic Energy Agency. In charge of everything nuclear.

Gonna go ahead and call myself out on this; the NAEA is what I said in the show (it's on the sign on the wall), but not in reality; the actual organization is the IAEA (the International Atomic Energy Agency). Whether this is just an in-universe difference or if Angela just walked into some kind of scam, I have no idea.

DopeGhoti fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 1, 2016

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ashpanash posted:

So are we to assume that she and Elliot are working together somehow - and that Wellick was just like this other guy she's "dating" - expendable?

I think it's being implied that she and NotElliot are working together (or have done so), unbeknownst to Elliot.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

The sign says United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Where are you people getting NAEA from!?

The collected crossed wires of the IAEA, the USNCR (conflating US to National), and the fact that I watched on TV for once rather than wait for the streaming service's version to drop, so I couldn't go back and check.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sekenr posted:

Ok, I bought the Mr Robot 1.51exfiltration.apk. Anyone played it? From what I can tell so far is that I might have found the phone that Mobley erased and thrown out

Not likely. The mobile game takes place midway through Season 1; prior to the Steel Mountain hack.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Exfiltration:

"E", who always types in lower case, is clearly Elliot. Am I to understand that That Guy Who Texts From Different Unknown Nunbers And Always Capitalizes Every Word is supposed to be Mr. Robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Max posted:

At one point, "E" gets mad at you and slowly starts typing as Mr. Robot with every letter capitalized.

Interesting. I didn't get that (or, if I did, it was so subtle that I did not notice). Thanks for confirming my interpretation though!

• Locked thread