Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joose Caboose posted:

Joe Biden and John McCain both were on Parks and Rec

And Michelle Obama!

Trailer looks amazing, hyped for Season 2, maybe we should change the thread title to reflect the new season's start date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

Am I the only one who finds this season irredeemably boring and trite so far?
Usually I have incredibly low standards for TV shows and watch them all the way through, but I guess this one isn't for me anymore. It's a shame, since I really liked season 1.

In this case, yes, you are literally the only one.

Love this show, love the cinematography, love the editing, love the sound.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ornithology posted:

Another criticism is that the results of the hack on society are underwhelming. People are still working their every day jobs despite money losing its value? Except for a few rioter/looters and Obama on the TV everything is business as usual...?

I find this totally believable. People seek out the comfort of their normal routine when poo poo goes bad. Money hasn't lost it's value, one major company got hacked. Even after 9/11, people went to work and everything the next day.

Society is not disrupted so easily.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The institution theory could be true, by why would he still be seeing his old therapist instead of one at the institution?

I think constantly trying to have a "big twist" isn't something this show should be about, I really don't want it to become hacker :lost:.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder if part of this is due to the episode being put online before the actual premiere.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tokelau All Star posted:

The institution idea makes sense, but then who the hell is Craig and what's he doing there with a dog?

Yea, people were saying Craig is an orderly who has some sort of side thing he's working on, which would make sense, but no loving institution is going to let someone bring their dog in.

Even less so for a prison. And what about the pyro girl with the red wheelbarrow? Are people assuming she's completely not real because Elliot called her his "totem?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Actually, as someone who's been institutionalized (briefly), they do actually let dogs in as therapy animals. Usually once or twice a week some places let trained volunteers bring in well behaved friendly dogs for people to pet/be around. So he could be using that as a pretense to try to recruit Elliot.

Is there therapeutic burning poo poo in wheelbarrows too?

E: VVV After a certain point, "X thing Elliot sees isn't real" becomes really lazy writing. He's got Mr. Robot already, how many other visual hallucinations does he need?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 16, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

One thing: what do you think the author's intent is with the scenes when Elliot's ranting for an extended time (the consumerism speech to his therapist in the first season and the recent religion rant)? It's like, basic teenager rebellion stuff but do you think we're supposed to be on Elliot's side or think he's unhinged?

I fully think we're supposed to think he's unhinged, at least in the atheist rant scene. That stuff was literally pulled straight from r/atheism or a freshman Philosophy course. It's the most basic and facile refutation of the concept of God.

Plus afterwards he seems pretty ashamed of himself and wonders if he actually said all that poo poo out loud.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I didnt paid that much attention to the moves, but I play chess since I was a kid and I never had a stalemate, and I dont think is even possible to have one with that many pieces still on board (I might be wrong about that)

I've played chess way less than you and had plenty of stalemates, they're not nearly as rare as you're making them out to be.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

bunch of people here who've never been in an institution think they know what they talking about

No poo poo. Even if you think Ray works there, no one is letting a staff member take someone outside and beat the poo poo out of them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Institution theory people, answer me this, and please do it without saying "Well, she's actually saying something else and Elliot's brain is filtering it to what we hear."

Why did Darlene ask about where their mom is if he's actually not at his mom's house?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

She said "Where's the she-devil" or something, which could just refer to his nurse.

Why would she call his nurse a she-devil? It's been established she hates their mom, now you're claiming she hates his nurse for no reason?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

seaborgium posted:

There's usually only one, maybe two people on at night for the staff of a halfway house or institution. It wouldn't be that hard if you were the guy on duty to sneak in some people.

There's security cameras, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't know what marble cake is, but the password being "Joshua" was a WarGames reference.

Also, I loved the sitcom opening so much. Was laughing my rear end off.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Portia doubleday "crying at my mother burial" part in the 90s intro is the best thing.

It's SO FUNNY. She starts out crying, turns to camera, the credit comes up and she tries to do the "smiling for sitcom credit" thing but just breaks down crying again. I died laughing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Maybe she's just a prisoner that likes to burn poo poo

I would imagine prisons frown on people starting fires, even contained ones in a wheelbarrow.

Paperhouse posted:

It would be completely loving stupid

Yea, he's just an old pervert. With all the Roger Ailes poo poo that just came out, it's a good time to remember that rich fucks feel entitled to literally anything, including people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Was I the only one who heard the music in the opening scene and immediately flashed to Zap Dramatic's Ambition series?

...I'll show myself out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is DID a real thing now? I thought it was on the Otherkin level of special snowflake.

It's always been real.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To be fair, I would also want a free steak if I got shot in the neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

How would I even get them a steak I'm on a ambulance and the hospital doesn't serve steak. I'd have to had gone to a store, buy a steak, cook it , and then bring it to them. Oh I forgot to add the reason thy got shot in the neck was that they were a transvestite prostitute and someone discovered that they were in fact a transvestite prostitute. Also, this was the 2nd time this happened to them.

Haha, man, I was joking.

• Locked thread