Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

adrenaline_junket posted:

Have been waiting for this thread to appear since I watched the pilot last week!

One word: Amazing!

I couldn't believe how fantastic the pilot was. I'm really hoping that it continues to live up to the hype. The attention to detail was intense, and its adherence to real life social engineering/hacking added to the immersion!

Loved the first episode. And this little detail in the subway walkway of side-by-side ads for E Corp and a movie:

Easier to read as the camera goes past

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ I don't know if it's coincidence or a deliberate choice by the show but every time I see the tilted E Corp logo I "replace" it in my mind with this other evil one:

Above Our Own posted:

Calling the big bad mega corporation "EvilCorp" is blatant almost to the point of parody and I hope it indicates that the show has some self-awareness. I wouldn't mind seeing an inversion of the angsty hacker trope although that probably aint gonna happen.

The realistic hacking is refreshing. Nobody who doesn't work in tech will give two shits though

The inversion of the angsty hacker trope is Tyrell Wellick, senior VP Technology who started out exactly where Elliot is now.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 28, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

The biggest thing is

• No one has yet to make eye contact with Slater besides Elliot

Also the positioning in this scene:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That episode was amazing. All hell is breaking loose at Allsafe and we see this when Gideon is looking through his Sent emails.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Howling Man posted:

Christian Slater is so good playing the devil on the shoulder.
Yeah he's great in this role.

Elliott being with "his mom" is so hosed up. Previously he said that as a boy he would choose the train car most likely to crash because he'd rather die than go home to her. And now she's his safe space. While Season 1 was like Fight Club we are now past where that movie ended and into unchartered mental territory.
Elliott laughing with that old music playing was very effective - in creeping me out.

Everything this season has been cranked up. The $5 million ransom was just another prank by F Society to gently caress with E Corp who took it so deadly seriously and hoped the payoff would work.
The psychologist storyline has a lot more tension underneath the sessions as they play their tug of war.

I don't even know where Angela's head is now. Is she on the inside of Evil Corp with some kind of plan for more revenge or is she really hoping for a career? Is E Corp using her for her connection to Elliott?
And poor Gideon, I did not see that conclusion coming until seconds before it happened :cry: He was the only person Elliott had positive internal monologue about.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 16, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
My guess: In the arcade, Elliott and Tyrell wrestled over the gun. It went off, injuring Elliott. Wellick made it look like a suicide attempt and ran.

There are a lot of modern (60s and 70s) literary references, it's hard to say what they're all pointing to. ee cummings, Waiting for Godot, The Red Wheelbarrow by Willaim Carlos Williams; works in which form and content affect each other to create deeper meaning.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Maelstache posted:

Any significance to the music being used when Elliot was throwing up the pills, other than it being a really great Philip Glass piece? Just wondering because it was used notably in the The Truman Show, a film about a man whose entire life is an artificial construct. Hmm.

Angela had dinner with Philip Price (and the other men) at a restaurant named Fidelio, which was the password in Eyes Wide Shut. Not the first Kubrick reference for the series.
It's also the name of an opera about a woman who puts on a disguise. Don't know the significance of any of this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

What was the symbolism of the ALF driving a car? In the original ALF show he wasn't able to do things like drive. I think him learning to drive was a foreshadowing of Angela learning to hack.

ALF (Alien Life Form) represent both the happier time period for Elliott, and also the alien or outside forces which affect his life and the lives of people around him (Gideon), that he has no control over.
Another nice touch was when Elliott was in the hospital and ALF was on the tv (the source of ALF being in his dreams), ALF says "Call the newspapers - Democracy is dead".

And ALF could drive. In S1E10 Baby You Can Drive My Car, he buys a Ferrari for Lynn and drives it home.

Jst0rm posted:

just caught up with the thread. :) Everyone is doing great in here.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Maybe it's because I watch this show high as balls, but I am really enjoying the slow-burn.

gently caress the haters, plot development can wait, let's dig into these characters a bit.

Yes! Gimme 4!

<Laugh track> <Audience Applause> /cut to E Corp commerical #3, We're Still Working For You.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread