Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Really hope they get to play off Eliot's relentless whiteknighting and largely unreciprocated dependency from the majority of the cast. At least with Portia Doubleday's character he has a deeply internalized, repressed emotional codependency, and I'm glad they effectively killed off any chance of a rote romance between the two in the key/wedding dress scene, his romance with Kayla seems more like experimentation and quizzical observation than anything serious. That being said, at least his whole situation for the time being neatly contrasts with Tyrell's, who, besides his BDSM wife, really has no one rooting for him or is dependent upon him outside of a corporate standpoint. While Eliot has slowly and begrudgingly committed to the fsociety scheme, Tyrell is wholly driven by his will to power, something Eliot is entirely disengaged from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Did they definitively establish that Tyrell got the CTO position, since he seemed brushed aside for another candidate in the 3rd episode, but was mentioned as E's CTO in a news broadcast in the next episode? Or is this another weird point just manipulable by the unreliable narrator conceit?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I laughed my rear end off at Eliot having 4chan open in a background tab in the second episode

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Kreygasm

I wish they didn't feel the need to show the obvious but still, Eliot is 100% fsociety now

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Ehud posted:

This was a fantastic episode. Man, I was on the edge of my seat at the end.

Also, major kudos on keeping the tech stuff pretty believable. I work in the criminal justice tech world, so this was a lot of fun for me.

Definitely, a lot of stuff is congruent with the real life workings of corporate security, the only jarring thing is how inept everyone else but Eliot at Allsafe is at their sole job, but I'm sure you can write that off as the subconscious superiority that Eliot feels as the Doogie Howser of network security.

Should have listened to Tyler Durden you idiot

steakmancer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 30, 2015

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Shayla had a history of being roofied by Vera so she could have just been taking a nap in the trunk the whole time

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm uh, really rooting for Wellick to end up CTO but I'm not really seeing it in the cards here!! Only 3 more episodes to see where the hell he lands after this, also to see how Ollie fucks up Angela's gambit

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm 100% sure this was part of Wellick's keikaku actually, a true politico at work

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh man the supposed plot leak sounds really cool

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Really expecting Mrs. Wellick to be White Rose tomorrow, and that Eliot will end up joining EvilCorp in some way through some Tyrell manipulation and for the fsociety cause

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
drat the leak was right

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

What was it? Father or sister? And we can now tell its a modern drama because incest made its way in.

Essentially Eliot's dad never died and turned Eliot into an autistic hacking machine with some good old-fashioned familiar neglect

They didn't say anything about the Darlene issue tho

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Tyrell probably knows about some of the crazy poo poo that Vader did to put Eliot in this condition

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
You're gonna trust Eliot's amnesiac, autistic eyes on this one?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I think they played really well on audience members assuming Darlene was some dream pixie hacker girl archetype to compartmentalize her behavior instead of actually looking into it and that's just one of many capitalizations of trope that this show has utilized so effectively

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure Tyrell is the deuteragonist here as in the second character to root for

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Joe Gillian posted:

Yeah, he'd be pretty evil if he didn't actually give a drat about what he did half the time. He certainly didn't fully intend to stoop as low as he's done on his own volition, couple that with his huge sense of remorse over the CTO-to-be's wife's murder, and I can say that he's not quite irredeemable yet. He could honestly end up coming out of this as an anti-hero if they wanted to go that route.

He even found god in the last episode so I think we're about to experience his messianic, redemptive arc

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Tailored Sauce posted:

Nice parallel (stole this off of Reddit):

"I mean, I guess I'm a pretty sick guy."

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

The first bit sounds like "Foreground" by Grizzly Bear and that got me really excited but no

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Think Durden and Bateman are actually going to take down the Italian capos who secretly run and fund Evil Corp, each with their own dysfunctional, tender families of their own

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Rami Malek stole every scene in the Pacific

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
https://vimeo.com/174148258

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I just hope the two were old internet friends and connected without ever having seen each other until the show

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Grem posted:

Hello fellow chess nerds, stalemate isn't even possible in the situations they were in, unless it was repeated moves, which is just ridiculous to consider with so many pieces on the board.

Also they were both horrible but Mr. Robot used one of the worst openings I've ever seen, twice.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I understand only the basic fundamentals of chess and it looked pretty bad, even to me. So maybe that was intentional?

Snooped around Reddit for the chess matches they were playing and they're all famous artificial games where people try to stalemate as soon as possible

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

sticklefifer posted:

I know everyone loves the attention to detail this show has. I spotted one in this episode.

When Elliot was on his computer in the opening flashback where Darlene came to his apartment on Halloween, you could see Utorrent open on his screen for a brief moment. The version number in the title bar was 3.2.1, which was released in early October 2012. So unless he was still using an older version and ignored updates for a long time, we have a specific date for when Elliot first let Mr. Robot take over: October 31, 2012.

Do we know how long Elliot had been working at Allsafe?

I mean it's a flashback dude

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
loving hope Tyrell isn't dead

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

What did that guy get injected into his finger? :goatdrugs:?

NANOMACHINES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Elliot and Meryl streep's daughter are 100% going to gently caress

• Locked thread