Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I thought it was OK, although I'm not sure if I can deal with this conceit for five seasons - one or two, maybe, but five, eh.

Eagerly waiting for the following episodes: a. people around MC learn he's been chaperoning their private lives, tell him to gently caress off; b. something unequivocally good happens on the societal level without the slightest bit of the MC's involvement, MC's brain can't deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I'm not sure, at this moment, if it's important to me whether the things Eliot is perceiving are real or not, and if only some of them are or if maybe he's living in a Truman Show Matrix. (The feeling I personally got is that he's actually that new CTO of ECorp Tyler-Durdening himself an Eliot, those two were uncomfortably close in that scene.) It's like... it doesn't feel important to the plot, or a plot point, so far. The story, right now, as of two episodes, is good whichever way it is. And, furthermore, there is a rich tradition of people expressing interesting points of view via mad characters (see the Victorian 'madwoman in the attic').

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Show's still OK. I'm glad that the Refusal of the Call (it would be nice to be a part of the normal society, after all, etc. etc.) lasted only one episode.

I'm still not sure if I'm up for more than one season.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Its a weird thing that there was this moment where wellick reassures his wife by talking danish to her but like they just subtitled it in english the same way as the rest of the conversation and you might not even notice theyre talking different languages to begin with. Strange
Well, I didn't, because I know neither of these apparently two languages. Which were they? Danish and...?

Similarly, uh, any nerd translated the Chinese in the previous episode?

Crankit posted:

Get this, Mr Robot isn't Elliot's imaginary delusion friend, he's actually Wellick's imaginary delusion friend!
I still stand by that *Elliot* is Wellick's imaginary friend. Mr Robot is Wellick's imaginary friend's imaginary friend.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

He speaks swedish and she danish
That's a cool tidbit. Like I said, one I wouldn't have noticed on my own.

To what extent are they mutually intelligible, by the way? I remember the original Broen/Bron being Danish/Swedish, with characters on each side of the bridge speaking their own language and apparently mostly understanding each other. Is that realistic?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Ehud posted:

I like Gideon. He seems like a genuinely nice person who is trying to be a good boss.

Which is why I think something horrible is going to happen to him.
He probably just 'betrayed' the MC (by pointing out to the cops that the person who 'discovered' the data file had a grudge against... uh, Colby?). If he did, he may have a bit longer timespan. (Of course, if he'll want to clarify the situation with Elliot first, yeah, he's dead.)

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
That was OK again. I don't think I understood, in the end, what the MC meant when he was talking about daemons - normally, the analogy would correspond to unconscious cognition, but here, he almost implied that anything that happened independently of him that he did not control was a daemon (for example Angela going against AllSafe?)?

I also did not care for the extremely long withdrawal scene. This goes back to my apprehension whether the series can keep up my interest for five seasons. If they are already playing for time... well.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Oh, I know what a daemon is. I'm just saying that the analogy that immediately occurs to me are unconscious cognitive processes - for example, control of breathing. That's exactly the type of thing that happens essentially in the background. But he's implying that other people are processes, not actors, in the system. Could be a reflection of his sperginess - I'm the only real human here; could be what's actually happening - after all, he's narrating this in the past tense - but I have the sensation that this was just a forced, misfired metaphor.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing but Darlene's excursion really killed that. The more they make it obvious that Mr. Robot isn't real, the more I want him to actually be real because it's so stupid having the show go Fight Club mode when the actual point of Tyler Durden's plot was exactly the same as Mr. Robot's: blow up the credit bureaus.
Oh, this reminds me. An acquaintance recently told me to watch "Who am I - kein System ist sicher": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3042408/ . It's a German 2014 movie that mostly follows the same beats as this thing (a socially maladjusted young adult with a history of mental illness in the family (aha!) joins a hacker group, abuses drugs, has fun until he doesn't). The movie is much worse on the technical side (my favourite bit of dialogue logic: "I used a 0-day exploit" => "You can read machine code?!"), but besides this, it's actually... pretty decent.

quote:

Also the daemon stuff was this episode's "thing the narrative focuses on" and gently caress I really hope they don't overdo that.
You know, we could make a list. I mean, it's not like it's difficult... (Machine) learning processes. Genetic algorithms. Anomaly detection. Clustering. Anything to do with networks. The EM algorithm. And then, junk code... oh god, anything to do with viruses and immune systems, no? Red pills, taint analysis...

Yeah, I hope they don't overdo that, either.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Sober posted:

Yeah from my impression it might've been miniseries stuff, but okay, good for him if he thinks he has 4 seasons (40-52 episodes) worth of material to stretch out to.
That's exactly what has been my reservation since the beginning. The series is OK right now, I just don't think I'm willing to invest into four-five seasons. I'll probably drop out after this one.

Not to mention quibbles such as that technology is going to be completely different in 4-5 years, and this is the one series where it's really going to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Stereo posted:

This episode was great but what the gently caress is up with the toilet domination scene?
Eliot's Evil Twin lives in a bizarro MRA world where dominating someone is the best way to attracting them.

Wikipedia has the names of all the ten episodes this season. 8 or 9 is White Rose, so I guess they won't deal with the Chinese soon.

In any case, this episode bored me. Bromides about social engineering and whatnot; also, I realised I don't care about any characters apart from Eliot's Evil Twin. Have fun watching!

• Locked thread