Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
FUCKKKKK what a brutal ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I really loved how they did the reveal. The initial shot of her body is just short enough that it gives you a sliver of hope that she's just unconscious, followed by a slow and gradual realization that she's really dead, and ending with the gut-punching reveal of her slit throat.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This loving show :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

My guess is that Elliot's dad faked his death and Mr. Robot is really him. Elliot forgot about his father but still vaguely recognized Mr. Robot, and that confusion is the reason why Elliot is so fixated on him to the point of hallucinating about him. Really interested in seeing where they take things from here.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

All the reviews said to stick around after the credits.

Strange.

I think that the post-credits sequence is supposed to be for next week.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished watching the episode. Rami Malek deserves a loving Emmy and it's a shame that the award will probably go to Mad Men for the 5067th time.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
According to Alan Sepinwall, the finale has a scene that's eerily similar to the shooting: https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/636642494617403397

Whatever it is, I hope the episode isn't permanently censored.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Ashley Madison dumps? How recent was this episode filmed?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
For a finale that didn't really have any huge twists or turns or finality to it, that was really satisfying.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Apropos the Snowdon chat earlier, I think it's interesting that the show really hasn't made digital privacy a central theme (other than sextortion of Angela as a minor plot lever). Fsociety has been attacking databases not because they contain personal information, but because they contain the artifacts of an economic system they despise. (Though in the rest of their lives they don't really seem to express the same passionate hatred for consumer debt and whatnot. More often, taking down E-Corp is its own goal, and we're only reminded of the motivation -- rationalization? -- in the public broadcasts.)

I wonder if we'll see privacy become a bigger theme in S2. It would be challenging to navigate in a way that was both exciting and authentic, but challenging can produce great things.

I wonder if that omission was intentional. I feel like a big part of Mr Robot is that personal privacy is obsolete in the digital age, and that it's impossible to expect that genie put back in its bottle. For all the fearmongering about NSA surveillance programs and superhackers, getting someone's private info is trivially easy to do. Any teenager with a grudge could do what Elliot does, for the most part.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Anyone else catch not one but two Dark Souls references in the season?

Not that it matters either way, but why is it assumed that Whiterose is a transgender woman? There's only two scenes with the character, how are we supposed to know which is their real self?

In an interview (one of the Grantland podcasts, I think), Sam used female pronouns to refer to Whiterose, and said that her male identity at the party was her disguise.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The show's creator has explicitly stated that there are no "twists", that everything is heavily telegraphed on purpose, and that the entire point is the characters' reactions to the events, not the events themselves. But cool to see you preemptively dropping the show so you can fill your need to feel smarter than the media you consume. You sure showed them!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Sam Esmail is going to be directing the entirety of Season 2: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mr-robot-sam-esmail-rami-malek-direct-season-2-1201658646/

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
There's no way Elliot and Tyrell are the same person. I'm pretty sure there's a scene in the show where Tyrell's secretary doesn't recognize who Elliot is.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Zythrst posted:

Hey Tryell = Eliot people, please explain any other character in the show then?

Elliot is Tommy Westphall

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Gideon :smith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

Did anyone try that QR code that was in Elliot's journal? I hate trying to read those off my tv.

http://www.conficturaindustries.com/

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Leon is totally not real

Doesn't the scene with the basketball rule this out?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

Haven't there already been scenes with Mr. Robot interacting with people and it was actually Elliott? I think one took place at a coffee shop.

Mr Robot being Elliot made sense and had a purpose, though. He knew everything about Elliot and wanted all the same things he did, and acted as the voice in Elliot's head to get him to be aggressive in order to achieve those goals. Why would Elliot have a split personality that just talks about Seinfeld all day? I can't see Sam pulling that trick twice.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Emmy noms just got announced. The show is nominated for Best Drama and Rami Malek is nominated for Best Actor in a Drama.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I thought the premiere was paced a bit slow too, but I would chalk that up to the extended episode length than any change in the show's writing.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Max posted:

I would say yes but it was only part one of the premier that was online early.

Do those numbers take digital distribution into account? Because I just waited until the next day to watch it on Amazon.

I think part of it is also that it aired at the same time as the ESPY Awards.

Those numbers are disappointing, but I'm not too worried. This is show is a special case for USA and I'm sure they're factoring acclaim and digital/DVR numbers harder than they would for other shows.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I doubt that he's in prison. Elliot's conflict with Mr Robot hinges on the fact that Elliot could break his routine at any time but chooses not to in order to keep Mr Robot at bay, which makes it more likely that that he's voluntarily committed himself somewhere. The Gideon scene also rules out prison, because why would he threaten someone with an FBI investigation if they were already in jail?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm still really confused about how the episode order got extended so close to the premiere.

The episode order didn't actually get extended; the season is still 10 episodes, but the premiere/finale are both two hours long.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

haha I'm really confused about why someone wouldn't just assume "every Wednesday until it's done".

Maybe someone will get murdered on live TV again

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Remember that initial ratings report that said the premiere was the lowest rated epidode yet? Turns out that more than half the audience either watched it on DVR or VOD: http://www.businessinsider.com/mr-robot-season-2-premiere-ratings-2016-7

I knew the show was popular on digital but god drat.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
:barf: oh godddd that scene :barf:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I doubt that Craig's character is a staff member at wherever Elliot is holed up. That white van he was driving around in makes me think that he might be some sort of repairman.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This is a way better cover than Green Day deserves

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bill :unsmith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Aghhhh this episode was so good. Definitely the best of the season so far, one my favorite episodes of a show this year.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

I know everyone loves the attention to detail this show has. I spotted one in this episode.

When Elliot was on his computer in the opening flashback where Darlene came to his apartment on Halloween, you could see Utorrent open on his screen for a brief moment. The version number in the title bar was 3.2.1, which was released in early October 2012. So unless he was still using an older version and ignored updates for a long time, we have a specific date for when Elliot first let Mr. Robot take over: October 31, 2012.

Do we know how long Elliot had been working at Allsafe?

Halloween would be a good explanation for why Darlene wore a mask and wanted to watch a horror movie with Elliot.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That was really cool and depressing

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Joanna is terrifying :stonk:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
All this time people were speculating whether Ray was into human trafficking, contract killers, or illegal drugs. Turns out the answer was all of the above!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Well that escalated quickly :stare:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Not even one minute into this episode and this is already incredible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Oh my god is this actually going to be the whole episode

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
What the gently caress is going on :psyduck:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Oh my god the commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Back to your regularly scheduled darkness.

• Locked thread