Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The show has, since episode two*, simply used hacking / exploiting as heavy-set metaphors for the human element of the same, ergo blending social engineering out of the two.
This is like the whole point of the show.

* - episode 1 / the pilot is a little bit fan-servicey for a percieved audience, and it does shift away from endlessly name-dropping things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I just finished watching the first season. I had an inkling of the Mr. Robot reveal, but then there are scenes where you see Christian Slater interacting with other people while Eliot's not around, so when the twist came I was like: Whaaaat?

Still enjoyed the hell out of the show though.

Yeah, this comes largely from the classic unreliable narrator rather than the shyamalan-style deception via editing/direction. The biggest clue that what you are seeing is the result of Elliot's world-view and not, actually the real world, is the repeated insert of Evil Corp instead of E-corp.
This is quite heavily directed in the first episode, so from the opening I was looking for what else wasn't genuine. There's probably something to be abstracted from when each is used too, but I couldn't be bothered to pick at that level of it.

At the end of the first episode he asks himself whether any of it was real, which should also have the audience asking that question, and concluding Mr. Robot himself (at least) was Elliot.

"But he touched X / we see him do Y" is very much the result of Hollywood style twists that are pretty cheap.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

qbert posted:

There's a website, I think it was Forbes, that published an interview each week when the show was airing with the technical consultant on the show, and they would basically explain how every tech/hacking thing in that episode is exactly what you would use in real life, and the creator's insistence that the techniques on the show not be bullshit.

This isn't that true though. Sure the terms and techniques are true in a broad perspective, but most of what you see is still bullshit. e.g. Elliot hacking facebook passwords by trying thousands of passwords a second is nonsense. You can head-cannon this into saying he's looked up the username in leaked (hashed) password dumps or such, and is trying to shortcut a bruteforce on that, but largely all his "hacks" against social media are impossible in the manner seen.
There were a few more glaring examples but this one was made such a central theme it was always jarring.

Or maybe I just missed that he was trying to attack a RDP/VNC port to get remote access, but it never seemed like it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Do u even know what you're talking about??? That's literally John the ripper but in seconds rather than minutes. Shut the gently caress up, the on screen hacking is about as good as you're going to get on TV without showing him doing jack poo poo for hours at a time

I know what it is, and I don't care about condensed timescales. It's simply not a viable attack.
It's the only one that bugs me and it's precisely because no matter what ~made for TV~ reason you want to plant as a reason, it's just not something done, even in broad strokes.

It bugs me that it's not possible, not that the mechanism shown isn't a 1:1 replica of doing it for real. I'm fairly sure it's just a hangover from the pilot, which had larger inconsistencies, but they've just stuck with it because it was too central.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

Weirdly, the censored version was like $2.99 an episode

Because $3 an episode is already enough loving.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've seen USA running generic trailers for this again, does that mean a start date isn't a million miles away?

Rumoured start is still June/July.
I'm stoked.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Varam posted:

I'm curious as to how else you could read the Whiterose and Washington Township stuff at this point.
This show is compelling at the moment, because you can throw any idea at the show and find evidence for it.

One reading is chaos theory; Whiterose is suggesting it was the wing flap that set it all in motion, not that she planned it from that point.
Of course, the BttF themes were not subtle, so who knows at this point.

BttF2* had a dystopian present/future by way of a monolithic corporation/figure controlling everything. This was changed by going back in time (to where he had already been) and trying to prevent the catalyst, whilst also being unable to interfere with his plot from the first film (his previous events).

What if Mr. Robot/Elliot is how one person is experiencing living the same period of time again, with a mission to change the outcome? Mr. Robot is the original Elliot on the original timeline, his actions that brought about the end of the world as we know it. Elliot is the re-tread trying to create an opposing reaction given he can't change the actions Mr. Robot took.
He may not even be the same person, but someone else interacting with the timeline in that way. This could explain why Elliot knows almost nothing about his life at the beginning of S1.

I wish I had made a note of all the power spikes & brownouts, because I have a feeling they're not literal and will come into play. If we're going on some form of timelines/chaos theory route they could mark the points where different outcomes could have emerged.
From the last episode we have Angela telling lawyer lady to not call her again right after one. She was deciding to do that at that point. Given how pivotol her investigation of the plant has become that could be key.
From the previous episode there was one as Dom was looking for the diner.

My LOLWHATIF theory is Stage 2 is revealed, and it's Wellick telling Elliot how he has gotten him a job at allsafe and has planted some code in E-Corps server.
What if the prison was this season's distraction, and we haven't noticed every event involving Elliot is a prequel to S1?

* - In the Last Episode Angela says they've come a long way from 'getting high and watching BttF2' - Elliot says they never did do that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'd laugh if phase 2 was just "hack e-corp, but with bitcoin". I'd be perfect on so many levels.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

Someone on Reddit probably would have found a relation by now before I thought of this - but the HANG IN THERE cat poster on the wall in White Rose's test room jumped out at me beyond it's visual absurdity...

Have we seen that poster before somewhere? Was it up in Elliot's apartment at some point? I feel like there's something to it but I can't quite grasp it.

I don't think it's an accident that it's there, given Angela is constantly reciting those motivational audiobooks. It implies they understand her psyche well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

the news report skip

This can equally be nothing though, a lot of TVs and on-demand services or such can skip like this when resumed.

• Locked thread