Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gamesguy posted:

I couldn't find it, can you tell me the search terms?

I am also curious. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Laserface posted:

My only real gripe was how they are trying to portray Elliott as a mentally ill guy with crippling depression due to loneliness who then immediately has sex with a hot girl who lives across the hall and its implied that its not the first time.

I suppose depression is one of those things that some people isolate well and keep from showing (I know I have in the past) but it doesnt really seem like his life is all that bad. well paying job in a field he is interested in, hot chicks all over him, hobby/interest to pursue.

The brain generates the mind and the brain is made out of meat, a construction material known to be unreliable.

To learn more about depression, I very strongly recommend this public lecture from a neurobiologist who's so drat good he's kind of a badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Feenix posted:

The amount of people worried about the future of this show is astounding.

Lost hurt me. I can't allow myself to be hurt again.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I feel like the, "Is he real?," angle is just to amp up our feeling of an unreliable narrator/narrative. The basis of empathy is shared experience, and this gives us the same uncertainty as Elliot and gives us suspicion commensurate to his paranoia. It helps connect us to the work.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I kind of wish they didn't show Shayla, though. Leave it to the grotesqueries of imagination

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's going to be hilarious if Mr. Robot amd Elliot are split personalities and FSociety just goes along with it because they like em both.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

Haha, I didn't notice any of that. I felt it, but it didn't really register. That's great.

BlackJosh posted:

Also Shayla :( man, she was nice I liked her a lot that was really heartbreaking

I wanted to see her make bank as a waitress. :smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Already been answered, but how did you not twig when they were both in the scene before, at work.

Some people watch the show in a 3" x 4.5" rectangle in the lower right hand corner of the monitor and faces can be tricky sometimes :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

She is a model. A playboy model.

So the model look doesn't work for him! It happens to a lot of guys. No shame in it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

As was said in the thread, this is a real-world hacking / penetration testing thing. That or the writers read the same book I did.

Nah, it really is 100% real. And it falls under the lovely category of, "sneakernet."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Supplemental Viewing: A penetration tester's entertaining presentation about 'no tech' hacking

Note: Volume's a little high
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4kfsxF8Tio

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
A victim that wealthy and connected would bring the kind of attention that turns up flecks of skin and eyelashes. He shouldn't get away with it, not really, but we'll see.

Also, I loved the psychologist's head twitch when he said he hacks everyone, as though the shift from seeing a stalker to seeing the physical embodiment of what computers have done to privacy was physically jarring.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

VDay posted:

They've been knocking him down pretty consistently since his initial introduction. Like he set up that super secret meeting with Elliot to woo him and then Elliot just kind of goes "Nah I'm ok" and walks out. Then he gets politely passed over for CTO by his boss without even a meeting.

I agree though and think it's kind of neat that he was setup as like the obvious bad guy of the show and has instead spent the entire time slowly loving up. I wonder if we're heading for a Tyrell/fsociety teamup in the season finale.

Haha, if his being a legit techie turns out to've been a Chekov's Gun situation, I'll be a very entertained man.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Every scene centering around conflict imparted this lovely lingering tension to the psychologist's truncated response. I've got this wonderful feeling that when she cuts through being shaken and speechless, it could go anywhere.

Although I suspect she'll either handle it like a very supportive champ or recommend he find a new therapist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They're really nailing the Unreliable Narrator. This is great!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They need to balance the unreliable narration against him going back.on.his meds, otherwise I'll be with the other guy calling it a soap.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Esmail's successfully using my pop culture like Lego bricks. I really love this show right now.

And what he's doing is itself kind of schizophrenic so I wonder if that's where Elliot being schizophrenic came from? Whatever the case, I feel like anyone he commiserated with on this project probably had a blast

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

empty baggie posted:

I had that same idea. Like later on in the series, another person shows up that ends up being a vision of his dad in his head, but because he's forgotten what he looks like, the audience is presented a completely different person to reflect what's in eliots head.

Haha, I honestly hope they do this. If they could pull it off, it'd be some next level :psyduck:-ery.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They fear bad PR, and feign sensitivity as cover. I'm annoyed because their lack of heart is now my lack of entertainment.

:arghfist:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

The people at that gathering would have likely lost billions in the fallout from this hack, and no one gave him so much as a dirty look.

I just chocked that up to aristocracy. They're above it all and insulated.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That dog is Elliot's tax evasion. He's going to get Capowned.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What was the point of the Psychiatrist plot in this episode?

The show's a great big pastiche; everything is something else. Tyrell's the guy from American Psycho, Mr. Robot is Tyler Durden, and I think the dog will be Elliot's tax evasion and the psychiatrist will be like if Capone had an accountant telling him to watch his poo poo.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Use adblock and whitelist cookies and javascript if you want IT to look kindly upon you

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

If your computers run Windows, yeah maybe don't do that. Not just for the reasons you see in Mr Robot but also that many viruses auto copy to usbs plugged into the infected computer, so the owner may not even be aware they are spreading something malicious.

Definitely true. I had a flash drive infected by a non-networked laptop of all things, and I get home, plug it in and see some hidden executables that would've owned a Windows installation outright.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If Elliot's Tyrell then so much of Mr. Robot is hallucinated that it may as well just be Elliot in a padded call with his stories.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
And season 3 will be cell phone footage of them shooting season 3.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

the great thing about trolling tor is it works for both taskforces

you can silence people who get morally outraged by the loss of privacy by saying, 'we're just hunting pedophiles, you aren't a pedophile are you'
and you can silence people who get politically outraged by the spending of money and resources on a service for pedophiles as 'we're just hunting traitors, you aren't a traitor are you'

its super nice

"Privacy is for criminals," is depressingly effective on a lot of people, too. :smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

n3wt posted:

I actually expected outrage after the Snowden revelations: strangers reading your emails, looking at your photos, logging your calls and your location? The public's reaction: *sad trombone* *shrug*

Maybe it's a generational thing but I know people who lived under the Soviets and the idea of Big Brother watching benevolently to catch "only the bad guys" makes them laugh so hard. There's a guy in Guanatamo who was put in there aged 14 (maybe they've released him now!), the patriot act has been so abused that it's a punchline and we get regular footage of cops misusing their power.
Oh well *shrug* "Privacy is only for people with something to hide!"

It's just too abstract for the average person. Best argument I've ever seen for cutting through that is from John Oliver's new show where he goes from asking people about government surveillance to asking them about the, "NSA's dick pick program; they have copies of all your dick pics:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M&t=1495s

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

If most of the debt was wiped out and banks hosed over wouldn't drug dealers suddenly become even more powerful with all their mounds of cash they have hidden away?

Hell, a lot of Russian oligarchs got their start from being flush in foreign currencies when everything went down.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If Elliot's Tyrell then they're going to end up more incoherent than even the most pretentious animes and JRPGs.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I think Elliot shot Tyrell in the head, like the hallucination.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Grem posted:

What was she saying in Danish? I forgot to check back to find out.

She said, "Hvis du har gjort ham noget, s slr jeg dig ihjel."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Gideon's scene was a god damned emotional roller coaster. And Elliot's cackling? This is the best show. I've got a feeling that when all is said and done, I'll rank it next to The Wire.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not sure what sound design encompasses. How much went into Elliot's cackling? Because that was some ace loving work right there on every level.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Catsplosion posted:

It looks like Elliot is getting picked up by FBI in the next episode, I imagine due to gideon shooting, so the idea of him staying with his mom as a halfway house seems more plausible than a psych ward. It definitely rules out prison.

Personally I just think he's created his own little mental psych ward or is in a prison of the mind due to his mental state and possible meds to get rid of his dual personalities. It could also all be a red herring. Wouldn't put it past esmail to mess with us like that.

Now that you've brought that up, I really hope that's it. Letting us find patterns where there are none. Giving us a taste of the experience. That'd be great.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Angela's descent/ascent into a c-level lizardman skin job is hilarious and crazy. I'm loving this season.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I don't remember any of the hints, but he's a certifiable smooth talker. Maybe he's a conman data broker?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

bbf2 posted:

Could be one of those "the characters are seeing it uncensored but we're blurring it out for the TV show viewers," kind of like how f-bombs are bleeped and whatnot.

Stymies forensic analysis, I bet.

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn't actually know that, but I'm pretty sure Tor doesn't just open with a "Welcome to Firefox!" page and have the Firefox icon, right?

I think Tor functions as a VPN so past having the icon in your task tray, it's as in the background as your DNS server. I think.

CeeJee posted:

It's the ones who think they can combine kindness with murder that are the scariest.

In all fairness, if I were being assassinated, I'd really want to know why. It is a cold courtesy.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 4, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
When did he say there would be things he's keeping from us? Maybe being somewhere other than home is one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

lifts cats over head posted:

Finally caught up with this season but I fear I may have missed something at some point. What is the relationship between Joanna Wellick and the guy she was meeting with and ultimately had her driver kill? I don't recall him from season 1 and I think I may have missed an important scene explaining who he is and what he is doing.

Or, which is also entirely possible, I'm not supposed to know at this point in the story.

He's the parking lot attendant who found Elliot in Tyrell's SUV, claiming he'd been parked for three days.

• Locked thread