Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I'm disappointed, I thought by now someone would be dissecting the dream sequence in minute detail for clues as to What's Really Happening. I guess this show isn't quite popular enough yet to warrant that level of (over)analysis, or maybe people just don't bother doing that any more. I blame Lost.

A lot of it(like all the stuff with the keys) seemed to be kind of rote dream symbolism, but the line Angela has when she says "You were only born a month ago" is interesting. Given the show's only been on the air that long, is Elliot moving toward an awareness that his life is a fictional construct? There's already a degree of fourth-wall breaking going on with the narration directly addressing the viewers. But then you've got events happening all the time outside the purview of the main character, which kind of puts a hole in that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

DaveKap posted:

Speaking of that dream sequence, I think the only reason nobody here is analyzing it is because it's one of those classic "if you try to interpret this, only 10% of you will be correct because most of it is either misleading, pointless, or will only end up mattering in future episodes anyway" types of scenes that, let's face it, we're sick of. All the foreshadowing from Arrested Development and most of it from Breaking Bad was only really enjoyable when you got it presented to you in a Buzzfeed listicle; trying to figure it out live is a pain.

Kind of what I was getting at. I think in general people are less willing to put as much effort into watching shows as they would've done at one time, to actually devote huge amounts of time to puzzling out every single detail. Maybe it's a hangover from the disappointment of something like Lost that actively encouraged that kind of obsessive analysis, but ultimately couldn't provide enough meat to justify it. it's harder now not to be cynical whenever another show ventures into the same territory, especially where things like dream sequences are concerned.

Anyway, the latest preposterous theory I've been pondering is that The Dark Army is actually all bullshit and is just a front for whatever Wellick is up to, because how else would he happen to be in that exact place the moment Elliot showed up, and also "The Dark Army" sounds like a dumb fake name someone made up for a joke. Maybe the whole thing was set-up so he could test/manipulate Mr Robot's crew for some reason, although I can't think of one because I haven't really thought this through.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I like how they initially set Tyrell up to be some kind of super-slick omniscient puppet-master, and then the last two episodes have just basically revealed him to be just as much of a gently caress-up as everyone else on the show. It's kind of endearing how bad he is at being a super-villain.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Any significance to the music being used when Elliot was throwing up the pills, other than it being a really great Philip Glass piece? Just wondering because it was used notably in the The Truman Show, a film about a man whose entire life is an artificial construct. Hmm.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
The notion of Elliot being a "leader" - I wonder if people will start to see him as a hero figure in the post-E-Corp world(if he's revealed as the mastemind behind the hack, which I'm sure will happen at some point). Or maybe he's just developing a messiah complex.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Don't know if this means anything since it's pretty much rote dream imagery, but keys also featured heavily in Elliott's hallucination from S1 E4. Also featured: a dead fish and a creepy little girl delivering cryptic advice(could be the same one Angela met? I can't find any credit to confirm or deny it).

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Another big hint dropped about shifting realities during the first therapy scene. Krysta had no idea about Elliot getting pushed out of the window as a kid, even though he was convinced he had already told her. So are they now in a timeline where that initial conversation never took place?

It's gonna be so disappointing when it turns out Esmail's been playing us with this alternate reality crap the whole time. I can just hear Elliot in voiceover saying: "Wait, is that what you thought was going on? Really?"

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Skizzzer posted:

i just want to make sure, we all know Elliot is like, severely mentally ill right?

Yes, but not everything that happens can necessarily be put down to Elliot being crazy. There's enough peculiarity happening when he isn't around to lend credence to elaborate More Going On theories.

But at this point it's ambiguous enough that it could still just be a total mislead, that's what makes it fun.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Whiterose put loving Trump in power! Of course! I admire the balls of this show to make that an actual part of the series mythology,

Wallace Shawn absolutely killed it in that small part, I hope we see him again.

The reference to "the gently caress-up with Berenstain". Apparently a "Project Berenstain" was mentioned last season but I totally missed that. Not sure whether it's a genuine plot point or just a nod to that meme that people won't shut up about because the internet misremembered their childhood for them. Maybe both?

All the music choices in this episode were on point, especially Gordon Lightfoot. I'm trying to remember where I've heard that theme playing near the end though, when Wellick arrived at the hotel. It's got to be Mancini or John Barry, but which?.

IMDB saves the day, it was Mancini after all.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Tenzarin posted:

They did basically nothing with it and even if it was the other way around it would have no impact on the show.

They don't need to do anything with it at all, it was enough just have it as a thing that happened in the universe of the show. A bit of background detail regarding what the antagonists have been up to and the reach of their power. I'd be surprised if there was any follow-up to it, but who can say at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

timp posted:

I thought for sure that kid wasn't real.

Still kinda do...

Thought that too. When we saw the family at the start it looked like they were packing up to leave and weren't coming back. And then later when Elliot went back to the house with the kid, it seemed pretty much abandoned. They wouldn't drive two hours away and leave their youngest child on his own, surely?

I definitely felt like parts of this episode were more dream-like than usual - stuff like the bizarre conversations at the cinema, "Doc" giving Elliot his flux capacitor to hold, the sci-fi rabbi driving an ice-cream van. I rather liked those little vignettes though, I think they were a bit of a necessity to stop the sadness getting too overwhelming, even if they didn't actually happen.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 30, 2017

• Locked thread