Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
So I've watched all of the show currently out, and I can't tell if it's good or it's just a well-directed spanish soap opera. Can anyone help me try to figure that out? I feel like they said, "We'll make all the hacking real, and then we can make all the characters absurd and it will stay grounded." Like I bet with almost zero googling I could find a retelling of Mr. Robot as a spanish soap modulo the computer stuff.

I'm also not sure if, from a storytelling perspective, it's great to mix massive plot twists that occur for real with massive plot twists built by an unreliable narrator. There's a point in the show where you have to say, "I literally cannot tell what is actually occurring onscreen other than what I am perceiving in the moment, because the directors have taken carte blanche with retcons into a fitting story." Are there other works of fiction that explore this genre?

Also, this show seems to have no sustainable hope for a season two unless they do some really dumb bullshit.

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Anyone gone back over the earlier episodes to see how things stack up in light of the latest revelations? It feels like they've had the story laid out from the beginning.

Someone told me the show was planned as a movie originally. If that's true, then yeah, for sure.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Someone pointed out to me that "I'm your father, and you kissed your sister" is also the plot of Empire.

E:

Accretionist posted:

They need to balance the unreliable narration against him going back.on.his meds, otherwise I'll be with the other guy calling it a soap.

That's almost certainly not going to happen. We aren't going to get the rules for when/where/how the unreliable narrator crops up until the last possible moment. As a result, all we have to predict what will happen next is blind guesses: we literally cannot trust what's going on in the story. We'll probably only find out what we can and cannot trust after we see the story play out, after it's too late to help us. That's why I likened it to a soap: the story defines the characters, up to and including the narrator's reliability, not the other way around.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 18, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Am I the only one who got the vibe from Tyrell's wife that she killed him? She got so mad at his mistakes, it seems like the sort of thing she might do. You know, watch him gently caress up, kill him for the life insurance, blame it on fsociety which the paper trail will say he was clearly involved in?

E: This show is totally a soap opera. I predict hatewatching will start by mid Season 3.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Subjunctive posted:

The first conversation between Elliot and Tyrell is also about Tyrell trying to impress with his tech knowledge, so it's played a little thick.

The worst part is that I know the subject matter of that conversation, and the way they did it was so cringeworthy with :effort: that it didn't even work on that level. If I were Elliot and I had some CTO suck-up have that conversation with me, I'd think he was a huge loving tool afterwards.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 15, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, I think we all do.

Well some goon a page or two ago didn't, so I thought it was worth clarifying at least that not only was it thick, but also really poo poo anyway. :shrug:

• Locked thread