Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Pryce's talk about "god" last ep and the now repetitious thematic mumbo-jumbo about being a god ("I was supposed to be your prophet, you were supposed to be our god" or whatever the quote was), alongside Whiterose's teasing words to Angela got me thinking a whole lot about Otherland, a sci-fi series I read when I was younger in which (from what I remember) the wealthy create ultra-realistic virtual worlds that they can control and live within after their physical bodies erode.

In general I think there's a lot floating around right now with the TIME stuff everywhere, but the primary takeaway for me is that lots of the "time" motifs have less to do with any takeaways where the end result is some form of time travel or related antics, and much more about the physicality and implied mortality of time as it exists and affects these people*, this world, etc. Thus, again, the Otherland stuff. Being able to shed your corporeal self and become a part of some neural network or global consciousness, or alive in a virtual, timeless world, etc. etc. seems as 'big' a scientific idea as any (the singularity, basically), and if this is the ultimate direction the show begins chasing (particularly if it manifests in some more physical vs virtual way) that seems really cool to me. The show is pretty definitively navigating toward some larger, quasi-spiritual idea I think, and this is the one that jumps out at me most.

*edit: in particular because the script of last ep made it a point for Angela to bring up Back to the Future II again with Elliot on the subway, so the many allusions to that movie tonight hearken back to some connection between them, to me, more than to DeLoreans and time travel

The one strange outlier is Pyrce and all of the economic shenanigans, but he seems to have been in cahoots with Whiterose for at least long enough to know about the hack and be okay with it insofar as it would ultimately reposition Ecorp and him as the economic centers of the world through their currency (which, if I understand cryptocoin enough, I believe China could still end up basically 'owning' the mining servers for? This confused me slightly and maybe could've used slightly more meat in-episode). This, however, kind of posits back to my above idea: if Pryce and the economic powerhouse shills want to assert a kind of spiritual control over the physical, capital world through dominion over the economy, he and his cronies stand as demonstrable opposition to the Whiterose/Elliott/Angela camp of non-physical singularity or what have you.

Anyway, it's been a fuckin' wild season, all things considered. There's a fuckload of stuff that's kind of just been lost in the fray and there are about 100 questions up in the air right now, but ultimately it's got me more rabid and curious than a Thing has since probably Lost, so, bring on the finale, I say.

90s Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
have you folks not seen the most recent ep yet or something?

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
"take care of her" iirc

• Locked thread