Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

timp posted:

update: still no notifications, I think I broke it. Going to reinstall it and try again I suppose!

Word of caution to anyone looking to download the game: it's very cool, you should do it, but...don't do what I did I guess, or you'll break it. :lol:

e: in spoiler-friendly terms: I was attempting to coax someone into giving me their login details via text, and during the mission I texted Darlene to ask for her help. Don't do that I guess, or the game might soft lock.

I think this might have been what you're missing: at a certain point if Lois stops texting you, there's an IT helpline for the company you can message that's an alternate pathway for info. It should be in your contacts list. I think you have to exhaust all possible methods at some points in the game before it will progress. It can be a bit obtuse. Of course, that might not be right and it really did soft-lock you out, I dunno. It's definitely a fun little game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

No, she wasn't in it, which was a bit of a disappointment.

My opinion on this episode is a bit up in the air until the finale next week. I'm a little disappointed at the drip-feed of information, but I might be blown away next episode.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah it's a shame, I thought she was an interesting character. I guess we'll have to see if her death is in anyway meaningful for the show or if it was just to get rid of her.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm dying at Dom saying she has "an off and on thing" with loving Alexa, jesus girl get it together

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mameluke posted:

This is the nth week in a row that redditors have failed in predicting her death.

And may they continue until the show's end.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Young Angela was very well cast

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Have Darlene, Elliot and Angela ever been in a scene together? No. Categorically, never. They have never been seen together, on screen, at the same time, in the same frame.

Benson is correct.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That's because Dom is Tyrell. Don't you see?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Benson Cunningham is a plant by the writers of the Mr Robot meant to throw us off the scent of the true meaning behind the show:

White Rose and Price are the same person, and that person is.... THE US GOVERNMENT

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm kinda disappointed that Dom's on-again, off-again girlfriend is an actual human being in this past episode, because it was a lot funnier when I thought she was talking about Alexa.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I never cry during tv shows or movies but that episode very nearly got me. I loved Trenton :( I guess that email will get to Darlene, and from there presumably to Dom.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Actually, it was a sad episode from start to finish, wasn't it? First Elliott in distress, which always really gets me because Rami Malek does that so well. Then Angela, my god. Dom realising her boss is crooked and her whole investigation was worthless. Krista unable to help Elliott. Even Mr Robot finding out his revolution was a sham! And poor, poor Trenton and Mobley. Dreams shattered all over the place.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

bring back old gbs posted:

ummm....forgetting Tyrel?

Everybody got poo poo on in this episode. drat.

oh lmao i totally did forget

yeah that was absolutely awful too, the way he thought it was a lie at first

man I was so happy to see Trenton and Mobley at the start of the ep!! And then they were torn away from me

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

One thing I though it was kinda dumb was mr robot confessing everything to the psychiatrist, why would he do that

It's because Mr Robot is actually Dom DiPierro, who wants Krista to convince Elliot to go to the FBI.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The kid is certainly meant to feel fake -- the whole episode has a dreamlike quality from movie intro to the return of the jacket at the end. The audience is primed to think that every character could be a figment of Elliot's imagination, which Esmail clearly enjoys playing with. And by starting the episode with kid Elliott, you think that Trenton's brother might just be a version of kid Elliott that adult Elliott has created to deal with his guilt and subconsciously stop himself committing suicide. But the kid was real, and everything that happened was real, but all those dreamlike elements serve to make you feel as disturbed and alienated from the world as Elliott is feeling.

I think this is the first episode of the show I've really thought about how islamophobia plays a big part in the background of the show -- Mobley and Trenton picked as the terrorists by the Dark Army because they're Iranian, Elliott connecting with Trenton's dad and brother on a level I think he couldn't if he weren't Egyptian. And it exacerbates the threatening feel of the military presence as they walk home from the beach.

I missed Dom from this episode but Elliott taking the lollipop from Trenton's brother (did we get a name for him?) clearly says that they'll be working together soon so I'm excited for that.

Also I was surprised Trenton sent that email to Elliott and not Darlene since I got the feeling she knew Darlene a lot better than him, but maybe she "trusted" Elliott more after Darlene went off the rails a bit last season with the kidnapping and murder of that E-Corp woman and everything.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 1, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Can't believe how wrong that person is about Mr Robot characters being alternate universe mirrors of Mad Men characters. Clearly Angela is Peggy and Darlene is Joan, not the other way round.

Disgraceful.

BrianWilly posted:

It really didn't help that the kid was acting way too...like, needy and juvenile for the average child of that age to act. I really like children. I really don't like children on television. :v:

I mean, his sister just died pretty brutally for a reason he cannot possibly understand, and now his whole life is upended. But I know what you mean about kids on tv.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was funny how relieved Dom was once she realised what Darlene was up to -- like, 'thank god, she was just conning me, I can go back to FBI mode, I don't have to deal with having a genuine connection with another human being.'

I love Dom.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Also I can't believe Dom would blatantly parade her new lay around in front of her on-again-off-again girlfriend, Alexa, like that. So disrespectful.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Darlene told Dom about her plan to retrieve the keyloggers in her apartment. Dom realized this was an opportunity to out her boss as a Dark Army plant. The interrogation was staged, they’re working together now, because during the sex they realized they weren’t just using each other, they were making love. :colbert:

That's what I thought when they went to the interview, Darlene challenging Santiago about the Dark Army owning the FBI seemed very pointed. Also I don't think it would make sense for Darlene to wait to be dragged to the FBI before explaining herself.

I can only hope that last part turns out to be true.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Thinking more and more about it, that's for sure the plan. They're trying to push him into revealing himself.

I hope this isn't just my wishful thinking because I want Darlene and Dom to love each other.

Edit: missed a page, lol. In response to D&D playing Santiago.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 7, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Really want to rewatch that scene from last season where Darlene killed that woman in the pool, cos what Dom said to her this episode pretty clearly echoed that.

Poor Dom. She still has Alexa though!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

how does whiterose's cups player factor into her schemes

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The ability to wind back time and undo mistakes is the core theme of this season. Angela wants to bring her mum back, but she can't. She kills thousands of people in service of this goal, and ultimately realises she was used. Elliott wants to undo 5/9, but he can't. He finds he can decrypt the data at great cost in life, but ultimately the damage caused to society is far too deep to be fixed like that.

The time travel references aren't red herrings, they're an essential thematic element.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really hope it is a bitcoin miner, because that would make total sense and be completely hilarious.

I'm sure it'll be something altogether out of left field though.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lost answered the major thematic questions is posed, not to everyone's satisfaction certainly, but the things it left unanswered are mostly little finicky things. Lost was a Good Show, with a (mostly) Good Ending. If Mr Robot ended up like Lost that would be fine with me, because I loved Lost!

Buuut I know what you mean when you say you're afraid Mr Robot will end up that way. Lost was a hugely flawed show, but I think most "mystery box" type shows that follow in its footsteps have learned from its mistakes, such that I don't think major concepts like the presence time travel and alternate dimensions are just red herrings. Will actual time travel etc happen in show? I don't really think so, but it seems incredibly likely that Whiterose not only believes in it but is obsessed by it, which drives all her actions and will probably lead to some kind of breakdown or character epiphany if/when she finally finds out that despite all her work and sacrifices it is impossible.

That would be a very Mr Robot conclusion to me!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

If, during the third to final episode of Mr. Robot, Darlene stops in the middle of a scene, looks directly at the camera and says "By the way stop asking questions, because the answers will always just lead to more questions. There never were any answers and it's actually been all about the journey since the beginning." I will find you and I will punch you through the internet.

I will accept my fate if that comes to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, people think there's a collider because they show a collider:

Murky screenshot, sorry.

• Locked thread