Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Watched the whole show last week and enjoyed it quite a bit, but to go back to the Coney Island questions a couple of pages back:

Coney Island was one of the first sort of destination "amusement parks" in the country and was already kind of scuzzy in the 1960s and fell into utter disrepair in the 1970s well into the 1990s. One of the only 'legacy' rides left from the era of non-scuzz is the Wonder Wheel, the ferris wheel in Mr. Robot. One of the things that separates Coney Island from what people think of as amusement parks is that it isn't all owned by Disney/Six Flags/whomever, but is basically just a big long row of properties along the boardwalk that were owned by various different companies.

While it was a Warriors style hellhole for awhile, in the 1990s a group of investors wanted to buy up all the property and revitalize it, which fell apart for a number of reasons but in the end resulted in one of the other long-standing rides (The Thunderbolt) getting demolished and a minor league baseball park getting built on one end. In the early 2000s a group called THOR Equities started trying to buy up the whole drat thing, and their plan was to build a real modern theme park with fancy hotels and so on. People rallied against this, and a lot of the traditional Coney Island structure still exists, though now it's dotted with less moderately less scuzzy pockets of rides/games, an Applebee's, some high-concept candy store, etc.

Anyway, there are still a lot of borderline derelict buildings in little warrens in the areas that never got bought, so that part of it wasn't terribly implausible. I was initially taken aback at the whole "Wonder Wheel operating randomly off-season" because while the area is pretty empty off-season, it's not a private abandoned park or anything; there are plenty of residential buildings within a few blocks of the Wonder Wheel, and even in say November, on any given morning you'll find a sparse but significant number of old Russian couples and tourists and fishermen on the boardwalk. People would have absolutely seen and noticed that the Wonder Wheel was up and running at an unusual time.

But then again, I'm sure people did notice that when they were filming Mr. Robot and either didn't care or shrugged and assumed it was some film crew or something. I'm willing to write off that's why the people getting brunch at the place 500 feet away on the boardwalk in the fictive world didn't do anything either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I just assumed that if society started collapsing a bunch of rich white tech nerds in Manhattan would use that as an excuse to literally cosplay as cyberpunk Gibson hackers and burn through tons of generator gas playing a throbbing techno soundtrack while people outside can't get potable water.

Haven't rewatched the scene but outside of the two Dark Army soldiers that whole room was super duper white dudes, wasn't it? Like to a level not really seen on this show outside of ECorp.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

precision posted:

the place they were at would def qualify as an indie theater for NYC tho
also Shallow Grave fuckin' owns
The 1994 scene was at "Washington Township Mall Cinema", which doesn't appear to exist. I was going to say that I saw a lot of 'arthouse' films at similarly lovely little suburban theaters in NJ in the 1990s, but looking up Shallow Grave it was released to a total of six theaters in 1994, so I doubt Washington Township or its equivalent actually got it.

Back to the Future II was showing at Alpine Cinema, which absolutely exists, I went to go see Thor Ragnarok there two weeks ago. It's "indie" in the sense that it's a small independently owned theater, but it shows almost 100% first run big movies.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Probably more germane to Mr. Robot than any sort of underage romance, Lolita is also generally held up as an iconic use of first person unreliable narration in literature, pretty much the entire book is narrated by Humbert Humbert, the dude trying to bang around with a thirteen year old. The whole thing is him addressing the reader and trying to explain why he does what he does, with a lot of slippage between how he perceived the world and how things probably really occurred.

• Locked thread