Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

siggy2021 posted:

They briefly mentioned Trump running for president last season, so it's sometime in 2015 then. I wouldn't be surprised if they throw Trump in next season and have a ball with it.

As someone who thought season 2 was overall very weak a Trump plotline would make it totally worth sitting through.

(Seriously the prison twist was so hack-y, season would have been way better if they had just straight up shown him in prison from the start.)

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

This. Even if I didn't like season 2 overall, the intros in Mr Robot are always great. It's a very weird thing to be good at, but they do nail it.

For some reason the heavy metal toenail painting opening has always stuck with me.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Prison twist was horrible IMHO. It makes the whole first half of the season so completely boring and devoid of tension, we got like 6 episodes of him just hanging out in a park and loving around on the dark web, and then after all that boring poo poo we get the reveal that he was actually in an interesting setting the whole time.

In my honest opinion, the twist really should have been just the reason he was in prison. If the audience thought he was in prison for the Mr Robot poo poo, and then it was revealed he was only in for the dog thing then that would have at least let us enjoy the prison setting. As it is it almost feels like we were robbed of tension and an interesting storyline, the whole thing was just dressed up to be super boring and borderline nonsensical with the twist being that it was actually an interesting plot all along, just completely hidden from the viewer for no reason.

Mr Robot got good again after that though.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
My only real issue with season 2 was that the 'reveal' struck me as a bad choice, because to me it seems like the storyline would have had a lot more tension and been more fun in general without it? In a way a lot of scenes have less tension/make less sense the way they are shown (unless you know the twist) which is really the opposite of how a good twist should work in my opinion.

Another thing I thought was weird was that it's also technically two twists, first the Prison reveal, and then the second twist, that he's in prison for dognapping and not being a cyberterrorist. . To me keeping the second twist but leaving out the 'Imagining my moms house and hanging out at the most dangerous basketball court in the world' would have only made it better.

Season 2 was good though, I just think it made a bit of a miss-step there.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Rarity posted:

I think it's much more likely to go the opposite direction. It's going to seem to get into alternative universe stuff but any wacky sci-fi poo poo is actually just going to end up coming from Elliott's condition distorting his own reality.

DEAR GOD THIS.

I guess it's a testament to Mr Robot that a lot of its fans love it so much they start believing the main characters insane delusions might just be right all along.

I mean I love him but he's basically Neil Breen.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Mr Robot viewers are like that guy in Guardians of the Galaxy who doesn't understand metaphors.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

T-man posted:

Post/Username Combo is delicious.

Anyway. I've been re-watching the series as well, and I don't think Real Elliot's Dad was abusive, but him mom sure as poo poo was. The way she talks to him in the post-funeral scene is really loving brutal, and I think from the way the camera moves we're meant to think she left him there. Not to mention the one flashback/real-life mesh when he deals with Bill where she's basically screaming at him for having emotions.

Also, Bill is one of the people Elliot thinks of while in prison. I hope he gets to make amends at some point. :smith:

His reaction after pushing Elliot out the window in the flashback seems a bit different to the way he described it beforehand (in the flashback it seems like a genuine accident but IIRC when Elliot described it he said he was unrepentant).

Really on re-watch it kind of struck me how straight forward the actual 'plot' plot is. Once you know roughly what's real and what isn't.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

precision posted:

"Welcome... to the NIGHTMARE DIMENSION"

- White Rose, s3 finale

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
What if Elliot is whiterose?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Birdman is good, and actually has a bit in common with Mr Robot (Both have a warped reality due to the main characters psychosis, a very cinematic style and heavy refernces to other media) so watch both IMHO.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Before we "saw" the thing they showed us (which looked more like the hadron collider than a computer)

Wait are you referring to the nuclear power plant that they refer to as such in the dialog (when the lights dim and he talks about back up generators)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

empty baggie posted:

That and the images they showed while the opening credits ran on the screen are what people are interpreting as a hadron collider. I thought it just looked like a nuclear power plant, myself.

I really do wonder sometimes if this is actually a really deep in joke that I'm missing.

• Locked thread