Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

YouTuber posted:

Listings on Usenet look like "bc0040350d71879e61a759c57eee5f51" and the tracker sites are told how to process it into scrapable content. As for torrenting sites, they're about a small exclusive community so obsufcuating the name is pointless. The episode names are just what people think hackers write.

hes talking about the original purpose of l33t speak, jesus dude be thicker.

The headshotting stuff in S2E1/2 are a pretty sure sign that he popped the corporate dude in the face right? that's what everyone else has been getting from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It's hard to say whether the institutional motif in alot of the scenes are signaling how Elliot feels about his current circumstances or are communicating to us the reality of his analogue life. Certainly the fact that he wouldn't key us into the remainder of his conversation with his psychiatrist means that something is seriously off, and being institutionalized seems like a pretty good fit, even given the current situation. That he went 5 days without seeing Mr.Robot but still stuck to his routine seems a bit off for the character to me, unless he had no other choice.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Comrade Fakename posted:

Craig Robertson's character says he got the journal because he is friends with the "chaplain". Surely, if the the meeting was at a church he would be friends with the minister or the priest, a chaplain is only attached to an institution like a military or more relevantly, a hospital.

I'm no religious expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a pretty big clue.

it looks like its in a gym, so it wouldn't be inconceivable that its a religious organized meeting in an institution other than an asylum

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

hatelull posted:

I'm assuming the hit against the FBI was the Dark Army, and those are the dudes in the Dragon Masks in the elevators. I'm not in the "Elliot is in an institution" camp. Those dudes pulled him out of his Moms home and beat the gently caress out of him on the sidewalk. Nothing about that screamed "I've been living in a mental institution." Darlene has no love for her Mom so the "I still don't understand why you did this to yourself" was not in reference to Elliot checking himself into a hospital, it's that he's living with someone she can't stand for more than a few seconds.

Random speculation about the black bars but this is a horrible topic: They're masking identity so it's impossible to tell the real identities of people auctioned off on an underground website, just in case the real families/authorities are looking?

Question: The scene during the "Previously on ..." lead in where White Rose is reading over the documents and speaking in the Mandarin everyone had a problem with. Where was s/he? Either White Rose is the worst kept secret in China and all those guys are cool with the a key member of government being the leader of a terrorist hacker group or she only messes around with genders when she's in the States? It was such a weird uneasy scene.

I think the minister of security would be capable of keeping a secret within the country they have major power in. Same with keeping certain illicit activities accessible and understood only by trusted confidantes / major power brokers

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why don't you think his friend is real?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If someone is institutionalized then threatening to goto the feds about their activities doesn't strike me as much of a threat. Also the idea of an orderly doing the kind of ahit Ray has been doing like bringing his beat to poo poo employee into the compound seem bad & dumb.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

crazysim posted:

Was it "outside"? Some people have called the row of houses like cell doors. And coverups of beatings are much easier if someone is an authority position.

Don't mind me doc, just bringing three of my unlicensed friends in here to help me move some people around. They're def not hired muscle I got off of my Silk Road website.

You're asking some smart questions

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

savinhill posted:

And breaking into Eliot's mom's house, strolling up in his room, snatching him out of bed, all without any noise whatsoever beforehand to warn him, followed by dragging him outside the house to beat him down without any protest or appearance by his mother or any neighbors or anything is more plausible?

There's definitely something going on with Eliot's environment and experiences that he's misrepresenting to the viewer and an institution is the best explanation I've seen. Why would Eliot be in some random guy from the park's office for one-on-one counseling sessions? Did we miss a scene where Ray asked Eliot to be a therapy client right after asking him to do IT work for him?

Yeah it is. Breaking into some old ladies house with your three goons vs breaking into a professionally controlled and monitored space is much more plausible. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat his mom up or waited for her to leave the apartment or any of another dozen plausible scenarios that would make his abduction from home much more likely than his getting jumped in a mental institution. Neighbors aren't really quick to jump to people's rescue late at night in New York.

What we know for sure is that Elliot doesn't want to go back to his apartment, we don't know exactly why though. Until they show who it was that knocked on his door at the end of season 1 his choice of terminal could be for any number of reasons.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

steakmancer posted:

loving hope Tyrell isn't dead

Sure looks like he is. Only interaction hes had with any character was him talking on the phone with Elliot during a psychotic episode.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Lol where's tyrell? He dead.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't think I've seen much discussion on this but are we thinking Tyrell is actually dead or no? Mr. Robot claims to have killed him, but we didn't get any kind of flashback, just words. I'm not sure the point of Mr. Robot swerving Elliott on this, but without seeing a body I don't trust any TV show.

Tyrell is dead and is being shipped to white roses house to frame her for 5/9

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Man elliot must really gently caress like a mynx if he was able to turn Sisco out and get that police officer to give him the time of day.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Good foundation setting episode IMO. I wanted more, but the tension between Angela and her connections to the dark army vs. Darleen and her connections to whoever she called (FBI?) is going to make for an interesting dynamic. Since it looks like we will now see the moments that elliot loses I hope we get a better picture of what's going on soon.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Irving is lying to her to sell her

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

siggy2021 posted:

This. We've already seen several instances of Irving being incredibly manipulative and a great liar. I'm pretty certain we can't trust anything he says to the other characters.

I feel pretty sure that we're going to end up with a fairly mundane economic power play as opposed to any timetravel/alternative reality/ quantum accelerator poo poo. Irving doesn't strike me as someone that operates off any kind of sincere principals or beliefs, other than money spends.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Maybe all the parallel universe bizzaro stuff is just an affectation adopted by a scheming political force of nature to obscure their true purpose of simply taking over the world?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Shooting Blanks posted:

The show keeps coming back to this idea of "nobody has died/will die" like some sort of alternate reality. What do you want to bet that she'll be his reintroduction into the final season when they get to whatever conclusion Sam Esmail is aiming for?

I bet nothing because that's an idiotic premise which reduces the stakes of everyone's collective actions to 0.

I dunno why all of you want to buy in to clearly crazy Angela's delusions. Considering her connection to Price it seems plausible to me that Whiterose is simply having her drugged and abused to A)gently caress with price and B) maintain a well placed asset in E-corp.

That even Elliot was saying she sounds crazy should give you some indication of where the show is headed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Samizdata posted:

Well, that whole "interview" was nothing but a twisted psych profiling session, and if you think Whiterose doesn't do due diligence and had her previously profiled every way from Sunday, with the interview designed to lock down anything they had questions about, I think you would be sadly mistaken.

This seems like the most likely situation. Angela was already in an incredibly delicate situation, and had literally just put their entire plant operation at risk. Kidnapping her and loving with her head is a much quieter solution compared to putting two bullets in her, particularly given her connection to Elliot and his usefulness to the Dark Army

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, this show has never tried misdirection. Not even once.

Yeah the misdirection is predicated on Elliot lying to us, his imaginary friend, about aspects of his reality or disease. Why the gently caress do you think this show about hacking features some type of chinese witch? If Whiterose really has such amazing things in store at the end of her plan, why not simply bring elliot or Price into the fold by demonstrating it to them? Why the subterfuge? (Hint: It's because the show is loving with you)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Goofballs posted:

In a way I get that in one way but in another she pisses on the graves of people that got in the way. Like at some point I hope we get some insight into the psychology of whats going on there. It was fine n season 1 when she was just a nutty leader of chinese hackers. Its another thing when she's a heavyweight politico and involved in the fate of nations.

Consider who her audience is in those scenes and you get quite a bit of clarity. Outside of people she trusts, Whiterose presents herself as vulnerable but guarded. Someone whose tough exterior occasionally breaks to "reveal" some bit of information to her audience. In Price she behaves much in the same way as she does around her underlings. Completely ruthless and willing to do whatever is necessary to accomplish her as of yet unrevealed goals. Someone who is on the verge of cracking alternate universes or time travel probably wouldn't jeopardize those lofty ambitions by executing stage 2 unnecessarily

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Maybe "I hack... time" will be whiterose's catchphrase in season 4 when the series devolves into a live action rick & morty

It does seem much more likely to me that the show that is depicting the fallout from an anti-establishment hermit's wet dream would decide to swerve away from its commentary about society and economics in order to inject a hipper, BttF dynamic to the show. Maybe Whiterose and Elliot will form a time traveling duo who attempt to be the first trans WOC and neurodivergent hitsquad after they kill hitler.

that said, with the bombing it seems like the FBI are going to have to bring everyone in immediately for some type of 24-esque terror dragnet. Having 70+ buildings blow up in a single act of terrorism would almost certainly be a catalyst for ww3

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 18, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is there a reason why no one is talking about the fact that Darlene is Angela? That's what that scene with them at the end meant.

Am I the only one who got this? It's such a big deal for the show that I can't understand why everybody isn't talking about it if they got it.

Edit:

Their phones ring at the exact same time (because its the same phone). The glitching was not random or a lead in for the next scene. The glitching was established as a way to demonstrate when two personalities are fighting for control. That it was shown at that exact moment wasn't a mistake. She's an almost perfect parallel character to Elliot, and this complicates their relationship(s) in interesting ways.

Edit 2: vvvv When I'm right I will repost your post to make you feel bad. vvvv

It was an emergency alert on their phones because 71 sites around the country got bombed simultaneously

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Benson Cunningham posted:

They are dragging out the reveal. By the end of this season it will be made clear or I will be totally wrong. We will seeeeeee

Were Cisco and Angela's boyfriend the same person or was she just part of a stupid, useless, convoluted con to get access to the Allsafe network when she worked there all along?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Huge episode that fundamentally redrew the lines of conflict. Elliot is gonna meet Price books it and cook it

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zaphod42 posted:

Because its not absolute. A warden can't just kill an inmate and disappear the body. I guess they could kill him and blame it on somebody else, but that seems incredibly risky.

I mean... how did that work out for him?

In the end the Warden just kinda let Elliot contact the Feds, so I guess you could say he wanted to get caught from the very beginning but that just seems ultra contrived.

as opposed to someone who he would hire... whom killing would be much more difficult... and who could be a Fed.

You keep talking about contrived stuff but your analysis is poo poo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol maybe angela is just talking to her past self

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Lupus Rufus posted:

this show is sooooo loving good, i'm really glad there's no scifi supernatural bullshit going on. Just people being people in high stakes situations. Though this episode sure did jump around the timeline a lot. Darlene/Dom was pretty cool, but like... end of that was unfortunate. Dom might be catching wise to santiago.

I'm not really sure what Elliot was doing with his hacking at the end tho; how did he own the dark army?

They copied a file that was sent to one of their hackers to review as part of the fake stage 3 plan. Hidden in one of those files (presumably camouflaged somehow) was an exploit that gave elliott access to their network after it was executed.

It seems really basic and stupid for a hack that is gonna seemingly have such a major impact on the narrative but sometimes that's how that poo poo works I guess? I don't really know much about viruses

SpaceAceJase posted:

She was talking to the fish

No she was talking to her alternate Mrs.Robot persona Dom

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boris Galerkin posted:

He put some kind of backdoor inside that e coin pdf that the dark army guys opened on their computer. The backdoor gave Elliott access to their network.

You know how they say to not open random files you download? Yeah this is kind of why. Remember that in real life the weakest link is always people—-that’s why Elliot had Darlene drop off random infected USB sticks in season one. Also this is a thing that happens on real life.

You would think that the hacker who is analyzing files from another hacker's computer who they suspect is a bad faith actor would maybe do their analysis on an air gapped computer or something instead of attaching it to their entire network but I dunno this is just an international criminal cabal funded by the Chinese government that managed to blow up 71 buildings simultaneously within the united states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
s1>s3>s2 is the correct order

• Locked thread