Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of leaning toward the second as he is noticeably older than in the pictures, which would be an odd detail for a crazy person to come up with.

He only looked a lot younger in a few of the pictures where he's by himself. He looks about the same to me in the pictures with child Elliot. Down to the same glasses and jacket. I assumed the pictures were just his dad when he was younger.

I'm still going with Ghost Dad here. It just makes a lot more sense. The interactions with Darlene and Tyrell just don't quite add up if he's alive. All signs point to delusion imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

You all seem weirdly confident in the faked death idea. As far as I can tell, the only evidence for it is, "Christian Slater has slightly less grey hair in some of the pictures." Hell, there's grey hair in his beard in this picture right here:

Not to mention the same jacket and glasses. I guess he just didn't age at all in 15+ years and wears the same poo poo?
I mean, it's possible, I guess, but there's still a ton of evidence to support the idea that it's all in his head and no real reason to doubt it.

Take Tyrell's interaction with Mr. Robot earlier in the episode. They clearly know one another, but up to this point there's been no indication they should know each other. In fact, in an earlier episode the others in F Society were shocked when they heard Elliot knew him. I guess it's possible Mr. Robot had some secret side deal with him and revealed some other secret to him, but it makes a lot more sense if that was just Elliot and the secret is that Tyrell knows his motivation for pinning Colby was petty revenge. Also, when Tyrell talks about it with his wife later, he basically only mentions Elliot and again the revenge angle and makes no mention of Mr. Robot.

Then there's the fact that everyone gives Elliot 100% credit for everything and it being obvious to everyone White Rose would want to meet him specifically. Sure, Elliot came up with the plan, but if Elliot's dad is real, isn't he basically the leader who got everyone together? And no one mentions him ever or acknowledges any of that? Or of course the fact that whenever Elliot is around, no one ever interacts with Mr. Robot, but instead with Elliot. His own daughter just constantly ignores him?

Am I missing something here? Is there something beyond the grey hair bit people are relying on for the faked death theory? Because that seems really...weak.

Steve112sms fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Lumis posted:

Didn't Darlene interact with him directly with Elliot in the room while she was freaking out about the Dark Army pulling out of the plan?

I don't remember, but there was one scene where Darlene talked to Mr. Robot, but Elliot was angled literally right behind him. So she was also facing him. Was that the same scene?

Skex posted:

Who do you think provided fsociety with the IP address to put into the file?

As far as the rest I think he and Mr Robot happened to have mutual interests. Mr Robot wanted to hurt E-corp (for whatever reason) and Tyrell wanted to create a vacancy in the CTO position. So Tyrell provides the IP address and Fsociety creates a vacancy for him to fill. I suspect he was not aware of the larger plan (to wipe out all the data and destroy Ecorp) but who knows maybe he's playing his own Trojan horse game.

This show has certainly had it's share of "holy gently caress" moments.

They're hackers who can infiltrate the system and also dig up all kinds of information of people and also Elliot works for Allsafe, which protects Evilcorp and probably has access to that sort of information anyway. If they needed Tyrell for that, why was everyone surprised Elliot knew him a few episodes later? Why did Tyrell look at Elliot suspiciously back in the first episode when he handed over the file with Colby's IP in it? Why did Tyrell give that speech to Elliot about figuring out that he framed Colby? And why in that speech did he say he had no proof if he's the one that supposedly provided the IP in the first place? None of that really adds up.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Waynebo posted:

IT WAS THE lovely REVEAL ALL ALONG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nah, not really though. The wacky "faked death" theory people were floating here would have been the lovely reveal because it wouldn't have made sense or it would have required a lot of convoluted back explanation. This reveal wasn't even a twist, really. They made it fairly evident from the jump. With the exception of the Darlene being his sister twist, this show hasn't really been about twists. It's been more about the execution.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

LabyaMynora posted:

Elliot is Tyrell, but doesn't work for E-Corp. Tyrell is just Elliiot's imagination of what kind of person works at E-Corp - a murderous psychopath. All the Tyrell scenes without Elliot are just what Elliot imagines Tyrell's life is like and to give the Tyrell personality motivation.

Tyrell is real, you weirdos. You honestly think that Tyrell, his wife, his baby, his boss, the new CTO, the CTO's strangled wife, and the police investigating the murder are all in Elliot's head? And Elliot's boss who met Tyrell at his EvilCorp office is also in his head? And the rest of FSociety is in his head too? Because they all reacted to the news that Elliot knew Tyrell. So, in your mind almost every character in the show is in Elliot's head?

Mr. Robot being in Elliot's head was teased from the beginning of the show and all of those interactions happened, just with Elliot acting as Mr. Robot. Also, it served as character development, showing how damaged and delusional Elliot is, while also giving insight into his pain and guilt over his dad's death. In contrast, Tyrell being fake hasn't really been teased at all, would mean that a ton of time was spent on scenes that didn't happen at all, and wouldn't really add anything to character development. So, no.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

LabyaMynora posted:

Seriously, the way Tyrell just magically shows up as soon as Darlene goes to the pharmacist, followed by the way they talk to each other at the fun house, it doesn't make sense unless they're the same person. It's also the only way Mr. Robot and Tyrell meeting in the car outside makes sense.

I'm pretty sure Terry Colby never directly interacted with Tyrell. He was always just a part of the entourage. The new CTO is just part of Elliot's elaborate delusion, as is the strangled wife. Tyrell's Lady MacBeth wife and baby is just there to give the Tyrell personality motivation to go along with Elliot's hack with the intention of swooping in to save E Corp and regain his glory.

He doesn't magically show up. He specifically says he waited until Darlene left. Also, he knows where Elliot lives because his goons dropped him off in the limo. Their interactions make plenty of sense. This is the order of events:

Tyrell meets Elliot at work and is interested in him. Later, at the meeting involving the hack, he sees Elliot switch folders, which he finds suspicious and this folder leads to Colby's arrest. Based on this suspicion, he looks into Elliot and finds out about his dad and the EvilCorp connection and figures out that Elliot probably framed Colby. Later he runs into Elliot at Steel Mountain and tells him this, while also saying he has no proof, because he doesn't. He also doesn't care because it benefits him. Later, he has the conversation with Elliot's boss about the honeypot and realizes there's more going on. He looks up the servers and sees something in the code. I'm a little foggy on what exactly he saw, but he realized there was more to Elliot's plan than simple revenge. Based on this, he confronts Elliot in the car and as a last bit of desperation, threatens to reveal that Elliot framed Colby. Elliot, as Mr. Robot laughs him off and so Tyrell goes home to his wife properly freaked out. Then, after getting fired, he now doesn't care about EvilCorp and either wants revenge or thinks he can use this to his advantage. He then more or less threatens Elliot to get him to reveal the whole plan, because he only has a very limited idea of it. Elliot reveals the plan at the arcade. That's it.

And I didn't mean his boss Terry Colby. I meant the higher up boss who fires him.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Talorat posted:

My biggest fear for this episode (and now for the next season) was that they would puss out and have Tyrell show up and save the day with the encryption key and reset everything back to zero. I am starting to think though that they actually have no intention of doing something that lame and want to follow this chaos as far as it goes. I love it.

I actually wondered after the penultimate episode if BD Wong and the Dark Army would be the one to sell them out. He very conspicuously neglected to answer Elliot's question about why they were helping FSociey. Then that scene was replayed in the "previously on" segment. The ending tag just further points in this direction.

Also, Tyrell is real, you turds. This is some serious Shannon was stabbed poo poo going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

DopeGhoti posted:

Gonna go ahead and call myself out on this; the NAEA is what I said in the show (it's on the sign on the wall), but not in reality; the actual organization is the IAEA (the International Atomic Energy Agency). Whether this is just an in-universe difference or if Angela just walked into some kind of scam, I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure Agent DiPierro says Angela was at the NRC because the NAEA was dissolved and NRC took over. I didn't notice the sign. Maybe they just like having the old logo around for nostalgia?

Anyway I think the point of that scene was to make the audience uncertain as to whether Angela was just being paranoid or if E-Corp has a plant in the NRC and was going to take her out.

Also curious what the deal is with Wellick and his wife. I'm not sure I believe Mr. Robot that he's dead. I think he's still lying to Elliot about a lot. It didn't seem like he was stepping in because Elliot went silent this episode as he claimed. I think he was just thrown off because Elliot was able to actually see and hear him. I wonder if the show will transition to where Mr. Robot can take over sometimes, but can't keep secrets from Elliot anymore. The show's secrecy well is going to run dry eventually, right?

Steve112sms fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread