Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Man oh man, what an episode. I'm disappointed that we lost Trenton and Mobley though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I missed the name drop. When was this?

Santiago was telling Dom in the beginning that he had to brief comey who had to brief the president, if i remember.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Accretionist posted:

I assume the goal is a wealthy, globally-influential fiefdom. The Congo's rich in key resources.

For example, cobalt is essential for solar and electric vehicle batteries. The Congo contains half the world's cobalt and some of the world's best cobalt-containing* mines. To a certain extent, switching the world over to solar and electric will bottleneck on Congolese mining. And we will be switching over to solar and electric. If Dark Army can control even just Congolese cobalt, :10bux: hoo boy :10bux:. And China's getting the whole drat Congo!

*I say, "cobalt-containing," because, "cobalt mines," aren't really a thing. Cobalt is something pulled up alongside something else. Mainly, copper and nickel. So, we're mainly talking about copper and nickel mines with good (albeit trace) amounts of cobalt mixed in.

I really like the "Salted nuclear weapons" idea here as a reason why they care about the Congo. Given White Rose's penchant for overkill and utter disinterest in collateral damage, the fact that the bomb couldn't realistically be traced for someone, and the use of an Iranian flag as a disinformation seed in the garage, I can definitely see an "Iranian" dirty bomb being set off to sweep Trump into victory and cause the U.S. disintegrate itself to destroy Iran, all to WR's and China's personal benefit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming that Whiterose wants the Congo because the plant pollutes like crazy, seeing as it poisoned all those people in the 90s.

It's not like pollution stops this in the third world now anyway.

My guess is that it's so that WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China") but at the end of the day it's a show about hackerman and his hacker friends (including Angela, who went from "can't figure out how to type one command for the femtocell, this is really hard everyone :(", to extracting a HSM key under considerable pressure). There have been a couple of stupid incongruous things already, and at best we just don't have the information we need to make the connection. So, sit back and enjoy the show :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

T-man posted:

I mean, the HSB had extensive instructions she could read off of, unlike the FBI hack. I might not be a Super Hacker, but I can follow walkthroughs on how to update my motherboard's firmware without l33t skillz.

Looking forward to learn that WR wants to go to the Congo for the weather, and literally no other reason.

Yeah but she couldn't follow the extensive directions earlier, with handholding, which were "memorize and type exactly one thing". I'm secretly hoping that Angela has her own Mr. Robot but I guess we'll see.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Chadzok posted:

jesus christ thread, how can you be so bad at watching a simple show

It's not easy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

fuckpot posted:

Elliot is an android. Possibly from the future. My evidence is that he has a 'connection' with Tyrell (think Tyrell Corp) Wellick and that shot at the start of S03E01 which backs out of the high-tech place where White Rose is saying a bunch of mysterious and ominous things and ends up popping out of Elliot's eyes. If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Also the show is called Mr Robot.

So, the gooniest Terminator?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

T-man posted:

How is this a mixed feeling episode? The kid is totally another manifestation that'll crush Elliot when he realizes it was a way for him/Mr. Robot to avoid suicide. (The lesbian shoe scene + some of the self consciousness around gay manifesting in the lobby thanks to stereotype drug dealer.) He might've talked to Angela, but she's still seriously hosed up after doing something drat near unforgivable. And our once cleaned up hero has a big bag of morphine to get re addicted with. This is all just salt on the wound, made for worrying be Elliot going back to bad blackmail hacking habits.

ETA: STOP BEING OPTIMISTIC YOU FUCKS

He throws the morphine to Mobley's brother and tells him to use it to pay for the funeral, so he doesn't have it anyway anymore.

empty baggie posted:

yeah, I'm pretty sure he wasn't the same kid, but he looked a lot more like Rami than the original kid.

Child actors change from aging, it happens.

Benson Cunningham posted:

This show's music game is on fire 24/7.

It's so loving good.

Agreed, I liked that during the theater with young Elliot there were riffs of the first season musical theme.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GutBomb posted:

It's a loving tv show and it was a good, interesting episode. What a dumb thing to perseverate on.

Not empty quoting this.

Also, when Elliot goes to Washington Township in season 1 it's pretty clearly the LIRR not NJ Transit that they took, does this mean that teleportation is confirmed too?????

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gobbeldygook posted:

I also read it as him being smitten by Angela.

Same. The Lolita references make me think that he's had a history with her, and I'm betting it's revealed that he had something to do with Washington Township 20 years ago. The intro makes the point that he drug the IT officers out to meet with Allsafe, an otherwise unmemorable company that they wouldn't have looked twice at, I'm betting that he knew ahead of time that Angela worked there.

Boris Galerkin posted:

He put some kind of backdoor inside that e coin pdf that the dark army guys opened on their computer. The backdoor gave Elliott access to their network.

You know how they say to not open random files you download? Yeah this is kind of why. Remember that in real life the weakest link is always people—-that’s why Elliot had Darlene drop off random infected USB sticks in season one. Also this is a thing that happens on real life.

This made me really happy to see, the technical details are always on point with this show. He's basically finding a flaw in the PDF viewer (evince) that he expects the dark army to use, then crafts a malicious file to perform that exploit once they view it.

Lupus Rufus posted:

this show is sooooo loving good, i'm really glad there's no scifi supernatural bullshit going on. Just people being people in high stakes situations. Though this episode sure did jump around the timeline a lot. Darlene/Dom was pretty cool, but like... end of that was unfortunate. Dom might be catching wise to santiago.

I think she definitely is at this point. Santiago keeps finding ways to get in the way every time, she's clever enough to catch it. I just want to know if she attempted to bug him, because that would be fantastic.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 8, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Wikipedia entry is longer than some animes, which is either a good or a bad sign.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

VodeAndreas posted:

Doesn't mean anything for the show but I thought it was cute they had the voice actress for Sombra from Overwatch (hacker character) as the woman taking the test drive before Elliot showed up.

I didn't even realize that was her, that's really neat :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mameluke posted:

Apparently Christian Slater let slip in an interview that the show's going to start filming again in November 2018, which is dreadfully far off but makes some sense with regards to the leeway from USA that Sam's earned so far and the need to depict a semi-apocalyptic November/December in Manhattan.

Unless they've already filmed season 4 without telling anyone, this makes me very sad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

siggy2021 posted:

So all the time travel stuff was just Elliot reversing 5/9 and "going back in time." I love it.

Would you say that by reversing five nine he's bringing back the...

*shades lower*

Nine to Five?

:dukedog:

Laterite posted:

Better yet, don't. Literally, watch anything other than Birdman.

What was so wrong with Birdman?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

empty baggie posted:

That and the images they showed while the opening credits ran on the screen are what people are interpreting as a hadron collider. I thought it just looked like a nuclear power plant, myself.

What kind of nuclear plant has a bunch of toroids aligned in a row like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HorseRenoir posted:

I really like the theory that Whiterose is spending all this time and effort to build a quantum computer / super-science device that doesn't even work; it would feel like a fitting end to the show's story for even the world's ruling elites to be irrational and emotionally driven, impotently lashing out at systems too big for them to change.

This would be perfect

• Locked thread