Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That was a hell of a pretentious title card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Kegslayer posted:

The show is legitimately good (although not really your typical USA material). Haven't really seen much discussion of it here but does anyone else think they're telegraphing that F Society or at least Mr Robot not being real a bit too hard?

Just in the last episode we had

• Slater/Darlene again not interacting with any other human beings.
  • Elliot looking at the two paintings of the same farm.
  • Elliot being comfortable with Slater's touch but nobody else's
  • Elliot needing to get high before he can 'see' F Society again

The biggest thing is

• No one has yet to make eye contact with Slater besides Elliot

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

muscles like this? posted:

We saw Mr. Robot interact with those guys stalking Elliot in the first episode. Of course they could always have been fake too but that's getting kind of out there.

Pretty much everything can be explained away by an unreliable narrator.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
What a weird show.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mustache Ride posted:

I like it. Its weird, and I like it because of its weirdness.

I died laughing at the 404 House not Found shot. And then at the BroFish. That whole withdrawal scene was so loving weird. And hilarious.

Was bro fish Keith David?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Laserface posted:

My only real gripe was how they are trying to portray Elliott as a mentally ill guy with crippling depression due to loneliness who then immediately has sex with a hot girl who lives across the hall and its implied that its not the first time.

I suppose depression is one of those things that some people isolate well and keep from showing (I know I have in the past) but it doesnt really seem like his life is all that bad. well paying job in a field he is interested in, hot chicks all over him, hobby/interest to pursue.

Depression has nothing to do with reality.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Great episode. Darlene interacting with Mr. Robot certainly makes for interesting theories. Split person maybe, who know, who cares, as long as the ride is satisfying.

They literally showed the same thing happening in fight club so there is precdent.

Forked road shot was a little too on the nose but good episode overall.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Even if it does go off the rails... It sure is a pretty show.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Enthralling as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I wanted to brush Vera's teeth so bad.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know what it says about me when I was like don't leave her there throw her off the building!

Also still has the best title cards.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Gideon being white rose would be awesome.

Also Michael Shannon should be Elliot's dad.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Waynebo posted:

Or is it both??!?????

There really is a fair argument for both

He didnt really age though

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lumis posted:

Was it ever explained in depth exactly why Elliot was seeing a therapist in the first place?

Not in depth but I think I remember something about it being court ordered.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DaveKap posted:

Edit: I went back and checked. At no point is Sam Esmail one of the faces that Elliot sees in the mirror. Just FYI. He sees Tyrell, Darlene, Angela, Mr. Robot, fsociety mask, and himself. So unless it's Sam Esmail in the mask, nope.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cactus posted:

Holy poo poo! Reading the comments on the Sepinwall review (yeah, I hate myself what of it) and someone pointed out Darlene is Darla from Suburgatory! I never, ever would've noticed that without looking up what else she's been in, she's completely different.

The Sepinwall review had a nice tidbit of the Mad Men creator telling everyone about Mr Robot at some sort of gala.

And he's only seen the first 3 episodes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Waynebo posted:

Sam Esmail is like I DON'T GIVE A poo poo IF I RIPPED OFF FIGHT CLUB THIS IS BETTER

Oh man I laughed when that poo poo happened.

Good on him I Guess, lean into it. By him I mean the show runner.

What happened after the credits?

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 20, 2015

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Euthyphro posted:

Nothing happened as best as I could tell. They showed a preview for next week but it didn't have anything particularly notable. Did I miss something?

All the reviews said to stick around after the credits.

Strange.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CrushedWill posted:

Thanks for the information. I hope they stick with this show even if ratings wane in the future.

From interviews with Rami Malek (That grantland video podcast thing) sounds like the top brass is shopping the show around to other potential show runners and going like " this is what we want now".

Generally with that kind of backing plus the ratings we are seeing now it's probably going to let the whole story play out.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

BrianWilly posted:

Two real live people are dead and folks are whinging about a TV show being delayed? God.

I am in Canada, your poo poo gun culture ruins lives every day why does it have to affect MY tv habits!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hacking a datacenters climate control to melt tapes is plausible. The average temperature of a DC is between 50F and 82F, plastic tape begins to degrade at 90F. HOWEVER - it is very silly to think that their DC HVAC is connected in any way to the thermostat in a bathroom. I don't want to make too much of an effortpost on this, but Steel Mountain is modeled after real life data center company Iron Mountain.

From their write-up about their DC, their HVAC uses geothermic cooling:

From the slideshow here: http://apps.ironmountain.com/Slideshows/IMDC_Underground/index.html

All this being said, read about Stuxnet - a virus left on a USB drive meant to provide false negatives for the monitoring of nuclear power heat thus causing it to overheat (same concept as show).

They literally addressed the bathroom thermostat issue by saying something along the lines of "who has all their thermostats callback to the same server?"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Brock Samson posted:

Don't make me do a third rewatch. The Cure opening with Shayla just rips my heart in two every time :cry:

Honestly, probably the top two of my favourite cinematic moments, just so perfect... damnit!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The music is really awesome, even if it does sound that Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch should get royalties.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Mr Robot 3.0 - B.D. Wong appreciation society

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This show might go off the rails some times but every episode has a neat moment that I don't feel too bad with my time investment.

Cypress Hill was one of those.

Mostly its the title screens though. Dear god give that DP an Emmy already.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

precision posted:

Irving is Joey Bada$$

White Rose is Joey Bada$$

Triple Personality!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mameluke posted:

Basically every thing is going Whiterose's way right now and she's letting herself relax a bit.

Or she just pulls that trick for the Plebs.

Alex Jones stand in not withstanding.

Edit- Real reason is its a fun personality quirk to introduce the character but would be a loving nightmare to implement every time we see said character.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 28, 2017

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I noticed that too. How much more thick can they lay on "time travel" without time travel being a thing.

Edit: Elliot is Bill, Vera is Ted, Darlene and Angela are the princess babes and the key to fixing everything is now on Elliot's WorkSTATION!!!

Well this was the show that pulled their fight club reveal with a pixies cover.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

hope and vaseline posted:

I mean lets not forget that Dom is an inherently antisocial person with trust issues and Darlene was the first person in a while that she let her defenses down for, only to find out she'd been used and with her world now turned upside down. In a relatively small time frame.

Plus the main thesis of the show is "Broken people do lovely things"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Tyrell is the CTO of Ecorp now whose to say he doesnt do poo poo with the email.

All Elliot did was send the key....

• Locked thread