Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Has anyone else signed up for the contest on USA's Mr. Robot site? They're giving away $100,000. I put all my info in, and less than an hour later, Mr. Robot sent me :10bux: through Paypal. Definitely brightened my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Wait I'm suppose to put my paypal email address in this form? We should have a thread with codes in coupons....

Also, lol at them using paypal instead of bitcoins. My immersion.

It wasn't made clear how or what amount they were paying out. The email I used just happened to be my paypal email. I thought I was entering for a chance at $100,000, so I was pretty surprised when I got the $10 so quickly .

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, for a show to be this good, the marketing is about as terrible as it could be.

E: Look at the poo poo USA pulled at SXSW: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/18/8240633/sxsw-2015-mr-robot-review-christian-slater

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 21, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They're a bit off in pretending that suboxone is hard to get. It's readily available on the street around here.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Heffer posted:

They need to keep the pace with Elliott hacking someone in his own life to get justice. The monster of the week thing.

Eh, see this is the part that makes MR. Robot just like any other USA show. Like Burn Notice, there's always the villain of the week. It's ok as long as it doesn't turn the Mr. Robot storyline into a footnote at the end of every episode.

I'm just afraid it's gonna end up being repetitive like other USA shows that seemed to have promise at the beginning.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Well, Eliot did specifically call out Steve Jobs during the first episode so maybe Microsoft is using that for justification.

Probably not tho. It's just a tech company advertising during a show based on geeks. Makes sense really.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Watch Tyrell join F Society.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I'm sure it was planned, and I'm sure Tyrell's wife knew. The head of Evil Corp made it clear that the candidate's wife was important to the company and one of the reasons he was selected in the first place.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you remind me which episode this was mentioned?

I think it was episode 3, right before Mr Robot shoved Eliot off the boardwalk.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

QuantumNinja posted:

Also, this show seems to have no sustainable hope for a season two unless they do some really dumb bullshit.

Someone told me the show was planned as a movie originally. If that's true, then yeah, for sure.

I'm pretty sure it's already been picked up for season 2, and the writer claims to have 4 or 5 seasons already plotted out. It was originally planned as a movie, until the writer decided that it would work better as a TV show.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

Wait does Romero even exist? I thought the end of this episode where Elliot is going "it was always just me" meant the other people in fsociety were just head-accomplices.

I took that as Eliot not wanting to rat anyone out, or not really knowing who the other people were to begin with. Remember he and his sister weren't even supposed to exchange phone numbers for that very reason.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

Elliot is Tyrell, but doesn't work for E-Corp. Tyrell is just Elliiot's imagination of what kind of person works at E-Corp - a murderous psychopath. All the Tyrell scenes without Elliot are just what Elliot imagines Tyrell's life is like and to give the Tyrell personality motivation.

Wouldn't it be great if the next time Elliot bumps into Christian Slater, he's all like, "oh no, I'm hallucinating my dad again!" and Christian Slater is like, "duh, whut?" and he ends up to be a completely unrelated dude. Then Elliot goes home and looks in his photo album and it's all the same photos as before, but his dad is a totally different guy and not Christian Slater at all.

I had that same idea. Like later on in the series, another person shows up that ends up being a vision of his dad in his head, but because he's forgotten what he looks like, the audience is presented a completely different person to reflect what's in eliots head.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

hey guys I think Bill isn't real because Elliot talked to Bill.

Poor Bill :smith:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Stealthed Zombie posted:

10PM. The prevalence of "gently caress" in the script made me think at first this was optioned for like HBO or something but USA bought it, but that apparently isn't even close. I believe the idea is that USA, as a cable network, could get away with it but something to do with advertisers is keeping them away? I'm...not really sure.

Cable TV can air curse words without regulation, but usually advertisers will stay away if they do, so they don't do it often. This is why Comedy Central can air uncensored stuff at night, and why shows like Mr Robot can get away with the language it does (though apparently "gently caress" is still too strong for most sponsors). Advertisers are becoming more lenient as time goes on as long as the content is strong enough and they know the audience won't complain.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

In the Times Square scene, Eliot's mom appeared to be pregnant. I'm not sure if that means anything, but it was definitely apparent.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

He's also obviously upset in the after-credit scene, so he could have just been putting up a front while around his employees.

Edit: although not that upset, but definitely shaken up.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 4, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can totally understand, like, old people not knowing how to use computers and being unable to identify malware on the internet; but just inserting random discs or USB drives off the street seems so dumb that I can't believe people my age, even with the most basic of computer literacy, would actually do that.

It really boggles your mind that someone would find a USB stick on the ground and not try to use it for their own purpose? Most people would be like " hey, free thumb drive hell yeah!". That's the most plausible of any hack in this show.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CloFan posted:

I finally caught up on the thread, and can't believe no one has mentioned since the finale that in Elliot's withdrawal dream, Tyrell was holding a key. Encryption key? I'm hoping the series does t go that way, and I don't think it will. The repercussions of fsociey's actions have to be real and not undone by the key, but I think it will come into play in one way or another.

The little girl (which I'm assuming is Darlene) gives him the key. He also gives Angela the key. There are more interpretations other than just Tyrell holding the key.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It wasn't supposed to be a huge twist. Maybe the fact that mr robot was a projection of Elliot's dead father wasn't supposed to be known, but the show made it pretty obvious from at least the second episode that mr robot wasn't real. The show was originally written as a movie, with the first season being the first act, and the point of the first act was to introduce characters and to reveal the state of Elliot's mind. The real meat of the story hasn't even really started yet.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

but mr robot not being real wasn't the true plot twist...

E: As stated above and several other times in this thread, it wasn't supposed to be a surprise.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

And to make this point yet again, you have to keep in mind that the show was originally written as a movie, and has a set story and ending. This is just the first act. This was just the introduction of characters and the explanation of Elliot's mindset before the real story begins.

E: I'm sure the mr robot being his father thing was supposed to be a big twist, and was for most people I would think, and definitely Darlene was a shock, but Mr Robot not being real definitely wasn't hidden at all, at least not in any meaningful way.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 30, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Just got an email from mr. robot called "restart" opened it on my phone.

Kind of a dick move mr. Robot

Why? I haven't gone through all of it, but I didn't see anything particularly dick-ish.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Works fine on my iPhone 6S.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I guess Craig Robinson is gonna be in this season playing a guy named Ray.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Show is bullshit because Tyrell's wife's boy toy had an X1 box working smoothly and responsively.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I thought I recognized him, but just saw confirmation that Joey Bada$$ plays the part of Elliot's Seinfeld watching friend, Leon.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 15, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I didn't want the institution thing to be real, but going back and watching again, drat. I've got faith in the writer tho, so we'll see how it goes...

Grem posted:

My X1 works fine am I some uber hacker?

Yeah, they work, but besides the pretty interface, the system sucks overall. Fast forwarding or rewinding is glitchy, restarting the box takes ages, and overall X1 is slow and annoying, not to mention I've had to replace 3 boxes in 4 months because they all seem to go bad for no discernible reason. My old Comcast boxes were much more responsive and easier to use, even if the interface was ugly, and never once had to be replaced. One day I'll replace all of my boxes with Tivos and actually enjoy watching TV again.

E: or better yet, I'll just cut the cord, which I already would have done if not for the wife.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 15, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Djarum posted:

Or get a HD Homerun Prime and stop dealing with their boxes. Silicon Dust's new software is pretty nice or if you have a Windows 7 machine just use that and WMC.

I had heard about HD homerun but had forgotten the name so thanks for reminding me. I'm an Apple tech by trade so even though I have a windows computer, I avoid using it if I can. Honestly, I just hate Comcast but am stuck if I want decent internet speeds and though I've had my own modem for years, I have been looking into any option to not have to rent their garbage cable box hardware. X1 was supposed to be some tremendous improvement but ended up being a downgrade overall and Comcast has tried to charge me for switching out their broken boxes more than once.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

geeves posted:

Screenshots that hint at something with his therapist: http://imgur.com/a/ga7WR

furthering:

Agreed.

The outlets on the wall are in different places also.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

GutBomb posted:

iTunes works on Windows too. I don't know if mr robot is on there but it's sort of like steam for tv shows.

Yes, both seasons are on iTunes, and you can purchase a season pass for season 2 so the episodes will load onto your account as they air.

ITunes is pretty good about having pretty much everything you could think of up for sale or rent. Not everything, but pretty much everything current is available.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mameluke posted:

loving Tyrell showed up (his first time on-screen this year!)

Well, except for the very first scene of this season.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Artelier posted:

Just saw the latest episode. In the dinner party sequence, I found it odd that the Wellicks were a complete family. I remember he met Mrs. Wellick last season and she asked where her husband was, but did she ever clarify to him that she meant Tyrell? Or am I remembering wrong?

Great episode, as usual.

It seemed clear to me that Eliot figured out who she was early on in their conversation.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

WampaLord posted:

I've played chess way less than you and had plenty of stalemates, they're not nearly as rare as you're making them out to be.

Yeah, I remember back in grade school when my friends and I were just starting to learn the game, and we would stalemate all the time. Granted, we only really knew the very basics of the game and had little knowledge of any sort of strategy, but it seemed to happen quite frequently at the time.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I'm pretty sure she interacted with Mr. Robot sometime in the three days that Eliot doesn't remember. That's why she acted so strange when they had their conversation last season.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

Elliot = jErry
Darlene = ELAiNE
Angela = GEorge
Ray = kRAmer

I did it, I solved the show.

Mr Robot is Kramer and Ray is Newman.

E: or maybe it's the other way around.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ive been playing separate games on my phone and iPad, so it's been pretty cool to see what happens when you make different decisions.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

a trolley posted:

I think this might have been what you're missing: at a certain point if Lois stops texting you, there's an IT helpline for the company you can message that's an alternate pathway for info. It should be in your contacts list. I think you have to exhaust all possible methods at some points in the game before it will progress. It can be a bit obtuse. Of course, that might not be right and it really did soft-lock you out, I dunno. It's definitely a fun little game though.

It's a fun game, but it's too short. There are only 3 or 4 main puzzles that only show up when the game wants you to play them, so you can wait 2 days and then all of a sudden it hits you with a ton of poo poo. You can put it off and it doesn't seem to mess with the game play, but once you get to the point where you think the game is picking up speed, suddenly it's over. I've played through it a few times now, and while every time is a bit different, it always ends the same.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Idia posted:

She doesn't respond back but you should have gotten a tip from her. Check her messages again. Also ask Darlene for more info.
Answer below:
it's the hr phone number. Message them and say that you're her husband and you need access to your 401k. You should message Darlene for more info about Mrs.Berry's husband. He works as a real estate agent. You'll need to give HR that info and they give you the file.

You can also tell her you're with the finance department and say that they need her info because someone screwed up the database.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They released a patch to fix the game. Specifically the response errors that happen during the three main hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Interesting, that's not how I got her password. Sure, I contacted HR but I didn't go with 401k.

I also feel like an rear end in a top hat doing some of the things that I've done. ruined marriages, told a 12 year old about prostitution, etc.

at least you didn't threaten to kill his kids like I did (though it worked!)

• Locked thread