Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why do they shoot almost every scene in this show with the top of the character's heads at exactly 50% of the screen height

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

I hate to sound like a triggered snowflake, but I don't want to reminded of Donnie, but w/e.

You’re not thinking big picture. The tears of all the libertarians and t_d posters who watch the show for its anti-establishment leanings and get triggered by Esmail openly calling him a piece of poo poo are gonna be pretty sweet.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Man it's crazy that everyone from fsociety other than Elliot and Darlene is either dead or didn't actually exist. The first time I watched this show was on an airplane, and the first episode they had was the one where the gang hacks Steel Mountain. I remember thinking that the show reminded me of Veronica Mars. Whatever similarities I thought I saw, uh, sure didn't stick around.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
With the amount of self actualization that took place tonight I could almost see this being the last season. Character arcs are definitely nearing their end, but there’s kind of a lot of plot left for just two more episodes. On the other hand, it’s hard to see how they’d pull off a more satisfying climax than episodes 5-7, which resolved 2.5 years worth of plot tension.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I don’t really get what good undoing the hack does at this point, other than getting revenge on White Rose. All those people are still dead

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Darlene told Dom about her plan to retrieve the keyloggers in her apartment. Dom realized this was an opportunity to out her boss as a Dark Army plant. The interrogation was staged, they’re working together now, because during the sex they realized they weren’t just using each other, they were making love. :colbert:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The name of tonight’s episode is “shutdown -r” so I’m expecting at the very least an ambiguosly sci fi cliffhanger

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
That, along with the entire second half of the season, was definitely written to be a potential series finale.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Esmail is probably bringing Vera back to force Eliot to confront the fact that undoing 5/9 changes jack poo poo.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I saw someone mention something about Irving glitching too. But I didn't see any glitching this episode.

It would be hilarious if Esmail made two different edits of this episode.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Agreed. Plus this show has gone out of its way to be grounded in “reality” (as much as it can with an unreliable narrator), and a giant time travel/alternate reality/sci fi twist at the end would seriously undermine the narrative they’ve painstakingly constructed. Revisiting/fixing the past is a huge theme, one we see play out in various ways, but not literally.

The show is already science fiction, it's not grounded in reality at all. It's just made with a high degree of verisimilitude. Literal time travel/quantum leaping would fit right in with everything else that goes on in the show, thematically.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

And like someone above said: this show is already sci-fi, its always been. We dont live in a world where a single corporation owns everything and there's a hacker mafia controlling China from behind the curtains.

Yep, ECorp is straight out of the OmniCorp/Cyberdyne/Weyland-Yutani mold. Seeing their board meetings makes it feel more lifelike. But it's still dystopian sci-fi.

Elliot's illness and hacking abilities are also more like superpowers than anything that exists in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The entire series is great and the season 1 purists are weirdos who are probably just overly affectionate for the central mystery the show had going for it at the beginning.

(Saying as someone who didn’t watch S1 live.)

• Locked thread