Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Last 2 episodes have sealed this as my favourite show of the year. Rami Malek is a phenomenal actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahh beaten.

JMod posted:

I'm not as l33t as I used to be, but how does he bruteforce everyone's gmail and facebook passwords? Don't you need a local password file to do that, otherwise he'd get locked out after a few tries? It's fine if its just "he just can okay" but I'm just curious if I'm missing something

Either a keylogger, data-breach thats been leaked on the web or brute forcing something else that doesn't lock you out. Most people don't use complicated passwords and often have no more than 3 that they use for everything.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I honestly expected Tyrell to throw her off the roof when he invited her up there and mentioned the cameras being out. Strangulation is really messy and personal and seems like a good way to get caught. And off the roof at least leaves the possibility of suicide.

Strangulation is often a crime of passion which is what this was. He didn't plan on killing her when he invited her up, her comments made him snap.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

One of the pieces of evidence was a picture Elliot had taken with his phone of veras gun on the table in Shaylas place. Elliot special meds were in the shot.

Basically Elliot hosed up.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 7, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

cenotaph posted:

I thought it was kind of cheap that the flashback showed that Elliot was responsible for Shayla going to Vera in the first place. Changing the relationship from him getting her killed by trying to help her to basically being completely responsible for her death felt a little too...cute? I'm not really sure.

But we knew this already so how did it change the relationship? It was stated early, on that she was only doing business with Vera because he was the only one who could get what Elliot needed and now she was stuck doing business with him, Vera thanks Elliot for bringing them together.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 7, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

nickmeister posted:

Was it ever explained what American Psycho was doing with the front desk guy's smartphone while he was in the shower?

Monitoring software that allows you to watch what someone sends and recieves on their phone, calls messages, emails, calender events. Stuff like that. It's so he can see who is the contender for CFO. As Knowles says, only 4 people should know he was up the front runner.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Trabant posted:

I feel this is slightly more likely than Elliot's unreliable brain/narration subbing Dead Mom for Dead Dad.

I mean -- surely Angela, The Best Friend From Childhood Who's Also Friends With Darlene, would have been around to pick up that it wasn't Elliot's mom that died? Maybe gone to the funeral herself? I don't see how she could believe the story that it was his dad who got cancer and retell it to others.

Unless, of course, they all know Elliot's a high-functioning schizophrenic and everyone just plays along because it's easier that way. Which is completely plausible, to be honest. At this point I genuinely don't know where they're going. It's wonderful!

Is that scene at the dinner party the only time she mentions Elliots Dad? I ask because if you watch it again she ends mid sentence, she could have easily gone on to say '...and Elliots Dad had a breakdown after his mum died" or something to that effect. Or it could just be as people have said, they met later and she really doesn't know.

Grem posted:

I'm sorry but I don't see how his dad is alive. Especially after he showed up at his door right after the reveal. His timing is too spot on in a lot of his appearances.

It's not really right after though, Elliot has time to go home and research himself, likely taking a few hours to do so. It would be easy for Darlene to phone him and tell him to check on Elliot.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone catch the opera Wellick was listening to in his office while he was hacking?

It's Mozarts magic flute

https://play.spotify.com/track/0ZAyQDwokbChHvAdYkb5h7

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Waynebo posted:

I'm assuming Evil Corp is then liable and has to payout against the victims, but ultimately I think Angela is just doing it for closure. This sort of brings about a parallel between what Angela is doing now i.e., lying and destroying AllSafe for her selfish reasons with what Colby/Evil Corp did (lying and destroying lives for selfish reasons). OK, maybe that's a stretch.

This being proved could kill a company, even one as big as E-corp. Payouts, fines and the knockon effect to the companies image would bring it to its knees. Its pretty intentional that Elliot and Angela are trying to destroy the same company but in their own ways, one through the law one, outside it. And while she doesn't know it, Allsafe is done already regardless of what Angela does.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 14, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Stop talking about US gun crime you goons.

At this point it's pretty clear the show isn't gonna tie everything up so I'm hoping it gets cleared for a second series although personally I'm not a fan of it going for 5 seasons or whatever the creator said he had material for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

qbert posted:

Did anyone else notice that during Christian Slater's big monologue in Times Square, they bleeped out "Big Mac"?

I love that a show so critical of giant corporations still has to worry about offending a giant corporation.

I think it's funnier that a guy blowing his brains out is fine but the f-bomb? Censor it! What time does the show air in America?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

seaborgium posted:

He burned the parts on his computer, but he still has a folder full of data CD's hidden cleverly under his dresser. I'm betting a case could be made fairly well once someone dug through those.

As mentioned they are quite smartly hidden, and even if they weren't modern encryption means unless Elliot gave them the key they would be useless to any investigation.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm an academic librarian, and students constantly forget their USB drives in our shared library computers. I'll always pop them into mine to identify the owner and send them an e-mail, but now I'm having second thoughts.

If your computers run Windows, yeah maybe don't do that. Not just for the reasons you see in Mr Robot but also that many viruses auto copy to usbs plugged into the infected computer, so the owner may not even be aware they are spreading something malicious.

BrianWilly posted:

I think that Rule of TV demands that someone will probably find out about Elliot being the hacker and it will probably end up being Krista's douchey ex, just because it will cause the most tension and conflict and Rule of TV demands that whatever will cause the most tension and conflict will probably happen. And there's, well, no story if they just get away with everything.

I hope it happens in some way that makes sense though. I love this show, but a lot has already happened on it that strains the limits of chance and credulity. I'm not talking about tech stuff or even necessarily characterization, I'm talking about stuff like "Wow, how very convenient that the exact specific event that would cause the biggest problems for everyone just so happened to fall into place right now by some sort of immoderate coincidence!"

If I was writing the show I'd go for something like dog man hiring another hacker to hack Elliot. There's very few plausible ways he can catch Elliot within the law.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 7, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ymgve posted:

My theory is that the gun in the popcorn machine went off because of the heat and shot Tyrell. (Though I don't know enough about guns to judge if this is even possible)

No sorry, while a funny idea a popcorn machine doesn't even come close to the temperature it takes to cause a bullet to go off.

https://youtu.be/E-71Euv1UL4?t=13s

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Samizdata posted:

Or, you know, just disable Autorun?

That will improve security sure. But it doesn't completely protect you. There have been viruses that infect your computer when an anti-virus scanned it once being plugged in. USB sticks that are actually seen as keyboard or mouse and run macros infecting the PC when plug and play kicks in. There was one a couple of years ago that exploited a vulnerability in explorer and when it scanned the contents to provide an icon it would infect through that. And the most common problem, people clicking on the things they find on the USBs, as we had in Mr Robot and with the example Big Bad Voodoo Lou gave you would need to double click a few files to find out the USBs owner.

If disabling autorun was all you needed to do then the US military would have just done that instead of banning all usb sticks and other removable media from Government computers.

• Locked thread