Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, Elliot being Tyrell would be really quite dumb. I'm totally open to there being unreliable narrator shenanigans about Tyrell's identity but if he ALSO the same person I think it's just kinda stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9g2vR32Vg

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

One thing that did annoy me about this episode was the corporate exec lady not realizing she's been hacked and blaming it on a malfunction with the smart home manufacturer. If it was just the alarm going off, that's one thing. All the poo poo together and the constantly-playing hacker news on the big screen? Uh.

I was actually expecting the smart home people to have gone out of business like they show with her fitbit thing.

E: Just rewatched and I guess she's not explicitly talking to the manufacturer on the phone, dunno why I assumed that. I'm mostly irked just that she acts so befuddled for so long as crap goes haywire.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 12, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I thought there was a little too much in the way of random people speechifying about their perspective on money or the way the world works, but it wasn't that bad. I figured some amount of it is to re-introduce characters and motivations and such. I have a slightly skewed perspective in that I watched the first season maybe 2 weeks ago so everything is still fresh but it makes sense to have reminders for people that watched it a year ago or new viewers.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I think everything Elliot's doing is 100% as shown and all the things like trays and background sounds are red herrings. I hope they specifically do not provide an answer as a big reveal about where he's been. He'll just move out at some point and continue life as normal, leaving viewers to speculate for eternity with no actual answer.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

he was still using an older version and ignored updates for a long time

3.2.2 is the version where they added ads, so that's 100% possible:
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/09/utorrent-3-2-2-update-brings-in-content-ads/

But he actually should have been using 2.2.1 I think? That's the one people refused to upgrade from IIRC.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 29, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

At this point I'm actually going to be disappointed if he's anywhere besides his mom's house. I firmly believe they said 'people are going to expect another twist, let's throw them some garbage to speculate about and the twist will be that there isn't one.'

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 6, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Grem posted:

I'd like to hear a doubter of the institution theory explain the door slam before Ellitot meeting Gideon at "home" and the basketball hitting an invisible chain link fence, both from the first episode of this season.

I think it's perfectly plausible that all the little hints we've gotten are edits by Eliot himself, deliberately to gently caress with us the audience. Everything we see is filtered through Elliot. This turns quickly into a wine in front of me sort of problem with reverse-triple-blinds but at the end of the day that's the thing about unreliable narrators -- you can't even expect them to lie reliably.

I think the institution theory is more plausible, but it's also not what I hope is happening when all is said and done.

Basically:

precision posted:

The show is good enough without doing it. Having him be in a literal institution, I think, doesn't really add much to the actual story of this season. It would be just a twist for the sake of post-LOST twists.
I have faith in the showrunner and writers, though.

If there does turn out to be an institutional twist, that means next season (if there is one) everyone will go in assuming that there will be some sort of shenanigans because that's what this show does. Predictable unpredictability. If he's in a halfway house / institution / whatever it feels like obfuscation for no reason. I suppose that applies to the above theory as well but we're back to wine in front of me and I think playing it straight would be the better 'twist.' :shrug:

E: This is also through the lens of a internet person reading boards where people dissect shows all day. Joe viewer probably isn't even aware of the institution theory. But then again the show is self-aware enough to know that people like us exist so maybe they poisoned the wine in front of us instead, hm.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 8, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

precision posted:

I can totally see Elliot saying "What, did you think I was in a mental hospital? I can see you, posting your little theories online."

Kinda but I don't know the 'us' in-universe is necessarily us-the-TV-viewers. If he mentions things like us posting online specifically, it breaks the fourth wall in a different way than just addressing us directly -- as of now I think 'us' is just defined as a third, passive personality or some part of his subconscious alongside Mr. Robot's active one.

In principle though yeah I want this to be what we get.

E: typo

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 8, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

He seems more like a real gangster that decided to try an e-commerce. He is not a tech guy himself, he hires nerds to run the thing for him

'Hires' might not exactly be the right term for how he gets tech guys.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

Can somebody please explain the cantennae to me?

sure

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Ahahaha the music in the bit where they talk about going to lunch was from Repo Man, amazing.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I think it was busy work for Angela / Elliot so they'd think they had something important to do. It's unclear how the other buildings god blown up -- if they used other methods (like regular ol' bombs) then everything was basically a red herring because they were supposed to believe all the records were in one place. If A+E weren't occupied by SOMEthing they might have had time to figure out the actual plan was elsewhere.

n.. posted:

Also now I'm remembering back to the conversation between Whiterose and the conspiracy theorist TV guy about how Tyrell was about to be blamed for five/nine and "no matter how bad it gets, it's important that he's seen in a positive light" or something to that effect. I wonder why that's important?

We don't know yet, but also remember the handcuff he left -- they were setting it up to look like he was imprisoned and wanted to warn about the attack but just didn't escape in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm a little mad at Dom for how she ended things with Darlene. :smith:

I mean yeah she just went through some real poo poo but uh blame the dark army, not the lady who told you the FBI was hosed and you didn't believe.

Hopefully it was just an emotional moment and she comes around.

• Locked thread