Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Sitcom episode was one of the best things I've ever seen in a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

There's no Tyrrell = elliot reveal. If anything the reveal would be that Tyrrell is dead and elliot is just seeing him now. For Tyrrell to have always been elliot makes no sense.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Well that was a good episode but it almost feels like there should be 1 more episode... God damnit.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

You know, people may think it's guaranteed that Tyrell is alive and really shot Elliot "for real this time!" but earlier in the season they proved that Elliot can have incredibly vivid hallucinations where Mr. Robot shoots him in the head over and over and he imagines his whole environment as something else.

It's still possible to be yet another (tired) trick on the audience.

Except Tyrrell shot him in the gut, which gives us plenty of room to believe he survived the shot without any audience trickery.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Wasn't that the LHC that they were showing at the beginning? Portals to alternate dimension/realities incoming. Or everything is just a simulation.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

also lol when they cut to the bus and the daft punk song was coming out of that guys boombox. Most unrealistic part of the episode.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

There was some really lame stuff in this premiere. That narrated walk along the sidewalk felt just so clumsy, it definitely feels like the writing is going downhill.

How was it clumsy? What was bad about the writing?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have complete faith that no matter what happens, esmail will make it good.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Decided to start re-watching the show because it's dense as gently caress. I'll post anything I find interesting on re-watch as it pertains to the current s3 plot.

So far S1E1 had:

Mr Robot: "Money hasn't been real since we got off the gold standard. It's become virtual; the operating system of our world. We are on the verge of taking down this virtual reality."

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Dave can you try a little harder to keep your promise please?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

WHOA

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ungh I just want more whiterose and price scenes

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Your life is not a TV show

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

From one of the reddits:

"Our entire perception of reality is all but a simulation. Everything we see and know and touch and feel is an illusion. All facets of your life is nothing more than a digital construct in some future civilization’s computer simulation. You are basically a more boring (albeit high-res) version of The Sims. Or, if you want to get real trippy about it... As our future in this simulation continues along, we will have developed the computing power to run our own simulations, thus creating a simulation in a simulation. And maybe that’s what we are in all along anyway -- a simulation of someone who has no idea that they themselves are in a simulation. And your “mystery spots” can be explained away by a lack of processing power in the computer that is running our simulation -- either in the top level sim or the sim within the sim -- or perhaps even corrupt bits of code."

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

In season 1 during the scene where Joanna has her baby, she says "He reminds me of her". And then goes on to talk about how she had a baby girl when she was 15 and gave it up for adoption, talking about the process and the adoptive parents. Maybe I'm reading too far into it, but it seemed too specific to just be there for character development. Could the girl be a character on the show? She'd be about 18-20 now I think.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

what if flipper is ollie?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Season 2 Episode 5 - when Dom is speaking with whiterose/zhang in his bedroom

"Have you ever wondered what the world would look like if the 5/9 hack never happened? How the world would look right now? In fact, some believe there are alternate realities playing out that very scenario. With other lives that we're leading. Other people that we've become. The contemplation moves me very deeply."

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

theperminator posted:

Didn’t the FBI find a bullet in the wall? How can that be if the gun didn’t go off?

FBI only found the casing, not the bullet

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So did this episode confirm that Eliot is the father of Joanna’s baby? I didn’t see that one coming.

Uhh did I miss something?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Sam Esmail can take as long as he wants setting the stage and tone. I'll watch every minute of it.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

It was may through july

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Alternate dimension confirmed.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Just got an email for a link to https://www.whoismrrobot.com/

Seems like a lot to sift through.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

"Hey Dom good job you've been promoted to another case!"

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

The red wheelbarrow commercial was pretty great also

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Nice twist Sam.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm thinking that this goes beyond vitriol towards price and white rose is making moves to turn China into the one supreme world power.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

cochise posted:

It's like late September 2015.

I still think Whiterose is planning something bigger than just geopolitical realignment.

He totally is, but I think he's setting up china to rise above the US as part of his overall plan. He's tanking the whole US economy while having china be the only country independent of E-coin.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

cochise posted:

Wait... was young Angela the same girl that asked current Angela those questions in that room?

nope

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

Totally forgot about the particle collider at the beginning of the season, didn't register it. Right before the start of the dialogue with Whiterose, there's a random scientist guiding some other folks around and he says the following:

Feels too elaborate to be just some throwaway thing. I hadn't even thought about it until reading this thread, but it feels quite possible that there might be some sort of sci-fi time-traveling/parallel-universe-hopping aspect that is getting ready to unfold. Maybe that's why Angela doesn't think anyone is going to die, because of some sort of understanding of infinite parallel universes? Not sure how this ties into China or Whiterose's overarching ambitions, but it doesn't feel totally out of the realm of possibility. :tinfoil:

Yes this has been telegraphed since early-mid season 2

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Laterite posted:

My problem with these theories is why the show would introduce time travel/alternate dimensions 4 years into its run? My assumption all along has been that Esmail is playing the audience with these ideas as he has with many other tropes throughout the series. The show's POV so far has been to depict Elliot as a mentally ill unreliable narrator, with all "real life" consequences stemming from that fact. Tyrell and Angela are now shown to be highly unstable as well. I'm on the fence on whether Whiterose is just as delusional wrt time travel or if it's just another page in her playbook to sow influence and control. I lean to the former, and that her quest will result in a bad accident with the accelerator that fucks up the world even more, but WILL NOT actually involve alternate realities or time travel or anything.

In short, if Mr. Robot becomes just another time fuckery show, I will be severely disappointed.

its not introducing it 4 years in, it started foreshadowing this stuff pretty heavily in season 2

To quote a post I made like a month ago:

d0grent posted:

Season 2 Episode 5 - when Dom is speaking with whiterose/zhang in his bedroom

"Have you ever wondered what the world would look like if the 5/9 hack never happened? How the world would look right now? In fact, some believe there are alternate realities playing out that very scenario. With other lives that we're leading. Other people that we've become. The contemplation moves me very deeply."

Besides, the idea that reality is a computer simulation wouldn't feel out of place in a show about computer hacking, even if it is an ambitious route to take with the plot.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Fans reading into innocuous dialogue isn't really foreshadowing though. Also, it would feel extremely out of place in a show about hacking that is actual.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding about how accurate the hacking is in this show. That is to say, very. Blowing up ups's is a little extreme, but everything else has been very legit.

This would be like watching Mindhunter, and one of the characters suddenly becoming psychic like Professor Xavier.

Re-watch the scene. It was not innocuous dialogue. The whole scene was basically a big neon sign saying "Hey, here are White Rose's motivations!" This was the same scene where we saw hundreds of clocks filling a giant room all perfectly in sync in the upstairs of her house. Whether or not she's playing the emotions of her underlings by misleading them, she is still obsessed with time. That's been a thing since season 1 even, so these ideas are not coming out of nowhere. Who knows where the actual plot will lead, but to say there is no precedent to any of these projections is silly.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 18, 2017

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I mean come on guys, they set up entire subreddits around alternate reality type discussions. That's a pretty far way to go for a red herring.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

what the gently caress happened with this season?

super hacker is schizophrenic like no schizo ever acts.

stupid blonde acts stupid in every stupid way possible. revenge motives aside, it's stupid beyond belief.

chinese "she"-chinese was acting ridiculously.

2015 was apparently the worst timeline, where obama and fbi director gently caress-me-in-the-rear end comey or comedy or whatever position that dude held were motivated by... something?

it's the poo poo that gets me the worst. there's no real motive for any character acting the way they do for any action they perform. it just sort of... happens and you have to use your imagination.

i want every protagonist and antagonist to die because they're all the most idiotic things imaginable. i was actually hoping for angela and redhead_fbi_01 to die in a building explosion. and angela is my mom's first name.

**triggered as fck yo**

jesus christ

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

MD2020 posted:

JDate is going to have some explaining to do when it comes out that Iranian terrorists got through its screening process.

Good catch. I bet Dom figures this out somehow.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

entire episode was actually a morphine fueled fever dream

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought that guy was another inmate, huh.

I mean if he wasn't then how did Elliot see him? Bringing in the pro-hacker guy to the prison seems like a dumb move if he's not a prisoner.

You know, when your comprehension of the plot is utter dogshit, you don't really get to complain about the show not making sense or being contrived.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Apparently Christian Slater let slip in an interview that the show's going to start filming again in November 2018, which is dreadfully far off but makes some sense with regards to the leeway from USA that Sam's earned so far and the need to depict a semi-apocalyptic November/December in Manhattan.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. But why wait so long to *start* filming? Is the cast doing something for the next 11 months?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Here's my dumb theory for how this all shakes out. White Rose is actually Mr Robot's version of Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin. In the real world, no one actually knows who Satoshi Nakamoto actually is, and the creator of Bitcoin is a mystery. Whoever this person is owns 5% of all bitcoins, which in today's current value is somewhere around 21 billion dollars. If this is White Rose, it explains her motivation to destabilize the global economy - so that people will switch to using cryptocurrencies. It also explains that while the rest of the world is adopting E-Coin, China refuses to and is still using only Bitcoin. The giant "particle accelerator" that White Rose owns is actually a bitcoin mining facility. This way, he is able to mine them faster than anyone else and once crypto replaces fiat currency, he will be the wealthiest and most powerful man in the world. It would also make sense that she wants to move this facility off of US soil now that crypto is on the rise, since the U.S. government would likely put an end to her operation if they ever found out what it was really being used for. The time travel/alternate reality is a ruse in order to get people to devote themselves so intensely to her cause, to the point that they will kill themselves or blow up 71 buildings because hey in the end we just hit the reset button right? White Rose is just telling people whatever they need to hear to join her army until she's so incredibly wealthy she no longer needs to perpetrate this myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Why would you spend tons of money on a giant not-particle-accelerator mining machine when you could just give yourself tons of coins to begin with? If you created the algorithm and set it all up and stuff you could just give yourself a poo poo ton of them before anybody else even had a chance to create miners.

I do agree though, any kind of actual virtual reality or time travel would be too bonkers. Its just gonna be a cult that whiterose uses to control people. (Still not crazy about how fast Angela fell for it) people are dumb and whiterose just wants money and power.

Also if whiterose created bitcoin and owns a ton of them why allow e-coin to be a thing? Wouldn't she move to shut that down to keep bitcoin going if so invested in bitcoin?

She did give herself a poo poo ton, 21 billion worth. Having the biggest miner would mean you get the most money from people using your currency as every transaction has a fee associated with it. The initial 5% is instant money, while the miner is guaranteed longevity on your wealth. Investing that much machinery into your own currency system also ensures that it's usable as an actual currency, helping transactions to clear quickly, unlike bitcoin in our own reality where transactions take hours or even days to confirm.

I told you it was a dumb theory in the preface though. I just found it interesting that one of the plot points was that China is the only country to refuse E-Coin and stick with Bitcoin.

• Locked thread