Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

apatheticman posted:

That was a hell of a pretentious title card.

I know and I loved the poo poo out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

empty baggie posted:

They're a bit off in pretending that suboxone is hard to get. It's readily available on the street around here.

I don't think it's an availability issue with Elliott, just a matter of finding a person he trusts getting the drugs for him.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Wellick's been my favorite television show antagonist this year. I would say his character is far-fetched but my brother worked for a hedge fund and his superiors were straight up lizard people in the same vein.

Interesting aside (for me, at least): E(vil)-Corp's billing department is in the same area I grew up in and County Line Rd. is actually far out in the boonies. The zip code puts it right in the middle of Topeka instead. There's no Stoneycroft but it's weird seeing something semi-familiar in a show when you're from a smallish city.

wukkar posted:

Legit felt sad for Bill :(.

I know. :( That poor dude seemed so unsure and frightened by Elliot.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

steakmancer posted:

I'm 100% sure this was part of Wellick's keikaku actually, a true politico at work

* Translator's note: keikaku means plan.

But seriously, this entire season thus far has been amazing. I hope it can keep this momentum up because it might just be the best show of 2015.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This show is so good and I hope it can continue being this good in the next season.

I also can't believe I didn't recognize B.D. Wong until the conversation was almost over.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jose posted:

Tyrell is an alien looking fucker

So Swedish then?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This show's excellent and since the Darlene reveal, I can't help but kick myself at not noticing how her actress has features similar to Rami Malek beforehand.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

EL BROMANCE posted:

I liked the whole 'Fiona is in the IRA' aspect of Burn Notice. It's like having a show in 2030 where the female lead is an active member of ISIS and it's no big deal.

I randomly watched an episode of Burn Notice with my mom (she was a big fan) and it was the one where Michael convinced some gang members that he was the devil. That was enough to sell me then and there.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

xcore posted:

Weren't corporations always 'the man'?

Yeah, corporations have always been part of the holy trinity of The Establishment, the other two being the government and organized religion.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

It's still bonkers to me that a show with under-the-clothes masturbation and a few fucks per episode is being shown on the network that gave us Royal Pains. I hope this proves to other cable networks that you can do stuff like this without succumbing to the fear of kernel moral panic.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Tenzarin posted:

Suits the show that's on before MR Robot that I completely ignore.

The only reason to watch Suits is to look at the extremely pretty actors.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

BrianWilly posted:

I seem to recall him speaking Cantonese on SVU, but I myself don't know if he did that very well or not (I only speak Mandarin).

I get that the point of the scene was for him to come across as the shadowy inscrutable conspirator to the American audience and speaking in a foreign language is a good shorthand for that, but I wish they had just had him speak English instead. It completely breaks my immersion when they have characters speaking things they clearly don't know how to speak in these "gritty," "grounded" shows.

It wasn't him actually speaking Cantonese in SVU, just someone ADR'd in. I think he's not a speaker of either dialect as evident by how halted and stilted his dialogue was.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Snak posted:

Hahahaha Darlene is Elliot's sister. That's amazing.

Edit: but also, I fuckin called it on Slater's character.

Or not. This show is amazing.

Edit2: okay I was right about who he is, but wrong about him being "real".

The best part about the Darlene reveal is that (spoilers for S1, I guess)afterwards, I couldn't help but notice that Chaikin and Malek have similar facial features, which is some good casting on top of the acting ability.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rocksicles posted:

After a hard day writing about dudes with total head fiction. Crushing his TV show in general, he gets to go home to this fine lady.

I hope this means Emmy Rossum will be in an episode if her schedule with Shameless doesn't conflict. She's a loving great actor.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of the tape.

Why the tape if they're going to upload it anyway? Is that how anonymous videos work? Use analog first, then convert for reasons? I assume it has to do with meta data?

Man computers sure are magicl super science tech.

Metadata is what I was thinking, too.

Also goddamn, Darlene. You went from 0 - 100 in no loving time flat.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

CeeJee posted:

"You aged very well" is quite appropriate for Sandrine Holt who does not look that older since making Rapa Nui when Carly Chaikin was 4 years old.

Criminy, I had no idea her actress is in her 40s. I kinda balked at the idea of her being a lawyer when Darlene was just 4 years old, too. That's some graceful-as-gently caress aging because I thought she was around my age (early 30s) at best.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. My Mandarin is pretty crap, but my wife's from Beijing so I have good handle on what it should sound like and... that's not it. I really like the actor otherwise.

I think B.D. Wong doesn't speak Mandarin because the couple of times they had his character speak it in Law and Order SVU, it was another actor ADR'd in. My friend said it sounds like he learned it phonetically.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Bullfrog posted:

The sound and visuals of this show give me flashbacks to Deus Ex. And to panic attacks. But mostly to Deus Ex.

I've been trying to pitch this show to one of my best friends as "Deus Ex-like cyberpunk and conspiracy fiction." She won't budge. :smith:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Well, my DVR hosed off and missed the final 5 minutes of the show. Is Tyrell real or not?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

...I feel like the last few minutes I missed must've been crazy if loving time travel is being talked about. :psyduck:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

SmokaDustbowl posted:

man that was a really great season. how long do I have to wait until the next one?

if you have netflix and it's still up everyone should watch terror in resonance now

Man, I'm not gonna watch some nerd rear end anime-

*quietly boots up Netflix*

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Snak posted:

Instead of watching anime, everyone should read Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

I've read all of Gibson's novels. Now only anime can fill the void.

buckets of buckets posted:

How the h*ck do you even direct an anime? 'hey big tits 12 year old, I want u to put more feeling into it when you say nekoooo. Really elongate those vowels''''

Realtalk: Directors of animated programs have to work with the writers and storyboarders fairly closely on top of working with the animation director and sound producers. It's a bonkers amount of work to produce a live action thing but animation is even crazier.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

buckets of buckets posted:

yeah maybe but I think its mainly what I said

Fair dinkum, as the antipodals say

Pattern Recognition is my favorite Gibson novel then Neuromancer. I still want a miniseries based on the Sprawl Trilogy on HBO or one of the streaming services.

e: Huh. Apparently I haven't read All Tomorrow's Parties on my Kindle, so I guess I have that to look forward to.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 29, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

blunt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aMGbrzgEw

"Hold on man, this just don't feel balanced" :boom:

(Apologies for the lovely youtube, for some reason it's not on nbc.com/hulu)

Whoever that guy was, he did a pretty solid Rami Malek impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Bobby Cannavale is like the master of playing scary-as-gently caress rage monsters to the point that I hope the guy is a saint IRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJT3xZ9C5Ew

Goddamn, I wasn't expecting M83, Fiona Apple and Vera? Esmail, you're a mensch. :swoon:

• Locked thread