Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I get the feeling that the show will have some huge overall twist that has been in motion since day 1. Something like the whole story has been told between two parallel universes and only though some upcoming subtle hints will we be able to sort out which scenes were in which universe.

But that's just my wacky crackpot idea. Seems more thematic than a jump into a new Fringe series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

My 16 year old son's theory:

Elliot is the first (or maybe 2nd after White Rose) self aware AI, Christian Slater is his creator and their world is a simulation.

When Slater appears it's either the AI programming going haywire or Slater is literally ssh'ing into Elliot.

Elliot being a literal robot or human with an AI chip doesn't work because he presumably would have had brain scans and tests done, what with his mental illness and all, and someone would have noticed.

That really is the best theory. Fits thematically and would be really satisfying I think. Good call!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I told myself I wouldn't come back to this thread for Season 3 but gently caress it, I have opinions and I want to post them somewhere.

The basic battle of “Elliot vs His Other Half” with Elliot not realizing he’s even going Mr. Robot and Mr. Robot not remembering anything that Elliot does is ... not interesting to me at all. Season 2 almost saved itself when it seemed like Mr. Robot won Elliot over to his side and I was ready for some feel good Season 1 co-working action only to be disappointed by Elliot refusing to agree to Mr. Robot’s terms.

Combine this with the still-a-mystery tease of White Rose chilling at what looks like a large hadron collider and Angela thinking the past can be changed (we all know White Rose probably killed that fish just to bring it back to life to show Angela what she’s capable of) and you’re really losing my interest. Start answering questions, push forward some action, make some real strides in the plot, or you lose what audience you have left.

Also, I feel like the show is trying to debase itself to lure in a more casual audience. The conversation around “you just won the whole tournament in 2 minutes” was just all awkward and cringe-inducing. Not the “don’t touch me or talk to me” part, that’s classic Elliot. I just think this portrayal of "he’s the best hacker” and his discussion with the guy about how he could do it the hack... it all seemed way dumber than what Mr. Robot is usually known for. There’s no subtlety or substance to the interactions that went on in the 1984 club. What could have been a way sleeker scene just fell flat for me.

It’s hard to describe but one more thing that bothered me was the editing is not even close to as on point as it used to be. It’s hard to describe (was actually easy to point out all the faults with this during Season 2) but I’ll point out four specific scenes in this episode that could have been much better if the editor, cinematographer, and director were actually checking in with each other.

1: The long-take scene in the 1984 club had really obvious stitch points. Too obvious. I understand the need for them but they could have been way less obvious which, in turn, made them eye-roll-worthy. A good long-take forces you to re-watch to find the stitch points. You could spot these from a mile away.

2: When the camera was directly over Irving’s car it seemed like a prime spot to do a very stylish and cool transitional scene... except they cut away from the top-cam while the convertible converts, show Irving write on his hand, and then cut back to the top-cam for the drive-away. It basically took what would be a nice looking scene and decapitated it uselessly. If you’re going to make the camera do something cool, do not interrupt it.

3: When Elliot goes on his rant it goes from inner monologue to outer monologue... and then back to inner. Consistency of the take is ruined while there’s no good reason given for this back and forth.

4: There was at least one ADR that was pure awful. You could see the person saying something completely different from what the dub was. I’m so sick of poor ADR in movies and TV nowadays. It’s like all the audio engineers went on strike a few years back and nobody bothered to report it.

These are all really really bad opinions. This episode has things that you can critique, but these four are really bad ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Don't forget that China wants the Congo really bad for some reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Claim your free mr robot hoodie. Just got mine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I haven't been able to get poo poo from that E-Corp site. Every time i go they're always sold out. :(

Same here, fluke thing where I happened to pull my phone out right when the email came across and I got lucky.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Samizdata posted:

No, you got MINE.

They were sold out in the time it took for me to get the email and open the site. Just like every other limited number giveaway they offer. :sigh:

Need to have auto-fill contact information ready on your phone, friend.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got my Mr. Robot sweatshirt just now. It's a large and fits quite well despite my normally being a medium. The lettering is very muted so it's actually a nice piece of swag without looking like it.

Eat that haters.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's very similar to the one Elliot wears. I expected it to be pretty bulky but it's fairly light and thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Get your e-coin water bottles!

Got one! That makes two prizes so far. Hoodie and now this.

• Locked thread