Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to presume he means Nielsen ratings, not iMDB ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked the whole 'Fiona is in the IRA' aspect of Burn Notice. It's like having a show in 2030 where the female lead is an active member of ISIS and it's no big deal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vanderdeath posted:

I randomly watched an episode of Burn Notice with my mom (she was a big fan) and it was the one where Michael convinced some gang members that he was the devil. That was enough to sell me then and there.

I heard about that one but never saw it. I should dig it out. It's a fun show!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm a bit worried about the finale and I don't really know why. While I've enjoyed the Tyrell thing, it kinda feels like he's the main character from another show and I'm a bit cautious that they seem to think that everyone involved here has to have a big, complex arc or they're not worthy as a character.

I think the Mr Robot was a symptom of Elliot's mental illness is enough for me, and don't really want a ton of the world around him to start falling apart as figments of his broken imagination. The Tyrell thing being as over the top as it is means it could go in multiple directions, and I'm expecting a cliffhanger of some sort.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know jack poo poo about mental illness, but watching the Louis Theroux documentaries where he talked to people who had paranoid schizophrenia, a common trait they exhibited was that they blacked out and don't remember undertaking really bad and violent crimes. So I'm on the 'Elliot murdered Tyrell' train. We know he had access to a gun, and we've seen when he's Mr Robot he has a nasty streak to him. It makes sense.

And I hope Tyrell is gone, because giving him such a crazy storyline too was the only thing I didn't like. If he was the protagonist of another show, it would've been interesting but I don't need every character dealing with a major battle all at the same time. It worked for The OC but not for a show like this. I don't want to hear about the dead wife thing ever again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The web versions are censored too which is really annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The door knock was a bit of a weird place to leave Elliot's story. They needed to have set up something where if Character X got to him first it was good, but if Character Y got there first got to him, it was really bad. Right now I have zero suspense as to who is behind the door, because if it was anything important they would've shown it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's fair. I just felt the scene ended on an 'oh' rather than an 'ooh'. Doesn't detract from the season as a whole though, and I'm glad there hasn't been a new, crazy twist to be honest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's Jesse Pinkman. Crossover motherfuckers!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dog man is hoping there will be logs on the machines he proxied through, showing Elliot's home IP and the machines he then accessed. Anyone doing this for real would be jumping through a bunch of places though which would make tracking him an absolute nightmare.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

empty baggie posted:

It really boggles your mind that someone would find a USB stick on the ground and not try to use it for their own purpose? Most people would be like " hey, free thumb drive hell yeah!". That's the most plausible of any hack in this show.

Yeah when I learnt about it being a real world practise a few years ago it blew my mind. It's so simple but incredibly effective. Id probably have done the same before learning about it, and probably would still. My housemate has found USB sticks belonging to students before and used the files to trace them back, but i presume the environment he's in is protected to stop any known malicious entities from an attack. But if it's something custom written specifically to infiltrate the network he's on? Owned.

Can't think of much in the way of social engineering that's happened in s1, that's always my favourite real world method. Tell people to do something in an official voice and they'll probably do it. High vis jacket and a clipboard, how many people will honestly question if you are who you say you are?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's probably just easier to nuke the whole machine, as things like the network interface will have a MAC ID etc. why strip it down when you can just throw the whole thing in the fire.

And yeah, when it comes to security online regardless of what precautions you take you have to presume that everything you do can be traced back to you. Because that encryption protocol you use is probably busted wide open and offers zero protection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spacman posted:

E: Also, whoever did the music for this needs an emmy.

It's fantastic, and I've meant to mention it a bunch of times. Again, it feels like it's heavily influenced from elsewhere (in my mind it's Trent Reznor's soundtrack for The Social Network, which I loved) but it doesn't matter. It's used perfectly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ultramiraculous posted:

This show is really a lesson in why you should just epoxy all your non-essential ports shut.

Are vents non-essential? Why is my computer on fire?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still have the memories of sitting at an Atari ST and having to go through about 300 discs to find the infected ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Elliot pulled off the arm of the sunglasses to reveal a USB drive.

Has Elliot considered pulling the legs off the dog yet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Stuxnet white paper is some read. It's also my go to thing when people say "nobody uses Macs so nobody ever bothered writing exploits for them", when you have people writing exploits for one very precise system.

Users are always the weakest point of exploitation, and people just don't think. Before I read about it being a technique a few years ago, I'd have never considered it despite it being obvious now. I know my laptop is locked down to only work with our encrypted keys, but given it's a Windows box and I trust our IT team about as much as as I trust my dog not to eat a pizza within easy reach, I bet whatever security protocols they've undertaken are barely effective at best.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The extra week of anticipation and hype didn't help the finale, but I still enjoyed how it ended. It didn't need to be a big event episode, but it still moved things along nicely (and more than I expected). I thought in retrospect having a larger gap between eps 9 and 10 worked nicely when the main character is missing what happened in the last chunk of time.

(Don't see this as me being on the 'why can't we have our TV show!' list, I understood completely when they said they'd delay it and on seeing the episode I mean, there was no way that could've gone out that night.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, we got to see the reaction through Elliot's eyes which was better than at at terminal shot. Which we don't see because it gives us something to think about, but yeah I'd like to see a flashback or some other meltdown scene I agree.

For those who were disappointed, here's a deleted scene showing the hack

Last login: Tue Sep 8 14:16:18 on ttys000
SLACKWARE:~mrrobot$ sudo .hackthegibson

Exciting!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 8, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spoilers: None of the characters are real, and they're all the figment of one man's imagination. That man? Sam Esmail.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So is this any good? I watched 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up after they started using ~cool hacker lingo~ in every other sentence.

The first conversation bugged me too, don't worry you'll get past it. It seemed a little bit 'hey check us out, we know real terminology and we're gonna use it'. But the show isn't really about hacking, it's just the way of telling the story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've seen USA running generic trailers for this again, does that mean a start date isn't a million miles away?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I genuinely believe the Fight Club esque twist is essentially there so you totally don't see the sister thing coming. The show played us for fools.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WampaLord posted:

I don't know what marble cake is, but the password being "Joshua" was a WarGames reference.

I think that's my favorite reference so far.

Also I'll never see ALF in the same way. And I've seen those 'behind the scenes' videos. And know that Willie is possibly a crack addict who fucks homeless dudes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Powers posted:

E: the server's in Iceland, leads to some dweeb, and it turns out Ross Ulbricht wasn't the Dread Pirate Roberts after all.

The DPR reference is really good, because it's not doing a 'hey this is a pop culture thing we both know and can laugh about', but has become the defacto admin account for dark markets. That's why there have been multiple DPRs arrested, it's become a title rather than a username.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sure, but that's not the mindset people who run dark markets have. The only bit of non realism is that Ray seems to be competent when it comes down to dealing with people in a violent way, where the real DPRs are scrawny libertarian nerds masturbating while fantasizing about being a gangster on a computer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Angela showing her hand so stupidly in that meeting drove me mad. Sure, the dude already knew but seriously?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HorseRenoir posted:

The big tipoff for me that Elliot was in jail rather than an asylum was the scene where Leon kills the inmates, which was shot to look like a prison shanking.

The show pretty expertly let's "you" work it all out when it wants to, with the reveal being there just to cement things. I'd like to think even if we didn't have the asylum idea in our heads already, that particular part would've set off alarm bells and things would've fallen into place.

Whoever spotted the light fixture stuff originally has an awesome eye. Unless they knew from people working on the show that is, but that was an insanely good catch. It's pretty rad that that was the tool used for the reveal too, without them making a big deal of it. Excellent detail work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I right that generally any time the NYC subway is shown in film, it's not actually shot there due to some rules? Because the subway trains there have a really distinctive sound signature as they pull out and you can hear it in the scene where Elliot/Darlene sit down and it leaves the station. So either it's done somewhere where they have the legit trains, or the sound people are insanely good with tiny details. I know one of those guys posts here, so intrigued.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They told me not to expect ALF in season 2 and we all know how that turned out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't know where pogdesign.co.uk/cat gets its episode descriptions from, but I prefer this one to the one on my cable guide.

quote:

fsociety is in too deep rn. an old friend reveals all to elliot. sh*t gets real af.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Diss against Burn Notice, there. Isn't that the second time that's happened recently? Poor Burn Notice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think I prefer that finale to last years, which couldn't live up to the madness of the episode that preceded it.

I hope DJ Mobley got wasted after the scene cut off. Dude sucks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo!

I was at that Fry's Electronics about a week ago!

Where is it, out of interest? I saw the palm trees and thought Florida, but then they said it didn't rain much...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Subterfrugal posted:

Per the FBI poster, it looks like Darlene needs to practice better username discipline.

I love that the directory listing has a link to TOS and the privacy policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Ignoring most of this thread but could anyone tell me quickly how much censored swearing is in this ep? Considering torrenting instead of waiting for Amazon to get off their asses, but can't handle all the censoring.

There's more censored words this episode than uncensored. I don't think they let them get away with anything, and there was a ton of swearing so I'd wait.

• Locked thread