Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«690 »
alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Thank you!

Which idea group would you recommend first, given that Exploration will be second?

Humanist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

alcaras posted:

Thank you!

Which idea group would you recommend first, given that Exploration will be second?

Humanist?

I would probably go administrative. Maybe Economic if you're a fan of that group.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

The first big decision you need to make is whether to fight for your holdings on the continent or surrender them to France. You'll want some big allies if you plan to defend those provinces-- Castile, Aragon, Burgundy (usually rivals England though), Austria. There is an event that triggers very early which will force you to surrender Maine or go to war with France.

You start with a 0/0/0 ruler and no heir, you actually don't want an heir because then you have King Shitlord for decades. The War of the Roses will trigger, it's really not that tough to deal with. Once it ends you'll get a new ruler with good stats.

Take it pretty easy in the early game until you stabilize after War of the Roses. Eat some of Ireland since that's easy, maybe Scotland if you get a chance without France joining. Your manpower is pretty bad, watch it carefully.

You don't really want to take Exploration first imo, take it second if you're going to colonize (I'm assuming so).

edit: oh I forgot to mention the Lollards event, that fires in the first few years and may give you high unrest in a few provinces depending on the option you pick. So in general your early game strategy is to chillax until you deal with War of the Roses and the Lollards.
If you're gonna go for the PU with France dont wait until the surrender of Maine event. If you do you have to beat France + their allies and your allies wont help you.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can you use the same trick to keep France's liberty desire down as you do for CNs? Develop a province every now and then?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Can the Inheritance of Burgundy still trigger if France in under a PU, and will the land go to France or its overlord?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Englands's greatest Prime Minister?

alcaras posted:

Thank you!

Humanist?

Usually something from the Admin group, because you won't be coring much while you're busy dealing with France.

Economic is solid and what I tend to pick when in doubt. Innovative is good as well, but less useful for someone in Western Europe.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER

Taco Defender

In my England game where I wanted to grab a bunch of achievements, I didn't surrender Maine and the AI France decided not to go to war over it. After I formed some alliances and got some favors, I took the Subjugate France mission and formed a PU over them. Then once you start to take control over the English Channel, you're stupidly powerful and even more stupidly rich. It was actually kinda fun.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Can you use the same trick to keep France's liberty desire down as you do for CNs? Develop a province every now and then?
Yes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

White Coke posted:

Can the Inheritance of Burgundy still trigger if France in under a PU, and will the land go to France or its overlord?

I was wrong about this. The event will not fire if France is a subject.

Too Poetic posted:

If you're gonna go for the PU with France dont wait until the surrender of Maine event. If you do you have to beat France + their allies and your allies wont help you.

Your allies probably won't help you anyway, Surrender usually fires too fast for you to get enough favors and calling them in for land is not likely to be possible so early in the game. And even if you do it's not a great idea since you'll probably lose the alliance when you stiff them. The point of having the allies is not to call them in but to deprive France of the chance to ally them themselves.

Node posted:

In my England game where I wanted to grab a bunch of achievements, I didn't surrender Maine and the AI France decided not to go to war over it. After I formed some alliances and got some favors, I took the Subjugate France mission and formed a PU over them. Then once you start to take control over the English Channel, you're stupidly powerful and even more stupidly rich. It was actually kinda fun.

It's extremely fun, I really recommend this run. The first time I tried it I actually lost the PU thanks to my chronically lovely relations with France and my king dying out of nowhere like a year after I won the war, so I had to take it back in a big rear end hellwar. Somewhere back in the thread I posted a picture of how that run turned out, I basically locked down the whole new world and was making over 400 gold a month in tariffs alone. You can take it in a lot of different directions once you have France reined in.

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Too Poetic posted:

You can call allies into the SoM war as normal (you'll likely need to promise them land, though).

skasion posted:

Your allies probably won't help you anyway, Surrender usually fires too fast for you to get enough favors and calling them in for land is not likely to be possible so early in the game. And even if you do it's not a great idea since you'll probably lose the alliance when you stiff them. The point of having the allies is not to call them in but to deprive France of the chance to ally them themselves.

Aragon, Burgundy and Castile are all likely to want french land if they rival France. It required a couple of restarts, but I managed to get both Burgundy and Castile to help me get the union in my recent England run.

Silent Banana fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2017 around 00:30

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spinning Sufis on their heads
Are hearing tones of wisdom
Devilish women warning
Men of their actions,
Now bring them
To you and me

Tfw you're going for White Elephant and Ming decides it'd rather annex Pegu than make it a tributary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Any advice for trying to take down Muscovy as a Russian minor? It's rough going. I seem to either bite it early or get pretty strong--but not quick enough to outpace Muscovy's explosive growth so that they're basically impossible to tackle when the Ottomans have started breathing down my neck.

«690 »