Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

For example, taking all the land and also all the treasury as a Horde would be great

The Great Khan frowned as he watched his men dump tons of gold and other assorted vauables from his latest conquest into the river, never to be seen again. He didn't understand why, but his ministers assured him that this was the way of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Schizotek posted:

As it is the Ottomans blob way faster and more successfully than their historical counterpart did.

Huh? The OE blobs more slowly in the game than it did in real life, where it reached nearly its maximum extent about a century into the game. Matching the pace of Selim's and Suleiman's conquests isn't easy.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
EU5 is going to be a clicker/idle game.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

This was a few pages back, but:

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, they used to have a variant like this for EU2 (?) called 'Fantasia'. Randomizer DLC definitely needs a new Fantasia mode too.

There's a current EU4 Fantasia mod on the steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135104888&searchtext=fantasia+extended

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Varam posted:

Huh? The OE blobs more slowly in the game than it did in real life, where it reached nearly its maximum extent about a century into the game. Matching the pace of Selim's and Suleiman's conquests isn't easy.

Maybe it's because I'm not counting their North African holdings which never get conquered because Tunis always decides to be a vassal in everything but name, but they always eat Egypt faster than they historically did and then eat Persia by 1550. Sometimes they hold off on Europe, but sometimes they go ham until they reach the HRE.

e: I ran a game on observe while I read a book to demonstrate. I don't think it proved anything I wanted it to.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 20, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
i'm the hot mess that is eastern europe/central asia

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
did you set the Hwan Empire (History of Korean) flag by accident when you started that game

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

imo we need a new bar to fill that lets you purchase missions

when you do certain things you get Mission Points and then you can choose from a longer list of possible missions, with more powerful missions costing more

this would fit perfectly with the Paradox design model of each DLC/patch introducing at least two new types of points to manage, because we always need more UI elements and bars to watch fill up!

Yeah I'd prefer it if they alternated between bars and sliders, or maybe add one of each per expansion?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Schizotek posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not counting their North African holdings which never get conquered because Tunis always decides to be a vassal in everything but name, but they always eat Egypt faster than they historically did and then eat Persia by 1550. Sometimes they hold off on Europe, but sometimes they go ham until they reach the HRE.

e: I ran a game on observe while I read a book to demonstrate. I don't think it proved anything I wanted it to.

Go home Novgorod, you're drunk.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

i'm the hot mess that is eastern europe/central asia
I'm the Ligor that took over Indochina.

Detheros posted:

Go home Novgorod, you're drunk.
gently caress why cant this happen in any of my games? Russia is always this huge blob with a billion dudes.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Both Muscovy and Ethiopia. What even happened?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alloran posted:

Alodia is going for Kushite Restoration, it seems.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's extremely rare, but Muscovy can lose/disintegrate, and Novgorod's AI isn't anywhere near as aggressive.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah I'd prefer it if they alternated between bars and sliders, or maybe add one of each per expansion?
A slider that determines how fast your bar builds up, and a bar that when full allows you to move the slider, which gets filled by hiring advisors of the appropriate category.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 20, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A slider that determines how fast your bar builds up, and a bar that when full allows you to move the slider, which gets filled by hiring advisors of the appropriate category.

nice real excited for this dlc, Mana from Heaven

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Schizotek posted:

This is utter batshit. Amazing. Only thing that would make it better as an weird map would be if the Ottomans were doing lovely instead of just okay or if Morocco was more successful--and the latter could still be in the cards.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Is it just me, or does the AI consistently make completely backwards and ahistorical colonization choices?

The Caribbean is consistently a hotly contested area, as it should be, but the continental New World gets silly. Especially with England and Castile/Spain I keep seeing them grabbing whatever colonial areas are the most out of the way for their trade routes, rather than the best ones. Britain goes for South and Central America while Spain hits up the US/Canada region. Minor colonizers are also strange, for example Norway usually starts colonizing at some point but instead of going for Canada they tend to pick up Colombia for whatever reason.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atreiden posted:

finished my Brandenburg->Prussia game. Ended up controlling all of the americas and the african trade companies and picking up two achievements, Laughingstock and center of attention, so that was nice. I wish Prussia had a better map colour than almost uncolonized gray, I used to play with a mod that changed it to Prussian blue, but it wasn't Ironman compatible.

It was a fun run especially seeing what the Ai did to Moscow and Novgorod. it started normal with Moscow eating Novgorod, then Denmark taking the Novgorod part from Moscow, followed by Lithuania taking parts of Moscow. Moscow then exploded in a civil war. The minor Russians than fought amongst them self, with Nizhny Novgorod being the dominant power. Novgorod broke free from Denmark, only to be conquered by Sweden and Lithuania. Eventually Sweden broke its alliance with Lithuania and Sweden and the Ottomans basically split Lithuania between them.
Ming also Exploded and Korea emerged as a greatpower.

I'm at a point now where I have done most of the achievements that doesn't require a specific nation and several of the specific ones. Still a lot left, but I kinda miss having the more general ones, since it's nice to have some goals other than blob and colonize. I do wish that there was more triggered modifiers and that they weren't mainly religious ones, since that would help with goals for a campaign other than achievements.
I understand that ages sort of work like that, but I don't have Mandate of heaven and won't buy it until it goes on sale and I'm not even sure then, since it sounds like they broke East Asia with Ming.

Wait, how did you conquering all of the americas while Spain and France seem to be pretty powerful?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Guildencrantz posted:

Is it just me, or does the AI consistently make completely backwards and ahistorical colonization choices?

The Caribbean is consistently a hotly contested area, as it should be, but the continental New World gets silly. Especially with England and Castile/Spain I keep seeing them grabbing whatever colonial areas are the most out of the way for their trade routes, rather than the best ones. Britain goes for South and Central America while Spain hits up the US/Canada region. Minor colonizers are also strange, for example Norway usually starts colonizing at some point but instead of going for Canada they tend to pick up Colombia for whatever reason.

I've seen England plop down 2 colonies on Cuba, then promptly ignore the rest of those juicy 4/5/1 islands, or north America, to focus on Brazil and Argentina. Also Norway colonizing Colombia and Portugal going exclusively for the Ivory coast (this last one kinda makes sense but still... Seeing the Caribbean half empty in 1600 makes me go :aaaaa: )

I think something's not quite right with colonizing AI but I have no idea how/why

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 20, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Alloran posted:

Ethiopia can be easily ganged up on by local muslim powers.

If Novgorod somehow pretends to be like a human player they can ally with Lithuania (if it doesn't get PU'd by Poland) and give Muscovy a stomping when they do their year 1 war.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mans posted:

Wait, how did you conquering all of the americas while Spain and France seem to be pretty powerful?

I was Prussia holding all of the HRE, Polish part of Poland, Hungary, parts of northern Italy and Denmark. I had almost 1mill manpower, around 500k standing army and a ton of money , it was very easy to bully them, break their alliances and then basically declare war on them every time a peace treaty ran out. So basically cycled through fighting France, Spain, England and Portugal, while colonizing and mainly taking colonies in the peace treaties.
EDIT: And I was very lucky to get Austria, who had integrated Hungary, as a junior partner in a PU in the early 1600. I used that to dissolve the HRE, since Catholicism had won the thirty-years war but other than Austria, there was no strong Catholic countries in the HRE.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 21, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Schizotek posted:

I only just realized Ligor, wtf.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Tahirovic posted:

I only just realized Ligor, wtf.

My current game had near-great power Nevers without any direct or indirect involvement on my part. They diminished a little towards the end but at one point held like 25 provinces south of Low Countries and east of Paris. Most of France was Spain. The Alps was Great Power Savoy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I started a Poland game as my first Ironman run and after a royal marriage to Lithuania, we created a PU within a month of the start date. Um, am I doing this right?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So how the hell am I meant to get an England game off the ground? Should I just abandon my French holdings and avoid royal marriages so the disaster can fire and give me a ruler who isn't total dogshit?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I started a Poland game as my first Ironman run and after a royal marriage to Lithuania, we created a PU within a month of the start date. Um, am I doing this right?

the death of the polish king and the subsequent personal union from the brother taking over are why the game starts when it does

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

oddium posted:

the death of the polish king and the subsequent personal union from the brother taking over are why the game starts when it does

:fry: Ha, I'm an idiot, thanks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't tried an Asian game since Mandate of Heaven because of the outcry from this very thread. Has that changed at all in recent patches? Is Ming still dumbly overbearing?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

So how the hell am I meant to get an England game off the ground? Should I just abandon my French holdings and avoid royal marriages so the disaster can fire and give me a ruler who isn't total dogshit?

Might be worth restarting until you can get a decent set of alliances on mainland europe to hold of France, until you have dealt with the war of the roses.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I haven't tried an Asian game since Mandate of Heaven because of the outcry from this very thread. Has that changed at all in recent patches? Is Ming still dumbly overbearing?

if you're in asia it's fine, you just pay the tribute and go hogwild like normal. it's when you're on the fringe of asia and suddenly every war against an opm east of the caucuses is also a war against ming that sucks

e: also everything related to ming having and losing the mandate is bad. but just hanging around in asia isn't

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

You're going to effectively have to pay an " East Asia Tax" and resign yourself to just ignoring Chinese lands outright for a couple of centuries. It's especially noticeable in a Japanese game because it really limits your options. Also say goodbye to ever getting great power status in the meantime.

Whether or not this kills the fun enough to avoid it is up to you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bloody Pom posted:

You can definitely do this and still wind up very strong, it's the easiest way to do an England start since nothing else in the British isles can really threaten you and the continental enemies can't get to you. However it's also totally possible, and in the long run will put you in a much stronger position, to merc up, get some good allies, and take over France. You will need to pay close attention to their movements, wipe out their armies quickly and siege them down as rapidly as possible, all the while hoping that events or disasters don't suddenly drop gigantic amounts of rebels in your backyard, but if you have good generals and a bit of luck it is totally possible. Be advised that if you succeed, France will still be very unhappy with you and if they can find a single worthwhile ally are likely to launch an independence war before the 15th century is up. This round two should be slightly easier than the first war, hopefully, because you've been enriching yourself and consolidating the British Isles to up your army size in the meantime. If you can win that one (or even lose it, toughen up quickly, and use the Restoration of Union CB you will get to come back and beat them) they are not likely to rebel again and you will be in an immensely strong position for just about anything you want to do. It's a good way to start a Roman Empire run, or colonize everything and make hundreds a month in tariffs, or whatever.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One thing that keeps loving me up is France nearly always replacing their guarantee on Scotland with an alliance. And Scotland deciding not to buddy up with an Irish minor that I can use to drag them into a fight.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Bloody Pom posted:

One thing that keeps loving me up is France nearly always replacing their guarantee on Scotland with an alliance. And Scotland deciding not to buddy up with an Irish minor that I can use to drag them into a fight.

Deal with Scotland first, then go deal with France. Use your fleet to prevent the French from landing troops on your island

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Deal with Scotland first, then go deal with France. Use your fleet to prevent the French from landing troops on your island

This and try to get Austria and Aragorn-Napolis as Allies, having those + possibly Castile/Portugal to deal with France makes it a lot easier, even if they lose, they are making France burn money and manpower while you deal with Scotland, making it easier to turn around and take on France after. It's imho worth restarting until you get Austria and Aragorn to rival France. Burgundy might also be a possible ally but Austria tend to rival them and Austria is a better ally imho.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
poo poo's on sale, time for the requisite "which DLC" questions.

I can see that Art of War is a big one, but is this like CK2 in that you need certain DLCs to play as certain types of people, or are they valid, but the experience is a bit better with the appropriate DLC?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dareon posted:

poo poo's on sale, time for the requisite "which DLC" questions.

I can see that Art of War is a big one, but is this like CK2 in that you need certain DLCs to play as certain types of people, or are they valid, but the experience is a bit better with the appropriate DLC?

The latter. Though Common Sense helps quite a lot outside of Europe, to the point some would say it's almost mandatory.

As for which DLCs, Common Sense, Art of War, and Rights of Man are the three really good ones.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Nothing's locked out without DLC like in CK2, but some DLCs make playing as certain types of countries dramatically more fun, and of those Common Sense is the most important, since it has one feature that's borderline necessary for everywhere outside of Europe. It's also a good expansion in general. Rights of Man is the other major one with lots of features for everybody, and with the three of those the game is very solid.

Mandate of Heaven and Cossacks especially are the other major ones with global features you'll notice as every tag, but they're not nearly so necessary, and Mandate of Heaven has something that makes playing in India or the Steppe kinda un-fun. Hopefully they'll fix that next patch but we'll see I guess.

Other than that most of them are less global, with more of a focus on a specific playstyle. Of those, ordered in imo most to least important:
  • El Dorado if you wanna play a Mesoamerican/ Andean nation (it also has a custom nation designer which can be pretty good if that floats your boat)
  • Third Rome if you wanna play as Russia or an Orthodox country
  • Wealth of nations is you wanna play a European colonizer into Asia
  • Mare Nostrum has stuff for naval play but IMO most of it does very little
  • Star and Crescent pack (in the digital extreme edition) has a whole ton of events for Muslims. might become a bit obsolete after the next expansion though
  • Res Publica if you wanna play the Dutch. was more important until its major other feature got folded into a later expansion.

Also Cossacks has a lot of stuff for nomadic countries, and Mandate of Heaven has tons for East Asia. Also worth mentioning there'll almost certainly be another sale when the next expansion comes out (which should be in the next month or two), so if you wanna pass something up to get later there'll be lots of other chances.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

So doing my Ethiopia game again.

So first off, game is going better than last time, mainly because Ottomans have been slow to attack me it seems. I was able to grab Cairo and Alexandria faster than they could. Lacking some of the other nice provinces around them, but I made them states anyway since I grabbed Mandate of Heaven and discovered the Defensive Edict, boosting my defensiveness to over 100% (and the Feudal De Jure edict was boss). Allied with Tunnis... who is allied with the Ottomans, which will hopefully buy me time. Allied with Oman too. They've been pretty decent for dealing with Yemen and Warsangali. Pretty sure they'll crumble against Ottomans though... hoping to make it down with some big gains against Kilwa and get that Mombasa trade collection going like someone suggested. Also Kilwa has a PU with Kongo, so that means I can take 100% of their land but only get 50% warscore :smithicide:

Now, for bitching...

So let me get this straight: You lose Defender of the Faith if you lose -any- war, even when sided for/against non-believers, and even when answering as call to arms as a non-co-belligerent non-believers?

What a lovely system. I mean I grabbed it because that War Exhaustion reduction since it's great (take my time with wars, no mana costs), figuring I was the only Coptic left.

Also what's with the Exiled army system? I go to help the loving Timurids (the war that I lost my Defender of the Faith from), because I've been sort of allied with them all game since I've been hard up for allies, I go in and clean up this mess they've been in, siege this little two province minor (Kokkand) who's allied with Multan in the war against them. Timurids peace Kokkand out separately, then my army is exiled since it was in Kokkand's territory... even when I go back into Timurid territory, the war still on-going, I'm exiled.

So if I get exiled like that, I have to book my rear end all the way back to Ethiopia?

I'm pretty sure at this point this thread at the point for me is to bitch about the capricious nature of the rules in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah the exile system can be pretty rough. It's even more fun when you exile ally armies by accident and then they stand there doing nothing while you continue fighting the main war target alone.

• Locked thread