Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

I know, I've been to the internet before
WHAT.

Keep us posted on how the Sikh game goes, I have not tried one of those yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Looking at Sikhs they seem pretty cool (except the +1 stab at the end, so anti-climatic after the super modifiers before. That gotta go) but never played them so want to get a feel for how Gurus actually play out.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Groogy posted:

Sikh ironman game

https://youtu.be/KvertGZkwF4

e:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
People say players would complain about bundles but that's literally just returning to what used to be the default case. Did any significant amount of people who bought In Nomine complain when EU3 Complete (the one that's not complete) came out?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bundles are basically required now to make the complete game remotely affordable for new players. Grandfathering in old DLC as free updates would be great too but that's probably something you have to establish as policy from release to avoid backlash.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Including all the dlc up to whatever was before MoH in a $60 Eu4 Complete version seems reasonable. Then make the big dlc $10, the halfsie 3rd Rome ones $5, and cosmetic stuff $2.50. Alternatively price dlc $15/$10, but include the cosmetic packs. I feel like they'd sell like hotcakes and people would be happy with it cost-wise.

Or just do EU5 already johan.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, isn't the whole game like $200+ now if you wanted to buy the complete bundle from scratch?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah, and they don't do 75% off sales anymore (only up to 50%), which is when I bought everything up to whatever was before MoH.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm like super target audience for Paradox and if I walked into EUIV or CKII fresh, having not 'bought in' from the start, I'd NOPE out of there, chuckling at the cost.

I guess they're doing okay though...

EDIT: Might help if someone was competing with them in that game space. They've pretty much got a monopoly right now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are some that are sorta comparable- Firaxis and Creative Assembly, and they run just as expensive really. Although they do actually reduce their prices, to be fair.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Then make the big dlc $10, the halfsie 3rd Rome ones $5, and cosmetic stuff $2.50.

I'm with you on the first part of your post but this is delusionally cheap. Since it seems like they only do 66% off sales like once a year now though the game is seriously crying out for some proper bundles.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, isn't the whole game like $200+ now if you wanted to buy the complete bundle from scratch?

I think it's actually like $300+ now lmfao

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Definitely getting up there into railworks territory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Almost at half Sims level too.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Koramei posted:

I'm with you on the first part of your post but this is delusionally cheap. Since it seems like they only do 66% off sales like once a year now though the game is seriously crying out for some proper bundles.

If you only look in Steam store maybe, but between their own page, Steam and other key sellers like Humble and GMG it's on sale almost every month.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The combined price of dlc packs is currently 197€ on steam and that's not counting the so called content and unit packs. + the base game at 40€. So 237€ just to get up to date, add the probably 20€ that cradle of civilization will probably cost and you are looking at 257€ or roughly 305$. So yea the prices are a bit insane by now and is one of the reason Paradox gets a bad rep.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It doesn't really have a bad rep

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn't really have a bad rep

Then whatever else you want to call the reason for the numerous bad reviews they get do to the dlc structure and prices.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
White noice.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If you mean the big surge of bad reviews that happened, I wouldn't count that. That was a thing that happened across several games and not only ours on Steam at the same time. Ever since that the reviews have slowly been growing towards positive again.

Our response to it was to revert our price change and compensate people who had bought stuff with the new price which seemed to be quite positively received.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Groogy posted:

If you mean the big surge of bad reviews that happened, I wouldn't count that. That was a thing that happened across several games and not only ours on Steam at the same time. Ever since that the reviews have slowly been growing towards positive again.

Our response to it was to revert our price change and compensate people who had bought stuff with the new price which seemed to be quite positively received.

Fair enough. I'm definitely biased, as I can just see a ton of bad reviews and I agree with a lot of them and they have kept me from buying the latest expansions.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

HOI4
¨
EU4

CK2

Or are you simply focusing on reviews like this?

^actually playing HOI4 as we speak

I mean obviously there's going to be some self-bias where you pick out what fits your own viewpoint, that applies to me as well obviously, but come on. "tons" is not really what we are getting. We had an insane uptick during the time when we got reviewed bombed but it kind of stabilized itself again. We do care about the reviews and take them seriously, just want to say have a bit more context around it other than "everyone hates it"

edit: Also reminds me when the fake attempt went on Reddit where people were photoshopping pictures of us requiring you to buy new DLC's to play older games like Vicky2 and EU3 for some dumb reason and Reddit ate it whole without questioning why the hell would we ever do that ever?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 12, 2017

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Neither, I mean for the specific dlc's, since we are talking dlc, not the basegame and especially the newer dlc. Both third Rome and MoH gets a mixed score and there are a lot of negative reviews (is a lot better than a ton? I don't really care for a semantics fight, I'm just trying to say I see a many negative reviews) and I see the same trend on the HoI4 dlc's.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Granted, negative DLC reviews tend to often be people complaining that things in the DLC aren't part of the free patch. Even Art of War is "Mixed" right now. That said... it's valid complaints. I smiled when I saw this positive review:

...and it's not wrong! It's really stupid that things as basic as transferring occupation are not part of the base game by this point.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The DLC see way less reviews and a lot of the reviews we get on the base game are actually in fact reviews of our DLC's even. Just the fact that The Old Gods seen as a must have on CK2 doesn't even have 100 Reviews over the course of about 4.5 years speak for itself. However we have bunch of reviews on the base game praising or hating on The Old Gods, or other DLC's. I think the most reviews we have on one single expansion is Common Sense? Ages ago I looked that up though but I would be surprised if t ever reaches 500.

And this is sort of funny, if you go by EU4 expansions, every single one is around 50% while the game itself is at around 80%. If you then look at for instance CK2 it is about when EU4 gets released that we start to get mixed there as well. Before that even Sword of Islam is on 74% positive which has often been cited as a "cheap money grab by Paradox". Though here's the thing, the amount of reviews on our expansions are too few to actually be statistically viable, the sample size is not big enough really to tell us much. We can actually calculate a trend to grade our performance on the reviews that come in on the base game during release of an expansion better than we can on an expansions own reviews. Just the fact that EU4 gets more reviews a month than any of our DLC's have during their entire life time.

But like I said, you see a lot of negative reviews, doesn't really matter what numbers I have or what I say, you are going to keep seeing it like that. They will also never go away really. There's a lot of things we need to fix and get better at, but to try and find "a new recent trend" from reviews on DLC's is not going to give us any information, what you are seeing there has been going on for about 3 to 4 years already. :shrug:

edit: Just to make clear I am not dissing that things are wrong and needs to get fixed. In next patch I rewrote entirely how modifiers are treated if you don't have a DLC with exclusive modifiers. This should ease some pain that people without common sense have, for instance the terrain penalties that could cripple your income. Among a lot of other things like that.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 12, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

make eu5

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

no

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:whitewater:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Then at least redo Mandate of Heaven

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my big thing for eu5 would be copying all the estate stuff from m&t except make it not bad

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Please

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It wasn't clear at the start because someone said "no, US law does not require management to maximise short term profit" and you said that was "100% false". It's strange how when you say things that aren't true, and then condescend to people who disagree you about them, people will assume you believe things that aren't true!

This is still incorrect. Management has immense latitude when it comes to deciding what maximises long-term shareholder wealth, and deciding not to do microtransactions because you think they will piss players off or whatever is well within those bounds. Publicly traded companies make much more questionable decisions about what is best for profits all the time. The reason you see lots of companies doing microtransactions is because corporate officers have much stronger incentives to pursue profits than "a shareholder will sue us if we don't".

This is correct and ham sandwiches is wrong.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

ok then

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Polity will get you anything these days.

+10 Awful Diplomatic Reputation

Rapner
May 7, 2013

You heard it here first folks, eu5 is coming out any day now.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Do Vicky3 first. :colbert:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

hailthefish posted:

Do Vicky3 first. :colbert:

Please.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Sorry can only say ok to one thing at a time, you already spent it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groogy posted:

Sorry can only say ok to one thing at a time, you already spent it.

Congratulations on reaching Empire last dev game, by the way.

Please?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
make Steppe Wolf II an official paradox game please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Congratulations on reaching Empire last dev game, by the way.

Please?

Thanks but flattery won't help

• Locked thread