Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Playstation 4 posted:

Cool, tell us of your opinions on cheevo sanctity and the "cazhul in may VIJEMOGAMZ'" menace next.

Eh what? Ok cool I'll stop fixing bugs then.

Also new dev diary, big chunk of it is on moddability from me if we got any modders in here that's interested.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-17th-of-october-2017.1050634/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Playstation 4 posted:

Cool, tell us of your opinions on cheevo sanctity and the "cazhul in may VIJEMOGAMZ'" menace next.

you, uh, don't want the devs fixing exploits?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Fix them all you want, there's nothing wrong with it. Acting as though using it is a problem and moral failing is.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Playstation 4 posted:

Playstation 4 posted:

Fix them all you want, there's nothing wrong with it. Acting as though using it is a problem and moral failing is.

I suspect that you might be the one taking things too seriously here.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I know intent fail to translate over the internet well but I am pretty sure everyone understood the "you cheater" was in jest. The post meat was just simply saying "Hey we know about that bug and we've fixed it for the coming patch"

Chill eh? Not every single thing is something to get dramatic over.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Eh, the whole thing was me attempting to make a dumb joke while bored at work and it failed miserably. Just laugh at my dumbassery, cause I hosed that one up :v:

Sorry for wasting your time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my father died when a horde of chievie hunters caught him using shadow diplomats. rest in power

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Haha Poe's law kind of huh?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Groogy posted:

Haha Poe's law kind of huh?

My job is really boring when there's a lull, its also boring when its busy, but at least its busy.

Speaking of groog, you work there, do you have any tips on quickly doing trade node setup on an entirely new map? That's a lot of numbers to write down.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No not really :/ It is really painful and there aren't many shortcuts really to get things right and done. Maybe I'll visit that some day in the future and try and make it a bit better.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
what I did is to group all my province history files by areas and regions in a spreadsheet, so I can just copy the numbers from a series of rows right next to each other from that and put them right in the trade nodes etc. Since Mandate of Heaven official design has been (I'm pretty sure anyway) for trade nodes to match regions, so it's simple in that sense now too.

also I don't understand half the new modding scripting stuff but I don't have time to look it over properly now so I'll probably have questions about that later. thank you groogy (and all of paradox) for really supporting this stuff though, occasionally I try to mod other games and remember how good we have it for these titles

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The static trade nodes would be my #1 thing to fix in EU5. gently caress the concept of "end nodes". I want to reverse trade flow, stupid white privilege!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

also I don't understand half the new modding scripting stuff but I don't have time to look it over properly now so I'll probably have questions about that later. thank you groogy (and all of paradox) for really supporting this stuff though, occasionally I try to mod other games and remember how good we have it for these titles

Ask away, I'll be hanging out on this thread a bit more since I am on eu4 team nowdays.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
That said, what program do you guys use for the actual work on those map files. I wrote a pretty extensive ahk for handling all the work with the provinces.CSV, and if you guys could use it that'd be good, but it'd probably be better implemented as something in one of the programs rather than running Gimp, N++, and the ahk juryrig script to do it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We use Sublime Text 3 at the office.... I know top of the art utilities....

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Groogy posted:

We use Sublime Text 3 at the office.... I know top of the art utilities....

I meant for the image editing, the ahk has to rely on me opening the color select window to work, as Gimp has no hotkey, nor can one be assigned, to do that.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Tahirovic posted:

The static trade nodes would be my #1 thing to fix in EU5. gently caress the concept of "end nodes". I want to reverse trade flow, stupid white privilege!

I don't know about that. Modding them, sure, if it's doable. Ocean currents, river flow and mountain passes just created trade routes in reality, though. Not all but many large cities are at river estuaries and such for a reason and I like that it's not random.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

oddium posted:

tell me about it

definitely have the time to take this one all the way but it's so tedious

nice Ottawa and Huron.

i like when tribes are strong.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Valiantman posted:

I don't know about that. Modding them, sure, if it's doable. Ocean currents, river flow and mountain passes just created trade routes in reality, though. Not all but many large cities are at river estuaries and such for a reason and I like that it's not random.

Trade routes were generally two way connections.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Valiantman posted:

You're not wrong, but like Tahirovic says, trade flowed both directions. All the trade in the world did not end up in Venice, Genoa, and Antwerp; they were just rich places because there were people in those places that wanted to buy things from far away. Now, the game is Europa Universalis and originally the game was built mainly to play as European powers with the world as your sandbox, but with the developments (no pun intended) in EU4 you can play anywhere and be the #1 world power, so being able to pull trade into the Ethipoia node, or Mongolia, or whatever, would make much more sense, which is why people want a more dynamic trade system in EU5.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You're not wrong, but like Tahirovic says, trade flowed both directions. All the trade in the world did not end up in Venice, Genoa, and Antwerp; they were just rich places because there were people in those places that wanted to buy things from far away. Now, the game is Europa Universalis and originally the game was built mainly to play as European powers with the world as your sandbox, but with the developments (no pun intended) in EU4 you can play anywhere and be the #1 world power, so being able to pull trade into the Ethipoia node, or Mongolia, or whatever, would make much more sense, which is why people want a more dynamic trade system in EU5.

Not disagreeing. I was phone posting so I guess I was too brief. I like that the trade flows with the ocean currents and rivers, and that the routes are fixed where it makes geographical/historical (pregame events) sense. I don't like how it doesn't really make sense that my technologically superior to European powers Aztec Empire that covered 60% of the Americas still bled cash into Antwerp and Seville like mad. Having an effective end node would be okay in my opinion, if it happened because of, say, the development level of the surrounding provinces in tandem with geography. If both weren't in order in for example Venice, the trade would in that game eventually flow into the way more powerful and rich Alexandria or Constantinople.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
On the new vassal missionaries feature, im not quite sure where Muscovy recruits sunni missionaries to send their sunni vassals. Would make more sense if they converted to the overlords religion, at a penalty of unstable vassals and probably some liberty desire.

Groogy posted:

Eh what? Ok cool I'll stop fixing bugs then.

To be fair I think he was replying to your reply to me, where I knew it was a bug but just pointed out theres still a lot of ways to deal with liberty desire without exploits. Whatever.

Butch Banner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 17, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

oddium posted:

tell me about it

I love Bohemia sitting, somehow unmolested, among a sea of purple.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

bohemia is 83.2% of the way to being intergrated, the ottoman/roman emperor having ruled over it in a personal union for ~100 years. commonwealth, with their 61 year old king, also got pu'd like immediately after abolishing the elective monarchy. having bohemia + the commonwealth, then the 6th and 4th great powers at the time, really set the stage for the domination of europe and the death of aggressive expansion mattering

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Butch Banner posted:

To be fair I think he was replying to your reply to me, where I knew it was a bug but just pointed out theres still a lot of ways to deal with liberty desire without exploits. Whatever.

Dude read the rest, I was joking, telling a person it was fixed, he joked about that it, after that it became a weird fars. Nowhere in that you we're involved.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

Dude read the rest, I was joking, telling a person it was fixed, he joked about that it, after that it became a weird fars. Nowhere in that you we're involved.

You've been working on the Iran patch for too long! :v: It's 'farce'

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

oddium posted:

bohemia is 83.2% of the way to being intergrated, the ottoman/roman emperor having ruled over it in a personal union for ~100 years. commonwealth, with their 61 year old king, also got pu'd like immediately after abolishing the elective monarchy. having bohemia + the commonwealth, then the 6th and 4th great powers at the time, really set the stage for the domination of europe and the death of aggressive expansion mattering

Niiiice.

I also love Russia and Russia II.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

oddium posted:

tell me about it

Asking because I'm still relatively new. Is there much reason to form Rome aside from achievements/fun? Losing your culture group seems like a big price to pay for the pretty color.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not really. You get to avoid the penalty for holding Rome as Catholic, if you're Catholic, but probably the best way to do it is Coptic Ottomans with Religious so who cares. The thing is, if you're powerful enough to form the Roman Empire, it barely matters what culture group bonuses you lose because you have already won the game. Like yeah, there go your bonus ducats in Turkey, I guess you will just have to weep into your pile of cash from controlling all the end nodes and also the entirety of Europe.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

since the ottoman core creation idea nerf rome has better ideas. and also it's rome

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Are there any good mods that break up the world into smaller, more interesting states?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Can't lose your culture group if you're the only one in it. Korean Rome or nothing.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Butch Banner posted:

They can still be handled easily by just developing some of their nice spice producing coastline, which you'd probably want to at some point anyway. Or by throwing prestige at them.

20 prestige per 10 liberty desire reduction, or 5 per development. They were around 400% liberty desire, 300% of which was from something like 'events, interactions and blahblah' from them being rebel released I guess. It didn't tick down at all afaik. But behaved like a loyal vassal. I figured I don't mind abusing a bug to fix a bug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rapner posted:

20 prestige per 10 liberty desire reduction, or 5 per development. They were around 400% liberty desire, 300% of which was from something like 'events, interactions and blahblah' from them being rebel released I guess. It didn't tick down at all afaik. But behaved like a loyal vassal. I figured I don't mind abusing a bug to fix a bug.

you heathen you should be ashamed of yourself

*loads up a custom game with a 900/900/900 immortal ruler*

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Eldred posted:

Asking because I'm still relatively new. Is there much reason to form Rome aside from achievements/fun? Losing your culture group seems like a big price to pay for the pretty color.

It's just one of many goals. When I did it, I just formed Rome when I was done playing to get the achievement. Also because I wanted Byzantium to reclaim its former glory :black101:

After a while, shooting for achievements or your own special goals is just how you keep things interesting.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rapner posted:

They nerfed this a while back, I think mostly because of Persia. Every province that defects to a vassal increases liberty desire.
Yes, this was added exactly to stop the Ottomans or whoever else in the region from releasing Persia OPM, white peacing a 100% ws war against the Timurids and then getting all of Persia for free.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

They nerfed this a while back, I think mostly because of Persia. Every province that defects to a vassal increases liberty desire.
Yes, this was added exactly to stop the Ottomans or whoever else in the region from releasing Persia OPM, white peacing a 100% ws war against the Timurids and then getting all of Persia for free.

That's fine, but they would never rebel. I'm happy to fight the independence war, instead I just got a permanent unhappy vassal blocking the way to India.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
What you can do is fund Persian rebels, declare a war to support them and even if you don't give everything over still get a much smaller penalty that'll actually come down at a reasonable rate.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I've been trying to get a cheevo round going, aiming for the four custom nation ones (for Odin, first come first serve, humble origins and ideas guy) but I'm having some difficulty getting a good start.
I think I'm not going about it the right way, but the discussions I find by googling are all outdated or incoherent, so if anyone has tips for national ideas and starting strategies I'm all ears

(I have all dlc save third Rome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Government Handjob posted:

I've been trying to get a cheevo round going, aiming for the four custom nation ones (for Odin, first come first serve, humble origins and ideas guy) but I'm having some difficulty getting a good start.
I think I'm not going about it the right way, but the discussions I find by googling are all outdated or incoherent, so if anyone has tips for national ideas and starting strategies I'm all ears

(I have all dlc save third Rome)

Buy Third Rome, roll back to when Siberian Frontiers for custom nations still cost 0 points, start in Panama, profit.

• Locked thread