Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I know tiny vassal Portugal is gonna ruin this someday, but I wonder how many years it'll take for colonialism to pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So how do you keep up with tech as a japan minor? I'm trying to spawn Renaissance, but because of all the stab events it's either sit at -3 stability or have no admin points to develop a province. It felt pretty easy as Kongo to just dump all your points into a province, but with japan if you do that you get slammed by massive rebel stacks. What's the trick?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

THE BAR posted:

I wasn't entirely sure how much I needed for the achievement, so I cut off Poland from doing any funny stuff.

E:

Did someone mention border gore??

Gold star for guessing the achievement I was going for.

Georgia on my Mind?

If that's not it, then I am utterly mystified.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's gotta be master of india

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I know tiny vassal Portugal is gonna ruin this someday, but I wonder how many years it'll take for colonialism to pop.

Vassals don't take exploration, so if you grabbed them quick enough they very well might not be the one who finally ruins it.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I am planning on buying this game soon what dlc's should I get with it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So how do you keep up with tech as a japan minor? I'm trying to spawn Renaissance, but because of all the stab events it's either sit at -3 stability or have no admin points to develop a province. It felt pretty easy as Kongo to just dump all your points into a province, but with japan if you do that you get slammed by massive rebel stacks. What's the trick?

You don't need to seed an institution to keep up with tech, since everyone around you will have the exact same penalty. Seeding an institution when you're not the dominant power in the region actually puts you at a huge disadvantage, because you spend a ton of monarch points, and then all your neighbors get the institution for free when it spreads to them.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't need to seed an institution to keep up with tech, since everyone around you will have the exact same penalty. Seeding an institution when you're not the dominant power in the region actually puts you at a huge disadvantage, because you spend a ton of monarch points, and then all your neighbors get the institution for free when it spreads to them.

I guess there's a balance somewhere? I avoided keeping up with tech the last time I played a japan country, but ended up some insane number of techs behind ming to where I could never catch up. Like I was sitting at ~1200 mana to level, with ming at least 6 tiers above.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I guess there's a balance somewhere? I avoided keeping up with tech the last time I played a japan country, but ended up some insane number of techs behind ming to where I could never catch up. Like I was sitting at ~1200 mana to level, with ming at least 6 tiers above.

Ming are going to be ahead of you anyway, since they'll get the institution from you regardless, and they tech up really fast. It shouldn't matter anyway since it'll be a while before you can put them in their place anyway. It's still probably worth it to seed the institution, just try to do it with mostly admin and diplo points since falling behind in mil tech is the only one that can really hurt you against everyone else.

One thing that's helpful for me is to just say "To hell with my monarch points!" and just spend them all at once without thinking about it. It's probably going to pay off, and if it doesn't, it won't hurt you as much as you'd think anyway. You also have to remember that you'll get a mega-province out of it, which is actually really helpful.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

reignonyourparade posted:

Vassals don't take exploration, so if you grabbed them quick enough they very well might not be the one who finally ruins it.

I am pretty sure I had vassals like Brittany pick exploration before, do you have any confirmation for this?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Ming are going to be ahead of you anyway, since they'll get the institution from you regardless, and they tech up really fast. It shouldn't matter anyway since it'll be a while before you can put them in their place anyway. It's still probably worth it to seed the institution, just try to do it with mostly admin and diplo points since falling behind in mil tech is the only one that can really hurt you against everyone else.

One thing that's helpful for me is to just say "To hell with my monarch points!" and just spend them all at once without thinking about it. It's probably going to pay off, and if it doesn't, it won't hurt you as much as you'd think anyway. You also have to remember that you'll get a mega-province out of it, which is actually really helpful.

Yeah I've got 1 mega province off Renaissance which is dope. I'm at the point where I have all of japan, as Date, should I form Japan? I hear it's better not to because then you can have your own with limit vassal swarm?

The one problem is that everyone is a Ming trib so can't attack anyone...if I make myself a tributary, can I still have infinite vassals of my own?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tythas posted:

all of them

common sense, art of war, and rights of man otherwise

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, eventually you're going to want to seed, but not while you're still a dinky daimyo. It all comes down to priorities, and your first priority as a daimyo is getting beefy and beating up your neighbors. Focus on MIL points for tech, and spend ADM and DIP on development when you can spare it. Definitely don't spend ADM to develop when you're at negative stability, you don't need to seed it that quickly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

oddium posted:

it's gotta be master of india

Bingo. Denmark hasn't got a single land warfare or trading NI, so I figured them a perfect match!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yeah I've got 1 mega province off Renaissance which is dope. I'm at the point where I have all of japan, as Date, should I form Japan? I hear it's better not to because then you can have your own with limit vassal swarm?

The one problem is that everyone is a Ming trib so can't attack anyone...if I make myself a tributary, can I still have infinite vassals of my own?

Yes, the daimyo mechanics stay the same, even if you're a tributary. And you're probably going to be a tributary for a while (it's the most annoying part of a Japanese campaign, imo). Definitely don't form Japan though. If nothing else, you get to consistently grab free generals from your vassal swarm that are almost guaranteed to have at least one really good one lying around, so no more RNG rolling you exclusively 1/0/5/0. Also, make sure to force Sepuku at every possible opportunity, it really takes the edge off after being forced to give Ming a dozen monarch points every year.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It would be nice if forming Japan wasn't one of those trap decisions like forming the HRE

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tythas posted:

I would wait for a sale with most of them unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on dlc. Or buy one of the bundle versions I guess.

I would say "Art of War", "Common Sense" & "Rights of Man" are the essential ones. They all add some really nice core features to all nations.
"Wealth of Nations", "The Cossacks", "El Dorado" & "Mandate of Heaven", all have some good features that makes them worth getting in my opinion, except Mandate of Heaven atm, it supposedly makes Ming completely overpowered to the point that it becomes unfun to play in east Asia ( I don't own it, so I don't know how true it is).

"Conquest of Paradise" get it if you want to play native Americans or have a random new world instead of the Americas. Personally I haven't used either of the features it add.
"Mare Nostrum" adds a couple of okay features, among them Condottieri, so it's an okay dlc to get eventually.
"Res Publica" get it if you want to play the dutch republic or other republics.
"Third Rome" want to be even more powerful as Russia, then this is the dlc for you. Also adds some new features for other orthodox countries. Again one of the dlc's I've skipped for now.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 21, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

I am pretty sure I had vassals like Brittany pick exploration before, do you have any confirmation for this?

Well the wiki COULD be out of date but it is here. However my understanding is that if you RELEASE a vassal they start with whatever idea groups they're set to take in their history files up to their admin tech, that might be what you've been seeing?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That is well possible, I usually release those nations as vassals from a single province instead of force vassalizing, gives more AE but they start with my techs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wrapping up my Sunset Invasion game. All I have to do is finish annexing my vassal Holland and it's mine. If I keep going I can definitely take England and France before 1821.

Aztecs are kind of ridiculous once they get going. They get to keep all their religious reforms, and they get some really nice permanent modifiers too.

I think I went a little overboard on military ideas. It made beating up France and the Ottomans really easy, but I wound up spending way too much effort on suppressing rebels because I didn't have religious or humanist ideas.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you integrate vassal in MEIOU

How do you even play MEIOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Open your court menu and go into vassal interactions, I think. It's been a few months since I've touched the mod and I don't know what's changed.

Phi230 posted:

:shrug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In 500 hours I've never done a game as a colonizer where I just completely ignored the Americas and concentrated on Africa/the East Indies. Holy poo poo my Portugal is just printing cash by hoovering up all that trade, especially after I started developing my Indonesian provinces. Really tempted to take plutocratic administration and become a Merchant Republic just to get even more money, but my current heir is 6/5/6 and I don't wanna gently caress that up :ohdear:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Republics don't scale well if you get bigger, if you have more than 20 provinces in states you pay -0.1 rt per year per province above that limit. On average your rulers will also have less points than if you were a monarchy.
Might be worth it to pick up Plutocratic ideas tough, then just wait for the even that puts you back into a monarchy. Plutocratic ideas are about the best and probably only good thing Republics have left in this game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tahirovic posted:

Republics don't scale well if you get bigger, if you have more than 20 provinces in states you pay -0.1 rt per year per province above that limit. On average your rulers will also have less points than if you were a monarchy.
Might be worth it to pick up Plutocratic ideas tough, then just wait for the even that puts you back into a monarchy. Plutocratic ideas are about the best and probably only good thing Republics have left in this game.

The vast majority of my provinces are in trade companies. The only states I have are in Portugal proper.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Do you put everything in Asia in a trade company? I'm trying to judge if that is the way to go, or keep some out/make states.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Phi230 posted:

Last I played MEIOU when 2.0 was releasing, your vassals had an "integration timer" that you could see by triggering the vassal interaction decision-event, I think? When that timer ended you could begin annexing your vassal the old fashioned way. I cannot imagine that's changed since they've had more important stuff to work on with the pop/economy system, but they're also crazy so maybe they did.

quote:

MEIOU is a state of mind

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rapner posted:

Do you put everything in Asia in a trade company? I'm trying to judge if that is the way to go, or keep some out/make states.

Every province that I own that can be put into a trade company has been. I was a bit dumb and got too excited about expansion at some point around 100 years ago, taking some inland provinces in Africa (not realizing that they don't belong to a trade company region), but aside from that everything outside Portugal is in a TC.

Now that I've colonized pretty much everything I want to colonize, I'm occasionally removing provinces one at a time from the TC long enough to convert them to Catholicism, then putting them back in the TC and starting to dump monarchmana into their development.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rapner posted:

If you can get right religion and accepted cultures, I think high-development states overseas make sense. I like to conquer Java and promote Javanese culture so I can have a few rich states there.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am not actually sure, is it still possible to move your capital to an other continent? Might be easy to move your capital there for a bit, also saves 300 days travel time for colonists.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

I am not actually sure, is it still possible to move your capital to an other continent? Might be easy to move your capital there for a bit, also saves 300 days travel time for colonists.

You can move it as long as it's not to the new world, but if your capital is in a trade company region, you can't have trade companies.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Got a newbie question re: exploring/colonizing.

So I'm still playing my Pomerania game on weekends. I recently won a war against Denmark where I was able to get Iceland from their junior partner Norway. Shortly afterward I took Exploration and colonized Greenland while I sent a conquistador to explore Canada.

While Greenland finished colonizing, I started to see blue (French) territory showing up in the lands I had explored, specifically Newfoundland. So my question is, if I had never uncovered those territories, could I have waited until Greenland was done colonizing to uncover them and then settle them right away? Or was it chance that France started colonizing Newfoundland a few years after I had uncovered it with a conquistador, and they would have done it whether I had uncovered it myself or not? I guess I'm not sure how that stuff starts to appear to foreign nations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So I'm still playing my Pomerania game on weekends. I recently won a war against Denmark where I was able to get Iceland from their junior partner Norway. Shortly afterward I took Exploration and colonized Greenland while I sent a conquistador to explore Canada.

While Greenland finished colonizing, I started to see blue (French) territory showing up in the lands I had explored, specifically Newfoundland. So my question is, if I had never uncovered those territories, could I have waited until Greenland was done colonizing to uncover them and then settle them right away? Or was it chance that France started colonizing Newfoundland a few years after I had uncovered it with a conquistador, and they would have done it whether I had uncovered it myself or not? I guess I'm not sure how that stuff starts to appear to foreign nations.

They can only see what they've explored, and you can only see what you've explored. For example, Spain/Portugal have probably long since discovered South and Central America, yet it's probably still hidden to you.

I think it automatically spreads at some point way in the future, but I've never quite understood how that worked.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Each country has their own fog of war, so unless you shared your maps with France they had to uncover it themselves. Also Newfoundland is one of the two main bottlenecks for colonizing, the other being Brazil.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

AnoHito posted:

They can only see what they've explored, and you can only see what you've explored. For example, Spain/Portugal have probably long since discovered South and Central America, yet it's probably still hidden to you.

I think it automatically spreads at some point way in the future, but I've never quite understood how that worked.

Edit: never mind, it's a little more complicated. From the EU4 wiki (https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Colonization#Discovery):

Discovery of individual provinces will occur based on contact with other nations. In general, a province will be revealed to a country if:

• The country in question explored any adjacent province at least 25 years ago
  • Any country, that owns provinces undiscovered by the original country, discovered the capital province of the original country at least 30 years ago.
  • Any neighboring country, in the same culture or religious group as the original country, explored a province at least 75 years ago.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 23, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Does anyone know why the nations who you can rival immediately varies each time you start?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

Does anyone know why the nations who you can rival immediately varies each time you start?

It's possible for some countries to rival you even if you can't rival them. And if they do, you can rival them back even if you can't normally do so. Rival candidacy rules are pretty arcane and weird.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah smaller nations can rival larger ones if the small one has cores owned by the larger one (example: Byzantium rivalling the Ottomans). There are other obscure factors too, like owning cultures and religion, I think.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
If you form the Roman Empire, do you still receive events for your previous nation? I couldn't find a list of events for Rome on the EU wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Playing Kutai, just backstabbed Sunda to take most of Majaphait. Unsure if vassalizing brunei is preferable to just taking them overl because they don't help for poo poo even when loyalty is under 50% with invading islands or even controlling water.

• Locked thread