Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChaseSP posted:

Playing Kutai, just backstabbed Sunda to take most of Majaphait. Unsure if vassalizing brunei is preferable to just taking them overl because they don't help for poo poo even when loyalty is under 50% with invading islands or even controlling water.
Brunei is same culture but different religion - I would just annex them and leverage a Missionary advisor and state edicts to convert the lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Brunei is same culture but different religion - I would just annex them and leverage a Missionary advisor and state edicts to convert the lands.

I don't actually see edicts as an option is there a DLX I'm missing out on? Thought I had all the important ones.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Mandate of Heaven has edicts. It's on the area tab in the province window.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
People said they were interested in my Sikh ironman run. You might notice some small differences from live version since me and Trin Tragula gave Sikh like an hour of love and improved some small nit picks.

Religion just spawned and I've converted to the one true faith. Waheguru, Hail the Creator, the Eternal!

The foul Bahmanid to the south, the Lodi of Delhi to the north, the Khalji of Malwa to the east. However the followers of Guru Nanak do not fear the Muslim oppressors of India. We fall at thy feet Waheguru, bring us victory!

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 23, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Koramei posted:

Mandate of Heaven has edicts. It's on the area tab in the province window.

Yeah alright I don't have Mandate. Opinions here seem pretty low of it so I don't really plan to.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I assume you've made the original spawn event cover more than just 1 province - it will be nice to see some more Sikh provinces knocking around, I hope they're good at resisting being converted.

I'm not expecting anything amazing but I hope that the guru modifiers have been beefed up a bit in order to compare with all of the new mechanics Hindus and now Muslims get. And that the guru modifiers don't just eventually go away entirely because they only last 50 years (IIRC)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The guru modifiers are already permanent, they just replace each other when the next one spawns. The last one sucks rear end though since it used to only give you +1 stability and not a modifier.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's not a permanent +1? Being unable to drop into -3 might be nice. :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No it is just a single use +1, or if you are at 3 stability, some adm.... Otherwise the other modifiers the gurus give are super good, several of them give 5% discipline + something more. Given that Sikh start with 10% morale and 10% mil tech cost. They are pretty strong.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Eldred posted:

Edit: never mind, it's a little more complicated. From the EU4 wiki (https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Colonization#Discovery):

Discovery of individual provinces will occur based on contact with other nations. In general, a province will be revealed to a country if:

• The country in question explored any adjacent province at least 25 years ago
  • Any country, that owns provinces undiscovered by the original country, discovered the capital province of the original country at least 30 years ago.
  • Any neighboring country, in the same culture or religious group as the original country, explored a province at least 75 years ago.

Okay, so based on point#2, France must have discovered it before I did, and just happened to start colonizing it a little while after I had discovered it. And if I had never sent a conquistador in the first place, French Newfoundland would have appeared to me 30 years after it was founded. It sounds like not even save-scumming will get me around this. But it's still my first game so I'm content to live and learn.

And it looks like I may have reached the end of my rope on this game anyway. Starting around 1608, Bohemia never fails to declare war on me to conquer Sachsen. Which brings about some sort of proto Great War:

Bohemia (30k)
Poland (40k)
Lithuania (45k)
some western OPMs in the HRE

vs.

Pomerania (me) (33k)
Russia (??? I usually only see a 25k stack lazing around Lithuania's border, though the ledger says they have more)
Austria (45k, usually less)
Hungary and Bosnia (10k combined)
a handful of central and northern OPMs

Poland and Lithuania always manage to trounce everyone, no matter how many times I reload. I suppose I could pre-empt it all and buy a poo poo-ton of mercenaries in 1605 or something. Next game I'll probably go Portugal to explore the colony features a little earlier and more in depth. Fun game overall--just wish I had more time to play it!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

People said they were interested in my Sikh ironman run. You might notice some small differences from live version since me and Trin Tragula gave Sikh like an hour of love and improved some small nit picks.
This is awesome.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Trying to finish my Bavaria->Germany ironman game before the next patch. I'm making progress - clogged all the Prussian guns with Bavarian guts over and over and now I just need Hamburg, Dresden, Berlin, and Rostock.

Slight problem: I keep getting warned by the Ottomans From Hell. Also France just dropped our alliance and rivaled me. It's gonna be a long 20 years.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know a loving thing what's going on in MEIOU and Taxes but by god the map is what is keeping me "playing" this monster

apparently there are pops? Why the hell does it take 500 years to integrate a vassal

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Alikchi posted:

Trying to finish my Bavaria->Germany ironman game before the next patch. I'm making progress - clogged all the Prussian guns with Bavarian guts over and over and now I just need Hamburg, Dresden, Berlin, and Rostock.

Slight problem: I keep getting warned by the Ottomans From Hell. Also France just dropped our alliance and rivaled me. It's gonna be a long 20 years.

:stare:

I've never seen the ottomans get that bad. It's eaten Russia, Poland, Lithuania, east Africa...It's gone down almost every route of expansion the Ottomans usually pursue, save for Persia. And it's got a solid chunk of that too.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Phi230 posted:

I don't know a loving thing what's going on in MEIOU and Taxes but by god the map is what is keeping me "playing" this monster

apparently there are pops? Why the hell does it take 500 years to integrate a vassal

I saw someone describe V2 as "a great game, but not a good game". That just about sums up MEIOU too. Pops system is the best thing about it, tbh. Anyway, increasing your centralisation is by far and away the best way of increasing vassal annexation speed. There's a policy to increase it every month

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Yes, the daimyo mechanics stay the same, even if you're a tributary. And you're probably going to be a tributary for a while (it's the most annoying part of a Japanese campaign, imo). Definitely don't form Japan though. If nothing else, you get to consistently grab free generals from your vassal swarm that are almost guaranteed to have at least one really good one lying around, so no more RNG rolling you exclusively 1/0/5/0. Also, make sure to force Sepuku at every possible opportunity, it really takes the edge off after being forced to give Ming a dozen monarch points every year.

Unfortunately Ming rivaled me so I can't be their trib. Not really sure what to do now; I have all of Japan and am still Date, but there's nowhere to expand except for colonizing which I don't want to do because I did that last time as Shimazu. Just speed 5 and play tall until Ming chills out and I can become a tributary?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Unfortunately Ming rivaled me so I can't be their trib. Not really sure what to do now; I have all of Japan and am still Date, but there's nowhere to expand except for colonizing which I don't want to do because I did that last time as Shimazu. Just speed 5 and play tall until Ming chills out and I can become a tributary?

If you start a war (or provoke them into one) you can usually get them to accept it as a surrender.

Otherwise you'll probably be stuck colonizing since the Ming don't usually change very much at all and are probably just going to keep you rivaled. They might change to rivaling a European if/when they show up, but that's going to be a while...

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Beating Ming as Japan means controlling the seas. If they can't reach your home islands anything you do that pisses them off will never matter. Pirate the hell out of the Beijing node, colonize or no-cb your way into the spice islands, and build an economic base from there. One you've established naval dominance you can white peace them out of any war by just by blockading ports and sending in mercenaries to pillage their under-defended countryside while waiting for their war exhaustion and length of war to tick up. Ming sometimes attacks Korea, use that as a free shot to take the southern peninsula and set up a wall of forts in the mountains.

This is a lot easier to do with the extra income you get from colonizing the Philippines. If you're just trying to solo Ming without getting that economic base, you're going to have a hard time.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 24, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

:stare:

I've never seen the ottomans get that bad. It's eaten Russia, Poland, Lithuania, east Africa...It's gone down almost every route of expansion the Ottomans usually pursue, save for Persia. And it's got a solid chunk of that too.

Looks like the average 1600s Ottomans to me. If they ever get going, they'll keep on going until the player intervenes.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Tahirovic posted:

Looks like the average 1600s Ottomans to me. If they ever get going, they'll keep on going until the player intervenes.

I played a Dutch game and the Ottoman Empire stretched from Libya and Ethiopia to Urals and through Persia. They even colonized some of the islands in the East Indies. It was kinda horrible.

Also Balkans was Ragusa.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/europa-universalis-4-cradle-of-civilization-feature-breakdown.1051810/

quote:

STOCKHOLM - 24 October 2017 - Cradle of Civilization, the newest expansion to Europa Universalis IV, will be available to all wannabe conquerors on November 16, 2017. In less than a month all you million-plus explorers, traders and conquerors that make up the Europa Universalis community will see deeper gameplay and more detailed modeling of the tumultuous Middle East and Central Asia.

quote:

Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization will be available for the suggested retail price of $19.99

It looks pretty good to be honest, haven't played the game in like a year and I'm definitely going to want to start again with the free update if nothing else.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

haha that video by Jake is amazing

I'm interested to see where he takes the game now, this expansion looks really neat to me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I love tyhe way he says "Islam :allears:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The only paid feature that tempts me is Trade Policies. I'll wait to see how people take to Professionalism, since that's the feature that I really balk at.

I do like the free stuff--I believe the new trade goods are part of the free update?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only thing that could make me more excited than AI economy improvements is confirming that they're looking at tributaries / EoC mechanics. The free content for this patch so far is really exciting, the paid stuff not so much.

So any guesses as to what the huge secret 1.23 change they haven't announced yet is?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I do like the free stuff--I believe the new trade goods are part of the free update?

Free content includes significant map improvements in the middle east, new trade goods, and AI improvements.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 24, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tech groups now apply their old tech penalty bonus to institution embracement. also westernization is back, cost and length scales with how many institutions are embraced

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

So any guesses as to what the huge secret 1.23 change they haven't announced yet is?

If it's not in their advertising video it can't be that huge. :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

tech groups now apply their old tech penalty bonus to institution embracement. also westernization is back, cost and length scales with how many institutions are embraced
Huh?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh that's my guess for any 1.23 secret

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I love tyhe way he says "Islam :allears:

COME ON AND JAM

AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

COME ON AND JAM

AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

:five:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

COME ON AND JAM

AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

new thread title needed imo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zikan posted:

new thread title needed imo

:agreed:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

The only thing that could make me more excited than AI economy improvements is confirming that they're looking at tributaries / EoC mechanics. The free content for this patch so far is really exciting, the paid stuff not so much.

Free content includes significant map improvements in the middle east, new trade goods, and AI improvements.

Yep, makes the decision to not buy it really easy imo. I can get a better experience getting the Hormuz achievement without really feeling I miss out on anything for not giving them money this time around.

Don't think we will see any AI/EoC/Ming fixes until the patch notes are out. But at this point I wouldn't get your hopes up, they've been too quiet about it, so it doesn't look like they think it's a problem the optimal Asia/middle east strategy is to become a tributary asap.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will Muslims be able to use their special trade policy to convert Christians?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No religious propagation is only for trade company regions

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I only now noticed there is a ruler trait that makes the AI want to have pretty borders. :allears:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing as Bohemia, and I kinda accidentally became the emperor. I was planning on becoming Protestant, but will the game let me?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Playing as Bohemia, and I kinda accidentally became the emperor. I was planning on becoming Protestant, but will the game let me?

I think you still can but you lose the emperorship when you convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Actually I think the game prevents you from converting while you are emperor and you haven't had the Peace of Westphalia.
Not a 100% sure though

• Locked thread