Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I haven't been able to get the mission to enforce England's PU over France, despite France being shorn of so much land they're hilarously weak. I own all their coastal land, Champage was forced released by Provence of all countries, then promptly swallowed by Burgundy. They've got 10 infantry and 1 cavalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010
Is there a bug associated with autonomy when releasing nations? Bohemia annexed Silesia and later on was forced to release it. Silesia capital province had 0 autonomy and its two other provinces where at 75%.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Vaxan posted:

Is there a bug associated with autonomy when releasing nations? Bohemia annexed Silesia and later on was forced to release it. Silesia capital province had 0 autonomy and its two other provinces where at 75%.

Capitals always have 0% autonomy, and the other provinces kept the 75% they were set to after annexation

reL
May 20, 2007
I mean, I know The Ottomans are easymode, but it's ~1550 and I'm on par with tech, have egypt, levant, balkans, and I"m knocking on Austria's door. All cored, no revolt issues, almost 3 idea trees complete... and I've also invested a decent amount in development due to having so many MP and not wanting to take techs too early.

I don't get what the fuss is about. I can see the issue for Muslim/Asian/American nations, but so far as a still-Ottoman-group Ottomans I'd say I'm doing better than I was playing this same campaign a week ago.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Boy, it's great that I'm not able to launch the game after I bought the DLC. I had really believed Paradox was past their gamebreaking bugs phase, too.

And yes, unable to launch a game is, uh, gamebreaking.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Converted to Protestant as Milan, and after converting all my provinces I'm stuck at 90% Religious Unity. No idea why. Also lost a battle to rebels and my troops nearly ran all the way to Moscow (from Brescia). I don't even know, maybe they wanted to get some cheap vodka???

Overall I haven't really felt like anything costs too much. I'm always ahead in tech and just tossing extra points to improve provinces. I think it's mostly because North Italian provinces are so rich and Ambrosian Republic is practically the best government type other that Dutch. Also for a fun new mechanic, you get to vassalize the pope and then force him to change religion.

One thing with the fort system: once you hit late game and make more money than god, is there really anything stopping you from just covering everything in forts with full defensive and the attrition policy? Forts are pretty cheap. I'm only in the early 1500s and if I really wanted to, I could cover my Milan completely in forts and still make money.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Beamed posted:

Boy, it's great that I'm not able to launch the game after I bought the DLC. I had really believed Paradox was past their gamebreaking bugs phase, too.

Delete your mods folder and unsubscribe any mods which havn't been updated post-1.12 patch. That'll get you able to play again, at least.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

reL posted:

I mean, I know The Ottomans are easymode, but it's ~1550 and I'm on par with tech, have egypt, levant, balkans, and I"m knocking on Austria's door. All cored, no revolt issues, almost 3 idea trees complete... and I've also invested a decent amount in development due to having so many MP and not wanting to take techs too early.

I don't get what the fuss is about. I can see the issue for Muslim/Asian/American nations, but so far as a still-Ottoman-group Ottomans I'd say I'm doing better than I was playing this same campaign a week ago.

This is actually impossible. MP costs were increased for annexing, coring, and development was added. There's no way you're further ahead -- unless you got better kings.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Since the 0/0/0 Henry that you start out with every single monarch of my england game has been a queen. At one point I got a male heir but after 30 years he died and 5ish years later I get a female heir and the naming event to go with it. What are the odds.

Also I see the leagues war is still being silly

I didn't participate in any HRE drama or the leagues war but here I am, the emperor now. You see I thought with me and my french bulldog we would bully Spain and then go take over the asia trade. But apparently destiny wanted me to be a continental power so I will perform the best I can with my god given title. So alright how is the HRE looking right now

Yikes this is going to take more than a little spit to fix.

Heil Britannia Heil Kaiserin Jane Lancaster the First :britain:

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 11, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good to see that England no longer gets beat half to death by France and becomes completely irrelevant for the rest of the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Good to see that England no longer gets beat half to death by France and becomes completely irrelevant for the rest of the game.

Now it's the other way around!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Zurai posted:

Delete your mods folder and unsubscribe any mods which havn't been updated post-1.12 patch. That'll get you able to play again, at least.

Thanks, man.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Beamed posted:

Thanks, man.

No problem. I beat my head up against that same problem for a while yesterday.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Tercio posted:

Looks like the Johan symbiote found a new host body.

I've trained him well!

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Funky Valentine posted:

A development discount for everyone who isn't in Europe could work to make it at all worthwhile for the rest of the world.

Especially the New World.

Europe is supposed to become the mote developer area through the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yes, I suppose Europe being overpowered previously wasn't enough. Let's give them more advantages. Gameplay should not be more important than our Eurocentric vision of the world :v:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can someone explain how Mercantilism works and where I can check how much of it I have? I can't find any tooltip that says anything about it.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Don't try to siege a mountain fortress.

Seriously, don't do it. :suicide:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bold Robot posted:

Can someone explain how Mercantilism works and where I can check how much of it I have? I can't find any tooltip that says anything about it.

It's under trade tab somewhere, its basically a multiplier on province trade power

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

StashAugustine posted:

It's under trade tab somewhere, its basically a multiplier on province trade power

Thanks.

Along similar lines, what's the strategy on when to place a colony into your trade company or not?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghetto Prince posted:

Don't try to siege a mountain fortress.

Seriously, don't do it. :suicide:

Tirol returns to being the great nuclear fallout shelter it was before terrain got less spergy.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

I promised myself not to get the currently bugged One Family to Rule them all achievement, and first thing that happens in my Portugal game is the heir dies, putting me in an interregnum. :bang:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I know it's super cheap but whenever there's an exploit like that I don't have any qualms about getting the achievements; you still had to be paying attention at the right time to get them.

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks.

Along similar lines, what's the strategy on when to place a colony into your trade company or not?

always

similarly, i can't think of a popup where i won't go for the mercantalism option over anything else. it's a permanent modifier that can really add up.

e: occasionally trade companies will give you missions like "conquer x province before this date or else" but you can just ignore them without much penalty. that's about the only downside there is.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 11, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I usually just jam enough provinces into my TC for it to give me a merchant then move on to a different area.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Now it's the other way around!

Now that I think about it, I wonder why England was such a non factor in EU4. I remember very clearly that they were a huge menace in EU3 especially if you were playing as Venice or one of the italian states or as someone in the asia minors. Unless France + someone else sink their navy early on, their navy was a true terror of the sea without player intervention. A nation guaranteed by or allied to England was a nation you don't want to gently caress with for at least the first century. In EU4 pre Common sense they just didn't concern themselves with anything going on in Europe except for one or two failed wars with France.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I can't enjoy EU4 anymore. I'm just incredibly bored with it. How good is the goon MP community? I think I need to move beyond SP.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

aeglus posted:

Overall I haven't really felt like anything costs too much. I'm always ahead in tech and just tossing extra points to improve provinces. I think it's mostly because North Italian provinces are so rich and Ambrosian Republic is practically the best government type other that Dutch. Also for a fun new mechanic, you get to vassalize the pope and then force him to change religion.

Why is Ambrosian Republic good? Just wondering for my Milan game

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are all mods out of date?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Average Bear posted:

The election turn around is really short, compared to most republics. This means you can upgrade your rulers by re-electing them all the faster. It costs you republican tradition, but you can get god-presidents pretty quickly.

Also your ruler gets called Captain-General and who wouldn't want to be a Captain-General?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I can't enjoy EU4 anymore. I'm just incredibly bored with it. How good is the goon MP community? I think I need to move beyond SP.

MP is like a whole other game. If you're bored with SP I'd highly recommend it. Most people who do know that it's almost impossible to go back to singleplayer (except when new DLC comes out) after you've gotten a taste of pvp.

The mp thread is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3577057&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#pti5

We'll be starting a new campaign as soon as our current one finishes. We're in the mid 1700's so probably early July. Although we usually need substitute players or people can just observe if they want.

Some random shots of a few battles from last Saturday.

As for the increased MP costs, someone mentioned that they only had 2 ideas unlocked by 1550. I'm around 1550 in my Ceylon game and I have 2 whole groups finished, half of India, a bunch of colonies and I've developed my provinces maybe around 30 times. Points are much tighter now but I don't think it's too bad. My rulers have been mostly bad to average. It's good that blobbing isn't as easy as it was. Anyone having trouble with points should start fighting wars just to humiliate rivals. +3 extra points every month for staying above 50 PP doesn't seem like much but every point helps.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GSD posted:

The election turn around is really short, compared to most republics. This means you can upgrade your rulers by re-electing them all the faster. It costs you republican tradition, but you can get god-presidents pretty quickly.

Also your ruler gets called Captain-General and who wouldn't want to be a Captain-General?

My first Milan game the Ambrosian Republic was founded by a 6-4-6 19 year old.

The other candidates did not win a lot of elections and the republic did not last very long.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Three year electoral terms, +10% Tax, +5% Morale, and -0.05 Autonomy make you into an extremely flexible nation that can excel at both conquest and development.

Fake edit: and yeah, Captain-General is a kickass title.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If you're trying to min-max a custom nation, an Ambrosian republic with your fourth national idea being +.5 RT and a religion with a deity system is the way to go. Once you unlock the tradition bonus you'll have 6-6-6 more often than not.

Even just as Milan, it's worth taking so all your events say "my Captain-General..."

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Started a Saxony campaign. I've blobbed a bit (Magdeburg/Altmark, the two Saxon provinces in Bohemia, Wurzburg) but not too much (it's 1475 and I have no AE). Brandenburg just got wrecked in a war and lost provinces to Mecklenburg and the TO - they have been reduced to 3 disconnected provinces on my northern border. It seems like "vassalize Brandenburg, then beat their cores back out of Mecklenburg and TO" is the logical strategy, but if I as an Elector vassalize another Elector will that piss off everybody? Right now I've got 2-3 other Electors backing me, but the Emperor is young. What if I eat Brandenburg and spit them back out, allowing Austria to pick a new Elector (at the cost of higher AE presumably)?

Also, is there a cost/benefit to calling an ally into a war when it's not strictly necessary? Does answering my CTA make an ally more likely to move from Friendly to Defensive?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Yeah basically the other extra stuff is nice but CAPTAIN-GENERAL is just awesome.

I only played a couple games of EU4 MP but it is so much better that you'll have a hard time going back. I couldn't do it often because of time zones and such, but my favorite EU4 moment ever is still when I played as Austria and the other goons were France, someone in Italy, and Teutonic Order. Might have been another person but I forget. I ended up getting two really lucky inheritances and I spent a lot of time and effort propping up the guy in Italy during his wars, saving his rear end at least a couple times with nothing but an IOU card. Went into France to help with some nasty rebellions. Teutonic Order guy turned into (P)Russia and blocked my way to expand east. So I ended up asking both Italy and France if it came to blows would they help out. Moved all my armies 2 provinces away from the Prussian border so that he wouldn't see them and asked him if we could trade provinces so I could expand east, and we'd keep everything north of such and such as his and south would be mine. He said the East belongs to Mother Prussia and I declared war. It was still pretty early but after that he lost since I didn't mind eating a ton of attrition when France and Italy were doing some amphibious landings away from his armies.

You do have to get used to playing at a slower speed without pausing all the time. During wars people accept you need to pause after major battles and such. Just being able to make off the book deals makes it so much better. Diplomacy suddenly matters a lot. Also a good way to make people angry. You tend to never lose in SP, but MP you can get outright destroyed and then make a comeback once the other players decide you need to be powerful again to balance the other guy that suddenly has a lot more.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm tempted to get back into EU4 and pick up some DLC, but not all of it appeals to me. If I pick up some random combination like Res Publica, Art of War, and Common Sense, will there be any problems from missing the others? I'm guessing no, but can't hurt to double-check before I spend the money on it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Beamed posted:

Please stop trolling Wiz.

On a serious note, have you tried disabling any mods or deleting your My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis 4 folder? Back them up just in case.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jackson Taus posted:

if I ... vassalize an ... Elector will that piss off everybody?

Yes. There's a -25 or -50 penalty to other electors voting for you, for each elector you have vassalized. If you have 1 electoral vassal it's a big problem, if you have 4, much less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

Brandenburg (perpetual emperor since 1500 or so) managed to pass the first reform in my game. They haven't gotten further than that, but it's still pretty early.

• Locked thread