Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

the enemy fort markers that pop up during wartime make figuring out which 4 or 5 HRE minors are attacking me a lot easier. Really happy about that. Also playing as Teutonic Order. The building changes are a lot of fun. Nice to feel like I'm somewhat able to grow even when I'm not really able to take any provinces from anyone around me.

I also really like the mission changes. They're generally more worthwhile and interesting. I used to just stop doing them after awhile. Overall the game feels more difficult and meaningful, but I personally find blobbing really boring once you achieve regional dominance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

anyone else have their hotkeys stop working? everything was working fine yesterday. nothing works on the keyboard except the arrow keys.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

anyone else have a bug where they can't left-click to select provinces? tried to play a game even though the hotkeys don't work; found this bug too. did make me find out you can right-click provinces to go directly to the diplomacy window, though.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Elman posted:

I get it occasionally and I just fix it by alt+tabbing to desktop and back into the game.

Hey wow that worked. It happens for me with every launch and this clears it up. When I start the game it doesn't open as the active window anymore for some reason; I have to alt-tab over to get it to load. Must be what messes it up initially and then another alt-tab fixes it. Thanks!

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

does anyone have some advice for hordes? I tried both Golden Horde and Uzbek. I keep getting stuck in really frustrating and un-fun cycles of rebel squashing that suck up all my manpower so I can't wage war to get territory to raze, which creates unrest and makes more rebels to squash, etc. Uzbek especially was annoying because of the huge travel times to get anywhere so the rebels keep adding separatism and stuff to my provinces. I also can't make enough money to field anything close to my force limit and I end up taking out loans over and over which just seems to work against me in the long run. I end up spending a lot of military points on lowering rebel progress because it just gets so frustrating.

With Golden Horde I was able to vassalize Crimea and eat half of Nogai and Kazan, but just as I was stabilizing from that Muscovy invades me. I'm a tech behind, I have to take out a few hundred in loans to field enough mercs to match them and I still get wiped easily, even with Uzbek's 15 stacks helping out. I can't get Ottomans to ally me no matter what I do either.

With Uzbek I can knock out Nogai and Kazan easily, and eat most of Oirat, but after that I'm stuck running around for ages fighting rebels. My khan died without an adult heir and that knocked my unity down to 40 or so. I allied Yarkand (was this a mistake?) meaning Timurids are my only choice for lands to raze. I could probably take them at this point, they've gotten wrecked by rebels too, but I'm just too broke and have no manpower.

What am I doing wrong?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

You bumping autonomy? I'm playing as Mongolia and not having any issues at all. You do have to keep a close eye on where the separatists are at, and be ready for when they're going to revolt though.

hey, no, i wasn't. thanks for this. i started over with Uzbek, making sure to do this on everything i conquer now. much much smoother. it also lets me handle the overextension from keeping stuff uncored to raze. i also made sure to grab that gold province from kazan, i didn't see it before. really helps a ton.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

is there a way to get rid of estates entirely? The 40% influence from cities and +20% influence event meant my tribes were well over 80% influence, and I would have had to remove almost all their land to end the disaster. So I said gently caress it and did that and decided to just take everything from then and see what happens. Every province i removed after a certain point made a 7 stack pop up, which was easy enough to deal with, and then after removing the last one I got a -20 opinion malus with my neighbors for "liberalising" the country. But the estate still existed in my tab. Is it just not possible to opt out?

I ended up forming Bukhara anyway because I wanted to see the Muslim estates. A lot more interesting to juggle four factions. Much better bonuses too.

I really like this expansion a lot. I like turtling sometimes and just focusing on internal stuff and the estates give you something to do between wars. The diplomacy changes are interesting as well and make long-term alliances more rewarding. It's a good mix of interesting mechanics that also give some more flavor.

shallowj fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 5, 2015

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

so i definitely just realized that the loyalty bonuses you get from events are permanent, affecting estates' base loyalty, and not time-based which has made estates a little bit easier for me. still difficult to keep influence down sometimes, but its easier when i dont have to use the loyalty actions which often increase influence at the same time to keep them happy.

playing a game as Mamluks and it's a lot of fun. vassalized AQ and fed them those two little nations next to them, dulkakid or whatever, to keep ottomans from bordering me while i went off conquering the gulf peninsula and the western coast of the red sea. this is my first game being really pushy with aggressive expansion. i always used to play it safe and i'm realizing now how much that's slowed me down. the "may coalition you" indicator is still only a "may". even ottomans didn't coalition me at -60 AE after i vassalized AQ and fed them that strip over 4 years or so. what modifiers affect the willingness to coalition?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

just managed my first ever vassal swarm game as Austria. Always gotten really frustrated with the constant internal warring to pop out HRE princes that I give up. The reform that disables internal HRE wars was so relaxing oh my god. Could finally stop beating up my squabbling children and go smash up Poland and Ottomans. Managed to revoke the privilegia by 1645. League wars never happened, only 3 reform centers popped up in HRE and I destroyed them by 1590~, converted everyone back thru forcing religion by like 1620 or so except Lubeck and Brandenburg. Very fun. Not sure what to play next.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

does anyone have advice for keeping colonial nations loyal with this agitate for liberty thing? i'm doing a morocco run, it's 1621 and i'm very close to forming al-andalus. 3 of my 5 colonial nations are totally loyal, but mexico and west indies are both pushing 99%: 25% tariffs, 25% agitate for liberty, and well over 55% for the relative strength modifier. obviously this last one is my biggest problem but i can't figure out how it's calculated - force limit comparisons? actual regiments mustered? do navies factor in? should i start building those force limit buildings to try and bring this back down? i started annoying both of them on purpose to get them to rebel but neither country will actually declare war and let me stomp them.

what happens if i release them? i assume we will get a truce for a while - could i DOW them after and try and get them back into submission? is there something i'm missing to get them to like me more? maxed relations would bring me down to say 75-80% desire for independence with them, and i can't just keep burning my prestige placating them.

also, how can I make money as morocco? i'm usually running a +4-6 ducats surplus but i need more. should i switch my home node over to sevilla? my share of trade power there is roughly 15-18% - i collect maybe 7 or 8 a month off of a total of 30, using a merchant. i have to go beat up the new world OPMs every few years to steal their hundreds of ducats from them to actually fund new armies/fleets.

i also did a byzantium game and it was really easy. is this a new change? i just allied hungary and wallachia and when Ottos DOWed me we had no problems at all defeating each of their 20 stacks in the field.

edit: i took exploration/economic/quality/trade/admin ideas, in that order. trade didn't help much; i didn't notice only one node feeds into Safi. maybe I should expand into west africa and take over the gold mines? i put it off to focus on colonizing and forming andalusia.

shallowj fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 22, 2015

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Are any other nations supporting their independence? That gets factored into the relative strength modifier. When CNs ally, it also adds their strength for that calculation.

No one's supporting them, but i think they are allied to each other, which must be it. I did a tedious search through the ledger to find the states with enough espionage ideas to agitate them and it's either Ulm or Croatia. Anything I can try to do to get them to stop infiltrating my colonial nations? Improving relations didn't seem to help - maybe allying the offending nations?

is there a trick to getting my colonial nations to DOW me so I can just crush them? maybe just disband my mercs for a bit then rehire them? i'm allied with Ottos - maybe cancel that alliance for a bit?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

i wish i could use Threaten War to get countries to either stop agitating for liberty/supporting independence or force the issue to a head. I got a Union over France as Netherlands and Portugal won't stop riling them up.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

so the AI doesn't need favors to call me into wars, right? I've had allies call me within two years of forming our alliance. I've been getting really frustrated with allies in general and once I hit a certain point I just stop bothering because all they do is refuse to help me out while calling me in to their own offensive wars. They really only seem useful for defensive reasons, but I guess that's historically accurate.

also, has anyone else had AI change their attitudes immediately after allying them? As Byzantium, I was trying to diplo-vassal Wallachia who would be friendly then turn hostile immediately after I allied and royal-marriaged them, and break the alliance. What's this about?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

so Denmark is pretty easy now with the changes to Scandinavian diplomacy. Not sure when it changed, but Sweden no longer starts as your historical rival and thus basically impossible to keep loyal. It's really easy to preserve the Kalmar Union now. There's an event to sign the Scandinavian Constitution - signing gives you 100 MP in each category and legitimacy, but makes Sweden a historical rival. Tried it once and they immediately DOWed me with Muscovy & England supporting. It's hard to turn down 300 MP but I reloaded and kept them loyal. I also got lucky and Poland DOWed Teutonic Order before getting the union with Lithuania and it seemed that the union never happened - which also meant Poland lost against TO leaving me free to come in and scoop up the Baltic.

I was unsure if I should integrate my subjects or not but I went ahead and did it ASAP bc Denmark has terrible force limits and the Subject AI isn't always the most helpful in war. Had a frustrating couple of decades where I had the 2nd highest development but still had unimpressive force limits and income but once the autonomy ran down I was sitting pretty. By 1600 I have every coastal province in the Baltic, something like 1000~ development and an income of 130 ducats (I took Trade as my 2nd Diplo idea). Not sure what to do next.

I didn't do so hot in the Religious Leagues war - I only had around 90 regiments at that point. We outnumbered the Catholics by 30%, but bc they held almost all the center of the HRE they were able to separate and pick us off while I was stuck trying to siege enough forts that I could move in. In hindsight I should have shipped my troops to Netherlands before launching the war, so I could take out France/Burgundy/Castile before they link up with Austria. Couldn't get a decisive victory - I went Quantity and so my troops just couldn't match in morale to most of my enemies, and eventually even my 100k manpower ran out. Had to sign the Peace of Westphalia (and snagged Lubeck for myself). Fun game aside from trying to convert all my provinces to Protestant and then dealing with that goddamn "Count's Feud" disaster. Really miserable if you don't prepare first by placing a 20 stack in every corner of your empire.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

a very minor UI change I would like would be a "collapse all" button in the diplomacy screen. i hate scrolling thru the whole expanded list so i try to keep it tidy but it can be a pain, especially as diplomacy heavy countries like Austria.

really enjoying the new patch a lot. the estate changes were a little confusing at first. giving out provinces doesn't have any permanent effect now, it seems, since permanently raising the loyalty floor would probably make estates trivial. does it change how quickly they recover loyalty? it's hard to determine.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Chickpea Roar posted:

Something weird happened when I formed Great Britain :v:

this happened to me too when I formed the Commonwealth. did you notice if you actually received the prestige? i wasn't paying attention beforehand and didn't notice.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

whats the most efficient way to strip development from an enemy during a peace deal? in terms of warscore. I *feel* like releasing countries costs more than making them return cores, but I haven't done the math to check. am I wrong? speaking mainly in terms of like, cutting Ottomans and other superpowers down to size. I ended up making release Trebizond, Aq Qoyunlu, Ramazan, and Ardalan so they had a line cutting off the Levant and Egypt. Was this best? It dropped their force limits by 20 and their income by maybe 25 ducats.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

i really wish there was a +siege ability advisor.

also - how exactly does manpower, recovery, and reinforcing work? The wiki seems to be out of date, talking about "manpower efficiency" which I don't think is a thing. The Manpower +modifier raises your total manpower, correct? And it takes a flat ten years to fill up completely, no matter what?

I get confused by "manpower recovery" vs "reinforce speed". Manpower recovery - is this how quickly you replenish your manpower pool, or how quickly a regiments refills with troops? Or is that what reinforce speed controls? Or is reinforce speed how quickly a regiment regains morale?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Does anyone have advice for this Papal States game? I keep getting boxed in by Spain/France/Austria, I finally have a run where Spain forming wasn't an issue. Not an ironman game or anything.

I can only expand in Genoa, Aragonese Italy, or Austria itself. I'm allied to France, Austria, and Hungary. Austria is allied to Aragon, and France is allied to Genoa. So it seems I need to use either France or Austria to help take out the other. They're both willing to join whichever war I decide to start.

So which should I choose? France has 87 regiments, Austria 71, and I can muster up 58. Genoa and Aragon are basically nonentities in the war. I'm pretty sure I can defeat whichever I choose to attack. (I have Hungary to help out too if I DOW France). Do I use Austria to take provinces off Genoa, and try to beat France badly enough I can get them to release some development? France has roughly 800 development right now, me and Austria are at 450~.

Attacking Austria means I can start working towards taking their provinces I need to form the Kingdom of God. But if I do THAT, I'm worried the continent will lose Austria as a potential check on French expansion. Or is this not something I should worry about? I just get nervous seeing such a large France. Our trust is relatively high, 65 or so, so I'm not too afraid they'll suddenly start desiring Avignon, but still.

Any tips? Or alternative DOWs I'm not seeing? Neither Genoa or Aragon have other allies I could DOW on to pull them into a war. I forged a claim on Ragusa, but they're allied to Austria and still guaranteed by Ottos, so it's a similar situation. Switzerland I don't feel like bothering with. I get impatient sitting around for so long with full manpower, coffers, and plenty of spare admin pts to core with.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

you mentioning the Reformation brings up another question: I went with a couple of the Papal decisions that reduce reform desire + prevent other nations from selling indulgences, etc. The reformation didn't start until maybe 30 years ago or so. But it occurs to me now: is that what I want to do? Less Catholic nations means I have a higher chance of holding the Papacy, correct? Is there any benefit to delaying the Reformation? I just did it for shits & giggles.

and thank you for the advice: gonna go ahead and try to smash up France. so you think it's more crippling to leave them with their territory but hampered by lots of war exhaustion?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

French morale is no joke. 5.1 morale with a technology base of 3. Surprised we beat them as easily as we did, to be honest. Not sure if I see them imploding, though. They reduced war exhaustion from 20 down to 12 pretty promptly, and the provinces I can see have all had their rebellions crushed. Their manpower is bouncing back pretty fast too.

Surprised to see they're still pals with me and willing to re-ally. Should I maybe do this? Austria actually broke our alliance after the war, which I was surprised to see. I have 70 trust with them but they started desiring Verona. I'm considering joining back up with France to smash Austria in a decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

is there a way to get "naval attrition" to show up as a flag? like the "your units are reinforcing" flag. it gets frustrating keeping track of blockading fleets during large wars, & sometime you don't notice when a province has been taken that lowers the supply range such that previously supplied fleets are now being damaged. maybe a mod or something?

also - has anyone noticed provinces not getting the -100 unrest after putting down a successful rebellion? i've noticed this happening when the province in question has 0 unrest when the rebels spawn (because i have troops stationed there). as an example, i had troops stationed in milan, keeping it's unrest at 0. when the Milanese Separatists popped, in Novara and somewhere else, after I put them down, I noticed Milan didn't get the -100 unrest modifier. Has it always been like this?

also - does the +improve relations over time advisor affect how quickly "Improve Relations" works? I'm pretty sure if affects how quickly opinion maluses decay to 0. Does it also affect how slowly opinion bonuses decay?

shallowj fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 16, 2016

• Locked thread