Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Another Person posted:

So the first big dumb exploit with CS has been found.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-not-get-eaten-by-austria-as-ravensburg-wad.860854/

i love it

e; for anyone who can't tell what happened, the player as an OPM joined a coalition against Burgundy and declared the war, let themselves get sieged, and then in the peace deal gave ALL of Austria's land away
That's hilarious. I assume it'll be patched out fairly soon because it's slightly exploitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo, it costs 97 diplo points to annex Riga. With the -25% from Influence. :stare:
But it has been developed... twice? And that increases the price tag (makes sense).

Brandenburg march is prepared and ready to be pointed at Bohemia. :getin:

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I noticed something you might want to change. If you war and annex a OPM, you can forcibly convert their religion as well which instantly changes the province to your faith bypassing the whole missionary conversion. It only works for heretics but it's obviously not intended. Maybe make the conversion happen after a day or two or just disable it if you take ALL provinces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czY9kWNXDDI :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How long has the Religious Zeal bullshit been an absolutely ridiculous -100% missionary strength when religious centers auto convert stuff? After the modifier finally ends and you convert it back to the true faith it just auto converts right back with another long time of bullshit claiming that it's hard to convert a recently converted province. loving HELL IT IS! I JUST CONVERTED IT AND IT FLIPPED RIGHT BACK WITH NO DIFFICULTY! Certainly no long immunity bullshit then. :argh:

The only thing to do was of course to declare war on the offending rear end in a top hat country, stomp them into the ground, take the offending province and create a large bonfire to solve the problem permanently. Still got the long wait, again!, but it does feel better now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I crushed some zealot rebels who were sieging and the game likely added their siege time to mine after the garrison finally gave up for this message. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd like to try my hand at a Chinese nation, exploded Ming thunderdome style. Should I start a game as Ming and cause it to fall apart as quickly as possible or is there a better way?

Guildencrantz posted:

So what idea groups do you take? Economic is a no-brainer given the amount of development you'll be doing, as is early Quantity, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what else is good for a permanent OPM. Administrative for piles of mercs? Diplomatic?
Trade might be a good idea, to funnel money towards your collection node with a ton of merchants.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

It's happened a bunch of times for me, except for the multiplayer game where i was austria and specifically tried to get it to fire

on the other hand this just happened

:eyepop:
I've seen that too. It's pretty cool how the AI doesn't always go for the optimal choice.

Spiderfist Island posted:

I made a mod for that, with two separate scenarios depending on how exploded you want China to be. It's not Ironman compatible and does change a couple of mechanics for the Ming (the Ming collapse is now a Disaster for example), so it might not be what you wanted. Most of the released tags also have a unique government type (Chinese State, -5 years nationalism and -0.05 autonomy with a faction system). It's also still a work in progress, so some things in the scenario and mechanics are in flux.
Nice. But it seems a bit more than I wanted. I just desire a shattered Ming. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget the increased coring cost which makes you substantially less tasty to other players in a multiplayer game. If you have some national ideas which increase your coring cost too, I've seen provinces with around 40ish development which cost nearly ONE THOUSAND ADMIN POINTS TO CORE.

It's a big ol' gently caress you to anyone who wants to take you over. They'd have to take the province, just eat the OE for the length of the truce, and then get you to give up your cores in a second war to make coring them reasonable.

Edit, Proof:

Double edit:
I looked into it some more and you can't demand someone give up a core on something that the owner doesn't already have cored so double gently caress you whoever takes those provinces. Only thing I can think of would be forcing the country to "return core" to another country or releasing a country so they loose their cores on it and then you take it in a second war. But that would only work if the province is not their primary culture.
A little more development and it's literally impossible to core for anyone in the western tech group. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh for the love of... Can we please NOT have the color for uncolonized provinces be a valid option for colonial nations? This is just retarded, I can't even see the drat thing.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 17, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a point in letting natives live when you colonize? The minuscule bonus to development doesn't seem worth it at all. From what I've gathered, if you're western the overseas penalty makes it pointless to waste any points and if you're playing in, say, Asia your lovely tech group makes development too expensive anyway?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mans posted:

not being a monster basically.
Meh. I'm already stomping in and killing thousands upon thousands of people whenever I conquer some place. :shrug:

I found an easy way to split Ming. Started as Ming, did a no-CB war against Ceylon, tag switched to Ceylon and sent a peace offer where Ming releases everything (had to add a few thousand diplopoints), switch back to Ming and then just switch to the proper kingdom. All before unpausing. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 17, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The conquistador got sick, again, cough up a few hundred bucks for medicine or lose admin points. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think I'd prefer if natives gave a random development for every 1000 (rounded up?). I'd make them more like they used to be, since if you are leaving them alive (just stripping away their faith, their culture, their way of living and so on) you are integrating them into your glorious realm and that should be reflected somehow. As it is it's kinda implying that you're working them to death over the period of time you get the development cost reduction.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So if it says they'll spawn in a province with mountains you can just move an army there and hope they'll spawn in flatlands instead? Sweet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

thatdarnedbob posted:

Since reading through events files is something I like to do: you can find multiple legendary sites. How it works is that a conquistador will have a chance to start off any particular search when he's going through empty provinces; he needs to be in the appropriate region to start looking for each of the legends, and you can't already be searching for one. Once you start one of these you can get flavor events related to the search in the same way. Each chain has three different possible results: a bad end which will hit you for some prestige, a good end which is decent, and an ultimate end which is probably worth roughly half an idea. You can only start each search once, and each ultimate end you get reduces the number of 'lottery balls' all the other cities have by half when their check to start a search comes up.

Getting one of the flavor events unlocks the potential for all three of the endings, while letting at least one year pass since starting the search only unlocks the two better endings. Interestingly, for these flavor events, "Explorer Dies" can only activate once every other search (since it ends the search), most can activate just once each search, but accidentally eating Long Pig can theoretically happen as often as it has a chance to, because unlike the others which check the flag they set in their trigger, "Long Pig" checks the flag set by "Spirited Away" instead. This might be a bug?
You forgot the fourth end to the search chains, running out of unexplored provinces and nothing happens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mugsbaloney posted:

I took iceland as the scots. I took the colonisation and exploration trees.I cant reach greenland. WHY CANT I REACH GREENLAND eiriksford is 306 away from reykjavik and my range is 240 after the +50%, why is finding accurate info on this game so pissing hard and what can i do now my colony dreams have been shattered? help mee
Improve your diplomacy tech, it gives you extra colonial range every once in a while. I think you need to reach diplo tech 7 to reach it. Getting ideas reduce the cost for the tech so you'll be fine if you just wait a while.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that the transport feature that lets rebels cross seas?

My Chinese game is not going as well as I'd have hoped. I shattered Ming and went on to play as Min (even if their flag looks like it has a derpy duck beak) but the thunderdome has turned into a lovefest. I want more slaughter. I'm really not looking forward to doing any sieges in Dai Viet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bah, if your king isn't reliving the life of Alexander the Great you're doing something seriously wrong when you make him a general. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 20, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Like those events that give you very talented women but they usually cost way too much to hire.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gold fleets are a pretty big deal. Mexico will give you 210 gold every two years which comes out to nearly 10 gold a month in income.
And severely increasing your inflation every year.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to get rid of the advisor death messages when it's not the hired ones who die? It's really annoying spam that doesn't serve any purpose at all. If you have 3 advisors you can tell it was an important one by the empty chair icon that shows up but if you can only afford one or two it's meaningless.

I forced my vassal Dai Viet to convert to Confucianism but they refuse to use missionaries to convert their provinces. I tag switched to them to check and all of their provinces are in the 20-30 months conversion range. They just won't use their missionary.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Throw some money at them.
How in the world would that help? :confused:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Missionaries have an upkeep when in use, and the AI refrains from spending gold at the dumbest of times. I had the same problem with Finland in my TO game yesterday.
Oh, thanks. They are sitting at +2 a month though. But I could throw them a buck I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shayu posted:

Wut?

rofl
Occasionally I remember why I love this game. :roflolmao:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

thatdarnedbob posted:

:vince: I never wanted to play as Ternate until now; the islands of the Pacific shall be my enemies' graves.
Which countries get those ideas anyway? Just those two island minors?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm totally having schadenfreude at Muscovy for failing though. gently caress those attrition assholes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

That's not what that word means.
It's not? But I'm laughing at them and enjoying seeing them get their asses kicked. How is that not what it means? :confused:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

- Only navies now take on arrival attrition.
Could someone please explain what this means? I don't understand the grammar at all. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

I err ... what?

Help me out here, there is clearly a fortress visible on the map, yet it does literally nothing?
They've probably just set fort maintenance to zero.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Thank you for posting the numbers, I was in a hurry earlier and couldnt look them up but I was pretty sure the crossing points on either end of the Bosporous were pretty close, and I knew Gibraltar is about 21 miles from Cueta to The Rock of Gibraltar (closest dirt to closest dirt is something just under 20km I believe). Also, mad respect for using the Ç.
And yeah, Gibraltar hasn't been cross-able since EU3:NA at least.

I dont like using game-changing mods but the TBARW or whatever they are that make the game look prettier are nice :)

I'm not surprised Custom Nations are popular but I, too was surprised to see that Custom Nations are THE most popular. I know I love having my own ideas.
I wonder if the custom nations are on the historical setup or on random maps?
Also with how popular the custom nation designer is, I wonder if they will ever add more options to setting up games with a randomized map. I would love it if there were some options like:
~No HRE
~All cultures have their cores so they are releasable countries
~More variety of religions on setup (e.g. if a player sets up a Norse or Zoastrian there would be some more countries with that religion and/or some provinces scattered around randomly nearby with that religion)
~Add or remove development from provinces when setting up the game
~Allow players to chose where their forts are at start
~Allow players to chose their army and navy composition, and where they are at start
I would really like the option to have all of my starting provinces to have my chosen culture rather than just the capital.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So why the hell am I not allowed to colonize this? It is in range, I'm a proper monarchy in the Chinese tech group. Is there some hidden bullshit against pagans again? But I can clearly build ships and if this is intended the +1 colonist from ideas is UTTERLY WORTHLESS SINCE ONLY ONE PROVINCE IS IN RANGE OF YOUR CAPITAL! :mad:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Is it actually, like, 160.1 arbitrary units of distance away? That would be a total kick in the dick, but afaik it should be possible given how EUIV rounds numbers.
No, it refuses to allow any colony for any province that isn't next to an already owned one. I own Makassar and the closest uncolonized province on Borneo is also "too far away". They share the same sea zone and I bet it'd be within coring distance even at diplo tech 1. :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Is your tech considered to be primitive? I remember native Americans and sub-saharans had restriction like that - no building boats and only allowed to colonize directly adjacent, not even over same sea zone
I don't think so, it's Chinese tech group. It now begins at level 3 and I even started with a fleet. And my government is a regular monarchy (despotic monarchy, so it's definitely not tribal) at the monarchy level (not empire or duchy).

Sorced posted:

After a little bit of messing around it seems like colonization is broken for everyone and only works on provinces you border.
Well, that's a comfort at least. Thanks. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well, at least Wiz confirmed things are busted. Can't colonize or explore with the beta patch.
I was able to explore the coast of my starting region. But I couldn't explore any sea areas.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Colonization and exploration works again. :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trying to afford three colonists as Ternate is a bit tricky.

I just noticed that if you zoom in as far as you can on Australia you can spot a few kangaroos. Incidentally my one colony on the island/continent has a slight penalty to its trade good price because "protestants don't eat fish". :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 1, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just auto discovered some land. Western Africa and almost the whole South America out of nowhere. Weird.

Bort Bortles posted:

There are also some crocodiles I thought.
I can't see any. :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eimi posted:

I want to do a Russia game, with the intention of crushing all other pretenders to the Roman title. So this means, taking Rome, Constantinople and subjugating the Ottomans, and dissolving the HRE, and probably taking Vien for good measure. Are there any other Romes I will need to crush to be recognized as Greatest Rome?
The British?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eimi posted:

Did the Brits ever claim to be heirs to the Roman Empire like Russia, the Ottomans, and the HRE did? I guess I could see doing what Caesar could not but I want be sure I get every pretender to the Roman Title. :v:
No idea, but I don't think so blatantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was actually asking about vs Common Sense release. (I don't remember a monarch point penalty and I'm pretty sure the unit buff was a long time ago.)
The extra coring costs strike a lot harder at non-western tech groups who have fewer points to spare. You also likely won't be developing any provinces.

Star posted:

Out of the way, youngster. Going back to Svea Rike :corsair:
I remember playing that all those years ago. Could never figure it out.

• Locked thread