Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

axeil posted:

Eh, if you have a trade node it's helpful to throw 50ish diplo points at it every few years. Diplo is still not really heavily used so building up trade is nice I suppose.

Development is pretty underwhelming. Take London which has two trade power modifiers and like a starting development level of 4 with a starting production of 1 at 1444; Each development level increase is iirc a base of 50 + current development level + 5*improvements made. That little '5*improvements made' wasn't in the dev diarys iirc and boy it shits things up real quick. Assuming I'm recalling all the numbers from last night right, let's say I've boosted London's production 8 times already so now it has a dev level of 12. If I want to improve it to a production level of 10, it would take 50+12+40=112 diplo points to do so. Assuming you built the +50% trade power building, along with London's two trade power modifiers you just spent 112 diplo points for not even an 2.5 trade power increase.

Development seems mostly pointed towards late game once you got 50% admin efficiency and can stack -dev costs from ideas and religions and whatever. The best use of development I've found early on is only the production development, because admin points is even more of a luxury now and mil points are spent keeping up in tech and ideas; And I don't mean increasing production on centres of trade but on your provinces with really good trade goods since even 2-3 points on a high priced trade good can increase your monthly income by like ~0.30 with just the production efficiency building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Also England is hilariously easy like everyone said. It wasn't even 1500 and I already annexed the isles, vassaled Scotland and put France back into the union. Parliament is garbage though (true to real life? :britain:), none of the edicts are worth giving up a bunch of monarch points, army tradition or even prestige and legitimacy every two decades and it gets worse and worse as you expand and have to open up more seats. Hopefully the royalists event is still there

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 10, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Does increasing production via development increase your trade power in the node that province is in?

It definitely does. Maybe admin and military development does too but who has spare admin and mil points to just randomly throw away a hundred of them early on.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I like forts but I wish the UI readability of it is better. Like I can't move to province Z but it is hard to see which province has a fort stopping me. The icons are tiny and the even tinier symbols differentiating the fort icons are washed out by all the other terrain and political colors around it. Also there should be some way to display hey if you move your guys out of this province it is going to get unoccupied, :siren:even if it is a fort:siren:.

And so I'm not being all negative about it, I do like the building change. Now all my garbage provinces with bad trade goods like grain and fish have a shipyard or a forcelimit improving building, stuff that I never would've built before.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Since the 0/0/0 Henry that you start out with every single monarch of my england game has been a queen. At one point I got a male heir but after 30 years he died and 5ish years later I get a female heir and the naming event to go with it. What are the odds.

Also I see the leagues war is still being silly

I didn't participate in any HRE drama or the leagues war but here I am, the emperor now. You see I thought with me and my french bulldog we would bully Spain and then go take over the asia trade. But apparently destiny wanted me to be a continental power so I will perform the best I can with my god given title. So alright how is the HRE looking right now

Yikes this is going to take more than a little spit to fix.

Heil Britannia Heil Kaiserin Jane Lancaster the First :britain:

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 11, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Now it's the other way around!

Now that I think about it, I wonder why England was such a non factor in EU4. I remember very clearly that they were a huge menace in EU3 especially if you were playing as Venice or one of the italian states or as someone in the asia minors. Unless France + someone else sink their navy early on, their navy was a true terror of the sea without player intervention. A nation guaranteed by or allied to England was a nation you don't want to gently caress with for at least the first century. In EU4 pre Common sense they just didn't concern themselves with anything going on in Europe except for one or two failed wars with France.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I really like the IA changes. Is taking away all their provinces until they're small enough to force change religion the only way to force their religion through cb for large nations? What happens in the HRE if you ask someone to change their religion and they refuse, do you get a special cb on them? Would the special cb make it easier to force their religion?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lum_ posted:

The REAL challenge is integrating the PU before 1550!

Why would you want to integrate France, she's got good national ideas and with her rich, correct culture provinces she will always have a strong autonomous army to siege or fight poo poo for you.

Contingency Plan posted:

I haven't tried CS/1.12 yet, what is it about this update that makes France such a pushover? I know the two countries no longer start at war but shouldn't France, as the wealthier country be able to raise much larger armies? Did England get a buff?

At any rate, I think it's time I got around to finally getting One Night in Paris.

Because England can easily find continental allies to gang up on France. AI England is still going to have problems defending her continental provinces and therefore lose the war most of the time though.

Sheep posted:

God bless you Wiz, this is the best expansion ever.

France took out Brittany :eyepop:

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 12, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Earn those power projection points. No one is impressed with Russia bullying Kazan.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Zombiepop posted:

I just bought common sense and now I get a CTD after I press play in the launcher. I have tried verifying the cache, runnin as admin, deleting my mod map and all that fuzz, but to no effect. Is there anything else I can do?

I had the same thing after the hotfix. First turn off steam, then delete all your mods in your mods folder and run the eu4 launcher with steam off.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I feel like non european nations really get the shaft with building slots and income. First they have less monarch points to spend on development because of their tech group. Then their provinces usually start off with less than 10 dev levels. And then their terrain usually has some kind development malus. All these add up to piss poor provinces even in the 17th century. And the final kicker? The AI usually fills their precious single building slot with forcelimit buildings.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Free cities can have vassals.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

SkySteak posted:

So I was looking at Common Sense and I was seeing a lot of reviews saying that either the AI hasn't adjusted to the new systems put in place, that coring/diplo annex costs are extremely high and that there are ton of bugs. Would it be better just to hold off on this until they patch it because it sounds like a bit of a broken mess right now.

The AI is really, really bad with the new system right now. Here is an example:

Pictured in the province buildings window are the army and navy forcelimit buildings. I'm not nitpicking and this is not an exception, the majority of the buildings in the world are forcelimit buildings. Then look to the right where my mouse is highlighting and observe the tier 3 fort. So in addition to what I said before:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I feel like non european nations really get the shaft with building slots and income. First they have less monarch points to spend on development because of their tech group. Then their provinces usually start off with less than 10 dev levels. And then their terrain usually has some kind development malus. All these add up to piss poor provinces even in the 17th century. And the final kicker? The AI usually fills their precious single building slot with forcelimit buildings.

The AI wastes their very limited income on upgrading forts which increases their expenses (tier1 fort has a 1.00/month expense, tier2 2.00/month, tier3 3.00/month etc, and divide the cost by half when mothballed). So with their bad income I doubt they are affording very good advisors which further compounds on their lack of monarch points.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Btw I checked and trade power actually increased by .40 per development, it doesn't matter what type of development it is.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The emperor can't demand province from someone in a war. Whether or not the emperor is in a war doesn't matter anymore.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Tales from Frankfurt, an ironman Free City striving to remain both free and a single city from 1444 till 1821.

The holiest, freest nation of one city.

Also the tiniest and most power projecting city in the world (on 1552)

And now protestantism has hit the city and I'm at a lost on what to do. Religious turmoil will be annoying as hell and my income will take a -0.33% hit if I choose to remain Catholic but I don't think I can even reconvert the province back even after religious zeal wears off. I could just jump to protestant but my worries are that it will get converted to reformed and that protestantism is really weak in this world because all 3 religious centers spawned in the lowlands so both england and the denmark alliance remained catholic.

Only one free city to look after and I'm struck by indecision.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Another Person posted:

Flip to protestant. Just go for it. The Church Power development discount will aid your free city a lot, and most of the minor powers around the area will also flip your way, so the emperor won't be able to do much about it. The centres of reformation will also spread out past the lowlands before long. Spend your papalbux though before you do it.

Also, you can take vassals. Beat on the Palatinate to punch out Mainz, then vassalize them and make Mainz into a march then feed them all of the land surrounding you.

e; guessing hesse might be a vassal actually, looking twice. They are not as good a vassal as Mainz would be, but they'll do alright.

Hesse and Cologne are my marches. Mainz already got ate up by Trier at this point. But it's not like I had the freedom to pick who to be my vassals or who to even go to war against since it all depended on the web of alliances. Hesse is kinda crappy though since they're a theocracy who went Defensive and Religious as their first two ideas but oh well.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I did a Frankfurt game, went Protestant and then went back to Catholic after the 30YW fizzled as none of the major nations outsides of the HRE converted. Used converting back as a way to get Austria to like me enough to give me back free city status, lost it when an ally game me Mainz in some war, had a claim because needed a CB to make all the cash money.

edit: I used Nassau as my march, probably not the best choice. Also lost some wars due to poor planning.

drat Austia unfreed citied you when you converted to Protestant? Was that the sole trigger or was it because your relations with austia wasn't that hot to begin with? I don't think there's a cheevo to track if you stayed as a free city through the whole timeline but I feel like I would have personally lost if I lost the free city status at any point.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Also both France and the Commonwealth have surpassed the austro hungarian alliance in fighting mans. The ottomans have surpassed it a few decades ago. Truly a frightening world to be a free city in.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Another Person posted:

Defensive ideas on a vassal would be pretty good if you can surround yourself with Hesse like a donut hole, then build them some forts on all sides. It would be a lot harder for the AI to get to you. Religious is... eh, for a vassal in this playstyle. Also, when I turned protestant I kept my free city status. Is that something you can actually revoke as emperor?

e; I want to do a free city Tuscany or Milan run now. Gonna do that right now. Their NIs give them a huge discount on development.

e2; wow, the duke of burgundy just died in the third month of the game

Yeah the emperor can revoke free city status for 5 IA iirc

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Try deleting all your mods and starting without steam on? Lots of weird poo poo that popped up since common sense seems to be related to steamworks.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Personally for me i couldn't get the game to launch on Friday until I tried with steam off so. But like you it worked fine afterwards normally. :shrug:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The saddest, most ineffective HRE

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It is insane to me that Kongo has been the emperor for seventy years and counting. It's like the electors just hate everyone inside the empire so much that they just randomly choose someone else in the world to rule. After less than two decades of sharing it with France and Sweden they decided to just throw the title away to 'Kongo'. Like how would this ever even work, how would the princes agree to pay their taxes and men to this ""Kongo"". No one has even seen this Kongo because there has certainly been no one coming to protect the empire from foreign invaders. Where did all those tax and troops sent to the emperor even go. There hasn't even been any evidence that Kongo even exists since the only time someone from Kongo supposedly stepped foot on this land was for the coronation ceremony, which happened to be a closed-ceremony in...... Frankfurt, oh. . .

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Playing as Frankfurt made me realize how easy everything in the hre is. If I wasn't restricting myself to one province I could've formed Germany by 1600 as Frankfurt easy.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Arzakon posted:

So I started up as Frankfurt with the idea of staying an OPM the whole time and I think I hosed up. First war I took Cleves and Hesse as vassals and fed them a few provinces over the next few wars. Then I went ahead and fed them Nassau/Mainz now I've got two very happy vassals who don't want to forge claims on anyone while I sit here without a CB. I think I'm going to restart and not vassalize anyone adjacent to me, only using them to start wars every 15 years for humiliation and only taking land from their allies. Waiting for the Imperialism CB for 200 years doesn't sound like much fun. Shame I have to restart, my initial 33 year old 6/3/3 ruled until he was 73 and I finally elected someone else and I'm about to hit 50 development before 1500.

I don't think there is any reason to build anything but base tax when playing like this. Production in Frankfurt is wheat and Manpower doesn't look like it increases force limit. I'd probably get more from buying only mercs and ignoring manpower. Thoughts?

Just wait for border friction cb to pop up on your vassals and use them. It's better than neighboring a non vassal imo.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm 99% sure it is due to the lots of new provinces in the german region, which the centres for protestant commonly starts out on. Maybe they need to change the upper limit of centres of restorartions to four.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

gfanikf posted:

What is currently the best country and time period to get used to the game mechanics with (ie like Ireland in CK2)?

Nice the OP doesn't have anything for newbies at all.

Nobody plays on any start dates other than 1444. For starters here's a list of descending difficulties of the starter nations to play:
Portugal - Super easy. Ally Castile and you can do whatever you want. Bully North Africa (and fail??) sure why not. Colonize. Trade in Asia.
Castile - Easy. Unite Iberia including Portugal. If you skipped playing Portugal then you can try out colonizing and trading for the first time. If you already played Portugal then you can also try getting involved with european politics and european continental warfare for the first time.
Ottoman - Not as easy but still easy. Unlike Castile you have multiple fronts. You also got enough troops and provinces to go whereever you want. Learn about Aggressive Expansion. Learn about dealing with wrong culture wrong religion provinces. Expanding to Africa and Asia is the easy path. Expanding to Europe is the hard path.
England - Normal. Unite the british isles. Deal with France wanting her cores back. Deal with the war of roses. The difficulty of England is mainly in the first 50~100ish years, after you stabilize the game becomes easy like Castile. You can colonize, trade, throw your face deep into european stuff, whatever you want.
France - Hard. England and Burgundy will fight you sooner than later. Maybe Austia even has you as a rival (in that case just restart). You have multiple fronts but unlike Ottoman some of your neighbors are very hostile towards you. If you haven't tried fighting the HRE before you going to learn about fighting them here.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Yes when I say France is difficult I meant it in the context of complete beginners getting their feet wet. France is not playable if Castile and Austria set you as their rival along with Aragon, England and Burgundy.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

You mean big blue blob. I think you gotta pray for lots of PU luck. Like Burgundy inheritance firing off and then inheriting all of austia from PU.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Help I'm addicted to getting involved with the HRE. The IA changes makes it so much more funner to be in it and do reforms without gamey rear end crap like before.

I wonder how Muscovy and Ottoman felt when they got an invitation to go to war against their enemy. Then on the battlefield they see 50(47 to be exact) different flags marching down on their foe. Must've been a real oh gently caress we chose the wrong person to gang up on moment.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Not mine but I think this should basically be eu4.jpg

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I've played 700 hours of EU4 but never played a merchant republic. Someone give me a recommendation for a good nation to try it out as and maybe any advice you think is relevant. I have all the DLC.

Well there's three that start out in 1444 as merchant republics: the hansa, venice and genoa. Venice is the easiest of the three and genoa is the hardest of the three to play. Just look at where each three of them start and pick the location you would like to play in as. Don't be afraid to go into debt to get mercenaries to grab more land. You might think that as a merchant republic you should gun for the Trade idea but that's a trap since the last thing you need is what that idea group gives.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Finished an England/HRE run to knock out all the related and new achievements. Nothing too special went on since it was basically me exerting myself all over the map with my red spunk which later dried out and turned all gray. But here's a highlight, me getting A Traditional Player while bullying Ming:

I called Russia to the war because why not. They barely contributed to anything though since the war was pretty much over by the time they got over here and all that was left to do was to siege down the forts for shits and giggles. But wait whose flag is that on the top left?

Oh no. Oh no no no. N-not, not again.. .. .

It's like deja vu from ck2 and I did a one post AAR where I owned Iberia and a crusade for Jerusalem triggered so I did what sane kings did back then and sent all my men to the crusade.

By foot.

Back then over a hundred thousand men died or deserted before ever even reaching Jerusalem. Then all the survivors died sieging Jerusalem.

In EU4 armies get reinforced so the effects are kinda hard to see but just look at poor Bohemia's manpower here. I would say over half a million Germans died for no real reason just marching across Siberia for a few years. (Russia also killed themselves marching across the Siberia but hey who cares about them). The screaming of pain of virtual men weighted on my conscience so I ended the war before I could drive Ming's war exhaustion up to 20. As a result they did not explode after the war but I also saved countless fake families so eh.

Bonus:

Imagine I used printscreen instead of f12 here and there was a Grand Armada achievement pop up on the bottom right. Peep the date :sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Sorced posted:

You don't need to use printscreen. F11 does a screenshot that captures steam achievment popups. They are saved in in your documents.

gently caress i wish I knew that, it was a perfect polaroid moment managing to get that achievement a month before the game ended.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

reL posted:

So is the English Civil war an inevitability? I had a solid run as England completely destroyed by the English Civil War. I loaded up the save, wherein previously I had no ticking "Looming Disasters" only to show that I had the ECW looming disaster. Looked at the single modifier to cause it ticking at +1 per month, and it was "No Debate in Parliament." But that's because I had just finished a debate, successfully (for the 11 straight achievement, so good timing there), and had the 10 year cooldown modifier before I could start the next.

Wound up with Cromwell winning because I'm an idiot and sided with him. His 0 diplomacy stat meant that integrating France went from an initial expected end date of 1636, to 1656, and on Cromwell's death the PU dissolved at 70% integrated! Wonderful!

Yes the English Civil War always happen, the disaster starts ticking at 1600 sharp. If you plan for it it is basically nothing. Both times I've ended this 'civil war' within a month of it starting. Keep enough admin points in reserve to go from -3 stab to +1 and have enough men in the british isles to crush the initial rebels.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Units don't fall behind between tech groups and haven't for a long time. (Except for the horde who don't get any new units at all)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm playing the Papal States and it seems the dlc added LOTS of events to them and they're really cool. One set of events involves rebuilding the former glory of the church that lets you choose various permanent bonuses like -5% tech costs and +5% discipline. The other set of events involves combating the reform desire. You get a choice between lowering the reform desire by 10% and also stopping all catholic nations from getting a certain event that usually raises the reform desire and also a -1 stability hit to yourself, or you can choose gently caress that get a +5 yearly ducat income. Of course I chose the income choice every time and now a protestant centre of reformation spawned on Mantua and protestant is spreading through northern italy and my lands :saddowns:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Yes vassals keep occupation of claims/cores. And then they get angry when you don't give them a province in the treaty.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Oh god the Reformation happened 25 years ahead of its historical schedule and Europe is burning. I might just be the worst Pope ever

But maybe in certain eyes I might be the best pope ever :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

If the +5 cost per development is getting taken out then the development increase per level needs to go from 1% to 2%. Even with the high rear end cost right now OPMs with good terrain are already developing the poo poo out of their province. There's going to be like lvl90 provinces otherwise.

Still I feel like straight up removing the +5 cost is a bit extreme. Maybe like make the base 35, change the cost to +3 per development, allow development efficiency to affect the whole cost and also give the first +25% development efficiency in the tech trees like 4 techs earlier. Or maybe lower it to be +20% efficiency and give three of them. The bigger problem right now is that the AI of 70% of the map can't afford development, +5 cost or not, and then squander their one or two given building slots on forcelimit buildings.

Like you don't even have to go far across the world to the footrests of europeans, you can look across the sea to the mamluks and see how pathetic they are right now compared to pre common sense.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread