Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

Okay, so the Burgundian Inheritance just happened... but somehow Milan got all of Burgundy's land. Saxony is the Emperor. What the hell just happened?

If I remember correctly you need a minimum number of provinces as the emperor to inherit burgundy. Saxony most likely didn't hit that requirement and milan had a royal marriage with burgundy. Thats enough to get it if the emperor can't claim it.

Fuligin posted:

Repostin' here :How's peoples performance? Mine has definitely gone down significantly but I've seen reports on the Paradox forums that it's much better than before, so I'm not sure what's going on. Also I'm having some weird zoom issues.

Yeah it feels slower then before for me too and I also have the zoom issue. I remember that issue from my old pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

But joining their wars increases trust, which moves them from Defensive to Friendly, right? What's the easiest way to go from Defensive to Friendly?

Joining their wars and increasing trust is the easiest way.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Are separatist rebels being able to near-instantly siege down a province and give you umpteen more years of nationalism an intended change? Didn't see anything about that in the hotfix :(

quote:

One thing with regards to forts and fast rebel occupations I would like to point out;
Provinces within the Zone of Control of a fort will NOT suffer any ill effects from being occupied by rebels.

We're working on improving the information you get on this in-game.
I guess this solves the mystery as to why some provinces got seperatism and some didn't.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

I hope the detailed one is right.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Zurai posted:

1) I generally only increase development under two circumstances: if I'm capped on monarch points, or if I have a gold province. 1 production development is +1/2 ducat a month on gold provinces.

2) They won't demand from their allies or if they're in a war. Pretty sure that's it.

quote:

- The Emperor can now demand unlawful territory while at war, as long as they're not at war with the country they're demanding it from.

e: Oh while they (as in the the country the emperor demands the province from) are at war. Then yes thats correct.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 13, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Vodos posted:

I think I read somewhere that forming Prussia as TO while having Brandenburg as a vassal did something special, but I can't find anything in the event or decision files. Am I mixing something up?

Pretty sure its the other way around. There is an event that gives you a PU over AI-Prussia for free if you are brandenburg and have prussia as a vassal or positive relations with them.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Eimi posted:

Well, having got the expansion, I just have to say the way war is waged now is HELL on manpower. I'm playing Muscovy and I'm constantly at 0, despite being Russia. Also having had admin focus all game, I'm still not really keeping up. I cannot imagine playing a nation not named Muscovy with current manpower requirements.

Manpower is overall much lower then before. After consolidating india in my 1.11 nagaur game I had ~525k manpower and in my 1.12 ceylon game I own the same land but only have 235k manpower. After culturally enriching all of india and using mil on manpower improvements I managed to get that to 300k+ but thats still way less then in 1.11.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Mugsbaloney posted:

One of the tips suggests that you can send your merchant to a downstream node to "send a small amount" upstream (or words to that effect) . I take it that would be negligible?

I think what the tip means is that if you have unused trade power downstream (i.e. no merchant and you are not collecting anywhere downstream) a small amount of trade power (no trade value) gets transfered upstream.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

God help the republics.

You can just switch to noble republic if you want aristocratic ideas.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
There is a bug with administrative efficiency in that it works additively instead of multiplicatively which means that as the ottomans with admin ideas you'll hit the 1 adm/development (0.5 for overseas provinces) sanity check on coring cost at tech 27. And even before that, if you focus on overseas territory as the ottomans with admin ideas (i.e. have a vassal between you and the territory you want to core) you pay a measly 2 adm/development. This makes a wc not that hard but still really really tedious. Can't recommend.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Poil posted:

Is there a point in letting natives live when you colonize? The minuscule bonus to development doesn't seem worth it at all. From what I've gathered, if you're western the overseas penalty makes it pointless to waste any points and if you're playing in, say, Asia your lovely tech group makes development too expensive anyway?

Yeah natives are worthless now.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

sloshmonger posted:

Playing as Poland, I just got a PU over Wallachia. Hungary contested, and off to war we go.

Except none of my minions got the call to arms. Lithuania's sitting there. Novgorod, Modavia, Golden Horde... Allies got the call, and thankfully accepted, as I was already involved in 3 wars.

Am I missing something? Do junior partners, marches and vassals not get call to arms for PUs?

You were allied in a war with hungary when they decided to contest for the pu. If that happens there is a bug preventing all your vassals from joining the war.

VDay posted:

Is there a good way to get allies to go from being Defensive towards you to friendly? Will it at least happen eventually? I can't tell if some of these alliances I'm forming are worth it if my allies just sit there all day and never join any of my wars. I know it's still useful as a deterrent for other nations declaring war on me, but I'm never quite sure if I should just go with a lesser alliance with a smaller country in exchange for them already being friendly towards me or if I should or even can just wait out the defensive period with my bigger neighbors instead.

Once you get high enough trust they should eventually become friendly eventually.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Apoffys posted:

What's up with the "Rebel Uprising!"-event? I occasionally get it despite there not being any rebels in my lands. Are they being inspired by that peasant rebellion I crushed a few years ago or what?

The event can happen if you have a religious unity below 100%.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Bonus:

Imagine I used printscreen instead of f12 here and there was a Grand Armada achievement pop up on the bottom right. Peep the date :sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

You don't need to use printscreen. F11 does a screenshot that captures steam achievment popups. They are saved in in your documents.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Apoffys posted:

What the gently caress? Am I missing something here or what? Why are the rebels instantly winning when there's both an army and an active fort where they spawn? Granted, I had neither when the event popped up and I waited a few months to click it until I did, but still...

There are events that cause the spawning rebels to immediately occupy the province they spawn in. This is one of them. Although normally these events (mostly disasters) spawn them instantly without giving you a chance to react. And yes it does make the event pretty dumb because the first option gives the illusion that it doesn't convert the province when in-fact they always do.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I mended the schism as orthodox ottomans by 1510, before any reformation occurred. I figured this would prevent the reformation since no Pope would mean no reform desire, but I was wrong.

Trying again as regular Muslim Ottomans for WC achievement and exploiting distant overseas and I did make a huge empire, but not that much inroads into Europe. How do you expand into the HRE without being annihilated by a coalition? I conquered a stretch of land from Moldovia to Danzig over the course of 3 wars and the last one aroused the wrath of everyone from Lithuania to Austria.

You'll just have to beat the coalition. They also can't be in a coalition while they have a truce with you. So either get different nations on different truce timers or simply trucebreak to avoid coalitions.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 22, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Gort posted:

With development not having an escalating cost, are we not just going to end up dumping it all in our capital province?

There were two parrts to the increasing development cost. A percent based cost based on total development that increased by 1%/development and on top of that an additional fixed cost of 5/time you pushed the button. The second part is getting removed next patch but the percentage cost still increases.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

War score cost maxes out at 100%, doesn't it? Just like coring maxes out at 999.

Yes.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 22, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I understand how pu's work, but these were normal vassal relations.

Sometimes (mostly with small vassals) the game decides to skip the whole junior partner phase of inheriting a country and gives you the land straight away fully cored. This happens mostly with vassals because they can only have a royal marriage with the overlord and I don't know if it is even possible for someone to contest a pu over a former vassal. You can test that by loading up a nation that has a vassal, rm'ing the vassal and then console killing their ruler over and over again. I messed around with that once and it took between ~3-5 monarch deaths until it fired for a small vassal like 1444 perm or yaroslavl. Too unlikely to be used in any way by the player but likely enough that a couple should happen every game, they're just really hard to notice.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Hey so I'm doing Baltic Crusader in a Ironman game. I have every province in the Russian Region cored and Catholic religion, and I haven't tag switched or culture shifted or anything like that. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it unlock?

Post a screenshot, you are probably missing one of those provinces like korela or ingil that are part of multiple regions and don't have the russian color in the region mapmode unless you enter the mapmode with a russian province selected..

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Well, are you sure they are all your cores and that your savefile didn't deironman itself. Otherwise I have no idea.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Koramei posted:

New dev diary

it's just ideas this time, but look, finally Yarkand :banjo:

beta drops next week

I really wanted to play a leon game because I like the color and now they have good ideas so thats nice. Also mutapa finally has yearly inflation reduction as their tradition maybe now a different nation will come up as number 1 if you sort by inflation in the ledger. And the screenshot shows that orissa lost some land to a new nation andhra (maybe a vassal of orissa?). Now there are only 33 nations with generic ideas left and most of them are formables that don't really count because you keep your old ideas.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Trujillo posted:

Anyone else noticing weird stuff with the AI just sitting there?

Venice and Castile have been sitting in this province for probably around 3 years now. The next year they're just sitting there and even bring a few more troops to sit there.

Same with the rest of my allies. It's like everyone's AI turned off except for the Ottomans.

Hopefully this is something fixed in the patch or maybe the AI just did the math and realized they weren't going to beat the Ottomans so it's better just to sit and wait till they annex me.

Sometimes the AI of a country just goes braindead. Restarting the game always helps in those cases, so thats the first thing you should try if you think that the AI is behaving odd.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

- Countries on a different continent than the current Emperor are no longer eligible to be Emperor.
Rip kongo vs mutapa 1v1 30 year war.

quote:

- Subject Forcelimits Contribution was changed to Vassal Forcelimit Contribution, and only increases land force limits from vassals & marches. Numbers were increased to compensate.
Isn't this already the case? Hovering over my force limits shows me +2 from every vassal/march and none from my PU's / colonial nations.

quote:

# Technology
- Chinese & Indian tech groups now start at tech 3.
- Development & Administrative efficiency is now gained 20% at a time around 1630, 1700 and 1760, for a total of 60% (up from 50%).
Nice.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core (if not already), either directly or eventually through other provinces you are taking at the same time.
rest in peace exodus strategies.

e:

Trabisnikof posted:

And on the second one, doesn't that mean "take enough provinces to get below 100% war score to vassalize" won't be as simple as 2 wars to eat the whole country anymore?

Pretty sure they are talking about diplovassalization there.

e2

quote:

- Will no longer care to colonize Arctic provinces if they don't already own territory in the same area.
Isn't that also already the case. There are no colonizeable provinces anymore in my england game except for siberia and nobody has even attempted trying to colonize there.

quote:

- Removed tech group restriction from decisions to change government to Merchant or Aristocratic Republics.
Heh. I remember bitching about this a lot back when those were first introduced.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 26, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I'm playing as custom netherlands, about half my provinces are in the empire. I've taken a bunch of imperial provinces illegally and constantly ignore the demands to return them. I've vassalized electors and free cities. I lead the protestant league in a quick and decisive war that resulted in protestantism being the official empire religion, which saw Austria permanently lose its emperorship and it pass on to Saxony, who has been emperor over and over for a very very long time and seems to have blobbed big enough to form Germany and is my main rival.

None of these answer the main question: are you a republic? (and yes dutch republic counts). If you are you cannot be emperor for obvious reasons.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

So wait, what are Native Americans supposed to do now? Buildings costing 100 ducats and being restricted by development really screwed them over, but being able to develop helped them a little bit. With this change they are now thoroughly screwed in terms of expanding, going tall, or doing anything fun at all until the Europeans get to them. What are they supposed to do?

Still develop. Even with the new +100% after you develop a province ~13 times development will end up cheaper then in the current patch. If they had not introduced some penalty for developing as a primitive a huge number of provinces in the new world would've ended up in the 30 development+ range.

ZombieLenin posted:

Doesn't this change just mean "Non-European countries cannot hold the emperor title?"

Yes. This lead to some hilarious results if the 30 year war started when say kongo was the emperor.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

I really don't get the +100% cost to primitives. They were already the group in the game that most badly needed MPs, this is just going to hurt them even further, especially since a lot of their provinces are crap (and/or mountains for South America) to begin with. It doesn't even make any sense, since prior to European arrival, parts of Central and South America were among the most densely populated areas of the world. If anything, they needed a cost reduction - they don't have points to spare for development prior to this.

Even with the +100% cost for primitives after ~7-11 (depending on terrain) province improvements development is cheaper then in the current patch. As a primitive you never want to tech unless you absolutely have to because you get so much tech for "free" once you start westernizing, which means you have thousands of monarch points that you have no use for. With the new waaaaaaaaaay cheaper development it takes between 1800-2500 (again depending on terrain) mp's to take a 1/1/1 province to 30 development. Which is only 1 to 1.5 tech levels for a +150% tech cost nation. If there was no penalty then by the time the europeans would arrive you could have a couple constantinoples in the new world, which would be fine if they implemented how disease devastated much of the new world but taking away the progress you built wouldn't be very fun either.

TTBF posted:

Generally you want to keep mil tech up high enough to dominate the other natives, and also possibly dip tech if for some reason you need boats. If you're further away from the Atlantic coast you might also get admin tech up so you can get additional colonists.

You don't get boats as primitives period.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Trujillo posted:

If anyone wants to get an achievement where you start as a tiny country dependent on a big power do it before this next patch. Allies are going to be more critical of your army size/force limits and won't want to ally you if you already have a great power ally by the sounds of it.

On the other hand you have this:

quote:

- Now more willing to ally weak countries that are threatened by a rival.
So who knows how this will work out in the end.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Donald Duck posted:

I was under the impression that you could core a province next to your vassals? I'm guessing this is part of the interesting "overseas" mechanics that happen around this area. At least I can work around it by claiming Genoa and taking their province to westernise.

Edit: Realised it isn't clear, Circassia are my vassal.

You can only core provinces next to your vassals on your home continent. The province you want to core however is in europe.

PleasingFungus posted:

" - Fixed manpower being gained inversely on stackwipe (i.e. a regiment with 0 men would give the most MP back to country)."

What?

What.

Do surrendering regiments return manpower...?

If an army gets stackwiped you get 50% of the troops back as manpower.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

okay; now: what the hell happened to the aggressive expansion info? "Between 1 and 21 with 100 countries" is NOT a useful metric.

If your ae could trigger them joining a coalition (i.e. puts them above 30 AE) it'll tell you explicitly.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

:stare:

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

To get the Kirishitan Japan achievement, do you have to remain a Daimyo? Having started as Ouchi, I've basically won the thunderdome at this point (which was loving hard), but have left Japan as an OPM because the achievement's conditions aren't exactly clear.

You don't have to remain a daimyo but if you remain a daimyo you'll get access to a decision that'll allow for an easy conversion to catholic. If you form japan you'll have to let catholic rebels enforce their demands with a majority of catholic provinces. Which takes awhile but is what I did. It comes down to preference really.

If you decide to expand on the mainland as japan you'll need to culture convert provinces because your catholic event rebels only spawn in japanese cultured provinces.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

Are there any admin advisers that are notable for having good events tied to them?

master of mint + trader gives gives an event thats either -1 stab for +5 mercantilisim or +100 adm/+100 dip if you ever chose to get +5 merc the event won't repeat again. Production efficiency guy decreases the chance to get a comet. And thats it for useful events as far as I remember. Of course there are the +3 advisor event but every advisor has one of those.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

If I can build the Suez and Panama canals in this games timeframe I want to be able to build a canal between the Don and Volga and sail ships (maybe not heavies) between the Caspian and the Black Seas :colbert:

The Turks tried to do that in the 1600s and could have easily done it had they put more effort into it.

edit: but then Astrakahn and Persia would not be inland nodes :v:

I can't wait to have 1000 trade ship patrol in the caspian.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It seems like bullshit that a castle with 1/10th the normal garrison can hold out like that! Do undermanned forts get a penalty to defending or anything?

edit:

Glory (1989)

Forts lose defenders with each siege tick. Should their number reach 0 the fort falls regardless of siege progress.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

Do Noble Republics get less RT/year? Or looking at it maybe re-elections cost more (20)?

reelection cost is scaled to time in office because otherwise you would start at a short election cycle republic and once you got your monarch high you would switch to a long election cycle one, in fact thats what you used to do. It's 2.5 RT/ year spend in office.

Pellisworth posted:

Since we're on the subject, I think the +0.2 RT policies are garbage. If you wanna :sperg: and compare the monarch point cost/benefit, +0.2 RT equates to one "free" re-election every 50 years (for a 4-year election cycle let's just roll with that since it's most common). Compare that relative to the potential MP from re-electing versus getting a fresh 4/1/1:

+0.2 RT policy for 50 years = 600 MP
MP gain from e-electing after 1 term = 144
Re-electing after 2 terms = 288
Re-electing after 3 terms = 384

So, uh, they're a lovely investment.

You are ignoring the +50 mp / reelection. But yeah they got nerfed hard compared to back when policies were first introduced and they were way too good.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

You absolutely do not need RT bonuses for republics to be amazing. There's an event when your RT is down to about 40 that gives you 20 RT and -1 stab. Just set your focus to admin and go crazy. It's still worth it.

Yep. Thats exactly what I do. A good thing to remember is that low stability is pretty meaningless as a republic because unlike legitimacy RT does not gets reduced by it and your revolt risk does not constantly increase. So the extremely expensive stability from low RT is not that big of a deal. Running around with -1 or -2 stability for an extended amount of time is just fine as long as you can deal with the rebels.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 29, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

Btw this is not from someone getting high OE to make a funny screenshot. These rebels are all from a single austrian event that spawns nationalist rebels in every single province with an unaccepted culture or you can just pay 600 monarch points.

e: Must've missed the new morale bars in the patchlog. It's much easier to see at a glance who is winning now.

e2: Don't remember a 10 year cooldown on joining wars either.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 30, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Jolan posted:

I'm still on 1.12, playing Muscovy, and I haven't had a single Patriarch Authority event in 34 years. Anyone know what's up with that?

You don't get patriarch authority events in 1.12, it's fixed in 1.13.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Poil posted:

No, it refuses to allow any colony for any province that isn't next to an already owned one. I own Makassar and the closest uncolonized province on Borneo is also "too far away". They share the same sea zone and I bet it'd be within coring distance even at diplo tech 1. :(

After a little bit of messing around it seems like colonization is broken for everyone and only works on provinces you border.

Koramei posted:

so I immediately wanted to check, and

ah

They spawn as a lucky nation with 50 regiments, 5k ducats, 1m manpower and also get 50 ducats/month, 75% core cost, +100% discipline, -10 unrest, +100k max manpower,, +100% manpower recovery, -1000 relations to everyone, -50% attrition from their invasion modifier. Also imperialism on everyone. I kinda want to play a real game against them.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Also it seems that the "can't take provinces you can't core" thing doesn't take into account that you can core provinces adjacent to vassals on the same continent. Makes some starts like kongo really weird.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

VDay posted:

Do you know what the threshold is by any chance? I'm assuming that's the problem and I probably won't release enough stuff to get back under it but it'd be nice to know for future reference.

The decisions are visible before you have all the requirements, or at least they used to be. It's why I'm not sure if they were just taken out or if I simply don't qualify for them anymore.

They stop appearing if you have too many provinces and don't qualify for them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
The flavor event option was a work in progress, not done and they forgot to remove it for the beta patch. So it isn't guaranteed to work correctly. As is you don't get the option on death and it can produce a ruler that is not a medici.

• Locked thread