Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I found it, I found the bug in this DLC

Separatists of your country inherit you when they enforce demands. I just became a Feudal Monarchy with a new king/lovely ideas thanks to Cyprus revolting form the Mamluks. What the gently caress happened to patriot rebels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
like what the gently caress lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How, I have to respend monarch points to get my good idea sets back and have no legitimacy
edit: didn't even notice my monarch points getting drained. Great waste of 4 hours by ruining this ironman save

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't understand what's going on here, were you Ottomans and suddenly became Byzantium?

I was Byzantium, Byz Separatists in Mamluk owned cyrprus revolted, they presumably became the BYZ tag as well and thus I became them. So I had Cyprus's idea group choices, their monarch points and randomly genned monarch.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

Ah, got you. I was wondering why anyone would pick Maritime as their first idea group!

A byz game is safe to play as long as you remove your cores that Byz separatists give you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Average Bear posted:

A byz game is safe to play as long as you remove your cores that Byz separatists give you.

I just had this happen on the Genoese islands east of Turkey in a new Byz game and nothing bad happened. Just got the islands fine. So this info might not be completely accurate

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Monarch point costs are way too demanding. It's 1550 in my current game and I have 2 ideas unlocked. Not groups, ideas. I'm a bit behind in tech and struggling to keep up. That's not even mentioning the province improvements, which there is absolutely no room for and I haven't touched.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

aeglus posted:

Overall I haven't really felt like anything costs too much. I'm always ahead in tech and just tossing extra points to improve provinces. I think it's mostly because North Italian provinces are so rich and Ambrosian Republic is practically the best government type other that Dutch. Also for a fun new mechanic, you get to vassalize the pope and then force him to change religion.

Why is Ambrosian Republic good? Just wondering for my Milan game

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Expanded just a little bit too quickly as Milan and got coalitioned by the pope, Genoa, the swiss, and Hungery. Then two other countries declared war on me when I was down on my luck. Had to give up 100% warscore to the pope et al but turned around and beat the other two italian minors who attacked me while I was being gangbanged.
The AI this patch is so much more rutheless. I love it.

Forts in the Italian area are so incredibly powerful given how little maneuvering room you have.

Now it's in the 1540's and I still don't have enough of italy to form the country. However my development is immense for how big I am. I've got over 400 despite not even having worked my way down to rome yet. Milan itself has a basetax of around 25 and a total development in the low 40's. I have a monthly income of around 45 gold, a profit of about 6 gold, and I'm wielding a 50ish force limit (and this without the quantity idea group, just economic, defensive, and diplomatic). The total of 30% reduction in development costs is huge for me at this stage and it'll only get better as the game goes on. I'm more powerful than Austria, who's kinda floundered thanks to loosing the emperorship early on and never getting it back.

Yes, I'm very happy with this. When I finish with Italy I'm thinking I'll make a bunch of marches around to expand my military even further since money probably won't be an issue.

Dude, Milan/Italy rocks. I've been constantly expanding inside of Italy and just laughing off the coalition wars the HRE throws at me every 15 years. With France and Aragon as your friends, enemies just melt. I'm sure the bad AI doesn't help them any though, because they sure do love throwing every army onto a mountain Swiss province, which is my march. Having a blast.

Honestly I'd be content with just expanding to Italy and playing tall. CS makes it a pretty fun experience.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Traxis posted:

Can't you just dissolve the alliance before declining the call to arms? It used to work to avoid the penalty, I'm not sure if they ever changed it.

It's fixed in the next hotfix.

Also 25 prestige is something you need to weigh against when declining a call. AI is affected by it too, when you get attacked and they don't come to help.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If I vassalize the Emperor, do I become Emperor? It's hereditary

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Rofl at the last two suggestions

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The rival system is really loving dumb sometimes

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
anyone notice greece's new color? hoooo drat thats some good poo poo

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
neat

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How to piss off Austria and gain more IA monthly:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yup. I'm going to give Austria free city status

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Do client states count towards diplomatic relations?
Yes, but I cut them free for -25 prestige a pop. Can't stop them from dogpiling each other though. Good way to get that dynasty cheev too

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
"Take THAT, von Habsburgs!"

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You get to choose whether they do when you make them.

I can't imagine why you would choose to not give them your dynasty but it's an option.

They don't have an heir when they spawn, so if their king dies you can end up in a PU with the client state with France contesting it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Gonna try out a Byzantium game today for the Rome achievement. Any tips on how to proceed in Common Sense?

Restart until you get a dip rep advisor. Austria has to rival Venice, Poland has to rival ottos (v common). Begin by removing all your forts and putting both maintenance to 0. Make 3 infantry regiments and after that spam galleys. Improve relations with Austria and Poland. Don't hire advisors until just before you can RM Poland. It adds 5 points to your score to accept deals. It helps to fab claims on Bulgaria, Austria won't ally you until post ottoman war.

RM Poland ASAP and you can ally right after that. After polands truce with Ottos expire Nov 1449, you can attack them. Only do so if you have enough galleys to block the straits, and do it while they're in a war in Anatolia. Even if you can't defeat their navy, it will give Poland time to consolidate their forces in Greece and stand a chance at fighting. After that, occupy all of the Balkans. Usually Poland and friends cross the straits and beat back the ottomans, so you can take all of the Balkans in one war with 80+ war score.

After you win the first war, get ready to fab claims on Serbia and Walachia. Make Walachia your vassal and just annex Serbia. Wipe up any other minors sitting around. Now finish allying the Austrians and attack Venice for their Greek and Croat provinces. If Venice is allied to like Castile, consider beefing up your navy first.

After you have everything between Hungary and the Hellespont controlled, you basically just finish off the ottomans and attack Hungary when you can without Austria getting involved. Release Transylvania and make a new Hungary. Keep the Croatian provinces. You'll quickly become the worlds top power.

Edit: forgot to mention, develop Constantinople with admin once to up your force limit to 11. That is like a break even point to get allied

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's some insane hosed up bullshit that's for drat sure.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's really bizarre to me how there is any land route into India from China or Central Asia that isn't the khyber pass. Fairly certain the Himalayas aren't passable by 1500s armies...

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Here's a pro Brandenburg start: rival mecklenberg at the beginning and vassalize/ humiliate them when you go to war with TO since they always ally them. Then diplovassalize the OPMs around you. Anhalt, lunenberg, and saxe-lunenberg are good

You'll have 100 pp for like 50 years

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Winning as Byzantium is not hard in the slightest. I posted a foolproof guide earlier in the thread

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

Vicky 3 looking good.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Isn't Trent linguistically German, even today? Was it Italian back then?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Why would anyone want to form Tuscany when that color is so sick. Can't wait to play Florence.

Just sucks that late game Italy is boring since forming Italy gives you a poo poo flag, lame ideas and an awful color

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So I spent the whole game ignoring this part of the world, what the gently caress is going on?! I've never seen results like this.

Fuckin rules lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is that Bhutan in Kurdistan? Good poo poo

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sheriff posted:

If I form the Kingdom of Italy and then go on to unite the HRE, will all Italian and German cultures be accepted? I've never done either so I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but if so I think I found my next play-through.

No, you'll keep you're primary culture but also be the union for Germans

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Italian cultures will still be yellow instead of red though.

True so it's still good. But hell if you form the HRE you won already no matter who you are

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Woah, does the "submission to the emperor" modifier ever expire for Italian states? It's pretty harsh.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Really hosed up that playing as an Italian state, staying in the Empire gives a permanent +3 unrest, -1 prestige, +10% stab cost modifier...

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Goddamnit, two of the electors have left the coalition against me.

Insult them.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Should I do it?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

TTBF posted:

Take out 50 loans and go under 0 stability and revolutionaries will start ticking up until you hit 3 stability. Go bankrupt and they'll really start coming. Remember that they only show up starting at 1750.

I imagine he wants them before the game is over

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Say I'm BYZ and expanding into the levant. If I make a two province vassal, like Lebanon, extending from the Mediterranean to the wasteland desert... Would the provinces below be distant overseas and cheap to core? Could I take all of North Africa like that?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Somethings things work out. Joined Austria in a minor HRE war just to keep them as allys, my entire army is busy destroying...ahem...turning Morocco into a trade paradise. So this little 6 stack marches in from Hesse or some poo poo, as I get a popup to either lose 10 prestige or spawn a stack of rebels in Genoa. Sucks to be the invading army.

edit:

aww :(

Probably for the best, since the rebels could maybe siege that province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
PA is good because money is easy to get and missionary strength, manpower and unrest reduction are good

• Locked thread