Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Any tips on how to integrate the Teutonic Order diplomatically as Poland? I took the mission to vassalize them because the rewards were good, and now have the mission to integrate them but they apparently still hate me even with +200 relations because of a 50% liberty desire for being historical rivals. I Have a diplo rep adviser, have relations improved to the max and tried to placate the local ruler in the new subject interface but that seems to run out pretty quickly. I haven't integrated Moldavia yet, could their forcelimits be pushing the liberty desire over the edge that much?

fake edit: Never mind, apparently my ironman save disappeared into the cloud somewhere so that run is down the drain. All of my other saves show up though. Guess I just won't take the mission next time and not bother vassalizing them.

real edit: Just tried starting another game, exiting to the menu and then loading it again and the save is also missing. Great.

EU4 tends to have a history of missions lagging a bit behind mechanics. They are mostly there to either help you replicate history or provide a "this might be a good idea to do" bit of help to people unsure.

Right now the Remind the Knights mission might not be easily possible. I seem to remember someone saying historical friends\rivals can go away after a time so maybe if you keep them at +200 it will. Still doesn't seem like a good idea over just eating them though.

The other option is obviously to grow bigger so they are much smaller relatively. Doesn't matter how much someone hates you, if you are way way more powerful they tend to shut their faceholes quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'm reserving judgement till I've played more but I've done ~75 years with the Teutonic Order.

Development actually seems quite good. No idea on balance issues yet but so far I've been able to develop my land while keeping a similar tech and idea speed to before the patch.

I've tried specializing provinces and it seems like it could be really powerful, drop some military buildings and develop the military points bit and you can get a tonne of manpower and force limits. I can only assume the others work the same but I tend to only do it when I'm flush in points.

Forts are cool, although could stand to be clearer. Attrition seems really harsh now, I'm normally good at conserving my manpower across multiple wars but its really easy to bottom out now, probably down to having to use huge siege stacks on forts, you'd think it'd balance out with all the 1 month sieges but it doesn't.

Oddly the reformation seems really late, I haven't seen much in the way of +reform desire events compared to normal and Catholic Reform desire is really low for the date, could be a one off or maybe its something that's slipped by unnoticed.

Europe Thunderdome harder is cool. Developments going to be a real bitch outside of Europe though.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

axeil posted:

What did you specifically do? I'd like to try a Poland game where I don't blob everywhere so I can try for the Poland tech achievement and I'm curious how strong you got. Could you go 1v1 against any of the traditional huge powers?

I also saw the high attrition rates, but I think that's probably WAD. It should end up killing a lot of your soldiers if you sit around a castle for a year.

All the buildings now are % based. When you add development that adds a solid number. So a barracks adds 50% manpower. Adding a point in development adds 250 manpower (I don't know the figures off hand). So you can start combining these together and come up with big numbers pretty quick compared to pre-common sense.

There are similar ideas with income and production but I haven't played around with them yet due to not having an excess of admin or diplo points. But if its balanced in the same way you can certainly take say TO + 10 nearby provinces and match an unupgraded Austria in 100-150 years. How much the big AI's will develop though is another question.

How this compares to taking new lands is also more complex based upon how developed they are and how much you'd get out of them based on culture and religion.

What this does mean is you can spend your choice of points on getting bigger and better.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Some sort of "Support Coup" that trashes your Stability\Legitimacy\Prestige\Diplo Rep or some combination in some way but lets you re-roll for a randomly aged monarch would be nice.

I'd also like to chime in and add that Rebels that have an effect on siege complete need to be looked at. Religious rebels that virtually insta convert half your country or separatists that add 10 years of whatever nationalism is called now seem overly harsh. I think some sort of sliding scale or siege and hold for X months would work better, especially as they are (or seem) reluctant to move now as that would lose them their siege.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Freudian posted:

I think if I was naming that Attitude I'd call it like "Fairweather" or something - the two names we've had so far (Cordial and Defensive) have been a bit confusing.

Defensive pact might work. Or even explain it in a pop up.
"Views alliance as a defensive pact"
"Will help you however they can"
"Alliance of convince, fair weather friends"

Type thing. This may already be a thing but I think defensive allies shouldn't call you into all their lovely wars unpess they are willing to go into yours. Unless rivals are involved of course.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Did I read something about being able to take provinces from vassals somehow, or did I misread something? If so, where do I find this?

I had a claim on a vassal and soon after I vassalized them I got an event offering me the province for -70 relations. Also could give up the claim for some sort of boost or just leave things be.

Took it hoping for a free core, it doesn't give you that. So yeah there you go.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The point is, the AI can take a stance of

"Sure I'll help defend you from these other dicks, but no I wont help you take over all your neighbors and become your attack dog."

The player can't. I'd like to be able to have a similar stance, "sure Milan, I'll protect you from Austria, but no, I'm not going to do all the heavy lifting so you can take over all northern Italy."

We should be able to turn down offensive calls to arms without penalty just like the AI. Or let the AI know somehow we are not interested (so it doesn't decide to launch an attack against France thinking we're going to join in an do all the work).

Also, I noticed a bug the other day, if you attack someone and their ally is showing as unwilling to join you cannot tick the co-belligerent box. Which is fine apart from when the fuckers join the war anyway.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Back To 99 posted:

I was wondering how much of the nation specific events and decisions you are missing out on by playing a custom nation. Anyone have a clue approximately how much of that there is?

Depends on the nation. Some get lots like, Poland, England, Ottomans etc some get bugger all like most of the tiny nations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Id like to see humiliate as a war goal avaliable on any nation but with the rewards scaling to bugger all from some tiny opm no threat ally to like now from your rivals (and maybe like france if your much smaller). Same cost.

There should also be a "gently caress you buddy" cb thats always available vs a rival. Make it double cost for everything like taking territory or releasing but 50 or 75% cost for humiliate and similar (forced access or forced transfer of trade).

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Fuligin posted:

So what's the strategy for a TO start? It's 1459 and I'm boxed in between allied Pommerania, Brandenburg, and Poland-Lithuania.

I allied Austria and used them as a hammer against poland Lithuania. Also snagged muscowy a bit later.

You can join hre straight off which is nice for expanding west.

Also remember when you form prussia you leave the hre but if brandenburg exists you vassalize them.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Im playing an Austria game at the moment and can confirm its harder to perma keep the emporership at the start but then gets easier after 50-100 years when you're properly settled and always have high prestige etc.

I can easily see the ai loving it up.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire. I hover over all the electors and they all show I'm at like -1100 and they list how much they like or hate everyone else, but not why. When I play in the HRE I never have any idea why anyone becomes emperor or why anyone votes for anyone so I end up ignoring it.

-1000 is always because you are ineligible usually because of government type, maybe religion.

The -100 is just they don't like you. If you leave the mouse on them for a while it should say a breakdown. Like -50 heretic, +50 royal marriage etc.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Alliances and royal marriage help a lot. Always be improving relations you have a spare diplomat for a reason. Legitimacy helps so dont tank it. Watch your diplo rep annexing vassals early hurts before you get your bonuses to it. Be careful when you pass reforms as it tanks authority, doing it with a 70 year old ruler and tight election is not a good plan.

Also watch your ae and oe.

First few are hardest then you should basically be perma emporer.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

As Austria I find it preferable to let them leave.

If you pu Bohemia and Hungary when italy leaves the hre you have a nice new area to expand into full of rich but weak nations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The non dominant force (so Protestant) has to delcare war. If theu don't within x years (25?) then the Catholics win by default.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Around 25 years I think. Based on it being a round number likely to be picked and recently happening to me in what seemed like that amount of time.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I had pretty good success with austria (so i had a bonkers dip rep) by force releasing opms in wars then offeing free city status.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Maybe make the cost take into account total development instead of only province development so a opm or 3pm etc can get hella tall but you don't also see france full of 50 dev provinces.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

So decided the Hansa all (only) trade provines sounded like a fun challenge. Anyone fancy musing on strategy? Grabing lubek's first seems easy and logical when denmark gets itself bonned. After that though? Baltic should be doable but then its burgundy/austria/france/england so there seems to be missing a sensible middle phase.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Shayu posted:

A limited war goal option would do would be to serve to clutter up the interface and add complexity without any content. Also, the ticking war goal serves as a way for wars to be limited to a specific goal, things outside that goal are typically more expensive, especially with early game CB's. So most wars aren't even existential fighting, the AI will usually peace out after a year or two of fighting if you're just going for what the war is declared for.

The problem is that year or two of fighting will include enough battles to drain nearly every participant of man power, near bankrupt 3 countries and utterly sink 4 navies. All to defend some off culture, off religion, 5 development poo poo hole not even connected to their main holdings.

Thats the problem. Now if you want to take something valuable that will destabilise the region and people already think your a dick that may be an appropriate response the problem is that it's the only response.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Every point or every upgrade? Because ~50 monarch points is not really worth 2.4 ducats per year. In fact I would happily take the opposite trade if offered.

So 2.4 gold * 390ish years is what 850ish for 50 of the worst monarch points.

Hmm i started this with the intent to prove you wrong but in many games i would take that too.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I would suggest England as a great newbie start. With the caveat of as soon as france declares on you give them all your europen territory back.

Your navy should be more than good enough to keep you safe while you learn wtf. You have ireland and scotland to beat up in easy early wars (scotland may be slightly tough). You get some interesting but not horrible early disasters. Can then chill and try out exploration and colonisation both in the americas and asia while getting involved in continental wars on an 'as you please' basis.

Also trade.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Not for france. Ally castile and use them to take a moon shaped slice out of aragon. Note the two trade bonus provinces in the genoa node. You want those.

Ally castile. Use them to beat on england. Then aragon while mopping up your minors and taking shots at burgundy when appropriate then start working on savoy and northern italy ensuring you take genoa and florences trade provinces.

At some point 100% Austria and release stryia. Expect castile to turn on you when they realise they want your half of aragon. Poland will happily be your buddy forever. Sweden makes a good ally if they get swole.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

So has anyone else found it impossible to take certain HRE provinces? In a current game with burgundy, let all me ae slide to 0. Took friesland which the owner had improved the hell out of. Instant 70 ae with entire hre. Not sure of a way around this?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Wasn't a free city at the time, they also owned berg and another non-contiguous province. Friesland was over 30 developmemt though. Not sure on how to fix it really but maybe some kind of cap on ae from a single province? I was in around 1530 and taking that one province (or utrecht which was similar) basically means a 250k man coalition forming.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yashichi posted:

Take different land. The high development plus the HRE penalty means you will get an insane coalition of Germans basically guaranteed. The AE caps at 30 development already, it's just in a bad area. Alternatively, disband the HRE and then take the province.

Yeah just wanted to form The Netherlands and have a fairly quiet game as Ie never done that before. Ahh well.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

skasion posted:

You usually shouldn't be getting coalitioned for taking one Low Countries province at a time, as long as you take only one at a time and bleed off that AE opinion malus between conquests. Forming the Netherlands is not something you can rush and it can be massively annoying if the emperor decides to make Utrecht free or whatever.

Shouldn't but does. Had to abandon one game after rushing and taking glere and utrecht at the same time so intentionally ensured I had 0 ae with anyone before I moved to take friesland. Gave something like 35 ae but doubled for all the hre to 70.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

The only time I did Burgundy -> Netherlands, it was way easier to culture swap and become HRE & add myself than it was to slowly erode it from the outside. IIRC HRE AE is lower (but still above normal) if it's an internal war. Plus going Diplo/Influence helps you annex those stupid PUs a little faster.

Swap to what? Dutch? Does that work or are you still to big these days? Assume you have to sell stuff to vassels, nevers?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

cool and good posted:

Do you have a claim and did you declare war on Friesland directly/co-belligerize them?

I think you guys have hit the nail on the head they were a non-co-belligerent as I was allied to Austria so didnt want to lose that and give france an opening. Didnt realise it made a difference.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Its still there now an option when you start a game. It pops up at you so you cant get it wrong.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

You know that might be a nice silly little addition. A bunch of stats at the end of the game. Not much computational overhead either. Just things like you spent 5000 admin points on coreing territory. 3974 diplo on development you killed 573823 soldiers you lost 6863 soldiers you colonised 50 provinces and so on.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Does the vassal cut off for cheap cores still work? (Ala ottos release syria for cheap africa?)

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah I thin rebels have to siege either x% of country they want to release territory or its natural capital makes more sense than we sieged a tiny island and didnt move now we can enforce our will on an entire empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Is their general name Marlon Brando?

• Locked thread