Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

genericnick posted:

At least they should fix autonomy jumping to 0 on connection.

It's also a Ming buff because the fake autonomy floor means that even if Ming peasants or particularists enforce their demands the autonomy won't actually go over 50%. Autonomy boosts from events and rebels are applied to the real autonomy, not the autonomy floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Node posted:

To you and everyone else suggesting Exploration first, why? It's going over my head. Between that and getting expansion as my fifth idea, I easily colonized Siberia all the way to the ocean, and some of the Spice Islands too.

Can't colonize what you can't see, and you need explorers for that

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

VDay posted:

There are some discovered uncolonized lands next to Russia (well, technically Perm) that they can colonize, which will be discovered at some point after they turn into provinces. Plus Russia's colonist NI also makes it so territories are discovered as soon as you colonize, which lets them expand into Siberia without having to take Expansion or Exploration if you really want to. Russia pretty much gets free reign of Siberia/northern Asia.

Oh I know you can get northern Asia without Exploration, I was just referring to moving south into the Pacific because he specifically mentioned the Spice Islands. You need explorers for those, unless you wait for the rest of Europe to get there first.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My latest hands-off game yielded some pretty interesting results.

Which minor ate Ming? And holy poo poo that Commonwealth, also Russia being murdered in the crib and nobody taking Siberia just like God intended. Also it seems, at least from my 3-4 games, that a few things always happen post-CS, including:

Tabarestan getting swole, and Persia being unimpressive
Korea going straight north
Scandinavia forming

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A story:

I am AI Austria. Human Russia has been my best friend and closest ally for almost 200 years. They've answered all my calls to arms, helped fight against existential threat France, kept my rival the Ottomans weak, and apart from the unpleasant Lithuanian business have made absolutely no moves into Europe. They've even dedicated a diplomat to do nothing but hang out in Wien and be friendly. Now the year is 1720 and despite having like 2 coastal provinces, a single-digit naval force limit, and absolutely no colonizing ideas, I'm going to click the mission to establish myself in the spice islands. It gives me claims on all Russian holdings in the area, instantly rockets me to negative relations, and so I break my alliance and declare a new rival.

But seriously gently caress that mechanic. It's so stupid and arbitrary. It could probably be easily fixed by preventing you from getting claims if you're allied to the nation in question. And how is Austria just magically getting a ton of claims in Western-held land that they have no real ability to get to?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Depends on the tech level of you and surrounding countries, but I normally don't see it take more than a year or two. No idea if hiring all old tech mercs and disbanding them refills the pool with new tech. Worth a try though!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I don't understand the Spread the Revolution CB that all revolutionary targets get on all monarchies. There's no option to, you know, actually spread the revolution. I wish there was a force Religion-style demand that would actually unseat the monarch and install a revolutionary republic. Maybe give them crazy unrest to increase the chances of a flip back to monarchy.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vassals :cripes: took some land from Majapahit to release Sunda, released Sunda, clicked the button to force the Sikh religion on them, only after all their provinces were occupied did I notice that they somehow had no legitimacy? They also didn't take any of the good Hindu/Sikh decisions so they just immediately collapsed back into Majapahit. Great job guys!

The only blemish in my Animist->Hindu->Sikh Ternate game though, ripped through all of Borneo and most of Malacca by 1510. So incredibly overpowered.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Goddamn Malacca having Defender of the Faith...the gently caress do you care if some shithole horde far to the north-west gets merc'd by capitalist Russians? Now my colonization of South-east Asia is going to be put at risk every time I conquer in Central Asia because the Malaccans are going to seize my colonies then.

That's a funny way to look at having a free CB on some of the richest trade ports in the world.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So I'd never played Austria before this patch and I tried to remedy that by forming the HRE in beta 1.13, but the whole Emperor interface is really annoying to use in a way that doesn't seem like it's intended to be. Reforms are partially about legitimacy and HRE opinion but the big question is whether or not you're overextended or if you've annexed a vassal and have that modifier. If you're rocking the "annexed vassal" -3 diplo rep modifier, you essentially have no chance of passing a reform regardless of anything else, even if that vassal wasn't even part of the HRE. Overextension, even if it's only like 15% OE, is still enough to cause everyone to vote against reforms.

Granted, I've made a lot of mistakes in this game. Not in terms of getting big, because I've done well, but reforms aren't passing quickly enough (and my heir only got a 1 in admin, so that torpedoed a lot of plans). Also for whatever reason the Hapsburgs are firing blanks and the godless Wittelsbachs are spreading like wildfire. It seems like the only way to successfully reform the HRE is to vassal swarm, avoid taking anything directly, and try to time vassal integration so that it happens immediately after passing a reform. You also can't pass reforms at war, so timing is key. I had a lot of success this game with beating Venice up at the start, and I think next time I'll also try to carve a hole through Hungary to start vassal feeding in the Bosnia area to avoid European AE. If I get lucky I'll save enough admin to get Religious ideas in time, but I don't even know if that will help now that there's that dumb Religious Zeal modifier.

Has anyone played Austria lately? I don't feel like I have a solid plan, and some practical experience would be appreciated.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I take that event every time, free republic! Don't worry about the stability, just submit and then you can switch government types to another republic if you no longer want to live in Renaissance-era Terry Gillian's Brazil

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ayutthaya's not bad, just try and manage your northern vs. southern AE. Try and be diplomatic with the northern conquests (maybe move slowly, let the Lan Na/Xang/Pegu/Hsenwi/friends thunderdome happen, and then vassalize someone that has a lot of cores to retake) and for the love of God don't piss off Ming. Be as aggressive as you want with the south, but it's all wrong religion and you may have to go Religious ideas first if that's your plan. If they coalition you, kill them again. Some heavies to block the Malaccan strait would really help, and you'll need some kind of naval power anyway for when you start kicking Brunei. You do get a bonus 20% religious unity for your national ideas, but unfortunately most of your ideas aren't great. As soon as you gain control of the Malaccan trade node you're set for life on income, so prioritize the important centers of trade.

You're buddhist (the worst kind of buddhist, although I wouldn't recommend switching unless you're really into Vajrayana's 10% army morale) so you'll have to deal with that pain-in-the-rear end karma slider. Honestly I tried to manage it for a long time but finally gave up and just pegged it at -100%. It gives you -10% discipline but with an advisor and some good ideas you can at least get back to 100%. I recommend offensive both for the discipline and because when you finally take Ming on, you're going to want that siege ability because they have a million forts.

The Ayutthaya achievement is for owning all of Indochina as Ayutthaya, and if Ming explodes spectacularly it isn't a very hard challenge. Getting started, sure, but once you blob sufficiently you'll be fine. If Ming becomes a +3 stab monster and never loses the Mandate, as they have in all my games since CS, you may be in for a rough time if they take a few provinces required for the achievement. Find whatever friends you can - I allied Oirat, who never really did much. You could take Defensive, use your income to build a ton of forts, and then let them lose all their guys to attrition. If you can't flat-out beat them, that's probably the best way to do it. If you want to be cheesy, land some guys on that three-province island near Canton, wait for Ming to send a 50-stack to take care of them, and then block the strait with your navy.

After you get the achievement I recommend you ensure your majority culture is Malaccan, shift your capital to Malacca, form Malaya for the achievement, and then go west and try and accomplish That's a Silk Road :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Quick stupid question, since I don't play in Europe much: I am not in the HRE, Burgundy is in the HRE, in the "Declare War" box Austria (the emperor) is checked as a co-belligerent but the two are rivals and Austria has the big red X next to them. The declare war box says "Austria is the emperor, and will protect them!" So... is Austria going to join the war, or not?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

LLSix posted:

For Allies it looks like both Muscovy and Persia could be of help if you can get them onside.

You can start hiding your armies in Madagascar so you don't lose them. Once you catch up in tactics tech you can counter-attack after attrition and war-exhaustion have taken their toll. If you're losing every battle, there's not much point of having your troops guarding the border, that's just more warscore lost. Go ahead and expand in the other direction.

Honestly, that's a terrible situation; I don't think I'd have the guts to try and turn it around.

If you consider that a terrible Prester John scenario then I don't know what you'd consider a good one; the Ottomans are nearly always that powerful and unless you want to keep rolling games until the one where the Europeans beat them you're stuck with them as an endboss. Thankfully like TomEmanski posted you can completely wear down their manpower in the southern Suez areas - build forts, keep forts maintained, scorch earth when available. Make the Ottomans bleed money and manpower and sooner or later the Europeans will pick up the slack on punching them. You're Christian, and the closer you get to Europe the more likely it is that you'll be able to score some cherry alliances. Poland and Lithuania seem like good choices. If the distance modifier is still a little much, try taking Cyprus/Rhodes/Malta (if they're independent, it's hard to tell from that picture).

Remember, ultimately you only need two provinces from the Ottomans - Constantinople and Antioch. Those are worth a combined 41% warscore in my early 1500s game. You can get them in a single (apocalyptic, total) war.

Also thanks for posting your stuff in the thread, it saves us from Quantitychat and gives us interesting things to talk about. I'd post mine except mine is an extremely boring England/Great Britain game in which I go for that achievement where you win 10 parliament debates. Oh, I got One Night in Paris and now France no longer exists - that's kind of neat, I guess!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.
- Reduced Karma loss for starting offensive wars from -25 to -10.

Hahahaha oh man I really like these changes, I think after the patch hits I'm going to start as Nepal, take over some Vajrayana land, convert to Vajrayana Buddhism Best Buddhism and play world police. Ideally I could culture switch to Tibetan and form Tibet for the Theocracy, but I think Tibet's one of the formable nations that overwrites your ideas, and why start as Nepal if you're going to abandon those ludicrous ideas?

- At least 50 AE is now required for a country to join a coalition (up from 30)
- Taking provinces from a large country now reduces AE generated by up to 50% (uses the same scaling as increased AE for taking provinces as a large country, so a country taking provinces from an equal sized country gets neither a bonus nor a penalty regardless of size).
- AI: Will now generally avoid taking provinces when doing so would result in an undefeatable coalition.

So basically no coalitions ever?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah if the Ottotams take Wien or something then I think most of Europe probably should drop what they're doing and get it back (or try to anyway). I think the AE changes in this patch are a good move, but we'll see how it plays out in-game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If your African/Asian capital isn't close enough to lower autonomy below 75%, Granada could potentially make better use of the land than you. Plus they're a Muslim nation that takes Exploration ideas, so that could be kind of a fun sideshow.

Incidentally the patch notes talk about a bug with vassal force limit contributions - anyone know more about that?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On the other hand if an HRE nation's too big for its britches you can declare war, bring a nearby ally in, transfer occupation to them and after the war if they cede unlawful territory then presto, big nation gets disassembled for no diplo/AE cost on your part.

If they don't cede territory then, uh, you have a bigger ally?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well if yarkand is propping up Delhi then just wait, steppe hordes can't keep up with your tech. If Ming exploded then you're crazy lucky anyway so you should be fine, but in the meantime probably just find a smaller ally of the big guys (Vijay in particular) and beat them up. Make the big guy break their alliances and go to town.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

There's also a nice little burning building icon next to the province development bars. Wonder what that's for :frogsiren:

I guess also it's a thing now that all stacks will give you tenths, so in that picture instead of having a 15k stack he has a 15.0k stack

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm really hoping that the horde revamp also means a China revamp. Hard to tell since there's no pictures in the dev diary of that area.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Remember also that even if you don't get the original Sikh event, you can still convert as a Hindu, you just have to do so via the "convert religion" button on your Religion screen. And yeah Sikh is hell of fun to play, you get some crazy missionary strength decisions that you can stack with your old Hindu missionary strength decisions.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You gave the ottomans back one of their cores from qara at presumably a dip point cost to yourself. What were you even thinking was going to happen

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A White Guy posted:

My successful Bengal Tiger run.

Yeah Bengal is almost kind of a mini-Ottoman empire as far as scenario goes, complete with crazy bonus religious unity and a manpower modifier. They rarely get serious unrest and as you said they can expand in almost any direction. They're a great option for people looking to break out of the standard European game.

Even so, vassal strats are the way to go for that achievement. Coring the entire Indian subcontinent takes a terrifying amount of diplo points.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gort posted:

I pretty much always just raise autonomy on anything I capture. gently caress dealing with rebels if all it takes is a month before they put some lovely modifier like +10 years of separatism on a province.

Yeah but if the revolt risk base is over like 15% then they're going to revolt anyway, so all you're doing is losing a significant chunk of change over a long period of time in order to delay the inevitable. Also separatism modifiers aren't applied if the province is within a fort's zone of control, so oftentimes it's better to resist the temptation to raise autonomy.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Aragorn.

Also, I hate to sound like the worlds worst euiv player but France is a little more difficult to start nowadays, as I'm sure anyone who has big blue blob can tell you - if you get too aggressive too quick you can really end up paying for it. Burgundy in particular can be a deceptively strong opponent.

So I guess in that sense it's a great tutorial for teaching new players about aggressive expansion and rival mechanics!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TorakFade posted:

If your army gets routed within the first phase of combat it leads to a wipe, I believe. This most often happens when they're at 0 morale for obvious reasons, but can also happen if you're severely outnumbered / very unlucky with your first roll in bad terrain and against a good commander.

The max morale (not current morale) of an army determines how much morale damage they inflict, so make sure you pay attention to the opposing force's morale because especially in the early game if they out-morale you too much they'll start stackwiping your units left and right.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You yesman'd didn't you

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Also pretty wrongheaded to say that the religious CB isn't adding much that you don't already have

What, like a free CB against any non-orthodox neighbor (basically all of them) that you unlock really early on?

Also, the one extra missionary from religious is way more useful than the conversion strength (given you only start with one, two as dotf), at least until you start grabbing holy sites. Twice as many conversions is the big deal compared to somewhat faster conversions, especially since like that guy pointed out you get more missionary strength later on anyway. And it's the second idea in the group!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Carrier posted:

I feel like muscovy/russia strats are the only thing discussed in this thread sometimes jesus. I've never had any inclination to play them, but it seems im in the minority.

Not that anyone cares about whatever you're trying to say with that last sentence, but the thread also moves in waves and usually a bunch of people are talking about whatever start is popular at the moment. Russia/Muscovy chat is popular because they're an interesting start accessible to almost anyone, but before that it was Venicechat and we had some good discussion about Ternate and Ayutthaya. Maybe post a start that you're interested in and get some other people to play along?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

LLSix posted:

What should my first idea as Poland be?

I'm hoping to expand SE towards India primarily and clean up my Baltic borders during downtime. Muscovy got smart and lucky enough to take the hordes apart one by one so I'm not real eager to fight with them. I'm thinking of maybe jumping them when they finally attack Novgorod since they're allied to Hungary and its the only way to get to fight Hungary without also fighting all of Western Europe.

I'm torn between admin, religious/humanist, or maaaybe influence for the boost to income from Lithuania.

That sounds about right to me. I can't even consistently get a Byz game going. Arumba has a whole video series as the knights, you could try cribbing ideas from that. One thing that might help is that Austria only rivals Venice about half the time at the start. It shouldn't take too many restarts to get one where Austria doesn't rival Venice but the PLC does rival Ottomans.

Make sure you keep an eye on what ideas Lithuania takes, if you plan on giving them a ton of land then clicking the Commonwealth button then make sure you have a plan if they took Humanist and the RR skyrockets once you take over. They also get a lot of tolerance and -unrest national ideas and they probably won't bother to convert any land you give them, so have a plan for that too. Commonwealth doesn't get any tolerance or -unrest until you unlock their ambition, and even then it's only 3 tolerance for heretics. If you're going to Asia, then you'll have a bunch of heathen land with the Islamic penalty to conversion and no -revolt risk at all. Plus, if you do it right then the Deus Vult CB will be a huge help down there. So I'd say go Religious.

Plus, if you're going to click the Commonwealth button, then you probably don't have to worry about Admin ideas, at least in the short term.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yashichi posted:

This thread just went through a phase where every other post was about becoming merchant republic Byzantium. It's highly inconsistent when you can form the Mughal republic but republican government for Italy is special and impossible

Just make it so that it works like the revolution and every monarchy in Europe gets a CB against republics, or at least king-level republics, after a certain period :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

We had American Croatia/Belgium and Mexican North Africa in one of the EG games last month. It feels so ridiculous to do stuff like that.

And just think, with the Cossacks expansion they'll actually be named those things

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

France is a deceptively hard start because they can overextend themselves very quickly. It's tempting to try to punch in all directions at once but you can get dog piled, especially by burgundy, who are in a better position than you'd think. Best advice for France: unless you're going for big blue blob, just slow down and take it easy for a while.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That was a hard-fought Timurids to Mughals run, Delhi ended up crazy big and got an alliance with the Ottomans and it took a while to find a weakness. But then I did, took all the provinces I needed, clicked the button, and enjoyed the soothing new color. Then I promptly quit when I saw all my claims on India, which I just knew were going to expire before I got to use a lot of them, and remembered that in Cossacks they'll be permanent claims.

Timurids are a good start for a mid-level player, because you really have to keep an eye on your stability. Low religious unity, not a lot of development and rebels of drat near every flavor mean that you're only a few dice rolls away from REBELS EVERYWHERE. Your ruler is 1/1/1, his heir is 1/1/1, and they're both like 50 years old. Plus you get an event a little while in that raises the unrest in every Shia province by 10%. No wonder the Timurids end up exploding in pretty much every CS game I play. Oh, and you can't ally the Ottomans because they're ~historical rivals~. Whatever.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Antti posted:

What idea group should I pick next? I finally have a couple of vassals in Northern India that I can probably use for province feeding and so I could spare the ADM points for something like Expansion.

A DIP idea group is not out of the question either but I doubt I'll go so hog wild on vassals that Influence would be worth it.

I wanna westernize at some point so a way into Africa would be nice. A snake through the ME and the Ottomans sounds incredibly tedious.

Military is right out because after Quantity my number one concern is technological parity.

Do whatever you want, you've basically won already so unless you specify a goal of some kind this is like asking for advice on clicking "one more turn" in Civ games after you've wiped everyone else out.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I sort of appreciate playing a naval power, because it makes the game into much more of a logistics simulator where you're setting up little timetables in your head all the time. I wish it were easier to keep track of when poo poo got to a destination though.

Oh man, like if armies and fleets had destinations and ETAs on the right hand infobar

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Star posted:

Anyone have any tips regarding Prester John? My neighbors and the Arabian peninsula are easy to beat, so is the Mamluks but I get eaten alive by the Ottomans, even with Spain as my ally. Bide my time? Avoid them and gobble upp Africa first?

Once you take Mamluk land you'll get access to the Mediterranean, so do the time-honored strategy of parking 200 galleys in the strait and bottle up the Ottoman troops in Europe.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Personally I don't usually take Humanist or Religious on most nations, autonomy and the new revolt system plus changes to how missionary strength is affected by development in CS make it pretty easy to manage unless you're monster blobbing into off-religion territory. Then you want Religious.

Edit: like, the +3% Missionary Strength is not the most attractive part of Religious. It's great but I would say what's most valuable there are the first two ideas, that amazing blanket CB (assuming you're a minority religion it's fantastic) and +1 Missionary. Most nations/religions can cobble together some decent missionary strength, it's the extra missionary that's hugely valuable if you're expanding rapidly.

The missionary is especially valuable if you're one of the non-Christian/Muslim religions ineligible for DotF and bonus missionaries from Mecca and Jerusalem.

The rest is just gravy.

+1 missionary is huge, it's way better than the +3% missionary strength for all but those few high-development provinces. But even for those you have the advisor and mission rewards.

Anyway if you're really monster blobbing you want to LOWER autonomy, you'll be at war often enough that autonomy won't lower naturally. If the revolt risk is 10%, then it may as well be 20%, because they're going to revolt anyway and when they do you'll get a -20% revolt risk. You can either raise autonomy and get no rebels, or lower autonomy and get rebels, but then you'll only have to fight a 12-stack or two for effectively 50% less autonomy across all affected provinces. That's huge. Plus, as DDRJake showed off in his latest stream, that too can be gamed - say you grab half of Crimea and Lithuania grabs the other half. If you get Crimean rebels, they'll siege your provinces first, but then they'll cross the border and the AI will fight them for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

One thing that bugs me is that the Spread the Revolution CB doesn't actually let you spread the revolution. It's conquer the traditional way, just a lot easier.

It's very counterintuitive. It really ought to have a force religion-style option where if the total warscore cost is low enough you can replace whatever monarchy with a revolutionary republic.

I realize that this would take very little time to cover the world in revolutionary republics, but it would be extremely funny once.

• Locked thread