Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jazerus posted:

Well it's basically a symptom of DDRJake's disinterest in figuring out what his provinces are good at and making them better at that, which makes him bad at buildings, development, and estates. I dunno if he just thinks that's boring to watch and it's intentional when he has an audience or what, but other than slapping down the clergy to speed up conversion times he never gives anything to his estates unless he has to even when the bonuses of, say, giving a high trade province to the merchants obviously outweigh the 25% autonomy. :shrug:

I can imagine how difficult it is for all these guys to stream EUIV though, there's a delicate balance between keeping the pace up, being thorough, and also occasionally reading/responding to twitch chat. As much as I hate to watch monarch points go green font, I'd also hate it if the streamer was pausing every four seconds to crosscheck all their numbers.

The thing I hate about DDRJake is that for all his disinterest in optimizing, he still manages to do things like take over Europe as Nevers on his first go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Nobody posted the latest EU4 dev diary, I wonder w-

This game is dead to me now.

I feel like this would be a huge slog, although being able to form it as a pagan is a neat touch.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just blew a really promising Ceylon start (ate the entire southern half of India) by provoking and turning on Bahmanis (the northern half) too early. I don't know why I always forget how dangerous Bahmanis is, they have great troops from their army tradition/Shia morale and they have enough money to run all mercs all forcelimit all the time. I think the problem is I wasn't fast enough to grab the coastline from Orissa and got bottled in.

edit: oh what the hell, i had a great start going, declared on Venad to get their ally Vijay in during a truce timer. While everyone made a beeline for my territory Kochin swooped in and annexed Venad, meaning somehow Vijay became the warleader for the defense of a territory belonging to a neutral party and got to call in all their friends.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 3, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I still don't understand the purpose of unbalanced tech penalties. I always want to be ahead on miltech and I don't care about diptech. They're punishing the symptom, but they really ought to be addressing the cause, and now I just have to pay a few extra ducats. Why even bother?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Well, juggling where I fight helps. After beating up Provence a bit, I went to war with Burgundy so long that I got half their poo poo. Too bad the Emperor Palatinate got the other half. Now I'm trying to the get the last of my poo poo from England and so far the HRE gives no poo poo if I do that or gently caress with Provence and Brittany.

Guess starting slower at first then being a dick in different directions is the key.

Also being an rear end in a top hat and jumping people when half of their poo poo is already occupied.

Bad achievement suggestion: as Emperor Palatinate, have your ruler die in battle to revolutionary rebels

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Or just make Vicky 3 (please)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

whoever took over as their UI guy is making a huge mess with the design

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

It's not an either-or situation though. You can use war to extract huge amounts of gold + land from rivals, which lets you build some gold-producing buildings, which let you maintain a larger army, which lets you better extract huge amounts of gold + land from rivals. Saving up a big gold reserve can be helpful, but a better income helps you do that.

Gold-producing buildings are what you should build right after a war in order to prepare for the next war.

Or fight a war with somebody else and take all their money in the process. A big gold reserve at the beginning of the war is worth way more than a bunch of buildings that haven't paid themselves off yet, and by the time they would have otherwise paid themselves off I now own a bunch of land that makes up for it. So forth and so on until the game ends. I get what you're trying to say but do you really have any evidence that playing a tall game in EUIV is an effective strategy compared to playing wide?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't know why the screenshot comes out like that. It's actually crisp, not blurry. The screenshot looks like I took a picture with an unsteady hand. But in any case, I love the style.

I'm the 4-digit treasury number that only takes up half the available space

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Does this apply to developing provinces containing gold mines? I'm super new and double-super retarded so I like specifics :shobon:

Paradox found a bug where spending development on gold provinces might actually be a good use of the development mechanic, and corrected it. The higher the development level, the higher chance for your gold mine to deplete.

the euiv wiki posted:

As of Patch 1.15, Gold producing provinces with a production development of over 1 now have a yearly chance to become depleted (halving gold production). At Production development level 2 the depletion chance is 0.01% yearly, higher development levels have higher chances (lv3 has 0.04%, lv4 has 0.07%, lv5 has 0.12%, etc...). Each depletion reduces the province's Goods Produced by half (effectively halving the ducat value of gold produced). The player can see the current chance of depletion by hovering over the production development increase button on the province panel.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

+1 mil point over a certain AT threshold is a fun idea. Better than the boring +1 to all MP over 50 power projection anyway, PP is so boring and arbitrary.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jsor posted:

It would be nice if there were a few more ways to get institutions, though I like that it makes paying attention to development something you actually do. Maybe something like "court foreign scholars" where you target a country you have positive opinion with that has embraced the institution, and pay a large number of ducats/mth (or even something like diplo/month). Maybe have other modifiers while doing it like +national unrest because you're spreading those dirty furriner ideas.

"Fund Itinerant Young Noblemen," an option that allows you to subsidize the travels of younger members of your court so they'll bring back foreign ideas

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Started an Ethiopia game. Yeah, it's not bad. Too bad you're gobbling scrub tier provinces left and right and all across Somali. Smh.

Just a little farther south and you punch through into the gold mines and wildly profitable trade nodes though!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Obviously not a true Bowie fan

I would absolutely download and use a mod that changes all the leaders on the loading screens to various Bowie incarnations

Edit: even if it disables achievements

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just getting back into EUIV after a break, apparently I have Cossacks but not Mare Nostrum or Rights of Man. I'm picking up RoM, because hooray CKII-style leader attributes, but MN seems extremely skippable. I watched a few videos and it looks like Condottieri in particular are annoying - are there any awesome can't-miss features in the MN DLC that I'm missing?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Have vassals always been able to reject annexation in the middle of the process? I was at like 600 points out of 1000 and I didn't even get a refund :(

Vassal feeding is kind of a frustrating strategy now - it feels like it's way too easy for liberty desire to balloon up and there's no great way to bring it down again. Once you get to that point, you're just stuck with a couple of disloyal vassals forever with no options other than releasing them as vassals and re-annexing them the hard way. I guess the moral of the story is to take Influence ideas if you want to play the vassal game, because it doesn't even seem possible without them.

And now all these rear end in a top hat rivals have hit dip tech 21 and are keeping me in permanent Sabotage Reputation state, so I can look forward to being -3 dip rep for the rest of the game

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I like the concept a lot, but after playing a few games in the new version I think it's best to revert. I don't think they've given up on overhauling forts, but the system was incredibly counterintuitive and confusing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Man, nothing beats playing a Jianzhou game and watching Ming explode by 1462. I don't even know why they lost the Mandate, but their loss is my gain! Unfortunately I'm behind on Mil tech because I have a 3/1/1 ruler that refuses to die.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Haven't played this bad boy since common sense dropped. Been reading the poo poo out of the wiki but still had some questions and looking for general tips.
Playing france, I used to be able to faily easily diplo-vassalize opm's and little buddies near me. Royal marriage, alliance, gift, get relations up to 200 and they'll generally say yes. In the new system it seems like relations no longer factor in, just our economy difference, military difference, alliance as a flat +10 bonus, and a few other modifiers. What's the best strategy to convince these tiny nations they're stronger together?

I vowed not to buy it at full price but I grabbed the Cossacks and now I have these nobles and clergy and merchants all wanting provinces. Any tips on handling this or just randomly assign poo poo to keep them all happy? Or focus on one? I've been giving the merchants my highest trade power provinces since they give a bonus to that, and nobles my highest manpower provinces, but I don't know what I'm doing for the most part.

Institutions look interesting but it seems like a really hands-off thing that just happens in the background with very minimal player interaction.

I guess corruption is a thing now? And states and cores and territories, that's all new and a bit confusing. Once again, any need to know tips?

Sounds like you know what you're doing with the Estates, just remember to pump them for Monarch points whenever they're not on cooldown. If the clergy are 60-100% loyal they give you +2% missionary strength to any provinces they own, so they can help crack difficult heretic strongholds in addition to -2% unrest and the tax modifier bonus. Keep everything under 80% influence though or you run the risk of Disaster. You can safely ignore Estates with very little risk, but a little bit of management will get you some nice stuff.

Institutions need some more work. In the meantime, it mostly means that non-European powers have the ability to keep at low tech penalty by devoting a lot of MP to development. For example I'm playing Jianzhou/Manchu/Qing and I'm rolling around with 0% tech penalty. In practice it's not a huge thing since most other powers are keeping up with you (and if you intentionally develop provinces to make institutions appear, you're spending a lot of MP that they WON'T have to spend). But it does punish large non-Western powers, because you'll be desperate to embrace institutions as soon as you can and you'll have to spend a whole lot of money to make that happen. But that's fine, because most large non-Western powers have a whole lot of money.

Corruption ticks up for overextension, low religious unity or unbalanced tech. If you let it grow the game will kick you in the balls with lovely events, so just set the slider to full Root Out Corruption, accept that the game will punish you for doing those things, and never think about it again. It's kind of a pointless mechanic and it adds nothing, but there you are. On the other hand, keeping it at zero rewards you with 40 to all monarch points and occasionally some stability. So that's nice.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

What's the intent behind sailors? Is it to put another limit on shipbuilding, like if your navy gets wiped you can't just replace it in a year, even if you have the money for it? Because if so, it's never really come into play for me.

That, and also about a landlocked country not being able to secure a coastal province and immediately pump out a billion heavies. I always assumed the sailors I was hiring for my ships were essentially mercenaries anyway? It was a silly, pointless mechanic and the last thing EUIV needs right now is more of those, so I'm glad they're floating the idea of removing it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Detheros posted:

Oh nice, they even went full Quantity. :shepicide:

Is that Russian green I see up to the north? Make them fight a grinding hell war instead.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Malacca can be a real big problem if they get going. They have high development and almost total control over a great trade node. The new version is a strong buff to them too, because their circumstances let them keep up with Institution spread pretty easily.

It's not too hard to cheese a war with them if you have naval supremacy, though. Just take over the south island and play strait blocking games while you kill their armies one by one.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Humanist is good as Ottomans because they can conquer so fast in so many directions and Humanist pretty much removes revolts from the game. You dont need Religious to convert provinces and taking it just for the CB seems a bit much.

The CB can be pretty great for AE reduction - you're taking some very high-value provinces from some very angry people, and even as the Ottomans, a coalition war can be bad news. It doesn't make any sense that Europe is less angry with you because it's a holy war, but EUIV

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Elman posted:

I wouldn't normally recommend going Humanist first, but for a new player? They're not gonna blob super hard, so they don't need Religion's superior CB (fabricating claims and the Ottomans' missions should be enough), or Administrative's cheaper coring. Managing rebels, however, could be a big problem.

I think it just depends on which problem you want to solve. Rebelsplosion and coalition warfare are both nasty surprises the first time they happen to a new player, and the Ottomans are susceptible to both. I do agree that Humanism is probably the better choice, with the caveat that a new player should always mouse over the aggressive expansion.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

The goal of Switzerlake has to be Switzersnake into Asia.

Switzersnake: Own 100 provinces, none of which border more than two other owned provinces

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

So it's not the game settings "normal" or "historical"?

That feels like it can't be right, it'd mean any nation mods would disable nation forming unless there's some text that specifically makes CK2 conversions not-normal. Which I kinda hope because that'd be much easier to delete than deleting all the lines that specify normal games :v:

EDIT: Yep it's literally just a line in the mod file. Hooray for laziness :toot:

Conversely the CK2 nations aren't marked out as custom nations, so that might have been what the issue was.

That's actually intended behavior. IIRC when the converter first debuted a lot of people were angry that their awesome alt-history European nations were immediately clicking the "Form Nation" button. You can change it in the mod file or just tag switch over in-game and click the button for them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm glad for army tradition and army professionalism to be two entirely different and completely unrelated statistics

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The AI really has no loving idea how to prioritize war targets. Here's me getting my poo poo pushed in by France and Spain in a defensive war for my ally Britain:

Where are the British armies? Literally on the other side of the world, of course.

:thumbsup:

England has never been a good ally in any version of EUIV. Deep in your heart you know that, and that's why you have to abide by the NAPA principle, my friend

Never Ally Perfidious Albion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

oddium posted:

papal state can now raise Archangels in every province of catholic faith. they automatically convert provinces they siege

mesoamericans can recruit llama cavalry. they ignore mountain penalties

england's land units have been replaced by boats. they are boats

Who knew that the latest version of Fall from Heaven would be an EUIV mod?

• Locked thread