Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Well hello there big spender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pretty impressed with AI Riga, Teutonic Order, and Ryazan (killed Muscovy & formed Russia)

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are HRE players using to gain Imperial Authority? I've only been getting a trickle, and there are so many heretics in the Empire that it tends to bleed away fast.

Max out your Free Cities (7), they help stem the bleeding a bit. I basically had to tread water until the league war ended/fizzled in my favor so I could force religious unity and really kick things into gear. Also winning back provinces from non-HRE holders (typical culprits France and Poland).

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Baronjutter posted:

Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

The AI doesn't hesitate to take loans and buy mercs, but yes, their manpower does run out.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Wiz add African minor religions please, I don't want to be "animist" let me be an awesome Voodoo Queen

e: the ideas look really good

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Finished my first Common Sense game and my first HRE run. Started as Bavaria.

Time for something more interesting. Maybe a Tengri Mongol thing.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

SkySteak posted:

What is the best way to be elected Emporer to the HRE? It feels that beyond having good Diplomatic Reputation/Diplomats (and Legitimacy); that it is imperative to have good Prestige or to be allied with the elector. Is there anything more to it then that?

Improve relations with all the electors and avoid AE, too.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Gorelab posted:

Where is it? I haven't been able to find it.

Tiny little checkbox in the province screen.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I've been playing as the Aztecs for the first time and I wanted to say that the Doom mechanic and Mesoamerica in general are really fun. It's a whole different paradigm and it promotes a fun style of gameplay. Good job Pdox.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The government ranks feature is straight out of eu3+

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Nitrousoxide posted:

The emperor should have a max government rank of emperor regardless of whether you are an elector or not.

It was kind of weird to me to be locked in as a Duke of Bavaria when Bavaria had been the most powerful state in Germany for centuries.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quick question - does anyone know if they've added development to the province history files? That is to say, if I start the vanilla game in 1815 will London be the same development it is in 1444?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Funky Valentine posted:

Paradox should throw a Norse or Suomenusko province in Sweden to turn Scandinavia games into Burn Europe to The loving Ground Simulator. And some Romuva provinces split between the Teutonic and Livonian Orders.

While we're fantasizing I would like a CK2 Demon Child-style event chain where your heir believes he is the reincarnation of King Arthur/Julius Caesar, converts to Celtic/Hellenic paganism and Burns Europe To The loving Ground. Get Groogy to code the Hellenic stuff.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Just be ready to restart or savescum a bit because hordes are brittle, brittle things.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, it's all fairly intuitive, and the eu4wiki modding section is helpful for the stuff that isn't. Get Notepad++ so you can find & replace stuff easier.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Fuligin posted:

I want someone to update Azeri mod and the one where Europe is wiped out by plague, please get on it ty.

Looking for anyone to help me update Dark Continent (the latter). Lots of work to do.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah I used to be loan-averse but you really can't Ironman a medium or smaller power without them.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Johan has posted this week's dev diary which features a complete rework of espionage.

Next week: a "look at Africa".

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Bavaria is also a fun gently caress Austria choice.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pretty pleased with the apparent performance of the Ottoman AI in that shot. I've always been disappointed by the EU4 Ottomans.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quill 18 on youtube is doing a decent (if long-winded) tutorial series in Castille, might be worth following along for new players.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Most people like them, despite the Steam reviews. Good features. But maybe wait, a new DLC is coming soon and that usually means all the others will be heavily discounted

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

You should slip in a ridiculous CB that unlocks around 1914 for a big bash at the end.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

CK2 save exports are EU4 mods so you edit them just like any other.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Not sure how useful this is, but my most fun custom nation run was as a Taino High American Dutch Republic starting in Cuba and Hispaniola. Pretty overpowered and silly.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

PleasingFungus posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm having EU3 flashbacks, Bohemia snake is prepped to head for Turkestan

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quill 18 just did a video tutorial series on youtube but with no dlc.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What's up with France blobbing into Iberia all the time lately?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Oh my god barrfffffffff

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

New dev diary, paradox is uh completely overhauling the technology system

Johan posted:

Welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis IV. This time we talk about something that will be in the next major patch we do.

One of the parts of the game that has not changed much since eu1 is the concept of technology groups and technological development around the world. We’ve added concepts like westernising, and tweaked that one, but in the end Europe has a huge advantage from day 1, and lots of fun gameplay options are limited the further away you are.

So this is what will happen in 1.18, when it is released this autumn..

A nation’s technology group no longer affect technology research.

There is now a concept called Institutions, which will affect your technology research. There are seven different institutions that appear over the game, and if you don’t get them to spread into your country and then get embraced by your government, your technology costs will slowly rise.

Each institution will appear in a province fullfilling certain factors, and then slowly spread around the world. The nation owning that province will gain prestige and monarch power.

Every year the penalty for not having embraced an institution will grow by 1%, so there is a gradual process.

When an institution has spread to at least 10% of your development, you can embrace it in your government, removing the penalty permanently, and also giving a bonus to your nation. The cost to embrace depends on the amount of development in your nation without the institution.

All institutions spread over borders (including 1 seazone away), if relations are positive, and the spread is based on development in the province getting it. There are also lots of other factors related to the spread.

So which are the the seven institutions then?

Feudalism
This is present from the start in almost all the world, except among the hordes, new world and sub-saharan africa. It will slowly spread into neighboring lands, but it is not quick.
Bonus: Gives 1 extra free leader.
Penalty: 50%

Renaissance
This appears in Italy after 1450, in either a capital or a 20+ development province. It will spread quickly through high development in europe, particularly through italy, but can only spread into provinces that have feudalism already.
Bonus: 5% Cheaper Development & 5% Cheaper Buildings
Penalty: 20%

Colonialism
Appears after 1500 in a port province in Europe, who’s owner has the Quest of the New World idea, and have discovered the new world. And will spread very quickly through any port in countries with colonies.
Bonus: +10% Provincial Trade Power

Printing Press
This arrives after 1550, most likely in germany, but can happen in any protestant or reformed province. It will spread quickly in Protestant and Reformed territory, but also into capitals with dip tech 15.
Bonus: 5& Cheaper Stability

Global Trade
This arrives after 1600, in a center of trade in the highest value trade node, and will spread quicker into provinces with trade buildings.
Bonus: +1 Merchant

Manufactories
This arrives after 1650 in a province with 30 development and a manufactory, and will spread quicker into provinces with manufactories.
Bonus: +10% Goods Produced

Enlightenment
Arrives after 1650 in a province that either is a seat of a parliament, or is a province in europe owned by a monarch with at least 5 in all stats. Universities & Parliament Seats spread this institution.
Bonus: 25% Cheaper Culture Conversion
Penalty: 30%

What does this mean?

The progress of Europe is not guaranteed, but most importantly, a nation in Asia or Africa is no longer crippled from day 1, and forced to avoid spending power on ideas and development.

------

We’re constantly tweaking the spread factors, but here are some screenshots from mid 18th century in a hands-off game from this morning.

This is the institutions mapmode, where green are provinces that have all the enabled institutions, and yellow are don’t have them all.

And here is the technology mapmode, of the same game.

Some other aspects that has changed include the following
- New World Native Reforming will give you all institutions that the one you reform from has.
- Trade Companies are available to all technology groups.
- Lots and lots of triggers on western techgroups have been changed to check for specific relevant institutions.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What is that? It's definitely new to me.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The other pro tip for an Aztec run is to dump most of the MPs you'd normally spend on tech into developing your provinces.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Being able to dump the starting Habsburg heir will make Hungary more fun too.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'm gonna try a Bavaria run. That and the Palatinate are underrated fun imo.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

So what should I be doing as a New World nation to try to get institutions? Do I have to wait for the Europeans or will something pop up if I focus on development?

e: developed stuff, it worked

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 14, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Elman posted:

Second Aztec attempt report: things are going better.

I'm so used to blobbing it's hard to stop myself and realize when I shouldn't. Colonizing slowly, keeping my advisors at +3 constantly and not starting stupid wars for Brazil helped a lot. Slow and steady wins the race.

I also managed to snipe Lisboa without occupying any Spanish mainland provinces. I think it was cause Portugal was Spain's PU partner. I couldn't take land from Spain but I could take Portuguese provinces no problem, forts be damned. Is that a bug?

Here's my Inca game from the same year for comparison.

Falling behind a bit, need to save up the $ to embrace Manufactories

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Man, I've tried a Manchu-Qing run a couple of times and always get stomped by Ming or Korea 40 or 50 years in. How do people do it?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Sometimes you just gotta take a few loans, go over your force limits with mercs, and bet on making up the cost in spoils of war. Learning that it's okay to just go hard on loans really changed how I play

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This game needs a better way to model the Wars of the Roses and similar internal conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Do the devs still take national idea sets from the community? Or is that just something I imagined? I have enough research on the Choctaws to put something together to replace the generic native ideas they have now.

• Locked thread