Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I think the bug where the AI doesn't understand alliances is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Vaxan posted:

Is there a bug associated with autonomy when releasing nations? Bohemia annexed Silesia and later on was forced to release it. Silesia capital province had 0 autonomy and its two other provinces where at 75%.

Capitals always have 0% autonomy, and the other provinces kept the 75% they were set to after annexation

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Trujillo posted:

I made the mistake of westernizing so now I'll have to core all this since I can't make vassals in India anymore. Can you diplo-annex client states?

Yes, they're just like any other vassal. Can't you release a vassal and use that? I thought the restriction was only on vassalizing extant nations.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Are you allowed to form Prussia for the Teutonic Order achievement?

code:
happened = {
		has_switched_nation = no
		OR = {
			tag = TEU
			tag = LIV
		}

russian_region = {
			type = all
			religion = catholic
		}

russian_region = {
			type = all
			owned_by = ROOT
			is_core = ROOT
		}
No, you have to remain either the Teutonic Order or Livonian Order.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
What's the warscore cost of the religious league peace? I'm putting off starting the war since getting 100% would be a nightmare but I could probably blitz an early 40 much more easily

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Even stuff they have uncored? Like can I feed them over 100% OE and then instantly hit the button and get free cores?

You only get cores if they have cores. I think it used to be different but I tried it a couple days ago and that's how it is

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there an easy way to grind prestige up to 50.

I get gently caress-all from battles and winning wars only gives like 6 at a time.

Conquer Rome, Mecca, and Jerusalem

Alternatively, when you win wars separate peace out the lesser participants with "give up claims", "revoke cores", and war reparations

Pellisworth posted:

So there's one minor and one more significant change I'd suggest after having played quite a bit of Common Sense:

-Revert the claim discount to 20-25% coring cost rather than 10%. This encourages the player to claim stuff (AE is easier to manage so fabrication ahoy!) and rewards them with a better discount. Monarch points feel really tight right now and this would help with that while making claiming provinces more worthwhile.

-Rework the Power Projection values and add in some of the removed unique building bonuses. It's tough for many nations to maintain 25 PP for +1 leader and near impossible to maintain 50 for the +1 MPs. There's currently no real reason to go above 50 and it's very difficult to do so for any length of time. I'd suggest tweaking PP generation (might have to mess with rivals too) and doing something for bonuses like:

20 PP = +1 leader slot
40 PP = +1 Diplomat, +1 Relations slot
60 PP = +1 leader slot, maybe something else??
80 PP = +1 MP income

Right now PP is kind of pointless, this would reward you for actually putting effort into it and also bring back the quality of life bonuses from the unique buildings that got removed.

25 is very easy, you get 15 from having 3 rivals and you can embargo/privateer/insult to get the last 10. 50 is a bit tougher, but if you humiliate your rivals regularly or take a lot of land from them it will stay high for a long time. Attaching the old embassy bonuses to PP sounds terrible though because diplomatic relation slots are not something that should disappear if you lose a war, and because having working diplomats disappear is incredibly irritating. It would be better to tie them to tech or something that doesn't require you to be already dominating to get the bonuses.

Also there were dev posts about how they didn't want to encourage players to blanket claim every single province they take. It's less tedious to have claims be useful for large provinces or just to gain a CB than having to claim every single province or face a major coring disadvantage.

Yashichi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 16, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Unless it was changed in the last patch I'm pretty sure you get an event that changes your government after you westernize, it's not like tribes where you have to take a decision.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

So I decided to play Naples and immediately got Castile, England, and France to support my independence war against Aragon. Things were going great until I found out I had accumulated 85 aggressive expansion by doing so and got a coalition war declared on me within the first five minutes of the game. Is this supposed to happen?

Did you take all of Sicily in the peace? It has really high development so you eat poo poo if you try to take it all at once.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What happens if I take aristocrat idea group and then turn into a republic?

You keep it, it doesn't go away

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The patch cleans up a lot of nation formation weirdness but the decision to form Italy is still broken

Also this change is bullshit:

code:
Decreased chance of Lux Stella and Starlight events firing.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Rumda posted:

Pretty sure the AI still counts Vassal control for you controlling provinces.

Instead of diplo vassalizing and feeding the cores back you just give the land to other vassals

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That Vassal/Core rule is gonna be strange. I don't understand why they'd do that.

Core costs haven't been softened either, so gently caress that.

Why is this a problem? It makes sense that they wouldn't peacefully choose to be your vassal if you own land that's theirs. You can still just declare war and vassalize them if you need to.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you're going to no CB do it on an orthodox country. Ragusa is catholic so all the nearby Italian minors will hate you.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Aristocratic is still garbage, I'm surprised by all these recommendations

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

It's really good right now, the +1 Diplomat and +1 Leader slot are great. Somewhat ironic since those used to be hot trash. If you haven't played much Common Sense, you'll quickly come to find the lack of the early third Diplomat from an Embassy frustrating, especially if you're doing any vassal integration.

The other military ideas will give you more actual punch in battles, but Aristocratic is an excellent first military idea pick for almost any nation right now.

Of course, with the upcoming patch (beta out next week) that gives you +Diplomat and +1 leader with government rank, I'd bet Aristocratic will lose a lot of its appeal.

Edit: in a vacuum, Aristocratic isn't all that great, no. However with the loss of unique building bonuses, it gives you some solid military stuff as well as "quality of life" bonuses and MIL point discounts which make it an attractive first military pick.

No, I played a few campaigns and wasn't really tempted to take it at any point. Being down a diplomat was tedious since I made a lot of peace offers to India but that alone isn't worth 2800 military points, and that's going to be fixed in a few days anyway. 10% cavalry ability is a really meaningless bonus and you can also get it from Quality, which feels a lot better now with the +1 army tradition. Vassal income and war exhaustion cost are total crap compared to what you get from Quality/Quantity/Offensive/Defensive, and all of those feel like solid choices now.

Anyway here's what happened to my economy a month after I made this giant client state to get Venetian Sea:

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The emperor is always a co-belligerent if he gets called by a prince, right? So I'd be able to call in my allies?

Yes

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Elman posted:

Woah, how long did that take to make? Wish you could use something like the nation designer to build your client states instead of adding provinces one by one.

It took like 20 minutes and you can see the 3 Yemeni provinces I had to keep because I hosed up the client state creation and Yemen was at war so I couldn't return them.

I didn't have 90% in either node after the monthly recalculation, if you conquer all of both nodes and then release/client state down to 9 provinces it should fire but I'm not entirely sure how

Just get Poland to beat up the Ottomans for you and it gets easy once they're gone

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Castile is weaker because they lowered the development of Iberia relative to France. They don't have as much money or manpower anymore so they can't check a strong France as easily.

I've seen Burgundy do well as an AI but I tried to play them and it's terrible. The unions and vassals are tiny and very weak and you only have one free relation slot. You can't even integrate any of them because the union date is 1444 for some reason so you have 50 years of -3 relation slots, and they're on the HRE side of you so you can't feed France to them.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

reL posted:

So with the fact that Rome will allow painless westernization, is the recommended Tunis strategy to try and grab it early on? Or will that just wind up getting you poo poo on? I've never taken Rome as a muslim country, I'm not sure what sort of dogpile to expect.

Rome doesn't do that, only Prague, Vienna, and Danzig

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
So apparently France can rival the Papal State at the start of the game

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The more accepted cultures I have, the more advisors I get that are from different cultures, therefore making it seem like I am indeed a ruler of many peoples.

They don't have to be accepted cultures for this to happen, but it is great regardless

The main problem I have with accepted cultures is that even if you stack a bunch of bonuses to acceptance there are still tiny/poor cultures you can never accept. Every game I play near the Balkans has my nation hating the Serbs, Croats, and Albanians because they're poor as poo poo and there's only one Albanian province.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can oyu not ask for provinces outside fo the war goal if you declare as part of a coalition?

Apparently not, unless they're your cores. wargoal_types.txt says both cores and claims should work though so I'm not sure why.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

What determines what exploration missions are available? Just recruited an explorer as Holland in 1472 and the only option is to circumnavigate the globe.

It's determined by colonial range. Get more ideas and dip tech to unlock missions.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I'm having mixed feelings about the fact that the whole of Europe is covered in Pragues and Parises in my 1.13 game

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You can vassalize the Livonians in one war so maybe no CB declare on the Teutons with them as cobelligerent, vassalize LO, give a bunch of TO to Poland and then vassalize next war? Take one TO province next to LO so you can get a CB

Not sure if Poland will ally you since I've been restarting trying to figure out how to take all of Naples right at the start and survive

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you separate peace LO first to vassalize them you can take Riga or that one province of TO that borders LO. You just have to make sure you get the vassal before you make the TO peace, so ideally TO gets useless allies + LO and you declare on them with LO cobelligerent

e: this works because you can core next to a vassal

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Does developing Production in a province give trade power?

All development gives trade power in equal amounts.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah AI OPMs seem to routinely pass 100 development by the mid 1600s. Lucky nations are also comprised entirely of 30+ development provinces with 100+ capitals.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
How do you get elected emperor as the Protestant league leader? This is the third time I've won the drat league war with 200 relations, royal marriage, alliance with all the Protestant electors only to have them elect a loving opm. You should probably get a huge election bonus for leading the war since those fuckers forget you instantly and elect opms from the catholic league

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

It's really dumb that a protectorate starting/finishing Westernization doesn't get a popup by default.

Also I think I found a bug: The "Land Reclamation in Holland" decision doesn't seem to stick. I select it, development costs go down in Holland, but then if I go back a couple minutes later costs are back up and the decision can be taken again.

I bet there's a "1" instead of "-1" for the modifier duration so it lasts for a month

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Now I just wish they'd give the last few remaining 'boring' religions some freaking events and mechanics.

Catholicism could probably stand to not be a lovely lottery with trash bonuses

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Very easy

Sultan of Rum is one of the easiest achievements now that Muscovy implodes every single game

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I just noticed in my Ottoman game that Grenada has no cores in Andalucia....no cultural nation has cores on any Andalucian province....I thought every culture had a country?

Castile gets an event or mission or something that removes Granada's cores. They can spawn through rebels still I think

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

How exactly to give the colonists to the historical colonizers I'm not sure. I think it should be through decision or policy, which would also allow non-historical colonizers to access them at cost. It would also allow them to be removed as the big regions filled out, which could stop things like the colonization of the Pacific islands in the 1650s.

You can probably fix that by lowering colonial range for the AI, they currently get a 50% boost so they get range to the Pacific with tech 11 and a colony in South America

I'm vehemently opposed to more gigantic country-swallowing DHE's because the Burgundian Inheritance is already a lovely event that represents the history poorly and has really stupid gameplay effects. Having a bunch of those happening across the world solely in the name of railroading history sounds terrible.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I don't mind burgundian inheritance because it fires rarely enough that it's an actual interesting twist when it does. The Dutch revolts, similarly, I havent noticed occurring at all since CS dropped. If all these myriad historical surprises could arise through basic game mechanics that would be beautifully elegant, but I don't think the utility of DHEs as ways of keeping the game interesting during the flow of endless player expansion should be discounted. It's what makes the Reformation mechanics great, and why I think a similar macro-mechanic for national revolutions in the late game would be a great addition.

It's not that the concept of DHEs is bad, it's that the kind people keep mentioning here isn't interesting. The Burgundian Inheritance currently just hands the emperor a bunch of really rich provinces with 0 autonomy that they have no difficulty holding on to. The Netherlands almost never become part of Spain at any point and they rarely become independent., so it's doing a very poor job of simulating a historical event and can just fire and kill a major power at random. The Ottomans have a bunch of missions to tear up the Mamluks anyway, and they manage to do it with reasonable consistency, so a DHE to annex them immediately just speeds up the process at the cost of weird railroading and deleting a major power.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I accidentally ran a vanilla observer game last night (meant to test a mod but forgot and didn't notice it wasn't on) which ended up with the Ottomans well-off (they even controlled Rome!) and Russia having nice borders.

Maybe that game was just lucky or something? :shrug: It's kind of tempting to just run vanilla observer games every night for like a week, take shots of the map at the end and then overlay all the results and see what the most common elements are.

French Iceland is the weirdest thing about that map

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I am probably the strongest advocate for historical outcomes here. I find it way more fun to play a minor power if the majors are doing their historical thing.

The 0 autonomy thing definitely is a problem, but you need DHEs to ever create these sorts of situations. It might be better if there was a more detailed dynastic system to model the collapse of Burgundy, but Johan had stated multiple times that we won't see that kind of interaction in EU4, because that's a CK thing. I'd say the Burgundian Inheritance could use some work, but it's still a vital piece of the game.

As for the Ottomans, they really do need the speed up. They played a dominant role in European politics, and they won't be able to play that role if they have to slowly grind down the Mamluks.

Their weakness is then made more severe by the old issue if the AI committing 100% of their strength to every war they fight.

The actual Burgundian Inheritance was more like a succession war between France and Austria than the weird partition that we have now, and since that system already exists in the game the event is redundant and weird. If we have to have it then it would be more interesting to have a rare event that can break up European Christian countries in general among their royal marriage partners; it's not as though Burgundy is the only country this could have happened to, nor was it a sure thing in 1444 that the Inheritance would even happen the way it did. Maybe let Austria get their mission to PU Burgundy much earlier.

Similarly, the Ottoman missions put them in a great place to achieve their historical borders without hand-holding. They don't have problems conquering the Mamluks in a timely fashion and they regularly swallow the Balkans unless they end up at war with several other majors, which is how that should play out anyway.

The Iberian wedding is also stupid and should probably be replaced with something better, since Aragon typically rivals Castile and shouldn't be content to fuse with them.

The mission system is pretty good at getting major powers to go where they should, and more general events like "The [X country] Inheritance" or "Failed State Annexed" would add those kind of historical shakeups without forcing the same poo poo to happen every game.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Burgundy wasn't just another country though, it was an overgrown French fief which expanded into HRE lands. I'm not sure what other countries could realistically be split due to being in different "jurisdictions". Not kingdoms at least, though adding similar events for other dukes might make sense. Having HRE duchies possibly just split up without being absorbed by another country wouldn't be too bad either.

That said, it's not like the Burgundian Inheritance is destined to always be a French/Austrian split, it can go to other emperors too, or the French entirely, or even be split with some other European power. Not actually sure if there is a decision/event for this, but maybe if Burgundy had the possibility of creating a full independent kingdom with the backing of the HRE? This would then prevent any further non-generic inheritance, preserving Burgundy as a foil to the French until the French kill it manually.

That's what Charles the Bold tried to do, and it would be nice to have a decision for it. But only the French parts of Burgundy were partitioned due to being fiefs, the Habsburgs got the rest through marriage (and had to fight France for it) so it's weird that the emperor always gets the rest, especially since Austria usually rivals Burgundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Apoffys posted:

There's no system in-game that can partition things like that though, because peace treaties are one-sided (you can either give or take, not both). A succession war under the current rules would end up with either France or the Emperor getting everything, not a split.

Those were two separate possibilities. We could replace the BI with a succession war, or devise an event chain that does something like the BI but isn't limited to that tag at a particular time.

• Locked thread