Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I know this probably gets asked a lot but last ten pages didn't have anything and the OP is outdated.

I have all the expansions up to Art Of War. I uninstalled this game around then so I've been off the loop for a while now. The newer expansions would be nearly 90 euros total, so I'm not going to go there, at least not right away. What would you recommend and why? I see lot of disappointment towards the Mandate of Heaven but I don't really plan on playing in the east a lot, except for colonization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

oddium posted:

you can ditch exploration

:stare:

No, I don't have hundreds of hours on this game, certainly not.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I only just realized Ligor, wtf.

My current game had near-great power Nevers without any direct or indirect involvement on my part. They diminished a little towards the end but at one point held like 25 provinces south of Low Countries and east of Paris. Most of France was Spain. The Alps was Great Power Savoy.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

The static trade nodes would be my #1 thing to fix in EU5. gently caress the concept of "end nodes". I want to reverse trade flow, stupid white privilege!

I don't know about that. Modding them, sure, if it's doable. Ocean currents, river flow and mountain passes just created trade routes in reality, though. Not all but many large cities are at river estuaries and such for a reason and I like that it's not random.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You're not wrong, but like Tahirovic says, trade flowed both directions. All the trade in the world did not end up in Venice, Genoa, and Antwerp; they were just rich places because there were people in those places that wanted to buy things from far away. Now, the game is Europa Universalis and originally the game was built mainly to play as European powers with the world as your sandbox, but with the developments (no pun intended) in EU4 you can play anywhere and be the #1 world power, so being able to pull trade into the Ethipoia node, or Mongolia, or whatever, would make much more sense, which is why people want a more dynamic trade system in EU5.

Not disagreeing. I was phone posting so I guess I was too brief. I like that the trade flows with the ocean currents and rivers, and that the routes are fixed where it makes geographical/historical (pregame events) sense. I don't like how it doesn't really make sense that my technologically superior to European powers Aztec Empire that covered 60% of the Americas still bled cash into Antwerp and Seville like mad. Having an effective end node would be okay in my opinion, if it happened because of, say, the development level of the surrounding provinces in tandem with geography. If both weren't in order in for example Venice, the trade would in that game eventually flow into the way more powerful and rich Alexandria or Constantinople.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Looks like the average 1600s Ottomans to me. If they ever get going, they'll keep on going until the player intervenes.

I played a Dutch game and the Ottoman Empire stretched from Libya and Ethiopia to Urals and through Persia. They even colonized some of the islands in the East Indies. It was kinda horrible.

Also Balkans was Ragusa.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I only now noticed there is a ruler trait that makes the AI want to have pretty borders. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

krampster2 posted:

Hello Paradox people, I have not played this game in many years and am having to learn everything again. I am a bit perplexed as to how to work with the state system.

I'm playing as Muscovy who starts the game with 8/8 states and a few territories. I've smashed Novgorod and taken some of their valuable provinces, however each one has a 75% minimum autonomy because they are territories.

So how do I become a big blob? From what I've read you don't get more states until admin tech 8. So it would seem then that taking new provinces is not going to be profitable for a fair while. Would it be beneficial to turn some of my lesser value provinces back into territories so I can make my newer and more valuable provinces states?

Sorry if I've overlooked something, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Once you form Russia, you become an empire instead of a duchy and that gives a bunch more states. It also fired events that give you a large number of permanent claims in the south as well as the powerful Siberian Frontier ability, which lets you colonize Siberia with no colonists and just a handful of diplomatic points in like half a century.

• Locked thread