Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I kinda like the changes in annex/ coring costs so far, I always thought blobbing was way too easy. But then I always go colonial, so I always have another avenue of expansion/ stuff to do.

and the fort changes are amazing. In an England game I just plopped a fort down on the border with Scotland, went to war them and dragged in France; I just left them to siege the thing as I settled what was going on in the continent. It makes it so much easier to manage multiple fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
To be fair I think the not launching game thing and mod breaking is a pretty serious bug

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think it's too early to be saying definitively that we need more monarch points or things should cost less or whatever. We've all been playing the game blobby for 2 years now; the day after the patch it's still gonna feel weird since it's so different.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah. Make sure your save isn't compressed, then go to C:\Users\you\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\save games and find it, open with a text editor. Go down and find your country (easiest way is to ctrl+f for human=yes I think), and find stuff like this:

it lists your government type there, but that's from the start of the game rather than the point you saved at, so copy that and ctrl+f it and the next reference should be the one you change; go for constitutional_republic, constitutional_monarchy or english_monarchy, then save the file, voila.

e: oh yeah right, so does anyone know how to upgrade your marches' forts? It says on the upgrade button that you can "build or upgrade forts in your subjects' lands" but I don't actually see any way to do the latter.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 11, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I know it's super cheap but whenever there's an exploit like that I don't have any qualms about getting the achievements; you still had to be paying attention at the right time to get them.

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks.

Along similar lines, what's the strategy on when to place a colony into your trade company or not?

always

similarly, i can't think of a popup where i won't go for the mercantalism option over anything else. it's a permanent modifier that can really add up.

e: occasionally trade companies will give you missions like "conquer x province before this date or else" but you can just ignore them without much penalty. that's about the only downside there is.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 11, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm tempted to get back into EU4 and pick up some DLC, but not all of it appeals to me. If I pick up some random combination like Res Publica, Art of War, and Common Sense, will there be any problems from missing the others? I'm guessing no, but can't hurt to double-check before I spend the money on it.

nah there won't be problems. if I were you I'd spend another $1.25 and pick up Wealth of Nations instead of Res Publica though, the latter is only really for republics now that one of its main features was integrated into Common Sense, whereas unless you never plan on touching extracontinental trade, Wealth of Nations is pretty useful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

RabidWeasel posted:

Huh, I just kind of realised that Kazan is going to keep its unique NIs when it reforms, right? That's pretty great, and I think one of only two ways of having no reinforcement cost while westernised (the other way is being Manchu and reforming to Qing).

I am considering a Manchu game, how much beefier is Ming now with their buffs?

I haven't actually fought them yet so ymmv, but they lost the 10% discipline malus, have a 10% tech discount, and even when you split them up the fragments have a powerful CB that lets them reunify quickly so I'm gonna go with "a lot". Last patch they would implode within the first century in nearly all my games; this patch (admittedly I've only played like 3 times) they kept near-parity in tech with the westerners and actually conquered things. :eyepop:

I'm sure they're still prone to shattering if you manage to beat them decisively though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Some terrain types have bonus slots, some have a slot malus. Farmlands are best, they give you +2.

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm trying to run a cheaty multiplayer game with my brother. Is there any way to unlock the traditional console commands (cash, monarch points, etc) in multiplayer? Or alternatively, is there a modifier I can add to the player bonus to give us more monarch points?

I dunno if there's a way to straight up add a monarch point bonus to the player bonuses, but you could just do reduced tech/ development/ idea/ stability etc costs (up to 100% if you want), or make advisers completely free. Alternatively you could give your whole tech group a monarch point bonus by adding 'power = x' to it in common/technology.txt.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Larry Parrish posted:

Fort management for a 1000 BT beast must really suck. Can we get HoI's region thing for forts.

Not so much actually, at the point I get that huge I've just been leaving all my forts on all the time. It costs a lot but still nothing compared to the income you get.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

shallowj posted:

anyone else have a bug where they can't left-click to select provinces? tried to play a game even though the hotkeys don't work; found this bug too. did make me find out you can right-click provinces to go directly to the diplomacy window, though.

I've had this a few times (after I meddled with mods so I figured it was 'cause of that), relaunching seems to fix it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Apoffys posted:

Is there any way to build forts for my vassals/colonial nations or to persuade them to build forts in specific places?

if you turn your vassal into a march you can build forts for them (and pay for the fort maintenance)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I know when to build a workshop vs a temple?

if you use the macrobuild interface it tells you exactly how much each one will make you. personally i'd make workshops upstream with temples in your core, unless it's a valuable trade good.

alternatively, both

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
How effective is the ahead of time bonus you get for dip and admin tech anyway? I remember a while ago one of the Paradox devs said it was practically mandatory to be ahead of time in their multiplayer sessions, but I wonder if that's changed now with development.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Pellisworth posted:

I haven't seen the Burgundian Inheritance fire yet this patch, either.

It's happened a bunch of times for me, except for the multiplayer game where i was austria and specifically tried to get it to fire

on the other hand this just happened

:eyepop:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If that's all you want why don't you just start as Ming and release all your vassals, then tag switch.

nessin posted:

Side question, is that a font/map mod (and which one) or, if not, how do you get the clear white text and smooth border lines?
Thick borders + recolored water 1.3 and its dark water, white font and transparent political map (which I just noticed doesn't seem to be working:crossarms:) submods

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

PittTheElder posted:

Trade Companies also have a variety of events around them, but those can be basically ignored.

The random free fort event still fires which is pretty annoying with the maintenance now. By the time it's a hassle to find the province for it you should be drowning in trade money though at least.

Another Person posted:

trade companies in certain regions

Huh, I'm suddenly wondering if this is why I tend to think of quantity as near-mandatory for trade powers- but I always put Trade Companies on every province possible, not just the centers of trade. 75% autonomy 'cause of distant overseas means the (.5 per province) naval force limit bonus alone is usually better than anything else you'd be getting, and you really need those ships if you want to control every drop of ocean in the eastern hemisphere.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jazerus posted:

Exploration is unequivocally the best choice for your first idea set as any nation with a coast that is within ~274 range units of a colonizable province. This is almost everyone outside of Europe. No other idea set gives you land without war, and same-continent colonies will be worth two conquered provinces early on due to their 0% autonomy.

Yeah, I totally disagree with that guy saying it's a bad choice. Maybe hold off until your second idea set to consolidate on the mainland for a bit; colonizing is expensive. But Indonesian trade in this game is absurdly lucrative, and you really want to get started early so you can lock down the Indian Ocean islands and South Africa to keep the Europeans out of it for a couple of centuries.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

gfanikf posted:

What is currently the best country and time period to get used to the game mechanics with (ie like Ireland in CK2)?

Portugal's the simplest one- ally with Castile at the outset and go colonizing and conquering Africa/ the new world/ Asia while not really having to worry about Europe. any big European team tends to be good to learn with though- Britain especially since the new patch, but Castile and France are fairly straight forward too.

PrinceRandom posted:

A conceptual question. Im Persia and I own basically all of the Persia and Basra nodes. My capitals in isfahan. Should I be collecting or transferring in Basra? Should my trade port be Basra or Persia?

Edit: oh picture above reminded me, is improving provinces base stats only in common sense?

put your main trading port as far downstream as you can (where the arrows point). i think that's Persia in this case?

and yes

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Is France really that hard since the patch? I get that's it's not the cakewalk it used to be but even if you lose the Burgundian and English wars catastrophically it's not like they can annex that much of your country at once.

and yeah wow I hadn't actually looked at the OP, I guess they decided the easiest way to keep the information up to date was by not including any information at all...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh wow you can actually get permanent modifiers? I've explored the entirety of north and south america like 3 times since that patch and never got one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-june-18th.864104/

:eyepop: hot drat

Wiz posted:

As a nice little bonus to modders, there will be console commands in the next patch to reload the heightmap and province map ingame, so restart isn't required for most map editing.

:eyepop::eyepop: heightmap editing was the most infuriating thing so this is a wonderful stealth change

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 18, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
An easy way to write events/missions/decisions is what I want. I have a lot of fun with custom countries but they all feel a bit lifeless compared to the normal ones.

Bort Bortles posted:

~add a second item to one national idea line (two buffs in one slot) (for extra cost or a lower maximum boost from the two items on one line or something)
~allow the player to have one 'overcharged' idea that goes higher than normal allowances (like how the Ottomans have -33% coring cost, Najd has +5% conversion strength, ect) (this could force other ideas' maximums to be lower to have an extreme cost)

imperfect solution, but both of these are super easy to mod for. all the nation designer ideas are right there in common\custom_ideas, just switch around some values/ add multiple things to a single idea and you're done.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Bold Robot posted:

Are protectorates worth using or should I just take the land myself? I'm playing as Portugal and trying to decide what to do with East Africa and the Far East.

now that you can yoink provinces from them and get 100% of their trade power, I think they're very much worth using.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

PittTheElder posted:

I've always thought that the higher tiers of government should start to average your monarch points out a little. So you get screwed over a lot less by a 0/0/0, but a would-be 6/6/6 no longer has the power to revolutionize your country either (because you wouldn't be able to roll one).

I dunno, there are quite a few examples even in huge empires of a single bad ruler running things into the ground (admittedly most of the examples I can think of are China-related, which was an extraordinarily centralized state).

this reminds me though, now that there aren't unique buildings, what do you guys think about a bonus diplomat/general being tied to government rank? So when you're an empire you get an extra of each. I'm not sure I mind the buildings being gone most of the time, they were a bit too easy to get, but when you're world-spanning you really do feel constrained these days.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Enigma89 posted:

Has anyone ever played a non-European country and actually out-teched the major European powers without westernization? I am playing a game as Ming with a friend (we are both playing Ming) and we are a full military tech ahead of France and 2 ahead of the Ottomans. :stare: Is this bad? We wanted to westernize but now I am worried that we are going to suffer non-westernized penalties all game now because we will be to far behind to actually westernize?

We are in the late 1500s or early 1600. We just hit military tech 15 and France is 14 and Ottomans are at 13.

It's pretty hard to pull off continuously, but Ming get a 10% tech discount from their government type and can afford top-tier advisers, and the AI has always been mediocre at keeping up with tech (and that's only been exacerbated by this patch I think).

Just fall behind in diplo tech though if you want to westernize, there's very little penalty to doing that. Normally I'd say the non-westernized penalties really aren't that bad though, but as Ming getting rid of the 50% autonomy floor is probably fairly enticing.

e: actually that said, being western and not reforming your government, so you get to keep factions and the tech discount might be pretty powerful. It's not like Ming are poor even with the autonomy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
i thought that was only ever as hordes

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yeah the point is so you can get achievements

50 liberty desire is manageable though isn't it? that's not a game ender

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
to be fair the vast majority are huge improvements

sad about the free basetax on colony completion one going though :smith:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Pakled posted:

I can understand advisors costing exponentially more as they get higher-level, but nobody's ever going to hire a level 3 advisor in 1500, so why should they even appear then? Something like making advisor bonuses more granular and having development in the province they come from alter their skill level/bonuses might be good. So at the beginning of the game, you only end up with advisors that are the equivalent of level 1 and by the end your development should be high enough in at least some provinces to produce top-quality advisors.

starting price for a level 3 isn't that much for a medium-big country. i've taken them a bunch of times.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Never open with a military idea, is the main rule. I don't think it depends all that much though- influence if you're somewhere where you'll likely expand through lots of vassalization (i.e. the HRE), exploration if you're in Iberia, and admin in most every other situation since admin points are super scarce this patch. As a tiny country where you literally don't have enough money to survive and overreaching with your conquests is unlikely I guess trade might be tempting, but I tend to think of it as a bit of a trap if you're western, since there are better ways to get merchants if you're going the trade game, and if you're not going the trade game it's not very useful anyway.

Trujillo posted:

Naval combat is in need of a massive overhaul. That said, I think in single player naval and maritime ideas aren't required but in multiplayer if you're an island and you don't go maritime and naval you're going to get killed by one who did. The naval combat bonuses you get from both pretty much guarantee you'll win.

Huh even with the buff this last patch I don't really get the appeal of naval, I should look at it more. But I don't understand the maritime hate at all, just the repairs-while-not-docked thing alone completely changes the naval game (and so, colonial and trade games too). And the extra force limits are phenomenal. If I have any aspirations outside of my home continent (which I always do), I nearly always take maritime.

e: oh 10% ship durability is pretty cool, i never noticed that part

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone explain combat a little more? Like Morale vs Discipline vs shock vs fire and all that? Combat mechanics always seem to be changing so I don't trust wiki articles, or are they more or less up to date?

They haven't changed at all actually, the only thing changed since launch is the unit types in different tech groups. I think the wiki article should be fine.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 23, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't think maritime is a good first idea; which island nation did you have in mind? I can't think of one where exploration wouldn't be a better pick. It even has the extra force limits too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone know how to mod in CBs? I found the stuff in cb_types and wargoal_types, is there more I'm missing? I see the CB in my diplomacy screen, but when I try to declare war it's not there.

update: turns out I was missing a { in one of the text files, who would have thought.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 25, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't think terrain types changing dynamically would work right now, those are all loaded in when you first open the map, and to change them you'd have to reload it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
New dev diary

it's just ideas this time, but look, finally Yarkand :banjo:

beta drops next week

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

thatdarnedbob posted:

:vince: I never wanted to play as Ternate until now; the islands of the Pacific shall be my enemies' graves.

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that free colonist. I wonder if this means we'll see a colonized Indonesia before the Europeans get there

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Wiz in the Paradox forums posted:

King rank gives +1 diplomat in 1.13.

sick

some random dude further along said Empires get +1 leader too, I dunno if that's true though but they said it authoritatively so I'm gonna believe them

the more I think about it the happier I am that unique buildings are gone. that change alone managed to balance most of the idea groups into actually being worthwhile.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quote:

- It is now 100% more expensive for primitives to develop their provinces.
- The cost to improve provinces is no longer increased by +5 for each time developed
- Increased cost to develop from +1% to +2% per existing development.

- Reduced trade power from provinces, Important Centers of Trade, and Tolls.
- Reduced maintenance of light ships.
:eyepop:

- Rank 2 countries now get +1 diplomat, and rank 3 countries +1 free leader.

- Rebalanced trade ideas to give more trade power (to compensate for power lost from trade efficiency).
- Horse Artillery policy is now +10% artillery power (down from +20%). :smith:

- Most papal actions now give 20 year modifiers instead of one time boosts.
- Now possible to switch between the Buddhist faiths.

- Chinese & Indian tech groups now start at tech 3.

- Only navies now take on arrival attrition.

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core
- Large nations now get more AE
- Increased base naval forcelimits to +12 for independent nation and +4 for subject nation.
- You now get army tradition for each fully maintained non-obsolete fort, up to a maximum of +1. The amount you get depends on how many forts you have compared to your total development level.

# AI
- Will now refuse to be vassalised by a country that owns its cores.
- Now more reluctant to ally countries with a significantly weaker military potential.
- Will no longer care to colonize Arctic provinces if they don't already own territory in the same area.
- Colonial Nations are now willing to spend more of their budget on colonists.

- Added alert for when an explorer is ready to explore (and there is at least one available non-circumnavigation mission).
- Added larger versions of diplomacy view for higher resolutions.
- Find province displays a flashing highlight around found province to make it easier to locate.

- Polish and Lithuanian development levels adjusted slightly.
- French Development levels boosted slightly in 1444.

there's so much stuff wow. looks like some buffs to France- AI won't join England if it calls a PU war over France too.

would be nice if they'd let you switch from Confucian to Buddhist too in the interim while they get ready to represent China better

e: oh yeah re: draining marshes in Netherlands

quote:

- Added decision to lower the development cost of the Amsterdam province.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 26, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I've never actually played in the new world; do people really try to keep up with tech there? When you reform, you get the majority of the tech levels of the country you reform off of- doesn't it make more sense to just sit around as a tech 1 loaf spending all your MP to upgrade your provinces?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's a chance; you could be at 95% chance to win and still lose, or 10% and manage to pass it through.

Once in a blue moon there are some pretty powerful bonuses that show up- extra settler, extra merchant- and in the early game it's generally pretty good deals. But I agree that by the midgame it feels like more of a pain than a benefit, and I've usually just straight up forgotten about it after a point; it'd be nice if it had bigger bonuses. Maybe for a bigger cost than -1 prestige/ month if you don't have a debate going though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
huh I never thought about there being objectively better choices a lot of the time but I guess that makes sense. Still, if you're lazy like me, defensive pips if you're worried about manpower, offensive pips if you're not.

Bort Bortles posted:

Gibraltar has never been crossable (as in: armies can walk over to Africa and back) in any of the Europa Universalis games (if I remember correctly).

I think it's crossable in CK2 isn't it? That might be what threw them off

• Locked thread