Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't get Common Sense to work. Steam says I own it, it's checked in the DLC box on Steam, but it doesn't show up under the DLC tab in the launcher and I can't mess with development in-game. Any ideas? I tried verifying the cache and deleting/reinstalling.

E: Never mind, I owned the Common Sense Content Pack, not common sense :downs:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PleasingFungus posted:

If Russia is not in the coalition & is not the subject of someone in the coalition, declaring on them will not trigger a coalition war.

Of course, if you lose enough troops/manpower to Russia, there's no guarantee the coalition won't smell blood.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nitrousoxide posted:

Someone did it in 1.9 using crazy personal unions.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...chanics.833582/

I don't think personal unions have really changed that much, so it might still be doable.

I feel like smaller starts have become even more dangerous due to the new fort mechanics. Usually when everyone had 3-4 provinces you used to be able to ping-pong stack wipe armies at your leisure, because they couldn't run that far. However, now a nation has a real chance to recover if the fort layout is unfavorable.

Of course, the same goes for you, to a degree.

But if you can get the luck to pull off the first 50 years or so, I'd guess it's probably still viable.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gort posted:

Does anyone else think cultural conversion is a little... easy? The idea that England could expend four years effort and then everyone in Ireland considers themselves English seems... optimistic. (from the Imperial English point of view, anyway)

"The beheadings will continue until everyone puts 'English' on the census."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I thought Canada was supposed to have their own national ideas. I just formed them and still have boring old Colonial Ideas.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, it depends on that screen. If I don't feel like worrying about it, I usually got Trade > Tax > Production unless I'm in a situation where one is obviously bad (landlocked countries tend not to benefit a lot from trade).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lord Tywin posted:

Aren't the achievements available in the beta patch? I just formed Russia as Muscovy but I didn't get the achievement.

I got Turn the Tables on the beta patch, so yes. Did you forget to enable Ironman or choose a non-1444 start or something maybe?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sheep posted:

It appears that France is confused.

Edit: or maybe they just wanted to get in the HRE and then take it all back? Who knows!

Wow, I think that's the most screwed up Western Europe I've seen. It's almost amazing that it got that messed up by 1509.

I also like Brittany's random little exclave.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

In my recent game, Burgundy managed to trigger a coalition of pretty much every European nation on itself. How? In two wars it ate half of France and the western half of the HRE.

I was Brittany, and allied to Burgundy when the coalition war fired. Seeing that popup of who was against him was pretty much an instant "nope" regardless of my abysmal prestige.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's something funny going on with tag switching not giving your new ideas so maybe that has something to do with it.

Good point, I formed Canada and still had my old ideas, so maybe tag switching for achievements is messed up too.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Seems a general issue that some countries ally with people from way too far away, which sorta also plays into the problem of not being able to beat one of your neighbors because they're friends with some major power half a world away who is perfectly happy to expend the same effort fighting you as they do fighting a coalition rampaging through their lands.

Except when I ally Castille as Brittany they can't get off their rear end to take the long, arduous hike through Navarra and help me with France. Assholes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is it me or is Hesse becoming the emperor with strange frequency?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm Holland. Navarra just asked me for military access, they don't have any enemies or allies near me. :psyduck:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Good job, guys! Go get that OPM!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They were taking max 5% attrition so a lot of troops were dying. Only Austria was smart enough to move their army off that thing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
God drat it, my ally "helped" me by giving me Friesland, causing a giant coalition to form. It was the only province I needed to form the Netherlands, but I was still Admin tech 7, so no rush, I'll wait 10 years for AE to tick down. Then my stupid ally gets into a stupid war, and the second I siege Friesland he separate peaces them and gives it to me before I could transfer control.

Then the coalition was so successful it put me back to square one. Basically what I'm saying is East Frisia is a jerk.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Trundel posted:

Running a Brunei game and was quick enough to get a colony next to a Portugal core on Sierra Leone. Karou just became a full province but the Westernization button is greyed out. Is the wiki right that the sum of my tech has to be 7 or less than the sum of their tech in order to Westernize?

I had this happen to me once, and it turned out the culprit was the enemy's goddamn 6 shock leader.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Any tips for taking a free city? Friesland has 4 allies (including NorSweDenmark), and being a free city the Palatinate will protect them. I tried declaring war on a smaller ally, but the AE was just too great for just their one province, it would've caused a huge coalition. So it looks like it requires making them a co-belligerent (which should at least keep the Emperor out, right?), but that means I still have to deal with their billion allies. Is it just going to be hoping that by dumb luck some day their allies will all refuse to join?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bort Bortles posted:

Being a cobelligerent means they can call their allies and I believe their protectors (HRE Emperor, Defender of Faith, ect)

I just tried, the emperor doesn't join.

Also, apparently the answer was "have France finally flip from defensive to friendly."

With just France, Muenster, and myself, I managed to fend off half the emperor, at the cost of a few loans and some war exhaustion. It just took some smart engagements. I was really conservative with peace deals, and peaced most of the giant opposing side out earlier than maybe I needed to, but I held out!

Then when I was about to become emperor I formed The Netherlands which apparently takes you out of the empire now (I don't think it used to? I thought that forming the Netherlands used to be the standard way for Burgundy to become a prince) :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Baronjutter posted:

My best bud France just made me their rival and broke our alliance. Why would they ever do that to me... is there anyway to get them back?

Pretty much the only way would be to make their country small enough to make them unrival you or become your vassal. :getin:

(Otherwise it's pretty much just dumb luck whether they'll ever stop being your rival)

Knuc U Kinte posted:

MAybe...I've had them break alliance because they want provinces and then eventually come back to be my friend. They often want to really if you have high trust.

Probably not if they've declared you as a rival, but yeah, countries can flip back really fast if they just have claims or cores.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Larry Parrish posted:

Ideas system is cool but monarch points being used for tech and ideas and development and leaders makes them get stretched pretty thin and it can be annoying rather than strategic sometimes. But hey whatever.

I think the biggest problem with points is admin, honestly. (Or, another view may be that admin points are the only ones working correctly) While Diplo theoretically is limited by peace deals and diplo-annexing, in practice due to other territory-grab limiters such as diplo rep and aggressive expansion, you always have a glut of them. Military points are heavily underused, the things they're used for are either rare or inexpensive, so you end up with a ton.

Admin is the biggest limiting factor. I always feel like by midgame I'm behind on admin due to all the things it's used for. Perhaps more importantly, admin points are used for the most "urgent" things like reducing overextension and stability. I also feel like it possibly has more events than the others, but most disasters definitely cost more admin points due to the stability cost modifier and associated stab requirement they usually come with.

I'm really not sure whether I feel admin is the best or worst on balance. On one hand, you have to make tough decisions with them. On the other hand, I feel like I'm behind on admin more than everything else.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
How about "offender of the faith" where you're forced to send a diplomatic insult to every country of a different religion?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, but Lübeck has cooler models so I want to play as them!

AE actually seems to not be a huge problem. My largest danger is the Emperor demanding me to release unlawful territory and having to eat the 10 revolt risk. I'm sure this problem will sort itself out once I'm a bit larger but I thought vassals could help with their extra manpower.

If you can secure an alliance with the emperor, they won't demand unlawful territory.

Another strategy is to peace out members of a war individually and stay in the war while the land you get from them finishes coring. The territory isn't considered unlawful if it's cored, and it can only be demanded while you're at peace. You could also declare wars where the only purpose is humiliate/war reps to avoid Call for Peace problems while you core land from another war, but you have to watch your war exhaustion.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 30, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does co-belligerenting call in protectors (guarantors, people warning you, the emperor/Japan etc)?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

verbal enema posted:

what is a good place to start in the HRE? i assume Austria is pretty straightforward

Austria and Brandenburg are probably the two most straightforward. If you want to be a small power, I'd start in the Holland area, because they generally have the fewest blobs to worry about, since the only nearby blobs would have to attack into the empire to declare on you and face the current Emperor's wrath.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PittTheElder posted:

Warnings are somewhat special, in that they only apply if the warner borders both the defender and attacker.

I know, but they do apply to co-belligerenting (e.g. if I'm Ulm and I co-belligerent Bavaria while Austria-blob is warning me)?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only problem I have with estates right now is that it feels like their loyalty is very arbitrary. This is less true with 3 estate nations, but it becomes really noticeable with Nomads. I noticed that Arumba had effectively zero control over the loyalty of the Tribes estate and it effectively came down to which events he's gotten recently.

This is, perhaps, realistic, but it would be nice to have a few more (monarch point costing?) loyalty-bumping options for when you get chain-screwed by events.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is there a good guide to UI modding? All the modding guides I can find are for adding new events and stuff. I'm having a lot of trouble finding where things point.

Like I'm finding things like:

code:
		instantTextBoxType = {
			name = "summary"
			position = { x = 220 y = 350 }
			textureFile = ""
			font = "vic_22"
			borderSize = {x = 0 y = 0}
			text = "PEACE_SUMMARY"
			maxWidth = 128
			maxHeight = 24	
			format = left
		}	
But I can't find PEACE_SUMMARY's definition, which I assume fills the summary box programmatically.

In diplomacy_I_english I'm finding things like:

code:
 PAY_CASH_TO_MULTIPLE: "$WHO$ will pay §Y$WHAT$§! ducats to $WHOM$ and its allies."
Which are obviously part of the constructed text, but I have no idea how those values are being subbed in, or what part of the files actually transforms the selected peace terms into a summary.

I basically just want to add a tiny bit of info to the declare war and peace summary screens. Specifically, on the declare war screen I want to show the relative strength of the alliance if the war starts as predicted, and on the peace screen I want to show something like "If this lesser partner accepts peace, it will remove X [infantry icon] Y [cav icon] and Z [cannon icon] from the war" to reduce the amount of ledger-digging you have to do.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 14, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the AI is trying for an achievement run:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't think Estates can be that, though. Not with the DLC model. In a hypothetical EU5 Estates could absolutely be a very good core mechanic like Stellaris Pops/Sectors or CK2 Vassals that have to be managed or your realm is going to tear itself apart, but when it's a feature you only get to play with when you buy the DLC, they simply cannot make it that integral to the game's fabric. A set of bonuses and penalties to manage is really all you're going to get, and the best they can do is make getting the numbers in the right places moderately interesting.

Honestly, the best place I'd put Estates as a core mechanic is as a replacement for monarch points. Noble/Clergy/Burgher as implemented already roughly mirror Mil/Adm/Dip. To do things with your country you might have to work with managing the estate(s) responsible for those aspects of your country.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Transmetropolitan posted:

How one deals with the tremendous fuckery that is a franco-austrian alliance?

Weep.

But really:

Ally a bigger fish (or a conglomerate of nations that collectively amounts to a bigger fish).
See if you can ally one of them, and then trick them into getting at war with each other by attacking a non-mutual ally of theirs.
If you can ally one, but can't do the above trick, call one as an ally in some bullshit war, then attack the other.
Wait until one won't honor the call, and then attack
If you can somehow get at war with one without the other (e.g. attacking a non-mutual ally) make them annul their treaty in a peace deal.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
AFAIK, recovering abysmal legitimacy is mostly a function of getting lucky with events or trying to get your monarch killed by making them a general and parking them on an army (assuming your heir has a decently strong claim).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Weird, I just got Basileus and apparently 2% of people have it. That in and of itself isn't weird, but only 0.48% have Turn the Tables. I guess Basileus "seems" more bragworthy so more people go for it?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Had a really rough start as Castille. Couldn't even ally Portugal due to lovely rival/alliance combinations. Ended up settling for... Morocco and Burgundy. Then I got the Burgundian Inheritance. Then I got the Iberian Wedding. Other than bleeding diplo points due to being over the relationship limit I went from in a terrible position Castille-wise to being broken and almost the emperor with no effort. I never even touched France, they're just sitting there boxed in and crying. (Though I am regretting that, using transports all the time is getting annoying).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is there any way to tell the AI "no, really, you're super nice and all but I really, really, really don't want anything from this war." I participated in the Protestant League war (on the Catholic side) and the emperor decided to feed me a high development province from France, as well as two provinces to my marches. Due to my vassilization of electors, I was managing my AE very carefully since it was sort of this, but this made a coalition.

It was, admittedly, a tiny coalition, most of whom I could remove just by improving relations, but it could have been much worse if I had been given that land earlier before some of my AE decay.

(Also, the emperor decided to say in the war for way, way too long. I think I had 16 war exhaustion just from Call For Peace because they just HAD to full occupy the Ottomans).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
drat, does anyone see a way out of this? I'm going for Luck of the Irish. I didn't do the full exodus and just tried to colony up which I think was a mistake. I managed to only get the Western few provinces in Ireland. I had the central one, but England declared war on me way too early and took it.

Scotland got eaten by the UK (they decided to unally me because I wasn't paying attention and had too many identical vital interest provinces), and now my only ally is France. France is not doing super well this game, and nobody else in Europe will ally me either due to distance or army size. I went Exploration/Expansion/Quantity. I've had an awful, awful ruler for almost 100 years and am horribly behind on tech. Ahead on diplo, about 2 levels behind on Mil and one on Adm, the second Mil level I'm behind on is a tactics level.

England's allies are Savoy, who managed to blob a bit, Austria, and Augsburg/Bavaria (who are OPMs). Savoy+Austria are both, individually, almost as strong as France. Together they've repeatedly crushed France. England only has land on Ireland, their main island, and a handful of colonies.

I'm pretty much the dominant power in the new world with a colonial nation in all the major NA regions, containing all the estuaries/important centers and most of the high development provinces. Still, I have 16 force limit and am a tactics level behind. Due to the location of England's alliances, I can't do any war tricks (unless I can get someone to renege on a loan, but nobody wants one).

I also just got over like 100 years of colonial development/tons of mercs in my last defensive war debt.

It seems like my only hope is to try and get my tactics even, drastically overbuild my force limit, and hope France at least gives Savoy and Austria enough War exhaustion I can white peace them before they try to land troops, then just hold my claims in Ireland across the strait.

I'd be able to win if I could coordinate my little colonial nation buddies, but alas, they're AI across the Atlantic and barely understand the concept of transatlantic voyages. And even if they could figure it out, they'd probably do something dumb like try to naval invade Austria. Not to mention that whole "England's navy" issue.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Any tips on Luck o' The Irish? I keep hitting this brick wall where England allies and then diplo-vassalizes two or three of the other Irish powers (usually Leinster and either Tyrone and/or Ulster), and France never wants to be my ally by the time I get my relations with them up because they "have other powerful allies". It's possible but... unlikely that a 4 province Desmond and Scotland could beat England.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PittTheElder posted:

That "other powerful allies" thing isn't because France has big allies already, it's because you do.

No, it's because France has powerful allies. My only ally is Tyrone:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I literally just dissolved all my alliances to check, the modifier isn't because of me. They still have the -10 for that reason. I don't recall seeing that modifier until recently, maybe it's new-ish? This isn't the same one where you already have "great power allies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

NihilCredo posted:

Who ARE France's allies, anyway? Maybe that message is poorly phrased and they've simply hit their diplomatic relations limit.

Navarra, Aragon, Scotland, Pope. And I'm pretty sure I saw the diplo limit on Castille on my last attempt, that one says something more like "Would put Castille over their diplomatic relationship limit -50" or something.

• Locked thread