Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Going by my one game so far, France definitely seems to have a harder time. Burgundy's stealing all their coastline in 1484 and even the Brits are still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Russia seems pretty hilarious nowadays, the Disaster system means you'll never face the Time of Troubles because Stability is so easy to keep from being negative and now they also have the Western Focus -decision which allows a free westernization if you have a core and no separatism in either Wien, Prague or Gdansk/Danzig.

And while Wien and Prague are pretty tricky to get to since they're in the heart of HRE, getting to Gdansk is no trouble at all once Russia starts doing Russia things since it's a Polish coastal city. Brutally expensive to core of course but I never found myself particularly starved for points.

Also Russian-Scandinavian Alliance for life, not much can stand against this duo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Wiz posted:

I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Anything on the notification issues? For example advisors in the pool dying is impossible to tell apart from hired advisors dying since they both give the same notifications, and protecting trade gives the "unit arrived in province" notification constantly if you have it enabled. The latter is especially annoying since knowing when troops arrive at a province is really useful during wartime but it's unusable if you're protecting trade due to the spam.

Aside from that DLC has been pretty great and it's good to see the bigger bugs getting fixed already.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ukle posted:

Thank you. Might have missed it but when are you hoping this hotfix to be done by and go live?

It's literally bolded directly above the notes. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Patch is out by the way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you play with the music on, the music DLCs are great.

Yeah, it's a bit out of place in a metal remix DLC pack but I really like the new version of Age of Discovery in the most recent one for example. It's very chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xW_V9ep5w&hd=1

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Rumda posted:

okay I haven't played since before wealth of nations just caught up with the dlc whats the main changes I should know about

Considering there's been 7 major patches and 5 major DLCs since then, more things have changed than remained the same and listing everything is not really feasible. You should probably just check through the major changes in the various patch notes from 1.6 and on, or just jump in the game and see for yourself.

You'll have to relearn most of the game all over again either way so I would suggest the latter.

double nine posted:

Do the italians get a choice in the matter via event?

AIs seem to leave automatically, the player gets an event where they can either leave, get +35 prestige and eat a relations hit with the Emperor or stay, get -35 prestige and eat a relations hit with the countries that left.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I wouldn't really recommend Portugal as they start so isolated there's fairly little to do except colonize. And while it's fun to dominate trade, trade is probably the most difficult thing for a newcomer to grasp so jumping right into a huge trading nation is probably not the best first game choice.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Is, uh, this supposed to happen?

They didn't convert or anything.

I like how this same question has been asked at least ten times total in these threads. Truth is stranger than fiction indeed.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it's not like the Ottomans participated in the Thirty Years War on the Protestant side or anything :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War#Ottoman_support

Huh? I assume you misread something since that's exactly what I was saying.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Paradox please release a better African unit models DLC. Pretty please. The whole spearchucker thing is really embarrassing. In the US in particular it's really appalling. It's "maybe I shouldn't get this game" appalling. This may not be your perception since you're not from the US, but as a north american I know how bad it looks and it looks really bad.

Wow, it's been a while since I've last read something this hilariously ignorant and arrogant. Nice job.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I don't think "occasionally bugs out" equals "it's pretty broken", I've very rarely seen something like that happen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

A minor tooltip issue I noticed, the difficulty levels are labeled "None", "Player" and "AI" but the tooltip speaks of "Normal", "Easy" and "Hard". Dunno if that's recent or if it's been like that since the beginning.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Isn't that tooltip for the option below, "AI Difficulty"?

Nah, that one has its own.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Freakus posted:

What's the deal with starting in South America and the types of rebels they spawn? I can't seem to beat them even with 2x their number of troops.

I don't think there's anything special about them, but most nations there are in a very mountainous region and going on the offensive in the mountains puts you at a noticeable disadvantage.

If that's the problem, try dividing your units to lure them into attacking you instead and then join the fight with the rest of your troops afterwards.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's probably unrelated to the DLC but things took a weird turn pretty much right away in the first game I started.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I doubt it's going to happen but it's pretty weird that he even considers doing something like that, makes it seem like there's a pretty big discrepancy between what the developer(s) and the players want from the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Civ 5 was frustrating, in that they made a horrible choice for every good, which was ruined in the end by them doing everything in their power to stop players from enjoying multiplayer, let alone modding.

Civ V became good eventually, but my favorite part about Civ V multiplayer at launch was the fact that it was impossible to manually save the game. You had to rely completely on autosaves and make backups of the autosave files elsewhere if you didn't want them to get overwritten by autosaves from other playthroughs.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hryme posted:

First game? Thats impressive

I finished my first full game about 600 hours in. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Part of me thinks they should just excise the last 50 years and pour their effort into what is now early and mid game. I don't think we'd hear too many complaints.

It'd bring about by far the biggest shitstorm in the history of Paradox games, that's definitely not the way to go about it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Why? I think the vast majority of players are starting at 1444 and few playthroughs last beyond 1750 when the Revolution would fire

If Paradox eliminated the last 50 years of gameplay no one would give a poo poo. I have hundreds of hours played and I can count on one hand the number of times I've played past 1700 because the current system encourages early/mid game.

Aside from the fact that it'd screw over everyone who does play their games to the end, it'd happen because people really, really don't like it when content is cut from a product they've already paid for, especially such a sizeable chunk like that. Whether or not they reach it with any regularity is pretty irrelevant.

I get what you're saying, but on a broader scale I feel like you almost have to be a literal space alien with no idea how humans work to legitimately think that nobody would mind a move like that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not suggesting they chop off the last 50 years of gameplay, but rather that it's really unimportant to most players and why are they spending resources fleshing it out given most/all achievements require a 1444 start?

I get that the upcoming DLC is Rights of Man which ties into the French Revolution but it's so late in the game and the even fires so rarely it's not significant.

I'm questioning the gameplay significance of tweaking Revolution mechanics when it's such a tiny slice of the game which most players never see or bother with.

Are you following some completely different discussion or something? Of course it's unimportant to most players, but my reply was solely to the claim that "If they cut the last 50 years nobody would mind" which is total nonsense and that's what you responded to.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Didn't they mention that fort change quite a while ago already?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Trogdos! posted:

How is everyone's multiplayer? My friend and I are having some really bad connectivity issues in MP after RoM. Everything worked fine a week before but now my friend keeps lagging behind, causing slowdowns and desyncs. It's essentially unplayable due to constant interruptions. The save game transfer also sometimes progresses at a glacial pace.

I got the impression from my more technologically-versed friend that our mp game data passes via a master server in the US (we're in Europe) and that connection keeps timing out / the ping goes up to like 150++, causing the problems :shrug:

For what it's worth, multiplayer works fine for me in Europe.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Supeerme posted:

I am not happy with the way my war has gone thanks to my "Ally" giving 12k troops to my enemy. Although my ally is not fighting with me I do feel that they shouldn't just had over their troops. I have to restart the game thanks to this.

I want to know if that was WAD or the ally was bugged.

This was in 1446 and I was playing as a custom nation in china.

Dunno if it's related in any way but yesterday I had an AI declare war on me and while they had superior numbers, their entire army had been hired as condottieri to a different country so I just took their provinces with zero resistance. Condottieri actions seem a little weird at the moment.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Have we really reached the point where we have some weird strategy game franchise -version of the console wars now?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

50 is really overkill, and I can only really see myself using it on something like an endgame mountain fort or something. I mean, I'd rather just roll another general and hope for siege pips. It should really probably be somewhere in the single digits, maybe a bit higher for late game forts.

You're obviously not meant to use it in every siege or even every other siege, it's just an option you can use in a pinch when you absolutely need to get one done faster. I think 50 is totally fine for that purpose, a single-digit cost would be absurd.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The thing is that you still need to assault. Assaulting can be horrifyingly expensive in terms of the cost to your infantry numbers and therefore money and/or manpower, plus the opportunity cost of your morale and numbers being lowered in enemy territory. I pretty much never assault anymore because I have gotten burned too many times when I have tried. I will never be paying 50 Mil Points for the privilege.

I think until we can use it to try I agree that it is too expensive and 25 may be more reasonable until it gets abused by the playerbase.

Also, doesnt it cost Mil Points to initiate an assault in the first place?

It'll speed up the siege no matter what though, you're not forced to assault just because you breached the walls. I still think it's totally fine as an emergency "This siege needs to end faster" -button and even 25 would probably be too low for it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

spectralent posted:

Yeah Ming's... Pretty strong.

I don't know if it's all the tribute they get but in my current game, despite having a tech penalty of ~40% due to not having embraced Colonialism yet, they're 2 years ahead of time in Admin tech which is 4-6 techs ahead of everyone around them.

Not super strange by itself or anything, but on top of that they've also completed all 3 available idea sets in their entirety. They're really racking in the admin points.

Also I've noticed a couple of the usual post-patch bugged events. The permanent tech cost reduction to admin and diplomacy I got from a Japanese event expired the next day. :v:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 7, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Apparently the next expansion will be titled "Third Rome" and will expand on Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Playstation 4 posted:

Cool, tell us of your opinions on cheevo sanctity and the "cazhul in may VIJEMOGAMZ'" menace next.

Playstation 4 posted:

Fix them all you want, there's nothing wrong with it. Acting as though using it is a problem and moral failing is.

I suspect that you might be the one taking things too seriously here.

• Locked thread