Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OneTwentySix posted:

I just got the 1001 achievement around 1700 with Ottomans last time I played. I kinda did a gimmick run, though, where I converted to Catholic and then Protestant, and became Emperor (another 10% coring discount, plus vassal swarm!) after winning the 30 years war, so you don't need to go as crazy as I did and should be fine. You're asking a lot less, but in case anyone else wanted to try, here's what I did...

Gave this a quick shot today and man, you aren't kidding about the start being hectic. I'm sure I could do better now that I have a bit of a feel for it, but that many wars in the first twenty years plus intentionally rebelling yourself catholic is a world of hurt.

Also, after I converted and wanted to release Syria, it warned me that they would release as Sunni, even though I was catholic, their provinces were catholic, and catholic was presumably the dominant faith. Anyone know what the problem was there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Is there any way to declare war on a free city without the emperor joining, or am I going to have to wait for religious leagues or something to grab motherfucking Friesland out from under giga-Austria's nose while they park sixty thousand men right next to my border?

Their only ally is also a free city

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What's the current strategy for getting a Byzantium Basileus run off the ground? None of the large powers are willing to ally me (and Byzantium also seems to start out with negative trust towards them for some reason).

You need a +diplomatic reputation advisor to have any hope as Byz.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Should religious ideas be my first pick as Byz if I'm going for Basileus? I kind of want to go maritime, mediocre as it is, so that I can compete with Venice for galleys without taking out fifteen loans.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Well, today I got Basileus (with a Valois Emperor, no less), and also witnessed the AI form Italy for the first time ever. I then realized that AI Italy is absolutely pant shittingly terrifying and I should have been busting my rear end trying to prevent Naples from doing that rather than wasting years of dicking around managing vassals trying to get the Balkans under control. I scraped the achievement but I somehow don't think I'm going to keep going with this game; I'm basically in a cycle of the Adriatic coast getting reconquered by 500000 soldiers from the Franco-Italo-Polish alliance, followed by me going begging to Russia/Prussia/whoever so I have a chance to get them back in the next war, followed by 500000 more citizens of the world running roughshod over me as soon as the truce expires, with intermittent Mamluk invasions doing just enough to force me to divide my attention. This cycle has basically completely destroyed Prussia and Russia is starting to crumble too, last time I checked their Crimean provinces were getting invaded by Bengal. What I took away from this run is that you really want to move fast on conquering Anatolia/the Levant/Egypt or you're never going to get there at all. Maybe I should give that Ven->Byz trick another shot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If Poland doesn't rival Ottos at game start it can be difficult to get them (or anyone else) to do any sort of heavy lifting for you, which is why I prefer galley spam as an opening play.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I ran a deficit to build a bunch of galleys to block the straits but I was the first war Ottomans declared, so their armies were still in Greece at the start. The amount of poo poo that has to line up perfectly to even get Byzantium started is ridiculous.

Yeah, if that happens you will generally lose regardless of what allies you get. Starts like Byz really make me wish there was a simple "restart game" button on the menu, the way the game start works is such that many weaker countries are simply hosed some percent of the time and having to quit out and load back in just because RNG wasn't happy is slow and annoying. Byz isn't even close to the worst start for this either.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Get Common Sense

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Yeah I'm finding war is less a "have the best army" and more a chess game of dodging and weaving until the time is right. Its kind of fun once you figure out how it works.

So I won the war, yay! Now...how do I give all these territories I DON'T want to like Lithuania or something like that? How do I vassalize the now scattered Teutonic order?

Edit: Pomerania took Danzig, and I want/need Danzig. How do I get that from them peacefully?

You probably don't. The AI doesn't want to get rid of territory any more than you do and there's only a few circumstances under which it will ever give up a province voluntarily. So your options are vassalization or war (or both).

To vassalize peacefully you need to have an alliance and +190 relations with a target quite a lot weaker than yourself, it's under influence options in their diplomacy menu. Pomerania is probably not weak enough that they will agree to be vassalized, especially if they have Danzig. Teutonic Order after a first war might be, but if you conquered any of their core province then they'll be mad about that and will refuse to be your vassals. So the best way would be to declare war again once your truce has expired, vassalize them in the peace deal, use the fact that they have a core province in Danzig to declare war on Pomerania, give Danzig to the Teutons in the peace, then begin to diplomatically annex the Teutons. It'll take a while but probably won't make as much trouble as just trying to immediately grab Danzig yourself. Disregard this, I totally forgot about the historical rivals modifier which is a huge pain in the rear end. In that case yeah it'll be hard to get Danzig.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 6, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Trying out the Venice -> Byzantium setup. Am I missing something, or how do I convert to Orthodox to eventually form Byzantium? I accepted Orthodox Zealot demands but they just enforced tolerance on me rather than switching state religion. Tried it again and let the Orthodox Zealots siege my capital and enforce demands, still no flipping state religion.

Majority of your provinces need to be orthodox or something like that

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BBJoey posted:

I wonder how the custom naming works with regnal numbers. If Martin 'Daneslayer''s father was Martin I, will Martin Jr. be Martin II 'Daneslayer' or Martin 'Daneslayer' I? Will it be Gustav N Adolf or Gustav Adolf N? I guess a simple solution would be to base regnal numbers on only the first name. Would that run into any problems with historical leaders of the period?

Yeah. The Friedrich Wilhelms of Prussia get their own numbers separate from either the Friedrichs or the Wilhelms. I'm sure there's other cases as well, plenty of double barreled names in the period.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fat Turkey posted:

Watched some tutorials, got a feel, gonna kick off this weekend.

Do you keep Lucky Nations on Historic or Random? I know it gives bonuses to the historically dominant nations to keep them strong and dominant in this game, but to people tend to play with the historic side, or switch to random to get some crazy Brittany controlling France shenanigans?

Turn it off imo. Lucky nation bonuses are Real Good and a lucky France or Ottos or whatever isn't something you want to deal with right as you're learning the ropes. It also increases the potential for wacky shenanigans because neither the big powers, as in historical, or whoever, as in random, have a magical safety net to keep them from exploding after a few bad wars.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

1.14 sounds amazing.

They absolutely should be. And the Emperor shouldn't be allowed to attack Free Cities either probably.

He already isn't, you can only get dragged into war with a free city.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Thanks guys. One more trade question: What should I be doing with my light ships? When I set them to boost trade or whatever the option's called and get the list of where to send them, I mouseover each one and it looks like I get the most out of just sending them to my home node. Is there any more to it than what's indicated in the tooltip? It seems a bit simple. Might I make more sending them to a node I'm steering from if I don't have much strength there for example?

Don't trust those tooltips. Experiment and see what raises your trade income.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Surely parliamentary debates are going to get reworked to fit with the new estate system.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So my Bahmanis->Hindustan game was quite fun and I'd really recommend an unifying-India run to anybody who is burnt out on Europe, it's much more blobbable and if your starting nation is at all decent you can pretty much keep on feeding and annexing and feeding your vassals right up till you hit Iran on one side and China on the other, while colonizing the entire eastern coast of Africa and the entire East Indies even if you are poo poo at this game, like me. However my hopes of being a Sikh and getting badass permanent modifiers did not come to fruition. I think I broke Sikhism somehow, they showed up in one of my provinces and sat around for a while, but I couldn't convert through the religion menu, I never got an event to convert as far as I noticed, and I couldn't force convert because sending a missionary only stirred up the local nationalists and not zealots. Sikhs never showed up in any other province and I didn't see any further events concerning them before the province randomly event-converted back to Shia in the mid-18th century. I think my next game will be Delhi->Mughals and I'd like to convert the right way this time. How do I get Sikh gains, bros?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Details are escaping me but wasn't this update supposed to include a more fleshed out version of the region mechanics? I'd like to see something like that being used to push the AI away from blobbing in places it probably shouldn't blob. So Iberian nations may grab the odd Maghreb province (as actually happened) but will be a little less inclined to try and work that into a total conquest of Morocco because it's not in their native region. Not sure exactly what malus you would get to make it reasonable to not conquer much outside your region though, which kind of brings it back around to the original problem.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Deport The Irish posted:

I think you're a little off. People play to expand because there is nothing interesting about internal politics, rather than expansion being inherently fun. I've a number of runs doing dumb poo poo like releasing minors and feeding them their parent country (welcome to the kiev-kiev commonkiev) or westernizing the Aztec and liberating every CN. I would kill for engaging internal politics, sine once you're the most powerful country in the world, painting the map is just tedium.

Yeah this. I would really like a system that tries to model maybe generals, advisors, diplomats/missionaries/colonists, local magnates, and royals more as people than as optional modifiers. It would have to be on a limited scale -- nothing as in depth as CK but maybe just a little more character to your people, a sense that you're ruling more than just a blob on a map. I'm sure it would make the game unplayably slow though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If I declare war on the ally of a free city and call them in as a co-belligerent, are they going to call the emperor in? They don't have any actual allies so if the answer is no, I'm going to jump those fuckers first chance I get.

Also, I seem to recall reading something about being able to keep your old ideas when forming a new nation. Did this ever get patched in or am I imagining it?

e: actually looking it up it doesn't seem like Hannover has any ideas, so I assume I'd keep my sweet hamburglar ideas anyway. But still wondering about the first thing

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 7, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

I've read through the thread from the release of Cossacks to here. I am impressed with the wide variety of opinions on Estates. Otherwise it seems like the changes/additions are pretty great? I am debating if I want to buy Cossacks because I doubt I'll like Estates and I am poor right now, but I love me some EU4 and miss playing it. Other than a Horde what is a good country to play as right now?

Hamburg. It's new, the ideas are great, and you're generally in a really good position to dominate Lübeck or even English Channel trade, shoot for Westphalia or Hanover, colonize, eat the Low Countries, eat Denmark, form Germany, or whatever. Lot of different directions to go for an OPM start, just watch your AE.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You usually shouldn't be getting coalitioned for taking one Low Countries province at a time, as long as you take only one at a time and bleed off that AE opinion malus between conquests. Forming the Netherlands is not something you can rush and it can be massively annoying if the emperor decides to make Utrecht free or whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Form Prussia, then form Germany

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What map mod is this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This could be just me forgetting my key shortcuts, but was the ability to mass select ships only removed? I thought it used to be alt-click, but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Starting my first Ironman Venice run and I'm a bit lost. What are the preferred idea groups for a republic? I befriended Austria to make the Ottomans think twice about getting fresh, and plan to form Italy for the achievement.

So, just wait until the HRE leaves the peninsula and then swallow everyone? I'm planning to snag Ragusa when the Ottos are busy elsewhere, then maybe dip south for the alexandria trde nodes while they are busy battling the Ottomans.

Also, are marches really that much better than regular vassals for warfare?

Plutocratic is really good and I basically never find myself in a situation as a republic where I don't want to take it as one of my first few groups. For Venice specifically, Trade is a good first diplo group because you want merchants and they are hard to come by otherwise. You will often want Humanist as a first admin group for Venice since your easiest avenue of expansion early on is eating the Orthodox minors, but if you are going full Italy it might be easier to go Administrative first because it makes it a lot easier to run with loads of mercs and the coring discount is great for high development Italian provinces.

Marches aren't hugely superior to vassals, but they can definitely make the difference if you are evenly matched with your enemy otherwise just because they have more staying power in wars than a regular vassal does.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

Just needs a dynamic historical event like the Burgundian Inheritance or Iberian Union. Same with the Qing conquests.

There actually is an event chain related to it, but it's really hard to trigger due to some weird conditions. Specifically Persia needs to exist and not be allied with Ottos between 1500 and 1520 for the chain to even begin. Then there's like five events where Venice and the Mamluks need to choose to keep the chain going and after all that, the Ottos get a claim on all Mamluk provinces. But that's almost certainly going to be more than 100 warscore worth anyway, so it's basically never going to duplicate the abruptness of the historical outcome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Eventually I'd like to see a distinction between dynastic states and nation-states. Dynastic states should be highly ruler-dependent and vanish irrevocably if their line dies out or is sufficiently discredited. It doesn't really make sense to claim the title of "Sultan of the Timurids" they way it makes sense to claim the title of "Sultan of Egypt".

This would be really cool and a more elegant way of modeling things like the Burgundian succession or the collapse of Mamluk power than the current system, but is probably too much work for Paradox to actually attempt.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I use about 1 infantry merc:2 regular for the early game, usually getting closer to 1:1 as time goes on. The maintenance cost can mostly be defrayed by lowering maintenance unless you're about to be in a fight.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I'll lower military maintenance at the start of the game, but once wars start going on and I have rebel potential, I'd rather not risk taking extra separatism years when a rebel sieges a province successfully. There may be a more optimal strategy.

Really wish you could mothball individual armies like you can fleets. It would make much more sense from a mechanical point of view as well as verisimilitude. In fact I could have sworn they mentioned something like that in a dev diary at some point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want them to bring back the ability to build from the ledger. You used to be able to sort all your provinces by base tax (for example) and then click a button to build a temple. For whatever reason they removed that functionality with Common Sense.

Wait, you could? I remember being able to do this in EU3, but never EU4.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Castile was the baby pick in EU3, which is probably why it remains a common suggestion. It's lost most of the qualities that made it a perfect choice, like relative diplomatic isolation - France never did things like care about Navarra or really give any indication that they knew about the existence of anything beyond the Pyrenees in EU3. Portugal is the better Iberian nation for newbies for sure, now.

Portugal is a very boring rec for new players. It will teach you how to colonize, but not much else. Ottomans can be fun even if you don't know what you're doing, but I think France is probably the best start for someone who wants a pretty easy start for similar reasons: plenty of flavor, the geography gives you clear goals, you have a decent selection of wimp neighbors to beat up and can probably find at least one strong ally, you aren't immediately up against the wall if one nasty alliance against you forms, and (unlike Ottos) you don't need to worry about wrong culture/religion problems right off the bat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I have to say I still don't much like the random new world generation. It's a cool idea and I'm glad they put it in the game at all, but it has WAY too high a propensity for giant archipelagoes and maybe one actual continent. It's like I'm really exploring Earthsea. It's just kind of boring to have so much sea area and so little contiguous land, and it virtually never happens to produce anything even vaguely resembling the Americas for size.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

Didnt they admit to that and they plan on adding more "tiles" to the ones available for the RNG to use? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I recall the same thing but I thought they already made whatever tweak they were going to. Or maybe it fell by the wayside after two patches like every other expansion. Whatever, that's the modular expansions business model I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's the real reason behind why it's unrealistically easy to conquer poo poo within the HRE. If say, every member of the HRE guarantees every other member permanently, then you don't go to war for 300 years and the game will be boring as gently caress because its simulation of internal politics and HRE centralization is extremely minimal to nonexistent. Because it's a game about map painting.

Did the mod that reduces the map to just a more-detailed map of the HRE actually change any gameplay stuff to reflect this kind of thing? Or is it just the same as the main game where you need to pick out the opportune moment to grow up into a mid power one province at a time so you can get emperor and then roll over everyone else?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think you could bolt on enough systems to make hundreds of years without war fun. That doesn't work even in CK2, which despite its much greater focus on internal politics is ironically also terrible at an even slightly realistic HRE simulation. You would basically need it to be an entirely different sort of game.

e: which is not to say an HRE focused expansion with all those things you listed wouldn't be cool and good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

How would giving you fewer choices lead to less sameyness?

Because every game you would need to choose different groups to suit your situation, as opposed to now where you get enough groups that every nation you play will have some overlap. I don't think it's a good solution, or even really a problem since for most of the game you basically do have only a couple idea groups, but that's the concept.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That's pretty much right. Go further south (Caribbean islands, anywhere on the Gulf of Mexico, and northern Brazil are all good ideas) and you'll make more money. Caribbean is the most important new world node for Iberian nations because as you will notice it's the only one which routes direct to Sevilla. You can also make good money by pushing into west Africa with an eventual view to routing Indian trade round the Cape.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Changing the entire technology system is a pretty big difference. This also adds stuff like declaring war during regencies and ruler traits that people have been asking for for a while. I don't think any of these DLCs is priced super well at $20, but comparing it to Mare Nostrum is over the top in my opinion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You can buy merc? Is that a paid feature for Mare Nostrum or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

If you want it to be more historical, have the tribes be fully fledged nations at the start but by 1500 have some sort of epidemic counter that ticks up unless you change certain aspects of the culture. If it reaches certain points, have it lay waste to the certain provinces and revert them to colonalzieable or something.

This would be pretty hard to set up, but if you could get it to work it would be a pretty cool mechanic for like, the actual game.

• Locked thread