Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

In all fairness, I think the Ming seemed kind of super boned historically anyway :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ShootaBoy posted:

So a friend just bought me this game, intending for us to do MP. Now my question is how crap is the tutorial in this? I'm a CK2 vet, so the idea of a decent tutorial is foreign to me.

EU4 has a tutorial???

Just play it and figure it out. It's pretty similar to CK2, and the game does a good enough job explaining itself as you go along. Castille is usually a good country for new players.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I think the biggest problem with Random New World is the lack of serious continents. Even that spine of the world one, despite at least trying something weird and different, is still substantially smaller than the Americas which leads to a ton of just blank empty ocean. I tried a couple RNW setups when they did the revamp and apart from the spine one and another one that had three continents that together made up a proper New World, more often than not it was just a few small isolated islands here and there and half a planet of empty ocean. North and South America are actually really big, and parts of them get surprisingly close to Europe/Africa. You tend not to get that with the random new world.

Yeah, that's my main problem with it. It all just feels like a much shittier version of the spice islands/Polynesia that really doesn't feel like a "New World" as much as "Oh hey, the Indies really do just kind of keep going!"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Transmetropolitan posted:

what

Can't watch youtube now because work, mind explaining that?

He's been intentionally taking bad idea groups as a handicap. Gotta get that increased prestige from naval battles!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I also find vassals to be nice for cleaning up random bullshit that I don't feel like actually getting an army and marching it around to do.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Trogdos! posted:

Are there any tips for using mercs? Since EU3 I've just built big army stacks out of regular troops and almost never used mercs because I don't know how to incorporate them into my stacks that are at "max size" regarding supply/combat width/transport fleets.

I generally use them if I'm in the middle of a war out of manpower and need a bit more to throw at the enemy. Later in the game when I have the money, I'll also occasionally keep a stack of them to take the front lines before reinforcing quickly with my actual troops to save a bit more manpower.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Making sure Austria gets murdered seems like a good start. Going protestant if most of the other potential candidates are catholic or vice versa and trying to get the league war to turn out in your favor also will probably help.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

The key to an easy Byzantium victory is restart until Poland and Hungary aren't rivals and Poland rivals the ottos. Ally with both and wait. They will attack you or ten years later use your favors to launch an assault yourself. You still might lose as the AI is dumb but it's your best shot.

I got lucky and managed this first try in the Byzantium campaign I did recently.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

It's hard to tell how much control you're going to have over your tech speed as a practical matter in the ROTW.

I wonder how frustrating it's going to be or how easily you'll be able to gain institutions if you focus on it.

Institution spread from developing seems like it could be really helpful for that. In fact, it's the first thing that came to mind when I read that new feature.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, that's a little exasperating. There's a better climate mod on the workshop though.

Really glad to see the RNW getting more love, though!

Yeah, I was worried they might give up on it after the last tweaking still didn't make it good, but it's good to see they're keeping on with it. Hopefully this will be something they keep expanding on with each new patch.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

From developing, not development.

It seems pretty expensive though (+5 out of 100 for developing a 30 dev province) but one of the devs used it to great effect during the stream and is still ahead on tech so I'm probably misunderstanding something. Maybe it's +5 per month rather than just a flat +5 boost?

I think most of the ROTW will actually get harder than it is right now, keeping up on the institutions is gonna be an expensive undertaking. Significantly more fun though, not having the tech penalty at the beginning is gonna make so much difference.

Plus when you finally manage to get a border with a western nation it'll be a lot more fun just having the institutions spread into the country and gradually remove the tech penalty rather than having to go through the giant pain in the rear end that is westernizing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lori posted:

Poland is the strongest country in the game imo.

Yeah, it's probably for the best they're losing lucky status in the next patch seeing as they've just dominated all of eastern Europe in like my last 3 games in a row.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Guildencrantz posted:

Late to the party here, but I'm honestly really surprised by all the people saying late game content is useless. Personally I'm pretty thrilled about revolutionary factions, since any campaign I play that gets off the ground usually gets to the end.

I tend to play conservatively, though. I push my way to becoming a major power and then pull my punches until 1750, at which point I artificially engineer the Revolution and go HULK SMASH on everyone with the insane bonuses. I can't be the only one who does this, the lategame in EU4 is really fun when it's not just boring cleanup.

Honestly anyone who can't find challenge late game is probably just not looking hard enough.

*Takes 250% overextension and proceeds to declare war on half of the world*

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

You can't be the pope, you can't have formed the HRE, you can't be a horde, and you must be Christian or Pagan.

Wait, so the Ottomans can't do it? That seems weird...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The only way to get pretty borders as France is to go right for the HRE though, and that takes far too long...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Was there a list of new achievements for this expansion?

In a few hours, probably.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

This is my first time getting past the 1700s in EUIV, and...

It's 1745 now. The game freezes every week or so for a good ten seconds. Is this my computer (it's got like a ten-year-old processor) or is this a known issue?

The game slows down pretty hard around that time. I think that's the first time I've heard of it getting that bad, though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

I have a mechanics question. I've got an Austria game going, and I'd like to declare war on Venice to take the last three provinces they have in my neighbourhood. The thing is, there's a small coalition against me from my (failed) efforts to reign in Italy. However, Venice is for some reason not a member of the coalition, despite me repeatedly beating them up and taking their land. Their ally, Savoy is a member. On the declare war screen it says Savoy will join, and they have a +100 Coalition War modifier. None of the other coalition member show up on the declare war screen. My question is: if I declare on Venice, will the rest of the coalition join in, or just Savoy?

Also, how on earth do you reign in Italy without getting coalitioned into oblivion? It seems you have to take/vassalise a lot of high-development land really quickly. Just taking more than two provinces as a time from Venice would have been enough to get me coalitioned, let alone everything you have to take from Ferrara, Papal State, etc. I tried making Venice release a province so I could vassalise them diplomatically and avoid the AE, but the development difference penalty was way too high. I had a Better Relations Over Time advisor for most of the time but I was still constantly waiting for my AE to drop so I could take more land.

The coalition will not be called in. I'm pretty sure that modifier is meant to say 'this person is in a coalition against you, and probably won't pass up an opportunity to kill you'

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yashichi posted:

I'd love to kill them all but I don't think there's a way for me to conquer North Africa by December 1444

Then clearly you are not being creative enough :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now that the new expansion's out I'm back into EU4. I'm playing Papal States and my goal is to unify Italy into the Kingdom of God. Should I join the HRE as soon as I'm able so the Emperor (Austria who loves me and I'm allied with) won't get pissy at me for steamrolling the northern Italian minors? I'm not sure how the HRE and Papal States work since they're stuck at Kingdom-level government.

Northern Italy leaves the empire bye event fairly quickly, so there's no real reason to join the HRE for that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elman posted:

Is there something wrong with the "pop up and pause when one of my units get attacked" feature? It keeps failing to work for me, I get notified every single time I get attacked by natives yet when an Austrian 50k stack attacks me while I'm microing in the other side of the world, I don't get a popup :psyduck:

(And yeah, I checked, it's enabled in my message settings)

I noticed that it only pops up if the enemy is attacking you. If you set some troops to march somewhere and they run into an enemy stack it doesn't say anything. Other than that it's been working fine for me.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hammerstein posted:

I play as Ottomans and it's only 1609 - what are my options from here ? Makuria is already a vassal and venturing deeper into Africa seems to give little treasure. Europe would be a long and bloody affair. I could gobble up the remains of Persia and expand towards India or head north to take the Crimea.

At this point, it's less "what are my options?" and more "what do I feel like doing?" You're practically unstoppable, so just expand whichever way you feel like and to hell with any AI that thinks they can stop you.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Minding my own business as the PLC, beating up Muscovy. I see a stability hit. Oh, I got a new ruler, looks like a Habsburg. Keep smashing Muscovy, humiliate my rival, wait a few more minute. See another popup. I am now the senior in a PU over Austria. :v:

Beats the hell out of my "Brandenburg gets an heir like a month before the ruler dies denying you a PU and also decides to rival you" game I just had.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

You gotta build up that trust.

But then how am I supposed to make them pay for slighting me by ripping them to pieces and watching them die a painful and humiliating death?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Grr. It's 1590 and I need 3 provinces to form the Kingdom of God: Piedmont and Milan (owned by regional power Savoy) and HRE territory Südtirol (owned by Austria, who are uncharacteristically small). I'm filthy rich because I own both Genoa and Venezia but not rich enough that I can fight off Savoy's best friend France or the HRE. Guess I'm expanding southward to finish off Naples and beat up some Muslim states.

Maybe ally France and try to drag them into a war on your side?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I think it's an issue with the Fate of the Crimean Khanate event. If Crimea has a bunch of vassals (typically Theodoro, Circassia, sometimes others), the Ottomans gain all of them as vassals, and can wind up with like 7-8 diplomatic relations.

That still doesn't really explain them being 3 mil techs behind the natives. Or does the AI try to avoid unbalanced research that hard?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Is there a way to ask an ally to give you (or a co-ally) control of an occupied province? There is in HoI4, so I'm hoping it's just buried somewhere.

Very annoying situation. I promised Poland some land to help me fight the Ottomans. The province I want to give Poland is occupied by Moldavia--Poland's own march. The treaty screen only lets me give the province to Moldava, resulting in a -20 trust hit with Poland, which I really don't want to eat.

Generally, if the AI is willing to give you control of it, they'll give you control of it and let you sort out who you want to control it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jsor posted:

God drat it, I get called into a defensive war against France/Ottomans as Castille with approximately a billion allies including Austria. We pretty much full siege France (the enemy war leader) and are at about 75 warscore. Bleed all of my manpower and take five loans fighting a bloody war. Austria gives me Bearn and pretty much does nothing else instead of doing the smart thing of dismantling France as much as possible. Or at least making them annul with the Ottomans.

And that is why you say gently caress the trust/relations hit and separate peace to get what you want.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

This is actually cool and good, screw you guys :colbert:

It's nice to see some analysis to confirm that just pumping up to 10 production is generally a safe bet.

It looks like 10 at first, then add 5 more over every hundred years.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

My feeling is that the process of reversing history and getting/staying technologically on par with the Europeans, as a non-European, should be hard. It should feel like an accomplishment - otherwise, what's the difference between playing as a european nation and a non-european other than your colour on the map?

Old 'westernization' certainly wasn't historical, but it accomplished the goal of being a difficult, draining process. I actually haven't played with the new expansion yet (:sweatdrop:), but it sounds like it's just dumping a bunch of development into one province and then paying a bunch of cash. A tax on non-Europeans, but not a threat in the way that westernization events & revolt risk could be. That's not very exciting to me, and of course it doesn't seem exceptionally historical either.

I'd love to be wrong on this. Someone tell me why/how institutions are more exciting than the old westernization process - is there more fun to be had with it than "mash the develop button as Korea and steal all the institutions before Europe gets them"?

Stealing institutions is actually very difficult/unlikely. They're all still far more likely to spawn in Europe. And developing for institutions is not that much more points efficient than tanking the tech penalty. Add to that that Westernization was really just pay a bunch of points, wait, and spend some money/manpower dealing with events and rebels, and I don't see how the old system could be called better in really any way.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elman posted:

That seems like kind of a step back after they made it so wastelands can be colored by conquering everything around them.

I think it's only wastelands that wouldn't be colored. Regardless, I think I've found my new motivation for colonizing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dali Parton posted:

Yo how do I stop getting ganked by AI? Or at least, how can I get my AI buddies to help me gank?

I'm rollin up on some fine French territory, my 20k army hits the French 20k army, we're about to win... and then out from the cuts comes another 15k army by a french ally to help curbstomp me.

I look back and my allies are sitting on their forts or running around in circles with more than enough men to help out, but they dont.

As a general rule, always assume AI allies will act as dumb as possible at all times. Only trust them to fight if they are literally moving to the province.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

There isn't, the language describing the new rules includes all the expected language to support multiple forts per area.

But yeah, we really need Seige Ability from military tech or something.

The AI will probably only ever have 1 per area, though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent been able to play at all since Rights of Man came out but based on the posting in this thread, doing what you are saying sounds both popular and easy to pull off, which makes me think that it is likely to get nerfed - so I have to ask, are there any bad side effects to doing it that I havent seen/am not aware of having not played at all?

If you spawn an institution, it'll still spread to your neighbors, even though you paid a ton if monarch points for it and they didn't. This can lead to other nations around you out-teching you pretty easily.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

Apparently there's an exploit where you can royal marry Ming and then insult them, which'll drop their stability or something (I don't really understand it), which makes them lose the Mandate of Heaven and probably explode. I haven't tried it personally though.

The idea was that they'd break their royal marriage and take a stability hit. Apparently, that exploit is why the AI doesn't lose stability for breaking a royal marriage anymore.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I must be blind. I thought you were able to give a custom nation in a non feudal part of the world feudalism to start. Can't find the button to do so. :confused:

I'm pretty sure you just need to make your government non-tribal. That worked when I did it at least.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So after playing ck2 and stellaris for a bazillion hours I've finally decided to take the time to learn eu4! I know the advice is to start as a large kingdom like the ottomans or Spain, but are there any good starts as a medium power? I've always liked the idea of playing as a theocracy and I know that you can be a bishopric or the Papal States in this game...

Pope is definitely a good start (I think that was actually my first campaign). Just remember that the emperor will stop protecting the other Italians around 1500, so you won't have to worry about the Austrians protecting them forever.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

snoremac posted:

New question. I'm just trying to understand any new mechanic that pops up. Why did Hungary give me (England) a gift of gold when I've had no interaction with them and their opinion of me is 0? My closest affiliation to them is a mutual alliance with Austria. I'm currently at war with the Ottomans, who they border but are not at war with, or even consider an enemy or rival. They are a rival of Milan, a co-belligerent in the war on the Ottomans' side.

You are at war with their rival, that's probably good enough for them. They also may be threatened by the Ottomans, but I'm not sure how much the AI cares about that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Beamed posted:

If it weren't for the issue whjere the AI would seemingly just ignore it in the HRE, yeah.

Or, in a good number of cases, outside the HRE. It was a good system if/when the AI actually followed it. Haven't played with the new rules yet, though, so I can't really complain about them changing it yet.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eh, current fort costs have been reasonable in all of my campaigns. Though it might help to make them a little cheaper to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

Sorry if this is an often asked question.

I have the base game but no DLC. How much is it playable vs how much should I wait until the DLC goes on sale before I start playing? New to EU4. From what I can tell the big ones are Common Sense and Art of War.

Other question: must have mods? I am a newbie to any EU, played a bit of CK2 a while ago.

The base game (no DLC or mods) is perfectly fine. I'd recommend messing around in it to get used to things if you feel like playing.

• Locked thread